Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I played through the whole campaign in Remnant and found like 3 or 4 new primary weapons the entire time, and only had enough spare darksouls titanite to to upgrade one to the same level as my starting coach gun which I had been using all game. Then it turned out that devastator crossbow was basically just a worse version of my coach gun with the same damage per shot but only 1 shot before reloading and a much longer reload time. And effective range that was barely any different since it shot a 5-shot horizontal spread of arrows!

Most of the weapons you get are drops from bosses, and each boss is like a 50/50 or something between 2 different drops, so it's very possible to just see no new guns and get a bunch of boss melee weapons instead.

The starting coach gun is really satisfying though. It has a much better effective range / tighter spread than most videogame shotguns, so you can run around headshotting baddies with it no problem. And the double-barrel shotgun reload is fun! Too bad the rest of the shotguns in Remnant didn't learn from that lesson... the others are just glorified melee weapons like typical videogame shotguns.

devastator is incredible with slayer armor, probably my most-used weapon overall. it's usable at longer ranges than most weapons too.

the bosses that can drop 2 weapons choose which one to give you based on how you killed them. If you destroy the ent's legs before killing it you get a dumb melee weapon, if you don't then you get a single-shot shotgun with an altfire AOE rot grenade which rules.

Brain In A Jar posted:

I picked up Hyper Light Drifter since it's on sale and the chain dash move can eat and savour my entire rear end.

The timing is incredibly tight to pull it off, and worse than that it scales up in terms of timing, getting increasingly faster, so to activate it you need to press the dash button again at something like 0.7s, then 0.5s, and only then does it become a continuous rhythm.

This feels like absolute poo poo to do on a controller, and in my experience only works like 33% of the time.

I was having so much trouble with it that I ended up googling out of frustration and there's dozens of reddit posts of people complaining about this dogshit mechanic and getting nothing but walls of 'git gud' in return, so now I know how people who didn't click with Dark Souls feel I guess.

my biggest issue with it was that once your chain is 3 long or so, grazing a wall at even the slightest angle instantly knocks you down and takes away your controls for awhile which felt absolutely terrible.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Playing Divinity 2 coop and its pissing me off with its enemies and their AI. Namely how seemingly everything has a goddam teleport of some kind, and a suicidal need to jump one single character. I'm talking 'willingly move, taking two full attacks of oppourtunity from the melee people literally stabbing them to get a single shot off at this one character' level of suicidal. Every loving fight.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ShootaBoy posted:

Playing Divinity 2 coop and its pissing me off with its enemies and their AI. Namely how seemingly everything has a goddam teleport of some kind, and a suicidal need to jump one single character. I'm talking 'willingly move, taking two full attacks of oppourtunity from the melee people literally stabbing them to get a single shot off at this one character' level of suicidal. Every loving fight.

This had the effect of making it easier in a sense because we just ended up baiting the AI, and it fell for it most of the time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ShootaBoy posted:

I think the AI does prioritise the more vulnerable characters heavily, yeah. Particularly bad when it's an AI archer.

That said, you can equip a shield on basically any character, so you shouldn't have any "squishy mages" in the team with terrible physical armour.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Its not worth having perks like Glass Cannon because foes will always account for that. There's nothing random about the AI in DOS2, it's a chess bot that wants to gently caress the play.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

I think the AI does prioritise the more vulnerable characters heavily, yeah. Particularly bad when it's an AI archer.

That said, you can equip a shield on basically any character, so you shouldn't have any "squishy mages" in the team with terrible physical armour.

Not only should you give your mages shields for defense, you should give them all a single point in warfare to get shield throw. It scales entirely off the shields defense, so all your mages can get a cheap ranged multi-target physical attack that deals solid damage with almost no stat investment. Because of the way armor works in DOS2, this is extremely useful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Reminds me of Shadowrun, I think the second one? Where the AI just *kept* going for my MC, to the point of ignoring my melee person loving them up just to take shots at the guy in the far back. One mission had (iirc) monsters in a cage and after spending time in the hack zone to get the door open, instead of the monsters rushing the bad guys right next to them they instead rushed my MC again :argh:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Try putting less points in Deliciousness.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

After starting a replay of Vampyr recently it occurred to me that this game really should have been called Dr. Acula. Huge missed opportunity on the developers part there.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Debunk This! posted:

After starting a replay of Vampyr recently it occurred to me that this game really should have been called Dr. Acula. Huge missed opportunity on the developers part there.

ok JD

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've been marathoning the crash bandicoot trilogy this week and crash's exuberant crotch-chopping dance every time you get a collectable wears a little thin

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Lone Badger posted:

Try putting less points in Deliciousness.

You will not stop my Deliciousness build.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

i've been marathoning the crash bandicoot trilogy this week and crash's exuberant crotch-chopping dance every time you get a collectable wears a little thin

Honestly it's not the crotch chopping, it's that they make you WATCH the crotch chopping. You must watch Crash release the collectible from his gullet. Every time.

edit: Fond memories of that one level of Crash 1 which has like fifty crates on the bonus rounds, so if you miss them you beat the level and then get to watch fifty individual crates fall on Crash's head and knock him unconscious for a straight minute. :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Aug 6, 2022

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Star Wars the Force Unleashed: When fighting the Bull Rancor, all you do is bait it into charging, dodge, then hit its leg with your standard combo. The second phase against Maris Brood also is not great because it is too easy to keep attacking her even when she becomes invisible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mamkute posted:

Star Wars the Force Unleashed: When fighting the Bull Rancor, all you do is bait it into charging, dodge, then hit its leg with your standard combo. The second phase against Maris Brood also is not great because it is too easy to keep attacking her even when she becomes invisible.

I had fun playing both of those games a couple months back, but there are a ton of fights you can just cheese through because some of your moves are just a bit OP.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CJacobs posted:

Honestly it's not the crotch chopping, it's that they make you WATCH the crotch chopping. You must watch Crash release the collectible from his gullet. Every time.

edit: Fond memories of that one level of Crash 1 which has like fifty crates on the bonus rounds, so if you miss them you beat the level and then get to watch fifty individual crates fall on Crash's head and knock him unconscious for a straight minute. :allears:

I dunno about this version but I was pretty sure on the original playstation you could skip his dance in the third game and also maybe the second. I never played the first. Just press X or O or start or whatever

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

I dunno about this version but I was pretty sure on the original playstation you could skip his dance in the third game and also maybe the second. I never played the first. Just press X or O or start or whatever

I just confirmed you cannot, watching crash crotch-chop for the fiftieth time or so

this boy needs to ease off before he goes blind

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah I believe in 3 at least you can skip the dance and spare the rod, so to speak, but you do still have to watch him belch up the collectibles.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've never had any trouble with cutscenes before but Horizon Forbidden West's feel so drawn out and dull. It's pretty much the first time through a game like this I'm actively skipping them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Playing some more Mario Kart since some dlc tracks came out, and I always forget why I never use mii characters in the races. Then I pick one and remember, it's because they give them all big dumb helmets in game, hiding the customizable part of the characters. Just let my little devil dude show off his horns, Nintendo!
:arghfist::smith:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Necrothatcher posted:

I've never had any trouble with cutscenes before but Horizon Forbidden West's feel so drawn out and dull. It's pretty much the first time through a game like this I'm actively skipping them.

Having just picked up the first game for cheap, this was very much my feeling as I played through the intro. It really drags out the playing as a child part by doing the bog standard "prestige" things to show that the world/children is cruel and how Aloy is super special and it really sucks.

Maybe I'm just disconnected from more mainstream opinions, but the rest of the game has to be really loving amazing to make up for that, and so far it has just been a mediocre generic open world map clearing game. It even has the Ubisoft climb towers to unlock maps and bow fetish stuff.

The game also does the balancing by UI tedium thing by giving you fewer slots than exploitable elements in combat, so you are either constantly dipping into the menu in Combat to change your load out or you are just slowly chipping away at the enemies, but maybe that gets better with later weapons.

Hel has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Aug 7, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Playing some more Mario Kart since some dlc tracks came out, and I always forget why I never use mii characters in the races. Then I pick one and remember, it's because they give them all big dumb helmets in game, hiding the customizable part of the characters. Just let my little devil dude show off his horns, Nintendo!
:arghfist::smith:

Excuse me but are you suggesting that the Mii's be allowed to break traffic laws and not wear safety helmets? What sort of message is that going to send to the children playing, Do you want them to have to see their own Mii's head burst like a ripe melon when a shell is thrown at it?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Hel posted:

Having just picked up the first game for cheap, this was very much my feeling as I played through the intro. It really drags out the playing as a child part by doing the bog standard "prestige" things to show that the world/children is cruel and how Aloy is super special and it really sucks.

Maybe I'm just disconnected from more mainstream opinions, but the rest of the game has to be really loving amazing to make up for that, and so far it has just been a mediocre generic open world map clearing game. It even has the Ubisoft climb towers to unlock maps and bow fetish stuff.

The game also does the balancing by UI tedium thing by giving you fewer slots than exploitable elements in combat, so you are either constantly dipping into the menu in Combat to change your load out or you are just slowly chipping away at the enemies, but maybe that gets better with later weapons.

Yes. It's worth jumping straight to Meridian to get better weapons so you don't have to do that. HZD is way better than most other open world games by virtue of just not having that much stuff to collect. But also the story, setting, and gameplay are all solid and overall it's quite fun

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
HZD's combat is a hell of a lot better than AC's too.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm in the process of going through it again on ultra hard right now and it's so much fun having to change my approach depending on what I'm facing.

gently caress Glinthawks though. They're triggering my Morrowind ptsd.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kit Walker posted:

Yes. It's worth jumping straight to Meridian to get better weapons so you don't have to do that. HZD is way better than most other open world games by virtue of just not having that much stuff to collect. But also the story, setting, and gameplay are all solid and overall it's quite fun

Except that leads to a catch 22 since I want the better weapons so I can farm the materials needed for them., which is annoying enough as it is since the drop rate is so low for the stuff you need. And also the best sling I can get doesn't have the freeze bomb that the basic one does, so I still have to keep switching back and forth.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

HZD's combat is a hell of a lot better than AC's too.

I really must be missing something because that is very much not true for me. Hitting weakpoints with the bows demands too much precision from weapons that travel slowly and against enemies that are constantly twitching around, and not hitting the weakpoints does poo poo all damage. So the only ways I've found is to either just bomb the poo poo out of enemeis with tripwires and traps or try to stun them for critical hits, Which is way too random and weirder than you might think.
Electricity stun is removed after a single critical hit, but ropes reliably gets you two and heavy attack stun gets 2 if you are lucky. It also really feels like enemies take longer to fall down if you are already in position than if they are further away, so either you stand around and get hit by another enemy or you rush to them only to see them stand up before you can hit them. ( It's probably not intentional, but a way to have them only fall in open enough spaces, as can clearly be seen with the annoying bird machines.

Also I'm level 27 and the only upgrade to spear damage I've seen is from a side quest in the prologue, I do have a mod for extra damage but I can only attach to armour and bows, neither of which takes that one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tearblast arrows are great if you want things that are effective but don't require too much precision.

Hel posted:

Also I'm level 27 and the only upgrade to spear damage I've seen is from a side quest in the prologue, I do have a mod for extra damage but I can only attach to armour and bows, neither of which takes that one.

Spear mods were added in the DLC so you might not get to use it for a while.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For me, HZD's combat was cool for some eight hours of playtime and tedious for the remaining 16. I can see the idea behind treating basically every larger enemy as basically a miniboss, but when there's one such fight every time you go anywhere it gets tiresome fairly quickly. Fortunately the game lets you just dial down the difficulty whenever you want to breeze past repeat fights.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I recall the electric stun seeming like kind of a waste of time. I basically just freeze bombed things and then hammered them with the regular bow, regardless of what their elemental weakness was.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought HZD was kind of like Ghost of Tsushima in that it was just a another ubi style map'em'up, but it was a really good one of those. They went for a more unique, mechanic intense style of combat than something like Far Cry or Asscreed, so it's not going to be to everyone's taste.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I loved HZD's combat with KB+M on a PC and I can only imagine how infuriating it would be trying to hit a T-Red elbow with a controller.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Pro move in HZD is using the time the enemy is stunned to put a bunch of traps next to them and wake them up with the finisher, or use the delayed bomb thrower to put like three of them down, then finisher, and watch them absolutely disintegrate while you're immune during the finisher animation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hitting weakpoints was easy and satisfying with a mouse, but I expect its unimagineable pain on a controller.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Muscle Tracer posted:

I loved HZD's combat with KB+M on a PC and I can only imagine how infuriating it would be trying to hit a T-Red elbow with a controller.

It was fine?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I played on console and it was fine. The arrows fly fast as hell and if you really need the precision you can always just activate bullet time. Also yeah if you can’t be bothered with precision shooting, just freeze the enemy and then shoot them with the most powerful bow you’ve got. You can even open with the ropecaster to give yourself more time to gently caress ‘em up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I spent hours hitting things with my spear because I didn't know that hitting weaknesses did double critical damage and causes an explosion as well. So once I knew how to fight them it got a lot easier. Except for the Rockbreakers. I never really had a handle on how to fight those things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I spent hours hitting things with my spear because I didn't know that hitting weaknesses did double critical damage and causes an explosion as well. So once I knew how to fight them it got a lot easier. Except for the Rockbreakers. I never really had a handle on how to fight those things.

The cheesy way to fight them is to use fire arrows and stay far away so they will give up chasing you and return to their spawn point.

Otherwise tearblasting off their digging parts leaves them trapped on the surface.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

I played on console and it was fine. The arrows fly fast as hell and if you really need the precision you can always just activate bullet time. Also yeah if you can’t be bothered with precision shooting, just freeze the enemy and then shoot them with the most powerful bow you’ve got. You can even open with the ropecaster to give yourself more time to gently caress ‘em up

Yeah, I'm someone who will choose a mouse over controller 100% of the time for shooters and the controls in HZD on PS4 didn't bother me at all. The game would probably be a bit easier with a mouse I don't think the controller version would give many people problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RareAcumen posted:

Rockbreakers are weak to Freeze so you can blast them with a few volleys of frost arrows and do mega-damage against the super vulnerable processing capsules on their backs. If you want to stop them from borrowing then you can tearblast off their digging claws and they'll only be able to belly flop around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

HZD is literally the only shooter I played (and loved) on a console. Normally I can't aim for poo poo with a controller (grew up with kb+m) but for some reason it just clicks. Probably has to do with the fact that you don't have to track the enemy but every bow functions like a sniper would in other games. The concentration thing is essential for me though.