Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

King Hong Kong posted:

It’s more like the opposite is worse. The worst people you know will interpret a minimal suspension as being proof that what Watson did was no big deal. The Browns and Watson will wave it around as vindication.

Since the NFL was not capable of giving him the punishment he really deserves, we might as well take what we can realistically get.

It’s not like we are going to heap praise on Goodell, we just want SOME punishment instead of the usual nothing.

Save me Rodger, you're my only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hope Watson is executed during this year’s super bowl halftime show.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This whole thing does represent a power struggle between the NFL and the PA, but it's one the PA already lost during the collective bargaining agreement. I don't know how or why they didn't think the NFL would just overrule any arbitration decision they didn't like if you give them the sole power to do so. It's not like they've been particularly interested in decorum with the union at any point in the past.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I hope Watson is as bad at football for the browns as he is at being a human being.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Elephanthead posted:

I hope Watson is as bad at football for the browns as he is at being a human being.

I hope we never find out.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I hope he never comes back and if he does all of his passes are pick sixes and the DBs do the child pose in the end zone or whatever and he gets benched for sucking and then he goes to stand up off the bench and all of the ligaments in his legs blow

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Watson belongs in prison and pretending there's a substantial difference between 2, 6, or 12 game suspensions in a season where his contract was specifically set up to minimize the damage of even a full season suspension, and after which he'd presumably be playing at a high enough level of QB play the few remaining Cleveland fans that cared about sexual assault start wavering, is silly.

He shouldn't be punished by game suspensions, he should be punished by actual incarceration, and pretending like this sham process is an acceptable substitute is a delusion.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I agree with all of that but "our criminal justice system is a complete joke" (which I also agree with) is orthogonal to what the NFL does. The league doesn't control the cowardly prosecutors who seem to have instructed the grand jury not to indict, so, rooting for him to get banned as long as possible is kinda all we got. And hopefully fined an incredible amount to offset the protection of the lovely contract the Browns gave him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’m rooting for him to be suspended for as long as possible because it hurts the Browns, not because it’s a substitute for actual justice. The longer he has to sit the more it will give teams pause in the future about signing some piece of garbage rapist with a suspension hanging over their head.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I agree, but a ban or fine that’d be anything approaching what we consider reasonable is incredibly unlikely to happen.

Essentially, it’s as if the NFL wants to fine him a buck, the judge said fine him 25 cents, the NFL appealed and I said I hope Roger’s dude fines him a penny.

Because any punishment within the realistic possible range we’re gonna see is as close to no punishment at all, what’s the difference? Just make this sideshow extra clowny

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So because he isn't going to be punished enough, you want essentially no punishment at all? That's loving stupid.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I’d rather see him fined 230 million bucks in this scenario.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

No Butt Stuff posted:

A criminal conviction and prison sentence where you’re forced to play for the Cleveland Browns for no money.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He should actually apologize.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

No Butt Stuff posted:

I mean, if we’re talking pipe dream scenarios then why not a massive fine and a massive suspension?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean I mostly want him suspended for the season because Watson + free time means he's probably gonna get caught again and force the situation.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

I mean I mostly want him suspended for the season because Watson + free time means he's probably gonna get caught again and force the situation.

Which the league can then use to deny reinstatement.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Parallelwoody posted:

So because he isn't going to be punished enough, you want essentially no punishment at all? That's loving stupid.

Seriously. Saying that we live in a hell world where the consequences are going to be minimal at best so we should let the criminal and his supporters triumph at every turn sucks and isn’t funny.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
HE should have to give THEM massages

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

NFL QBs are brokebrained psychopaths and every game that Watson will be suspended absolutely matters to him. If the world wasn’t bad and dumb he would obviously be in jail, but it is so he’s not; therefore the best we can hope for is that the NFL extends his misery somehow.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also should be said SA posters are also broke brained but in a dumber way

Nov 6, 2002

WOAH.

Can you back that up??

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

WOAH.

Can you back that up??

*Points to C-SPAM*

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Parallelwoody posted:

I guess it's having so little faith in the NFL and the rich people justice system that you think you'll get more schadenfreude/satisfaction seeing Watson getting off scot free and seeing Goodell in a Congressional hearing

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Rodger has done that like 3 times already

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If I invest myself in whether Watson is suspended 6 or 17 games, I’m tacitly accepting the premise that it’s a meaningful distinction.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Maybe Watson's career ends from a nagging injury a massage therapist could easily take care of but no one will work for him :v:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

Maybe Watson's career ends from a nagging injury a massage therapist could easily take care of but no one will work for him :v:

After all this publicity I'm shocked Watson intends to keep using massage therapists. It's so publicly known and he is required to "Use the Teams doctors). What massage therapist isn't coming prepared for an intimidation campaign?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Intruder posted:

drat that’s some Twilight Zone poo poo

Nov 6, 2002

Forrest on Fire posted:

After all this publicity I'm shocked Watson intends to keep using massage therapists. It's so publicly known and he is required to "Use the Teams doctors). What massage therapist isn't coming prepared for an intimidation campaign?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

He’s already going to get next to no punishment.

My point is that if you care about the distinction between next to no punishment, and no punishment, then that’s loving stupid.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

GD_American posted:

He’s already going to get next to no punishment.

My point is that if you care about the distinction between next to no punishment, and no punishment, then that’s loving stupid.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?t=TVvHROak7gVgrdSKWmugDg&s=19

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping that if the suspension is indefinite, Watson just never plays again because he continues to refuse to acknowledge he did anything at reinstatement hearings every year.

Basically just being the dumbest idiot and throwing at 250 million out of pure ego.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

“DeShaun Watson’s six game suspension is a good thing”

-SA poster Ayudo

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

GD_American posted:

“DeShaun Watson’s six game suspension is a good thing”

-SA poster Ayudo

You got it! I'm the one that can't distinguish between a six game suspension and a year long suspension. Thanks for posting.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I hope he gets a Bauer style 2 year suspension that defacto bans him from the league

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Watson should be subjected to Mortal Kombat

Good luck with scorpion, ya idiot

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ayudo posted:

You got it! I'm the one that can't distinguish between a six game suspension and a year long suspension. Thanks for posting.

Yes, this is literally it. You’re being a chump by accepting this framework of argument over how many games in one football season a man will miss.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Goon slapfights are always the dumbest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

Yes, this is literally it. You’re being a chump by accepting this framework of argument over how many games in one football season a man will miss.

Nobody here has any power to change the framework. We all accept it, including you, because there’s no alternative. Joker laughing about it doesn’t make you enlightened, it’s just weird, like you can somehow delegitimize a process that doesn’t give a poo poo about you or what you think.