Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Alex Jones is loving hilarious. The Sandy Hook thing got a little too unsavory for me and I sorta stopped paying attention to him. Big fan of this trial lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Who has that picture of Alex Jones fighting the guy from The Young Turks? And it says like "humble vitamin salesman" on it?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I have great respect for Knowledge Fight

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

numberoneposter posted:

Alex Jones is loving hilarious. The Sandy Hook thing got a little too unsavory for me and I sorta stopped paying attention to him. Big fan of this trial lol.

You say hilarious, I say "a primary vector for the ongoing radicalisation of a truly disturbing number of people into conspiracy theories and outright white supremacism that is resulting in the erosion of society, outright stochastic terrorism, and a concrete threat to to concept of democratic rule."

Po-tah-to!
Po-tay-to!
To-mah-to!
To-may-to!

Let's call the whole thing (the "American Experiment") off!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

teen witch posted:

I’ll be honest, I kept thinking “Brian Setzer” as in Stray Cats or Jump Jive an’ Wail.

Had the same thought

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
there’s a multitude of ways to see Alex Jones (& gang). Which ones are wrong and right are ultimately up to you. I would say “I’m not here to judge” but no I absolutely am.

Personally, I see Alex Jones as a very multifaceted man. Most of those facets are the odds and ends traits of humanity’s dredges. A sliver is pity, as I don’t think he can really help himself at this point.

The last bits are of gratitude. He had the foresight to record all of “this”, as a warning to the future.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What IS going on with the extended Jonesverse? Have they said anything about this epic own? Did the globalists do a thing?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It's not really globalist anymore, it's Satanist.

It's always "The Jewwwws" at the end of the day for these people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No, the globalists are controlled by Satan. The globalists still exist as a thing.

They are definitely NOT the Jews how dare you suggest this. They're a secret cabal of rich people with names like Rothschild who drink children's blood and control the world through banks and stuff. No anti-semitism involved.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So I was typing this out on my phone and deleted it, but now that I can type it on my computer here we go:

When 9/11 happened I was young Airman (I was 20 years old and had been in the military less than a year, I was still in school when it happened). I believed the official report, etc, etc, etc. Then sometime around 2005 I saw Loose Change, and a friend introduced me to InfoWars and then I went FULL 9/11 truther. I believed that Bush had orchestrated 9/11 to go to war, I thought he was going to declare martial law, you name it I thought it was going to happen. I listened to InfoWars as much as I could. About a year later I started listening to Air America Radio (Al Frankens "Liberal Talk radio station") and gradually shifted out of the full blown InfoWars conspiracy guy. I'm thankful that I had friends who were like "dude that is loving nuts you know that right?" and were able to kind of suck me out of the eco system. I totally understand how people fall down that rabbit hole though and I will be loving happy when that scourge goes off the air.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Breetai posted:

You say hilarious, I say "a primary vector for the ongoing radicalisation of a truly disturbing number of people into conspiracy theories and outright white supremacism that is resulting in the erosion of society, outright stochastic terrorism, and a concrete threat to to concept of democratic rule."

Po-tah-to!
Po-tay-to!
To-mah-to!
To-may-to!

Let's call the whole thing (the "American Experiment") off!

A lot of far right figures (c.f. Trump) are extremely funny. It's a very effective public speaking tactic because anyone acknowledging they told a joke is immediately deluged by the most tiresome libs you've ever seen doing godawful poo poo like this until you're ready to blow up a building

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 8, 2022

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

SalTheBard posted:

So I was typing this out on my phone and deleted it, but now that I can type it on my computer here we go:

When 9/11 happened I was young Airman (I was 20 years old and had been in the military less than a year, I was still in school when it happened). I believed the official report, etc, etc, etc. Then sometime around 2005 I saw Loose Change, and a friend introduced me to InfoWars and then I went FULL 9/11 truther. I believed that Bush had orchestrated 9/11 to go to war, I thought he was going to declare martial law, you name it I thought it was going to happen. I listened to InfoWars as much as I could. About a year later I started listening to Air America Radio (Al Frankens "Liberal Talk radio station") and gradually shifted out of the full blown InfoWars conspiracy guy. I'm thankful that I had friends who were like "dude that is loving nuts you know that right?" and were able to kind of suck me out of the eco system. I totally understand how people fall down that rabbit hole though and I will be loving happy when that scourge goes off the air.

Goddamn. I know its an unreasonable ask, but please help us find ways to pull others out of it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I remember watching the movie Zeitgeist when it came out and immediately I called my friend to tell him about all of this crazy poo poo about 9/11 that could be real!

He very calmly talked me down and nipped that poo poo right in the bud. I'm very grateful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A lot of far right figures (c.f. Trump) are extremely funny. It's a very effective public speaking tactic because anyone acknowledging they told a joke is immediately deluged by the most tiresome libs you've ever seen doing godawful poo poo like this

I’m not sure we’re talking about them being funny on purpose.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It’s dumb as hell too (unless you’re an anti semite). USA did drop the ball on intel. There is a shitload of Saud-poo poo that we should have been aware of but our intel agencies either turned a blind eye to or just loving missed.

The WTC was brought down by a shitload of jet fuel making structural beams less sturdy because of heat.

Why were they allowed to get on a plane?

E: Thank you for coming to my TED talk entitled “I got about $0.67”

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 8, 2022

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
E: wrong thread

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The weird refusal to attribute anything positive to political enemies is kind of creepy. Of course Jones, Trump etc can be funny on purpose.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jones is weird because he is legit funny at times, but whenever he attempts to do a joke or bit it is the worst thing anyone has ever done.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The weird refusal to attribute anything positive to political enemies is kind of creepy. Of course Jones, Trump etc can be funny on purpose.
Sure, but mostly unintentionally and there's no need to hand it to them when they say stuff they clearly believe then go all "can't you take a joke?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jones is a comedy genius compared to Owen or Ben Shapiro. Part of why he can be entertaining to listen to and others of his ilk are black holes that suck any shred of joy out of existence.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I haven't watched any infowars and I don't intend to, so for all I know Jones could have a capacity for humor, but Donald Trump has absolutely never been funny on purpose.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Jones is a comedy genius compared to Owen or Ben Shapiro. Part of why he can be entertaining to listen to and others of his ilk are black holes that suck any shred of joy out of existence.

Yeah, he's smart and witty as hell but just happens to have batshit insane beliefs.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I wanna hear Alex do a reading of WAP

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I haven't watched any infowars and I don't intend to, so for all I know Jones could have a capacity for humor, but Donald Trump has absolutely never been funny on purpose.

The time he mocked Rubio drinking water and then threw it over his shoulder was funny sorry

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wild Armpit Perspiration

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Trump can be funny intentionally, but it's a kind of insult comic routine, and 80%-95% of the time it's funny in a "God, this wet bitch is such a loving drama queen" laughing at kind of way instead of a "Wow, he's so catty and right" laughing with way.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I literally don't think Trump could tell a joke, or has laughed at a joke, that wasn't derogatory towards someone else.

Malice must be involved.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I literally don't think Trump could tell a joke, or has laughed at a joke, that wasn't derogatory towards someone else.

Malice must be involved.

He did try once by saying "as you all know my favourite colour is orange." But I bet that was written for him. And he fired that writer and probably had them put in jail. And never paid them. But still used that nascent joke because it polled well.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Jones is funny in the "haha, what the gently caress?" Sense. He'll get completely heated and start saying things that would be weird in context, and then when you hear a clip a few days later it's a joke. The "turning the freaking frogs gay" line is something based on real research that shows a higher than normal PPM of a chemical waters where specific frogs live is tied to a lowered rate of reproduction. Jones takes this and turns it into a massive conspiracy where frogs are just the vanguards for the plans of the globalists and everyone laughs at him getting mad over gay frogs.

On purpose funny stuff from Jones is always of the "racist uncle talking about 'chinamen'" variety and is just incredibly cringey.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A bunch of posters with regdates from when SA was well within its "comedy forum where we find harmless weirdos and call them human being a lot" era now acting like they can't conceive of humor being morally neutral or deliberately deployed by a mean person, yeah creepy's a good word.

Beep boop the Trump unit has only offered an endorsement for "Eric", I believe this error will be corrected swiftly

Lazyfire posted:

Jones is funny in the "haha, what the gently caress?" Sense. He'll get completely heated and start saying things that would be weird in context, and then when you hear a clip a few days later it's a joke. The "turning the freaking frogs gay" line is something based on real research that shows a higher than normal PPM of a chemical waters where specific frogs live is tied to a lowered rate of reproduction. Jones takes this and turns it into a massive conspiracy where frogs are just the vanguards for the plans of the globalists and everyone laughs at him getting mad over gay frogs.

On purpose funny stuff from Jones is always of the "racist uncle talking about 'chinamen'" variety and is just incredibly cringey.

Saying poo poo you really believe (or has the right vibe, like the Hillary demon stuff) in a funny way is a staple of goon humor, such as it is, and obviously a great posture for propagandists to take where they can always simultaneously be speaking God's truth and doing an absurdist bit and where they fall on that scale from moment to moment depends on how much the listener personally agrees with what they're saying right now.

Pretending you don't get that he's being funny by yelling about gay frogs or how Obama smells like farts from all the sulfur in Hell doesn't really do anything to rhetorically combat that, though, it just makes you the butt of the joke.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 8, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Scam Likely posted:

Goddamn. I know its an unreasonable ask, but please help us find ways to pull others out of it.

I was sort of fortunate that none of my closer friends believed any of that, so they pretty much stopped hanging out with me because I was weird. I didn't really like that, and didn't want to make me friends so I was very much able to "wake myself up" so to speak.

Much like my Juggalo phase (which I don't regret) I feel pretty hard down a rabbit hole and had to be talked to gently.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jones was much more funny back in the day when conspiracy theories were just an innocent weird joke thing.

When 1/4 of america believes everything he says, well, that's a major problem.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Scam Likely posted:

I think the key is to have a strong support network of sane people. Bad news about the 21st century tho.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the key is to have a strong support network of sane people.

100%

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Malice must be involved.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rBr_WLQsFc

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

buglord posted:

Only until recent pages did I think KF meant KiwiFarms in this context and I was pretty confused.

:same:

this thread is much more confusing if you aren't part of some community around some podcast, but I don't have the spare cycles in my life to listen to it

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Trump and Jones both have the same instinct for finding the absurd in their opponents or in poo poo they hate and making fun of it off the cuff

Both suck at delivering planned 'bits' as they don't have any skill at delivery of written material but a facility for nailing off the cuff quips and quick punchlines

Edit also every time they try to prewrite a bit it ends up racist, sexist, or both

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyfire posted:

It's kind of dangerous mythmaking to think Cooper "stuck to his guns" on fighting the government until the end. He was a broken drunk who was a danger to everyone around him and was allowed to be so for multiple years because the government didn't want to have a shootout with him after Ruby Ridge and Waco. When they finally did move against him it was because the one guy who was keeping that from happening wasn't around so the local law enforcement decided it was time to be heroes. Cooper wasn't holed up in his house or anything either, he was regularly in town, had guests coming and going and was still broadcasting for years after warrants were issued. Cooper "fighting the government" was him having more guns than a Borderlands game and more ammo than food in his house.

Not trying to mythologize him, it's just that he went down swinging which is not something Alex capable of doing.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the key is to have a strong support network of sane people. Bad news about the 21st century tho.

I got incredibly lucky and had one, one single friend at my job who managed to beat enough sense into me when I fell into JorPe and started getting sucked down the alt right pipeline.

She stuck with it for almost an entire year and I didn’t realize it until I surfaced a few months AFTER I left the job and had stopped talking to her.

We had a falling out about something completely unrelated, unfortunately. But I think of her all the goddamn time when topics like this are on my mind.

I’m so grateful to her and I’ve never told her any of it. Probably saved my marriage. Possibly my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

KitConstantine posted:

Both suck at delivering planned 'bits' as they don't have any skill at delivery of written material but a facility for nailing off the cuff quips and quick punchlines

Edit also every time they try to prewrite a bit it ends up racist, sexist, or both

Case in point: the fact that he has a years-long bit about Fentanyl the Chicom Dragon that can go on for literally five straight minutes of him doing a terrible accent and his favorite joke in the world is implying that Michelle Obama is a man. Like I'm not even kidding: he is physically incapable of getting through one of those "jokes" without breaking his composure and having to restart from the beginning.