Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I guess they can change his name to King Explosion Murdered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I want to say this chapter is a breakpoint for a volume too, lol

Most volumes are 10-11 chapters, but 361 was like 11 pages so I think they can squeeze 362 into the next volume.

https://myheroacademia.fandom.com/wiki/Chapters_and_Volumes#Chapters_not_yet_in_tank%C5%8Dbon_format

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HidaO-Win posted:

All Might was right, team work won’t cut it against a powerful enough opponent, gotta concentrate the power in one set of hands who can do this without dying.

This is one of the absolutely hilarious takeaways for me.

One of the things the manga seemed to be pushing was that it was stupid and flawed to put all of the problems and flaws of society on their shoulders and try to handle being everyone's hero on their own. All Might becoming a pillar saved society, but also ruined him personally and created a complacent dependency that meant that society started to fall apart at the seams once All Might couldn't do it any more.

Now these entire battle sequences against AFO and Shigaraki are built around "lol, lmao, teamwork and preparation are apparently meaningless if you lack sufficient power and all of these heroes getting mangled and/or dying is serving no real purpose but to buy time for the superpowered demigod to arrive and do the real fight" and it's completely bizarre. I'm still betting we'll get some dumb twist like "oh that one hit Bakugo and/or Mirio landed weakened Shigaraki somehow so Deku could win" like Broly's stab scar from DBZ or something, but yeesh.

The really funny thing is that this entire fight against Shigaraki has supposedly been with all of his quirks disabled, meaning that it's this much of a one sided slaughter when Shigaraki is incapable of using 99.9% of his actual power set, meaning that if Shigaraki was allowed to use more than 0.1% of his true power he would have vaporized the entire meticulously prepared squadron of heroes and their floating sky arena in about ten seconds with no effort, so Shigaraki is even more orders of magnitude more powerful than every hero but Deku than the comically one-sided fights so far have shown. Christ.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kanos posted:

This is one of the absolutely hilarious takeaways for me.

One of the things the manga seemed to be pushing was that it was stupid and flawed to put all of the problems and flaws of society on their shoulders and try to handle being everyone's hero on their own. All Might becoming a pillar saved society, but also ruined him personally and created a complacent dependency that meant that society started to fall apart at the seams once All Might couldn't do it any more.

Now these entire battle sequences against AFO and Shigaraki are built around "lol, lmao, teamwork and preparation are apparently meaningless if you lack sufficient power and all of these heroes getting mangled and/or dying is serving no real purpose but to buy time for the superpowered demigod to arrive and do the real fight" and it's completely bizarre. I'm still betting we'll get some dumb twist like "oh that one hit Bakugo and/or Mirio landed weakened Shigaraki somehow so Deku could win" like Broly's stab scar from DBZ or something, but yeesh.

The really funny thing is that this entire fight against Shigaraki has supposedly been with all of his quirks disabled, meaning that it's this much of a one sided slaughter when Shigaraki is incapable of using 99.9% of his actual power set, meaning that if Shigaraki was allowed to use more than 0.1% of his true power he would have vaporized the entire meticulously prepared squadron of heroes and their floating sky arena in about ten seconds with no effort, so Shigaraki is even more orders of magnitude more powerful than every hero but Deku than the comically one-sided fights so far have shown. Christ.

Deku's going to show up, punch the bad man all by himself but claimed he could only have done it with everyones help. The end, no moral.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
So, like, what can Deku even do to defeat him (other than be the protagonist)? Is it just that his punches are that much stronger than even a plasma cannon? Or (and I think this is more likely) is the last secret quirk some magic spell that makes AFO beatable despite no one else in the story knowing he can do that? So from the perspective of everyone fighting Shiggy, what is even going to change when Deku gets there??

God this sucks

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah like, Deku punches hard and has some other random abilities thrown in but nothing honestly on the level of that plasma cannon that would affect how innane Shigaraki is so whatever solution is going to be super pulled out of the writer's rear end and be a total wet fart.

CharlestonJew posted:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Deku will use Fa Jin to recreate Sphinx from HxH's power and kill Shigaraki in one punch

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The second movie was supposed to be what the original ending was like apparently, so I bet whatever is being written now is going to be some variation on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deku's final Quirk will be Self Destruct. It will do no damage physically, because it attacks the Quirks themselves.

It'll destroy Shigaraki from the inside. Imagine it like trying to bench while your arms are dislocated. And yeah, I know the stuff he's doing now is freak 'not actually a Quirk' abilities but still.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Deku is going to Kars AfO and throw him into space.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Deku's final quirk is Friendship, which makes Shiragaki and AFO's hearts grow three sizes and everyone stops fighting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eggplant Squire posted:

Yeah like, Deku punches hard and has some other random abilities thrown in but nothing honestly on the level of that plasma cannon that would affect how innane Shigaraki is so whatever solution is going to be super pulled out of the writer's rear end and be a total wet fart.

All Might can punch hard enough to alter weather patterns like Saitama from One Punch Man, so I'm 100% willing to believe that the answer will be "yes, Deku can punch harder than the plasma cannon".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

The second movie was supposed to be what the original ending was like apparently, so I bet whatever is being written now is going to be some variation on it.

Deku's gonna make Bakugo eat his hair and inherit OFA, and something something Force Quirk Healing

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

All Might can punch hard enough to alter weather patterns like Saitama from One Punch Man, so I'm 100% willing to believe that the answer will be "yes, Deku can punch harder than the plasma cannon".

Shiggy even straight up says that the plasma laser wouldn't be enough to kill All Might and Deku is as strong or stronger than him by now.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Shiggy even straight up says that the plasma laser wouldn't be enough to kill All Might and Deku is as strong or stronger than him by now.

drat, Stars and Stripes airplane laser buddies were really wasting their time, huh.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Vinylshadow posted:

Deku's gonna make Bakugo eat his hair and inherit OFA, and something something Force Quirk Healing

Or it'll turn out that the 2nd user's quirk is energy manipulation, and he uses that to heal Bakugo.

Man, it sucks when stories decide to rules lawyer powers they're just introducing.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bakugou is going to become a quirk ghost and live in Deku's head for the rest of his life. I'm not sure who this would be a worse punishment for.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I want this to end with ghosts beating the poo poo out of one another while Deku and Shigaraki just sorta pause and watch

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I want this to end.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I would settle for Shigaraki going "ow" when punched at this point. Literally anything but this overwrought "you literally only made me stronger by killing me" poo poo.

Anyway the funniest thing about this chapter is that it sets off the asspull alarms, we're full steam ahead to whatever dumb poo poo undoes all of these consequences.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

For a villain that was treated before this fight as a victim who needed to be redeemed, everything after that has been a terrible job of showing that.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

bobjr posted:

For a villain that was treated before this fight as a victim who needed to be redeemed, everything after that has been a terrible job of showing that.

Shigaraki could slam his hands on the ground and delete the whole flying fort along with everyone in it, and it'll still all be okay because we can claim "Tenko" didn't do any of it.

Just like how none of Dabi's crimes are his fault because "Toya" is innocent.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shere posted:

Anyway the funniest thing about this chapter is that it sets off the asspull alarms, we're full steam ahead to whatever dumb poo poo undoes all of these consequences.
I can see the Heroes Rising Quirkshare thing coming into play.

Honestly a finale that tied heavily into the Quirk Singularity with AFO being the weird chimera of abilities angle and OFA being the unimaginable uncontrolled power bit clashing and cancelling out or something would have been cool.

Deku becoming the Greatest Hero because he punched a dude real hard / defeated The Greatest Villain is pretty lame

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Bakugone

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Deku gives OFA to Eri and supercharges her Quirk. Eri rewinds everyone's Quirks to nothing. Overhaul's plan succeeds. Planet saved.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
As someone who hasn't read more than four pages of this so-called war, is it viable for Eri to hop in and reverse Bakugo to when his chest was less hole-y?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Woozie66 posted:

Also, when Shiggy is panicking, on page 10, is that a glimpse of the second OFA user?

Yes, with the implication that Shigaraki was getting super loving pissed about Bakugo not because of anything Bakugo was doing but because he has a strong resemblance to the second OFA user so AFO was getting mad about it. Which is just super because you know it means that at some point in this middle of this fight, we're going to get like a month's worth of chapters that are just flashbacks to Not-Bakugo so we can see why AFO hates him and Horikoshi can finally tell us his quirk.

MorningMoon posted:

As someone who hasn't read more than four pages of this so-called war, is it viable for Eri to hop in and reverse Bakugo to when his chest was less hole-y?

They're not going to bring a 10 year old onto an active battlefield where pro heroes are dying, no. If the solution is Eri, it'll have to wait til the fight is over.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
edit: I was gonna say maybe steal whatever AFO did but we got left hanging on that right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

CuwiKhons posted:

They're not going to bring a 10 year old onto an active battlefield where pro heroes are dying, no. If the solution is Eri, it'll have to wait til the fight is over.

That makes sense

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shindragon posted:

edit: I was gonna say maybe steal whatever AFO did but we got left hanging on that right?

we don't know if AFO is about to benjamin button himself, we don't know if Dabi just used Self-Destruct (or if it will be super effective), Toga's been in limbo for like four months now

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I wonder if we're going to see any other students get merked. I don't necessarily want to see anybody else die (maybe Mineta) but if Tokoyami or Jirou get got by AFO or Iida pulls a sacrifice play to get an exploding Dabi out of range of everyone else, I wouldn't expect them to get brought back to life the same way I expect Bakugo to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a4o will have stolen eri's power and he'll redeem himself by bringing bakugo back at the expense of his own life

deku will say he was the coolest guy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CharlestonJew posted:

I laughed at this harder than I probably should have.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SKULL.GIF posted:

edit: Now that I've used the term "flesh whips" it suddenly becomes apparent to me that this fight is reminding me a lot of how Demon Slayer ended.

The non-MC trio actually contributed meaningfully to the final fight in Demon Slayer.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

we don't know if AFO is about to benjamin button himself, we don't know if Dabi just used Self-Destruct (or if it will be super effective), Toga's been in limbo for like four months now

loving chrisssssst

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like the final lines they gave Bakugo, but I also do not feel sad, and I do not like this allusion to "it's a terrible day for rain". If anything, I hope Bakugo does not get resurrected or whatever; that would ruin the final sendoff.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is why you don't listen to those people that complain about plot armor or whatever. A major character is going to die and it feels so empty.

"Empty" in the sense that you feel indifferent or "empty" in you feeling worse? If the former, that's the fault of the author. On the latter, that's a great success.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flair posted:

I like the final lines they gave Bakugo, but I also do not feel sad, and I do not like this allusion to "it's a terrible day for rain". If anything, I hope Bakugo does not get resurrected or whatever; that would ruin the final sendoff.

"Empty" in the sense that you feel indifferent or "empty" in you feeling worse? If the former, that's the fault of the author. On the latter, that's a great success.

Indifferent like there's nothing there, it just feels meaningless.

But it did get me thinking about character death in media so that's something I guess and on reread I agree the final lines are nice along with his talk to ghost All Might.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

This is why doing something this big right now makes little sense to me

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's weird to me. Either you are wasting Bakugo's entire character on this lame moment or it's just going to be undone in any number of unsatisfying ways making the sacrifice even more of waste of time. It's just super odd and normally I would give the writer the benefit of the doubt they have a plan but the last arc of this comic doesn't give me confidence at all.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Finish your fries, Horikoshi