Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Alchenar posted:

Okay the explanation is super weird and I guess it depends exactly how big a deal it is, but I do tend towards agreeing with 'of course you don't invite family to a professional conference, it's not a holiday and 99% of it is going to be professional conference stuff that isn't about you'.

Seriously, unless it's your field, conferences are boring as hell. If she wants to go to the dinner, she's going to need to pay conference costs, and he's not going to be available to do tourist stuff at all. I wonder if she doesn't have experience with professional conferences, because they're really not exciting things to tag along with someone to unless you don't mind basically having parallel trips and occasionally seeing each other in the hotel room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife got some big insurance award thing and everyone had their partners, it was actually a hoot. Sat next to some VP who was a huge tolkien nerd and we discussed nerd poo poo. Also a free dinner, can't beat a free dinner!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bonster posted:

Seriously, unless it's your field, conferences are boring as hell. If she wants to go to the dinner, she's going to need to pay conference costs, and he's not going to be available to do tourist stuff at all. I wonder if she doesn't have experience with professional conferences, because they're really not exciting things to tag along with someone to unless you don't mind basically having parallel trips and occasionally seeing each other in the hotel room.

She probably doesn't want to go to the rest of the conference, just the award ceremony. This is pretty normal for the conferences that I've gone to; the SO does touristy things during most of the conference and shows up for meals and award ceremonies. There is often a cheap SO rate just for that stuff, sometimes it's even free

Conferences sometimes even choose specific destinations that family members would obviously want to visit. IEEE has an annual Aerospace Conference at a big ski resort in Montana, it owns and obviously a SO with any interest in snow would want to come. Other conferences are bad and choose a lovely airport hotel. YMMV

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 8, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I learn so much from this thread. Who knew cowboys even had trade conferences?

AITA for telling my daughter she can’t sing?

quote:

for context, I (36f) have a 9-year-old daughter

She's currently involved in a co-op-like program (we homeschool because the schools in our district are poo poo.) and every year they have a talent show. My daughter looks forward to it every time and we've always been supportive, but this year she decided she wanted to sing. To put it plainly, the poor girl has a much less-than-average singing voice, and having her do this now would be incredibly embarrassing for both her and me.

I told her it was not a good idea right now because kids this age are mean, and that she should play her clarinet instead because she's very good at it. She said no, and that she was going to sing. I nicely told her that she wasn't a great singer and that was ok because she has other talents and maybe next year she can sing if we start voice lessons.

She ran out of the room crying and told her dad what happened, so we got into a fight. He told me it's not that serious and that she's just a kid so it shouldn't matter. I told him I didn't want her to get made fun of and he called me an insecure bitch, so I left.

he told his mom, and the next morning she was yelling at me too. My mom is on my side though, so I don't know if I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling my daughter she can’t sing?

Wow! So you're saying the woman who raised you ALSO supports stifling a child's creative perfomance? How could that BE

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I like that this guy thinks cowboys capture outlaws.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for losing my girlfriends debit card?

how loving dumb do you have to be to keep a loose credit card in your pocket? was he expecting to lose his wallet in the course of his normal activities like it's a regular occurrence?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Bruceski posted:

Wait til he learns they don't sing either.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

pentyne posted:

how loving dumb do you have to be to keep a loose credit card in your pocket? was he expecting to lose his wallet in the course of his normal activities like it's a regular occurrence?

the best part is 'mine was maybe stolen and i had to cancel it and it's a huge nightmare for me so i borrowed her card to use it and lost it and now she has to go through the same thing but she's overreacting'

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

pentyne posted:

Given that he says he's 20m, has only one card, and doesn't carry cash, I think there's a fair chance he does not carry a wallet at all. I never thought there'd be someone where becoming one of those guys who uses a rubber band or one of their gf's scrunchies to hold all their cards together was a step up on the upgrade tree, but here we are. Perhaps he should buy one of those phone cases that's a wallet with slots for cards.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That poor little kid will never forget her mother telling her she can't sing. My mum is in her 60s and still won't sing where people can hear, because some teacher was cruel to her about her voice once. And her voice is fine.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Yeah unless that girl's singing is like, tacky amber engagement ring levels of bad mom is way too concerned about some mediocre singing. I used to play piano and I could never, ever tell you what anyone else did at a recital, I was always focused on my own stuff.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

Dear Abby: After being bullied in school, should I confront classmates 35 years later?

God drat, grow up, have a bit of empathy for the literal children you all were during school, get some loving therapy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

bell jar posted:

God drat, grow up, have a bit of empathy for the literal children you all were during school, get some loving therapy.
Even with therapy, the after-effects of bullying can be life-long and pretty bad. That said... calling out everyone 35 years later is going to help approximately nothing and there's a really really good chance nobody even is going to remember the poo poo they did to her. OP needs to ignore the reunion and focus on caring for herself, because it's just not going to be good for her to go and nothing is going to be accomplished.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bell jar posted:

have a bit of empathy for the literal children you all were during school

"look, i know i punched you in the back of the head every day, shoved your head in the toilet and threw your books out of the bus window, but were were kids. grow up"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bruceski posted:

SO should tell OP about Ash slaying hordes of the undead with his chainsaw hand and holding a princess babe in his man hand. Really throw him for a loop.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA for showing everybody my husband's fake mustache after what he said about my hair?

So before I start let me just as that I'm into makeup and skin-hair care and spent time and money to look good and feel good. My husband "Reggie" (36) makes fun of it per usual especially when I'm wearing long hair extensions or thick eyelashes about change my eye color. but it's fine when it's not done infront of others.

He has (or had!) A mustache that he takes good care and lot of pride in. The other before we visit his family, he accidently shaved a part of it which made him look funny. He freaked out but decided to just shave it all off and wear a fake mustache. The way he's done looked so natural and real.

We got to his mom's house and then at dinner table, Mil compliments my new hairstyle. Reggie laughs sarcastically and says "Huh..don't give her too much credit for it....she used extensions, that's not her real hair it's fake!!!"....his mom raises her eyebrows looking uncomfortable but he proceeds to raise his voice and say "what? Ypu don't believe me? I can pull them and show you if you don't believe me!!. I was stunned but keep my cool and say "oh you mean just like your mustache here?" He denies and acts like he had no idea what I was talking about and goes "I don't know what you mean by that!!" While awkwardly laughing. His family seemed reluctant to believe me so in this very instant, I reach out to his mustach and remove it which causes him to freak out and show it to everybody at the table. Everyone gets over the initial shock and starts laughing. He snatches the mustache and rushes to the bathroom. Literally everyone was laughing at this which made him 10 × times more pissed. In about 5 minutes he actually cames back wearing it!!! And says we needed to go home. I get in the the car and he explodes on me and goes hysteric saying I embarrassed the daylights out of him by doing what I did at the table and making everyone laugh at him. He said that I should have never ever come near his mustache much less touch it. I reminded him of how this all started but he went on to say that his fake mustache was only a "temporary" solution til the real one grows back, but I wear hair extentions and eyelashes to make up for my lack of hair which an issue he's been putting up with for too long. I got quiet because I felt offended. He insisted that I went way too far and after we got home he stopped talking completely.

Now everytime one of his family members calls he refuses to respond then say it's because of me he can't even speak to them due to cheer embarrasses and shame.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

olylifter posted:

AITA for showing everybody my husband's fake mustache after what he said about my hair?
Lemme guess, “divorce is NOT an option”?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

olylifter posted:

So before I start let me just as that I'm into makeup and skin-hair care and spent time and money to look good and feel good. My husband "Reggie" (36) makes fun of it per usual especially when I'm wearing long hair extensions or thick eyelashes about change my eye color. but it's fine when it's not done infront of others.

He has (or had!) A mustache that he takes good care and lot of pride in. The other before we visit his family, he accidently shaved a part of it which made him look funny. He freaked out but decided to just shave it all off and wear a fake mustache. The way he's done looked so natural and real.

We got to his mom's house and then at dinner table, Mil compliments my new hairstyle. Reggie laughs sarcastically and says "Huh..don't give her too much credit for it....she used extensions, that's not her real hair it's fake!!!"....his mom raises her eyebrows looking uncomfortable but he proceeds to raise his voice and say "what? Ypu don't believe me? I can pull them and show you if you don't believe me!!. I was stunned but keep my cool and say "oh you mean just like your mustache here?" He denies and acts like he had no idea what I was talking about and goes "I don't know what you mean by that!!" While awkwardly laughing. His family seemed reluctant to believe me so in this very instant, I reach out to his mustach and remove it which causes him to freak out and show it to everybody at the table. Everyone gets over the initial shock and starts laughing. He snatches the mustache and rushes to the bathroom. Literally everyone was laughing at this which made him 10 × times more pissed. In about 5 minutes he actually cames back wearing it!!! And says we needed to go home. I get in the the car and he explodes on me and goes hysteric saying I embarrassed the daylights out of him by doing what I did at the table and making everyone laugh at him. He said that I should have never ever come near his mustache much less touch it. I reminded him of how this all started but he went on to say that his fake mustache was only a "temporary" solution til the real one grows back, but I wear hair extentions and eyelashes to make up for my lack of hair which an issue he's been putting up with for too long. I got quiet because I felt offended. He insisted that I went way too far and after we got home he stopped talking completely.

Now everytime one of his family members calls he refuses to respond then say it's because of me he can't even speak to them due to cheer embarrasses and shame.

Nice plot synopsis of O. Henry's The Insult of the Magi

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Nice plot synopsis of O. Henry's The Insult of the Magi

:laffo:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not defending my gf when she had a period talk with my niece and nephew without my sister's permission?

quote:

My gf (29f) and I (27m) went to my sister;s house to spend time with her and her husband. They have 4-year-old twins, one girl, and one boy. We were going outside so the kids could play in the plastic kiddie pool. My gf went to use the bathroom. She came out and the kids went in after her to grab some of their toys from the tub to take outside. They came out crying and scared because the toilet had blood in it. My gf said "My bad I think I forgot to flush" and went right into telling the kids that it was fine, she was on her period and when people get old enough they have periods every month. This scared them both even more. My sister told her to stop talking because she was doing more harm than good and it was a topic for her and her husband to tackle in a way that's appropriate for 4-year-olds since they'd now have to explain sooner than they intended.

My gf argued with my sister that her attitude was teaching them that periods were bad. My bil also told her to stop and my GF looked to me and asked if I was okay with my sister and bil shaming her and women in general for their periods. I told her she was asked to stop and really needed to because she was being disrespectful. I apologized to my sister and told my gf it was best we leave. When we got in the car my gf was still going about how we were being immature about a perfectly normal bodily function and demonizing women for it. I told her that wasn't it at all- they're my sister's kids and it's on them to decide how they want to handle that conversation, and pointed out she told a 4-year-old boy he'd get a period when he was older. She's still bringing it up and telling me I should have had her back in that situation. Usually, I'm all for people taking up for their partners but in this case, she was asked to stop and was really doing a bad job explaining and she wouldn't relent. AITA?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The_Franz posted:

"look, i know i punched you in the back of the head every day, shoved your head in the toilet and threw your books out of the bus window, but were were kids. grow up"

I hadn't considered this, all the bullying I received was social/verbal and mostly the result of being shithead teenagers, I have a lot more compassion for the people who treated me bad a couple of decades on, but I guess there are some wounds that people can't/won't move past.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Mx. posted:

AITA For refusing not to sleep in sailor moon bedsheets?

i think this dude needs to get over his "ewwww cooties/won't i be a Creep for this" phase and just sleep on the win bedsheets

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not defending my gf when she had a period talk with my niece and nephew without my sister's permission?

L
O
L

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Thanks!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Her point is unsurprisingly, appealing to the estranged parent's vanity because that's the demographic who writes this archetype of advice columnist, to keep them sending in stupid letters about how they dynamite their relationships with their adult children.

As ever, commitment to neutrality is siding with the abusers.
That was pretty much my conclusion as well: it's impossible to be neutral in this situation so they've chosen to pander. Here's hoping the sisters go off together and leave mom with her probably-abusive son.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

limp_cheese posted:

He's right to be worried. As we all know in martial art classes it starts with a man and woman sparring with each other, throwing punches, tossing each other around, poo poo like that, and before you know it they are loving in the middle of the dojo and calling it "practice". A tale as old as time...

:10bux: one of the reasons he doesn't want her to do it is he's scared the weak woman will be able to beat him up after a few classes.

'Mr and Mrs Smith' was a documentary and the events happened in real time.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My Wife tracked my iPhone (without me knowing) while I was in Vegas at a Bachelor party.

quote:

I (35M) went to Vegas this weekend for a Bachelor Party for a buddy I met in college and have stayed good friends with. Our group of guys went to a topless pool party on Saturday and when my Wife (32F) of 9+ months was driving me home from the airport she asked me several questions about what we did. I mentioned we went to two pool parties both of which were at our hotel we stayed at. She asked me if I went to the same place for both pool parties. I said yes and then she asked me if I went to the name of the establishment of the place that had the topless pool party. I told her we talked about it but ultimately didn’t and she continued to ask if I was sure? I couldn’t understand how she knew we went to the topless pool party but I knew it would be an issue so I admitted to her that we all went. She was instantly infuriated and started calling me a liar and said she can’t trust me. When we got home, she locked herself in our bedroom at home and won’t talk to me.

When we got home I used my laptop and noticed she had been tracking my phone on my laptop the entire weekend without me knowing. This is how she knew. One of my Buddies on the trip confirmed because she even told his Wife she was tracking my phone. She’s now threatening to divorce me for the 3rd time in the 9 months since we’ve been married. I have never cheated on her in the 6 years total we’ve been together. The previous two times were over a disagreement on our honeymoon and an argument we got into at home a couple months back. She tried to break up with me a dozen times before we got married and were dating. I feel like our marriage/relationship is extremely fragile and even more so I feel manipulated over how she tracked my phone without my knowledge the whole weekend. I did not go inside of the strip club or engage in any lap dances with any of the dancers that worked there. We just went to the pool party. Our group did not go to any strip clubs in general the entire weekend.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If he has to be so evasive about giving her answers, then, you know…

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

She's tried to get rid of me fifteen times now and I just don't get it, all I did was let her manipulative snooping catch me lying about going to a topless pool party!!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

They just need to have a child together and everything will be OK.

e: The ages on that post is fuckin pathetic. That's some 19/20 year old nonsense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

My Wife tracked my iPhone (without me knowing) while I was in Vegas at a Bachelor party.

"She tried to break up with me a dozen times before we got married and were dating"

Why did she not succeed? Why the hell did you two get married?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"She tried to break up with me a dozen times before we got married and were dating"

She did not have enough evidence for r/relationships court. The judge kept throwing out whatever she gathered because it was ruled fruit of the poisonous tree since she got it while committing the unthinkable and much more serious crime of snooping, second only to hurting a man's feelings.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It sounds like she just uses it as a threat then backs down later.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do these people have something against like deductive reasoning or something?

There's literally only two possibilities here, one is that the dude is a cheating dipshit and thats why the lady is acting like this and the other is that the lady is a jealous lunatic and the dude is innocent. Both scenarios just mean you have to fuckin break up!

These people are fuckin 35!!!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Suze sounds loving exhausting, as someone that’s fairly introverted myself this kind of person is my worst enemy

I'm a hyper-social and one of the things we excel at is reading attitude and body language.

"OH she didn't recognize my daughter's boundaries" is not something one can blame on some being "social" dealing with someone who is an introvert.

If I knock on someone's door and they answer it reluctantly I drat well can tell they are uncomfortable before they even start speaking and won't do it again

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 8, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

'Mr and Mrs Smith' was a documentary and the events happened in real time.

So many posts in here wish they could be as close as Mr. and Mrs. Smith. That movie is incredibly romantic. i will die on the "This is true romance" hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwjArdr4v-k&t=125s

Who wouldn't want to have sex after that? Hell, I still think this is an incredibly romantic song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdjbLkjCPg

I need to watch that movie again, its too good.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

gay frog chemicals posted:

There's literally only two possibilities here, one is that the dude is a cheating dipshit and thats why the lady is acting like this and the other is that the lady is a jealous lunatic and the dude is innocent. Both scenarios just mean you have to fuckin break up!

I think that's a fair point. Let's add it to the list of reasons you basically have to break up

1. Your partner accused you of abuse (true: you're an abuser, break up with them, false: they're a manipulative sack of poo poo, break up with them)
2. Your partner does a major invasion of privacy and accuses you of cheating (true: you're a cheater, break up, false: they're a jealous manipulator, break up with them)

Are there any other scenarios where both sides of the coin say break up? The one that springs to mind is when a party feels rejected enough they compile a written list of the reasons they've been turned down. Either the sexual requests are totally reasonable and the rejecter just isn't interested in the requester (in which case break up) or the person requesting is being totally unreasonable. In which case break up. And "reasonable" and "unreasonable" are meaningless terms in this case anyways.

Source: I ended up making a private list of the reasons my then-wife had turned me down, and I knew before I started that if I made that list the relationship was toast.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm a hyper-social and one of the things we excel at is reading attitude and body language.

"OH she didn't recognize my daughter's boundaries" is not something one can blame on some being "social" dealing with someone who is an introvert.

If I knock on someone's door and they answer it reluctantly I drat well can tell they are uncomfortable before they even start speaking and won't do it again

She knocked and barged in without waiting for response, she didn't even let the daughter answer the door or refuse. She's just an awful shitter.

Oh no. I saw a comment on the story where the guy doesn't want his wife to go to the awards ceremony something something cowboy on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ellle_em/status/1556239111765336065

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 8, 2022

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

Suze sounds a lot like my mom. My mom probably has ADHD and is a huge talker, which goes into hyperdrive when she’s anxious, AND has zero social awareness or basic comprehension. My mom constantly walks through public doorways and just stops to chat while blocking whoever’s behind her. And no amount of physically pulling her out of the way and explaining why people are pissed at her has changed a thing, the response is always “how was I supposed to know?” Same knocking and bursting in, walking in on me in shower, just total obliviousness to her surroundings. Like a total lack of object permanence when it comes to other people.

Does anyone remember that post from a husband talking about how his wife who never shuts up? I remember a part where she’s asking about an actress in some sitcom in the middle of sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for ruining my friend’s wedding photos by wearing glasses?

quote:

I (30f) was a bridesmaid at my best friend’s “Stella’s” wedding a few days ago. I am very nearsighted, so I wore glasses to the wedding.

Once I got there, Stella approached me and asked me why I wasn’t wearing my bridesmaid outfit. Confused, I asked what she meant. She told me that glasses weren’t part of the bridesmaid outfit and told me to take them off. I told her I needed them to see but Stella just said that it was her wedding and accused me of trying to draw attention to myself by being the only one wearing glasses, especially in the wedding photos.

Now some of my other friends who attended the wedding have been asking why things are so tense between Stella and me. Some agree that it was ridiculous for Stella ask me to not wear glasses when I need them to see, but others said that I should have been willing to compromise since it was Stella’s wedding and Stella really wanted good wedding photos.

Also I do wear contact lenses sometimes but I couldn’t wear them because colored contact lenses already were part of the bridesmaid outfit and I couldn’t wear both the color lenses and my actual lenses.