Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Agents are GO! posted:

Threads of Fate is a very similar game, IIRC.

It's in a similar vein yeah, and has two different stories with different protags as well! Also a complete loving banger of an OST. PS1 Squaresoft had a lot of really good titles that they just kinda never went back to, which I guess is a curse and a blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Vandar posted:

Shame they never did like, any kind of sequel or follow-up or anything.

It'd be nice if they'd remaster and re-release it.

is the joke that the sequel is bad or did you not know there was one

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

Betting it's that first one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that the first stage of the final boss in Musashi is The Dark wizard having such a weak personality, just wanting to destroy the world, that Kojiro being absorbed by him completely overwrites it with his urge to Duel Musashi. A physically weak villain with a strong will overwriting a physically strong villain with a weak will. Now I'm onto the final form of the boss though so it's more pure than it was before.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

While I was complaining in the other thread, someone was extolling the virtues of Supraland. I checked it out on steam, saw the overwhelmingly positive rating, and that it had metroidvania and puzzle elements, and went for it.

Just finished the main story after 12 hours, incredible game, 5/5.

The aesthetic is fun and feels cool to run around, the puzzles are genuinely great with that awesome moment when you feel like a genius for solving them, and the way the powerups change the way you view the world feels amazing.

If you're the type of person who gets their kicks ferreting around every corner of the game world for secrets, this game is absolutely for you, it rules.

Re: the powerups when you get the magnetic buckle and realise that you can now interact in a whole new way with every single big metal object you previous thought was just set dressing, absolute chef's kiss moment.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just beat the Iki Island DLC for Ghost of Tsushima.

Some people apparently missed not just subtext but the text of the original game, so I am glad that Iki Island doubles down on saying "the samurai are bloodthirsty warlords as rulers, Lord Shimura is the best of them and even he was a shitter, here's how the others are worse".

I'm also happy that in general the game makes 100%ing it quite simple and pleasant to do.

In generally I recommend Ghost Of Tsushima, it's basically a Japan-setting AssCreed game except it's actually good.

I particularly like the way that over the course of the game (if you've got the difficulty set right) it encourages Jin's thought process about Ghost techniques. At first you think "I don't need this overpowered crap! I can just challenge the enemy to standoffs, it's cooler and more fun anyway!" but as you fight more and more overwhelming enemies, the need for underhanded tactics increases. The game is never particularly difficult, so playing on Hard difficulty is recommended for giving the right feeling unless you're bad at games. The hardest part is really just remembering the button combinations to switch tools, because when you have so many different bombs and other tools that can instawin a fight for you it's tough to remember to use them all.

Downside: the bokken tournament in the DLC kinda sucks, it's just basically a slow flow-breaking series of puzzles
Upside: the hardest guy in that tournament can be beaten by going into X stance, and then just spamming heavy attack, which will attack faster than all his opening special moves every time. literally just mash the button while walking towards him until the game lets you attack.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Aug 6, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
crash bandicoot gives you a slide attack from the second game onward that doubles as a jump-extender, with some really generous coyote time (bandicoot time) off the edges of platforms - crash stays airborne for a second after sliding off a platform's edge, giving you a bit of extra lift

crash 4 takes it even further as the slide persists even if you leave the ground completely, which is incredibly satisfying coming in from the first game's millimeter-perfect jumps

and as i wrote this post i realized coyote time is named for wile e coyote. should've been obvious really

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

PYF little things in games: coyote time (bandicoot time)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like when games have a pseudo-achievement system that came before acheivements and trophies were a thing, like Star Ocean's Battle Trophies and Musashi's Action Figure collection. It's like they predicted where things were going.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I liked it when such cheevos were rewarded with various cosmetics or cheats. Now they just sell those.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

years later, goldeneye still did it best

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

An Actual Princess posted:

years later, goldeneye still did it best
This is applicable to a lot of things really

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rockman Reserve posted:

Nope. No sequel. Doesn’t exist.

Threads of Fate owns btw. PS1-era Square just didn’t miss.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when games have a pseudo-achievement system that came before acheivements and trophies were a thing, like Star Ocean's Battle Trophies and Musashi's Action Figure collection. It's like they predicted where things were going.

I wanted so many of those action figures IRL.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also, upon watching Slowbeef's Kingdom Hearts streams I have come up with a New Lion King Joke - after looking up the Swahili for No Heart:

Timon as the Pride Lands are being devoured posted:

Hakuna Moyo.
What a terrible phrase.
Hakuna Moyo, is what darkens our daaaaays.
It means "No hea~rt", for the rest of your days.
It's our final dirge,
as into our world the Heartless surge.
Hakuna Moyo.

Best I could do although the meter kind of falls apart at the end.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't know if it counts as a little thing but Crypt of the Necrodancer has new DLC after five years and it adds online multiplayer.

it adds the ability for the game to load without freezing the window and taking five minutes, too. it's real good

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh hey, I always wondered if that was a fault with the game or just the crappy PC I was playing on. I might fire that game back up...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Does anyone else exclusively play that game with the dance pad? My ex and I used to coop on it but we fuckin suuucked. Doing it solo is alright, though. Like, not in a way I'll ever be able to beat the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Leal posted:

I liked it when such cheevos were rewarded with various cosmetics or cheats. Now they just sell those.

My favorite racing game of all time, Split/Second, represents your achievements with "sponsor" decals on your car, which is an incredible idea that I'm not sure anyone has copied yet.

Vandar posted:

Nope. No sequel. Doesn’t exist.

Threads of Fate owns btw. PS1-era Square just didn’t miss.

Seriously, from like 1993 until 2008ish*, Square loving rocked. I remain extremely sad at what they turned into.

I want to make one of those Strong/Weak doge memes:

Strong Doge:
"Hmm yes I am going to release 4 amazing PSone games this summer. :smug:"
Weak Doge:
"Resolution too high development is hard. Plz buy FF15 in 19 separate pieces. 🥺"

(I consider The World Ends With You and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 to be their last truly great games until FF7R.)

credburn posted:

Does anyone else exclusively play that game with the dance pad? My ex and I used to coop on it but we fuckin suuucked. Doing it solo is alright, though. Like, not in a way I'll ever be able to beat the game.

2house2fly posted:

Oh hey, I always wondered if that was a fault with the game or just the crappy PC I was playing on. I might fire that game back up...

You totally should, this DLC is like a total overhaul, I'm actually kind of shocked at the number of things they've tweaked. All your equipment shows on your character now. Online multiplayer, being able to save and resume your run, much improved mod support.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Aug 6, 2022

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been playing Ghost of Tsushima, slowly going through my playstation-gamepass backlog, and I really appreciate how often they drop the world into a custom state for various missions and sidequests etc.
A lot of the sidequests (Especially the myth ones) have specific weather + lighting set up that applies when they're on. It adds so much, when open world games usually only set the mood like that during the biggest main quest things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SubNat posted:

I've been playing Ghost of Tsushima, slowly going through my playstation-gamepass backlog, and I really appreciate how often they drop the world into a custom state for various missions and sidequests etc.
A lot of the sidequests (Especially the myth ones) have specific weather + lighting set up that applies when they're on. It adds so much, when open world games usually only set the mood like that during the biggest main quest things.

Don't forget to be a jerk often enough to get more thunderstorms in the general world too!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That does reminds me that the Maldives stage in Hitman 2 seems to have a storm start to roll in after you eliminate at least one target, unless that was a coincidence.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Brain In A Jar posted:

While I was complaining in the other thread, someone was extolling the virtues of Supraland. I checked it out on steam, saw the overwhelmingly positive rating, and that it had metroidvania and puzzle elements, and went for it.

I played about two hours into it and I really liked the aesthetic, but a couple of things kind of annoyed me. You start in a big sandbox with a kid looking down, and so I get that the idea is we're supposed to be a kind of kid's fantasy of poo poo going on in the sandbox, which is rad and I totally relate to, but I didn't really get what we were. Are we toys? Are we just manifestations of a kid's imagination? And also the whole "lol we're just NPCs" meta-joke is so old, and I've never enjoyed it. Most people you talk to just make a joke about how they're NPCs and useless. I really enjoy the gameplay, the puzzles and rewards and loop, but the "setting" and meta jokes detracted a lot from it. I didn't think it was going to get better, but maybe I'm wrong?

Edit to add: I got an extra copy of The Ascent in the recent Humble Bundle, gave a key to a friend whose computer couldn't run it, decided to finally just play it myself, and holy smokes this is the most beautifully detailed ARPG. It's everything I want in cyberpunk. The background and presentation and graphics and setting are all so well executed. The music is great synthy poo poo but also the ambient noise going on is really noticeable. The game is fun, too!

And I loving love that you have to walk to other locations and it feels consistent to scale. I mean, sort of. I imagine it takes the same amount of time for my character to jog to "the weapon sector" of the city or whatever as it would be for my to jog to the nearest marijuana dispensary.

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Aug 7, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't forget to be a jerk often enough to get more thunderstorms in the general world too!

It often happens when you're stealthing through a base. The Sakai are "the lightning in the storm" and so whenever your stealth is going well initially, the game will roll a storm in to help set the mood.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SubNat posted:

For favorite little things in Tsushima, I love all the options they have for the touch pad. Swipe for wind guide, bowing respectfully (with included character lines if you're bowing to some poor dead person), sheathe your sword in perfect samurai film fashion, or play the flute and make the weather shift as desired. With maybe the exception of the wind guide it's all just little non-gameplay things that just add so much to the feel of the game. Though admittedly accidently hitting the pad and respectfully bowing to the Mongols you're trying to creep up on and murder doesn't go so well...

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Agents are GO! posted:

My favorite racing game of all time, Split/Second, represents your achievements with "sponsor" decals on your car, which is an incredible idea that I'm not sure anyone has copied yet.

In a similar vein, Hardspace: Shipbreaker represents your in game tracked achievements with stickers that you can put on your equipment. You can earn multiples and turn them in for shiny versions too!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brain In A Jar posted:

The aesthetic is fun and feels cool to run around, the puzzles are genuinely great with that awesome moment when you feel like a genius for solving them, and the way the powerups change the way you view the world feels amazing.

If you're the type of person who gets their kicks ferreting around every corner of the game world for secrets, this game is absolutely for you, it rules.

Re: the powerups when you get the magnetic buckle and realise that you can now interact in a whole new way with every single big metal object you previous thought was just set dressing, absolute chef's kiss moment.

Funnily enough I just replayed it the other day because I needed something familiar for my brain to focus on and I feel like it's starting to show its age a bit (memes will do that) and some parts are still a bit wonky even after patches tweaked some stuff. But I generally cut it a lot of slack because it's clearly a smaller team's first big project so :shrug: I like the scrappy modder energy it has.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was really impressed with how well the dlc slotted into the story for Ghost of Tsushima. It took a plot point that wasn't super developed and fleshed it out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That does reminds me that the Maldives stage in Hitman 2 seems to have a storm start to roll in after you eliminate at least one target, unless that was a coincidence.

It happens after you eliminate 2 out of 3 targets. It's quite the change to a sunny holiday resort.

And this somehow reminded me of one of the Brain Scorcher area in the first STALKER where everything gains sepia tones to give you an impression of the mind control effect (which you are luckily negating). I'm sure if I revisit that segment it is not very subtle and it looks terrible, but it definitely left an impression at the time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't know if it counts as a little thing but Crypt of the Necrodancer has new DLC after five years and it adds online multiplayer.

in the deep blues (chess themed) boss fight, they added the ability for you to en passant the enemy pawns, if you're a character that can move on a diagonal and satisfy the conditions

they also added the ability for the pawns to en passant you, if you have the boots of leaping (let you move hop two spaces at once)

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Mazerunner posted:

in the deep blues (chess themed)

god drat it i never noticed this

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Funnily enough I just replayed it the other day because I needed something familiar for my brain to focus on and I feel like it's starting to show its age a bit (memes will do that) and some parts are still a bit wonky even after patches tweaked some stuff. But I generally cut it a lot of slack because it's clearly a smaller team's first big project so :shrug: I like the scrappy modder energy it has.

I don't think I'll touch the base game again for a while, but I do think I'll be play Six Inches Under at least like once a year

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oh my god i just now got why they're called deep blues

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more like deep booooo

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't know what's the right thread for this, but this is the closest one I could think of.

What seems at first to be a dumb video is shockingly well researched and interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zSNK0kmPB4

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

moonmazed posted:

god drat it i never noticed this

how

e: unless you mean the name in which case fair enough

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Posting this in the right thread this time:

Wasteland 3: I put a magic doohickey under the barrel of my smg and now it shoots tiny grenades. I also punched a giant robot scorpion to death.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how

e: unless you mean the name in which case fair enough

I love Necrodancer's pun game, it is top notch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Two cheat codes for Super Punch-Out were discovered today. The first is a level-select code, which lets you jump to any fight in the game. The second lets the second player's controller control the opponent boxer. After 30 years, Super Punch-Out has vs. multiplayer.

It is, uh, not even remotely balanced.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PeacefulPreciousJellyfishFrankerZ-hQsPxzR2JZPknpyn

https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousSoftJaguarPermaSmug-NLYTLDGjchHQh_FX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always get a kick out of a simple midair ragdollEnabled = true death

https://i.imgur.com/fkdrHmm.mp4