Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
You hear that, doomer wreckers? America's largest climate bill just got passed. Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

biceps crimes posted:

This is the peak of what it looks like when democrats "do climate". They'll probably never do another climate bill again. And it's absolutely nothing lol. EVs are a new toy for the booj to masturbate with while the planet burns. just absolutely underlining how hosed we are

The movement is indeed stronger and more organized than its ever been, and we are only going to make bigger strides in the years to come. We have the momentum, we have the people power, and we have truth and justice on our side.

Cynicism is easy.

Cynicism asks nothing of you.

Cynicism is the easy way out.

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth

looks like someone needs some media literacy

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pryor on Fire posted:

The movement is indeed stronger and more organized than its ever been, and we are only going to make bigger strides in the years to come. We have the momentum, we have the people power, and we have truth and justice on our side.

Cynicism is easy.

Hey whats your opinion on certain anime threads in ADTRW?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

got my roof garden planted with insect attracting lantana and blue star, see if we can get bumble bees and butterflys to come over from the park.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

is it really? maybe read more

no u

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/08/06/inflation-reduction-act-irs/

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
lol at anyone thinking the IRS will use their influx of money to target wealthy person tax fraud

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

lol did you read the article, where in there is anything concrete that is good?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol the word "solar" appears literally once, and all it is not ending a tax credit for two more years.

Edit: nevermind, search on my phone was just wonky. 40 times

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

atelier morgan posted:

wow! 80 billion dollars in tax credits for personal consumer choices

that are only applicable to consumers who own a house and who have money to drop on upgrading it. like the tax increase on businesses just goes straight into the real estate equity of those businesses execs

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Real hurthling! posted:

got my roof garden planted with insect attracting lantana and blue star, see if we can get bumble bees and butterflys to come over from the park.

borage. they love borage

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol did you read the article, where in there is anything concrete that is good?

Yes, I read the article. Did you? IRS getting a massive amount of funding is good because it will give them the resources to boost enforcement to start going after high earners and corporations in earnest, while decreasing the frequency of audits for lower income people.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Yes, I read the article. Did you? IRS getting a massive amount of funding is good because it will give them the resources to boost enforcement to start going after high earners and corporations in earnest, while decreasing the frequency of audits for lower income people.

LOL the irs chooses to use their limited resources almost entirely to go after low earners right now. Why on earth do you think more money would change that? There isn't a new mandate in the bill to do that.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

lol why do you think more funding will suddenly make them target people they havent targeted?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

:smugmrgw:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

LOL the irs chooses to use their limited resources almost entirely to go after low earners right now. Why on earth do you think more money would change that? There isn't a new mandate in the bill to do that.

notably they do this because low earners bring in more revenue per dollar spent on enforcement, so if the point of this IRS funding increase is to balance the bill they would be expected to focus even more on low earners lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

low earners can’t afford to fight, so they settle

easy money

pay close attention to how you write off those deductions next year

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth

whats stopping them from diverting enforcement away from low earners right now

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bohemian Grover posted:

whats stopping them from diverting enforcement away from low earners right now

The article answers this:

quote:

The idea is that the government could bring in more money by examining corporate and high-income returns than it does by pursuing lower- or middle-income taxpayers who make mistakes on their returns or underpay their taxes by small amounts. The IRS in recent years has grown more dependent on those types of audits because they are relatively inexpensive: They’re automated, and they preserve the agency’s limited personnel resources. But they also mostly fall on taxpayers who can’t afford to fight back by spending hours on the phone with the tax agency or hiring lawyers.

The result is that the IRS’s prolific enforcement capabilities — which bring in on average better than $10 in revenue for every $1 spent pursuing audits — are often trained on the most economically vulnerable taxpayers.

[...]

Speaking at a news conference Wednesday, Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), the head of the Senate Republican Conference, said the proposed spending would “put the IRS on steroids” and in total amounted to about “a million per IRS agent.”

“You don’t need that many IRS agents to go after a few people they say are very, very rich,” Barrasso said, adding that it would hit “families, farmers and the small businesses of Americans, that’s who’s going to bear the burden of this legislation.”

“This is an agency that only succeeded in answering about one out of every 50 phone calls during the 2021 tax season,” Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) said on the Senate floor Tuesday. “Yet 4 percent of the $80 billion is going to taxpayer services; 57 percent goes to enforcement, so that the IRS can spend more time harassing taxpayers around this country.”

But experts say that’s a condition brought about largely by GOP policies, which drove the IRS into more audits of poorer taxpayers by depriving the agency of the resources it would have taken to go after wealthier targets who shelter potentially much higher sums.

IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig wrote to lawmakers on Thursday that his agency was committed to upping enforcement “in areas of challenge for the agency — large corporate and global high-net-worth taxpayers.” He added, “These resources are absolutely not about increasing audit scrutiny on small businesses or middle-income Americans.”

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1556266279140528128

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
that thing you highlighted doesnt really answer the question

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

that thing you highlighted doesnt really answer the question

yeah it does

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
again they had resources but chose to use them a certain way

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have yet to see any reason why they would change their current behavior. It's a stupid thing to be excited about and it certainly doesn't have poo poo all to do with lowering inflation in any meaningful sense. It's not going to stop landlords from raising rents or oil companies from arbitrarily raising prices for higher profits and it certainly doesn't do poo poo to slow down climate change.

LOL the article you linked isn't even a pinky promise to do anything. It's an excuse for the choices the agency arbitrarily made to go after the poor.

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth

imagine if you could target your automated audits at the rich. alas,

e: and yeah there is no enforcement clause for the new funding, lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we're committed to carbon zero

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I think a bigger part of not going after rich people is the odds of them affording lawyers to gum up the system compared to going after some schmuck for forgetting to include a form or misrepresenting the square footage of their home office. When your budget is only so big, playing games in court gets expensive.

Either way, more people are going to be getting audited soon. But I doubt Elon catches a case.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The United States, in pushing for unlimited oil exploitation coupled with more intensive general resource extraction, is more committed to carbon zero than anyone else with their wishy-washy actions about maybe not growing as fast. Our great nation's mission is to see humanity's emissions stop more quickly than anyone else on Earth!

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

biceps crimes posted:

EVs are a new toy for the booj to masturbate with while the planet burns

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I would believe that the US government was committed to lowering emissions if they took any of that money and funded high speed train corridors and mass transit in cities instead of the sad loving pittance cities have to fight for now.

Instead we need to buy more weapons to influence wars.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

I would believe that the US government was committed to lowering emissions if they took any of that money and funded high speed train corridors and mass transit in cities instead of the sad loving pittance cities have to fight for now.

Instead we need to buy more weapons to influence wars.

The joke is that the more we emit now the harder and faster emissions will fall to zero in the end.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Pryor on Fire posted:

Cynicism is easy.

lmao

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abo0038

quote:

Knowledge overconfidence is associated with anti-consensus views on controversial scientific issues

Public attitudes that are in opposition to scientific consensus can be disastrous and include rejection of vaccines and opposition to climate change mitigation policies. Five studies examine the interrelationships between opposition to expert consensus on controversial scientific issues, how much people actually know about these issues, and how much they think they know. Across seven critical issues that enjoy substantial scientific consensus, as well as attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccines and mitigation measures like mask wearing and social distancing, results indicate that those with the highest levels of opposition have the lowest levels of objective knowledge but the highest levels of subjective knowledge. Implications for scientists, policymakers, and science communicators are discussed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they asked a bunch of extremely online Turks and suddenly it’s gospel

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/BillGates/status/1555941261814554624

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

‘get er done’ -bill gates

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth
I wonder what who Tesla will sell all those sweet sweet tax credits to

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

My cousin used to work for the IRS. Here's the gist of it: the reason IRS enforcement actions overwhelmingly affect "normal" people today is that normal people have relatively straightforward taxes, and tend to make similar mistakes or cheat on their taxes in predictable ways that are easy to detect, which means tax actions on them (cross-checks, audits and collection) can be, and have been, almost fully automated. In contrast, the IRS does not have the resources to go after high earners because those people can employ armies of accountants and lawyers to make audits very costly for the IRS. Automating those doesn't work either because every case is very different and very complex.

That's not to say that this bill is some sort of silver bullet. But it will do a lot of good.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I think everyone gets how the IRS works, what we are saying is that if the IRS did actually start going after rich people even a little bit it would be the first time any agency at any level of the government has made the tiniest step in this direction (against the interests/money of rich people) in like 40 years so it would basically be an unprecedented magical miracle that flies in the face of all history and Democrat/GOP wishes if that actually happened. It will not happen

What is much more likely is that the GOP takes control, increases the 80,000 IRS agents to 500,000 IRS agents and gives them body armor, MRAPs, and grenade launchers and demands that they go door to door and conduct "lifestyle inspections" of anyone who claimed no income, drug test them all, and deport any immigrants while they are at it. They'll call it the "freeloader extermination act" or some poo poo and the Democrats will allow this by compromising the number down to 450,000 agents. Something like this is 10x more likely than a single additional rich person getting audited, ever.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they’ll go after richer folks, its not like any irs schmuck cares. its just rosey eyed thinking theyre gonna not use more funding for easy returns vs. harder returns. if the funding specified what it was to be used for, specifically, it’d be more impressive. in the end this is all for crap i dont care about lol