Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Jim just looks stoned, not violent. May he RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmao at the idea that Estinien isn't just as much of a perfect anime pretty boy as Aymeric.

He's got a gravelly voice and intense eyes, so he's not a perfect pretty anime boy like Aymeric. He's a ruggedly handsome anime boy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Emet-Selch is a sassy bitch who would literally rather die than admit he was wrong, he almost certainly has an SA account.

Furthermore, he's also old and out of touch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Shadowbringers just now. :sickos:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Aymeric swings a bit too far into looking like a villain without actually looking like a bad boy, it's a weird uncanny valley.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

People think Aymeric is hot which distracts from the fact that he has about as much personality as a cardboard box.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hogama posted:

Aymeric swings a bit too far into looking like a villain without actually looking like a bad boy, it's a weird uncanny valley.

I can't believe you'd suspect the Faux Commander of anything that isn't on the up and up

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Aymeric's face/hair combo has strong fantasy shoujo manga vibes. His hairstyle especially reminds me of a particular character, to the point where I :laugh:ed a bit every time he came on screen for a good while after the game first introduced him.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I wouldn't say Emet is handsome at all, but he has the kind of appearance that drives some fandoms crazy, like he does definitively give Tumblr sexyman vibes.

There's a significant fandom subset that likes 'em gaunt and self-destructive. I think it predates Tumblr, actually (weren't there a bunch of people into House back in the day?).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Emet is not my type even though I do like to look at his issues under a microscope, but he is absolutely hot in a rat kinda way. Which a decent chunk of people are into.

Endwalker

I would say despite the similarities that his real face is more classically handsome, if only because of bishounen hair and the fact he looks like he actually sleeps sometimes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Personally there's not really any men that suit my tastes. Arenvald is a loving kid, Hoary Boulder is a nest I'm not touching, Curious Gorge is a dweeb and Raubahn is... okay?

What I'm trying to say is, please add more beefy men and less pretty emos/elves/catboys Squeenix.

Y'shtola is cool and she would be my choice if I liked girls though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Finished Shadowbringers just now. :sickos:

:cheers:

The climax is one of those things that's gonna stick with me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hoary Boulder is a nest I'm not touching

Screw this high-school-AU manga nonsense; where's my romcom manga about Hoary's incredibly complicated personal life, Square?!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hoary Boulder already has a husband anyway.

(And Aenor.)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Bloody Emissary posted:

There's a significant fandom subset that likes 'em gaunt and self-destructive. I think it predates Tumblr, actually (weren't there a bunch of people into House back in the day?).

It predates radio my dude.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mainwaring posted:

People think Aymeric is hot which distracts from the fact that he has about as much personality as a cardboard box.

He's introduced as a crafty operator who might have an interesting part to play in the future story, but by mid-HW he turns super dumb as a plot device and after that he's just another background character with a crush on the WoL.

Waste of his voice actor.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pwnstar posted:

It predates radio my dude.

Hmm, I suppose Emet does have that "Romantic poet dying of consumption" look.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

:cheers:

The climax is one of those things that's gonna stick with me.

Also, new expansion, new look and race change was in order. Still going into End Walker as a Dragoon though, as that is my favorite job.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Only Aymeric has invited me to his home for a dinner date and only Aymeric was waiting at my bedside for me to regain consciousness so I'm going to say he's in lurve

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
But have you considered: Aymeric may have been there when you woke up, but Estinien is the one who leapt into battle (against fuckin' Zenos (I know it isn't Zenos but it's Zenos' body etc etc)) and carried you to safety. Has anyone else cradled you gently in their arms? I don't think so!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Estinien swoops in for the big dramatic moment and swoops back out, Aymeric sticks around and sees it through" is basically Those Guys 101. It's a nice moment.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Y'shtola threatened to spank me so Aymeric and Estinian and Emet can all fall off a cliff for all I care

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Y'shtola can be sold out a hundred times over, and she'll deserve it every time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Y'shtola threatened to spank me so Aymeric and Estinian and Emet can all fall off a cliff for all I care

(Post-EW content:)

Froth and foam

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

Dirk the Average posted:

Sympathy and forgiveness aren't the same thing. What Emet did over the course of his life is horrific and unforgivable. When we kill him, it's unquestionably a good thing, and Emet himself welcomes his death. The sympathy is in the fact that we're both fighting for our friends and for the existence of our respective peoples.

We can understand him, we can understand his motivation, we can sympathize with him, and we can still condemn him all at the same time.

thank you, yes. I feel bad for all the wrong doing but that doesn't mean 'forgive and forget', doesn't mean we don't mete out punishment. It is obviously 'right' in the narrative that we killed Emet (he even ends up agreeing!) and Zenos, but that doesn't mean having no compassion for them and the circumstances that led them to their choices.

I liken it a little to differences between punishment following crimes in some European countries vs the USA (and countries with similar philosophies to the US, not dumping it all on America). The USA's approach to punishing offenders has zero compassion which frankly makes the whole situation worse. Then you've got countries that have no life sentences, no horrible stark prisons, and actively work on helping and rehabilitating offenders and have lower crime rates overall. Doesn't mean you don't recognise wrongdoing, and you do act by taking away that person's freedoms for an appropriate time, but you appreciate that circumstances are what lead people to do wrong.

YggiDee posted:

But have you considered: Aymeric may have been there when you woke up, but Estinien is the one who leapt into battle (against fuckin' Zenos (I know it isn't Zenos but it's Zenos' body etc etc)) and carried you to safety. Has anyone else cradled you gently in their arms? I don't think so!

this is why Estinien is always my personal #1

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Personally there's not really any men that suit my tastes. Arenvald is a loving kid, Hoary Boulder is a nest I'm not touching, Curious Gorge is a dweeb and Raubahn is... okay?

What I'm trying to say is, please add more beefy men and less pretty emos/elves/catboys Squeenix.

Where does Runar fit in for you, because he's my choice if I liked guys

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Runar is a little too high strung for me. If I'm going to date a bear he needs to be reassuring and warm.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pigbuster posted:

Where does Runar fit in for you, because he's my choice if I liked guys

Does he do anything other than pine over Y'shtola? Relatable, sure, but how is that attractive?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

YggiDee posted:

Aymeric cradled Estinien after the death of Nidhogg and Estinien cradled us after Ghimlyt Dark so it's almost like Aymeric cradled us, transitively.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

sassassin posted:

Does he do anything other than pine over Y'shtola? Relatable, sure, but how is that attractive?

He makes stew! He holds the community together! He's pious and dedicated to his religion! He's fuzzy!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cid’s a pretty beefy dude.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

wizardofloneliness posted:

Cid’s a pretty beefy dude.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Don't worry, Gosetsu has you covered.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

He's romantic in an endearingly clumsy way, while he's clearly capable in most other regards so you don't need to worry about him. It just sings right for me. Him being a hrothgar is also a big plus because their animations are extremely good - I go hog wild whenever a hroth does their cartoony-rear end thinking animation.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

I really dislike the smirk moment at the end of Endwalker because imo it was almost great but bungled it at the last moment.

Now this? This is the most hosed up opinion in the entire thread.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

please refrain from cursing this thread

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/pitrepan/status/1556331083620405248?s=20&t=-XmksY2eR5tCdJw22DpNaw

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Emet-Selch.... is good!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
hot take: Hien, despite his dubious wartime policies, is an absolute hunk and has the sexiest voice out of all the expansion boyfriends

the most unexpected thing about ff14 is that it has such a high ratio of bfs to gfs. who even are the cool girls to swoon over in ff14? yshtola and.... fordola? i guess there's hilda.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I like Lyse :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like 99% of RPGs focus almost exclusively on the hot chicks with maybe if you're lucky 1 sexy villian dude in them so hell. I'm glad that XIV gets to be the Dudes Rock game. It's Our Turn.