Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I use the second and like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crindee posted:

Anyone out there have experience with both of these? Can't use both, and the only way I'd know who did a better job with placement would be to look it up and spoil myself.

Rewarding Exploring - Unique Places for Unique Weapons
GRA Unique Weapons Relocated

I used the second one in my play through and it was good. Note that there’s a version linked way down the page that puts everything in the Mojave world space, you might want that. If you use the defaults in the second one everything makes sense where it is but some stuff appears in DLC way after it’s really useful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did the whole thing to install Viva New Vegas and now everything looks super fuzzy. Any idea how to fix that?

It also seems to turn on Hardcore Mode automatically, not sure how I feel about that. My old non-Hardcore save now has Thirst/Hunger/Sleep bars.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Unless something has recently drastically changed, Viva New Vegas certainly isn't meant to default to hardcore mode. I assume you've also tested with a new save? Because you should absolutely be using VNV with a new game. Did you make absolutely sure to start with a fresh, clean install of the game without any old leftovers in the game installation folder or in the FalloutNV folder in Documents/My Games? I have to assume you did not, as you still have access to your old saves. Is the game installed in a Program Files folder?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of those big modular overhaul mods might have a setting that puts hardcore on automatically. Stewie's Tweaks or JSawyer Ultimate have big dll files where you can make adjustments to things

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Unless something has recently drastically changed, Viva New Vegas certainly isn't meant to default to hardcore mode. I assume you've also tested with a new save? Because you should absolutely be using VNV with a new game. Did you make absolutely sure to start with a fresh, clean install of the game without any old leftovers in the game installation folder or in the FalloutNV folder in Documents/My Games? I have to assume you did not, as you still have access to your old saves. Is the game installed in a Program Files folder?

Starting a new game doesn't have the weird blur, and I think it's one of the UI mod that adds the Hardcore Mod UI even if the game isn't necessarily in Hardcore mode.

I really should start a new game, huh? Sad I was pretty far in with this one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Which UI mod does vnv use. There should be an option in mcm to turn them off

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Which UI mod does vnv use. There should be an option in mcm to turn them off

There is, that's how I found out it was the mod adding them.

I think you still see the bars in the pip boy even when they're turned off though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Starting a new game doesn't have the weird blur, and I think it's one of the UI mod that adds the Hardcore Mod UI even if the game isn't necessarily in Hardcore mode.

I really should start a new game, huh? Sad I was pretty far in with this one.

VNV might be light enough for you to continue your old playthrough (provided you fix the blur etc). Adding mods to an ongoing playthrough is far less risky than removing one. It might be fine. Besides, what's the worst that can happen? (save corruption). Either the playthrough still works, or it doesn't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
yeah my guess is that you just kind of went ahead and slammed on the stuff from the overhauls section of VNV without understanding what it would do or something

idk, i didn't find survival to be very painful an addition on my jsue first-time run of new vegas with some tweaks so veronica didn't permadie and stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arivia posted:

yeah my guess is that you just kind of went ahead and slammed on the stuff from the overhauls section of VNV without understanding what it would do or something

idk, i didn't find survival to be very painful an addition on my jsue first-time run of new vegas with some tweaks so veronica didn't permadie and stuff.

Lol you're right that's exactly it. I didn't want to mess up so I didn't deviate at all from the instructions.

Wonder if I shoudl just turn those off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Has anybody checked out Race To The Bottom? Supposed to be pretty huge.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sounds terrible!

Nah, I’m kidding. Looks alright. Seems like a passion project so I can respect that if nothing else.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 11, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/Retro_Firearms/status/1558083464695619593

e;
Hold out weapon for taking out Benny.

Sold by Mr Holdout maybe?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I think there was a weapon like that in the old "Armory" goon-made mod. It actually did arm damage to you every time you fired it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The big iron on his hip is a distraction from the smaller, just as deadly iron in his jacket

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This is a write up on how to set up modding for Skyrim on the Steam Deck, figured I'd reproduce it here since it mostly applies to FNV as well. All of the external tools and SKSE extensions Just Work for Skyrim, so I'd expect most of the FNV tooling to as well. This includes xEdit, xLODGen, every SKSE plugin including one that needed extra DLLs in the game's root folder, BethINI, DyndoLOD & TexGen, Synthesis and Nemesis. The only thing I haven't tried yet is Wabbajack - and I now know how to run that too (see below for how to run arbitrary programs in a Proton prefix - use that to launch Wabbajack, should work though I haven't tried it).

I keep meaning to write up the Steam Deck modding process properly, but keep putting it off. Here's the stream of consciousness version so something is out there before I forget.

Use the MO2 installer at https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer - but be SURE to run the game at least once through Steam before doing this. By running the game, Steam will create the Wine/Proton prefix needed to run MO2 and all the other tools you need. This will also create the registry entries other tools will need to find your Skyrim install.

The prefix is a folder at /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid> where's Skyrim SE's appid is 489830. If you ever bork your MO2 setup somehow and need to clean your underlying Windows state, either remove or rename that folder and relaunch the game from Steam. This will recreate a fresh one for you. The prefix is essentially a brand new Windows install for just that game to run in, so you can then reinstall any programs you had installed in the borked instance and nothing is really lost. This works because all of your mods and other state are all in the MO2 install, which is all outside the prefix.

The MO2 Linux installer has a dependency on protontricks which you can install through the Discover app in Desktop Mode which installs a Flatpak. That failed for me, but it shouldn't have so do try it. I chose to instead have Arch, the underlying Linux distro under SteamOS, install it by enabling Arch package installation on the Deck. Here's one write up on how to enable rw on your internal filesystem and enable the Arch keys needed: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t8al0i/install_arch_packages_on_your_steam_deck/ Once you've done this, run "yay -S protontricks" from the konsole command line and respond y to the prompts.

One detail worth noting is that the MO2 Linux installer assumes you're going to run Skyrim 1.6.* and installs a SKSE for 1.6 for you. Suggest removing that and putting in the SKSE version of your choice instead. If you need 1.5.97, use the Unofficial Downgrade Patcher from the Nexus and run it as an exe from within MO2, works very well. Don't forget to switch out the SKSE Data/Scripts folder when doing this! SKSE installs dlls, exes and a scripts folder of its own - that scripts folder is tied to the SKSE version and must be swapped out when you change SKSE versions. You can let MO2 manage SKSE's scripts for you since they're under Data\.

Once you have MO2 up and running, most things can be run directly through it by adding them as launchers. This would be stuff like xEdit, DyndoLOD, Synthesis, etc. I suggest installing such external tools, well, externally: I use /home/deck/Games/Skyrim/<tool>. So install them under that folder then add them to MO2 using the gear icon in MO2.

One final useful trick: if you want to install software or run a program within the prefix for a game here's how you do it. Remember, a prefix is a Windows install specific to that game which is stored under /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid>. Let's assume you want to install .NET 6.0 which is needed for the Synthesis patcher into the Skyrim prefix, appid 489830. First download the .NET SDK installer for Windows x64, which should download to your ~/Downloads folder. Then run:
code:
WINEESYNC=1 WINEFSYNC=1 protontricks-launch --appid 489830 ~/Downloads/dotnet-sdk-6.0.401-win-x64.exe
Main thing here is getting the --appid correct.

Like I said above, don't worry about messing up your prefix, it's pretty easy to create a new one. MO2 stopped working for me when I put in the latest VC++ libraries yesterday for example. Easy: blow away old prefix, launch game through Steam so it creates a new one, reinstall a few programs I need using the above protontricks-launch tool.

LOOT is built into MO2 - it's the Sort button on the Plugins tab. No need to install it separately.

The way the Linux MO2 installer works is to replace SkyrimSELauncher.exe with a little program that launches MO2 instead for you. So when you press Play for Skyrim SE from within Steam, it will launch MO2. I suggest creating a shortcut to SKSE on the MO2 by clicking the Shortcut button next to Run in the MO2 interface, then selecting Toolbar and Menu. You can then launch the game by tapping the SKSE icon that will be on the MO2 toolbar.

When doing a long modding session, MO2 will eventually slow down over time. I tend to close and re-open it when it gets slow. Similarly, my game with ~200 mods and a *lot* of SKSE plugins tends to launch really slowly but is perfectly fine once it is up and running. I run it with a 30 fps cap and a screen refresh rate of 60 fps. 40/40 was working fine with CPU to spare until I went crazy with DyndoLOD but that's a perfectly fine price to pay for those LODs in my case.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played NV in a few years and never with mods. Are nods essential at this point or can one still have a grand time with vanilla

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

worms butthole guy posted:

I haven't played NV in a few years and never with mods. Are nods essential at this point or can one still have a grand time with vanilla

Vanilla's still enjoyable; NV's remarkably stable compared to entries before and after.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks v1ld, I hope that guide becomes relevant to me in the not too distant future

It’s not strictly necessary, but a baseline list of fixes and engine enhancements is recommended for a better time. For instance, Stewie’s tweaks is a giant complication of fixes and qol upgrades, that I really think everyone should use at this point (it’s very modular, so no feature is mandatory).

FWIW, in my experience getting a lightly modded FNV up and running was way simpler and quicker than the other games. A single evening versus weeks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Likely not essential, but following the steps up to Bug Fixes in this guide will make things nice and stable:

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

Mod Organizer is a bit of a pain to set up, but once it's set up it's amazing, just drop mods in and take em out as you please

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Modding on the Deck isn't as simple as on the PC. So if you're just looking to play a vanilla experience on the Deck I'd go for just the vanilla game with no mods at all, including the mods we consider baseline fixes these days on PC.

MO2 on Deck is still a bit of work to set up, though it's awesome once up and running.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's worth mentioning that I wrote up these posts while sitting at my work desk with the Steam Deck plugged into the USB C hub that is usually attached to the laptop for work stuff, which has a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and webcam plugged in.

See the screenshot below taken on and uploaded to imgur using the Deck, though it looks just like any other Linux desktop which it totally is. As you can see I'm mucking around with the amazing new behavioral animation frameworks in Skyrim these days - crazy stuff and I hope some of it eventually crosses over to FNV.

Back to the point, which is that modding on the Deck is incredibly like modding on Windows once you get MO2 running and have figured out a few basic tricks - understanding prefixes and how to run arbitrary programs in them (the protontrick-launcher trick).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hadn’t seen the Win95 MO2 skin before :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also dang, they brought crevice shimmying to Skyrim (I might have to actually bother with Nemesis next time I mod Skyrim)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

They have actual animation commitment now in Skyrim, no more strafing ice skaters. Here's the animation pack that I plan to try out with Requiem since I want to have a mostly vanilla Requiem feel while still using some of the new and improved animations: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/72966 (check the vids).

That animation pack can be given to every NPC in the game using SCAR: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/72014 - but this isn't a simple animation replacement! SCAR is going to have NPCs using combos where the base game didn't even have the concept built into it. And this is all procedural, SCAR doesn't have to know about the animation pack you just have to run a SCAR program to tag the animation pack. This is crazy stuff.

There's also Precision which computes accurate collisions based on meshes, animations and motions: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/72347

A bunch more of stuff which is trying to reproduce the mechanics of games like Sekiro and mostly the Souls / Elden Ring games in Skyrim. Elden Rim is an actual thing with animation packs that take movesets from ER - which I personal think too over the top for a Requiem game. There are rebounds from shields, stagger and hit reactions, blocking attacks by hitting the incoming attack with your sword: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/74326

We're no longer in KansasSkyrim.

The manner in which some of this stuff has been done is just as noteable as what has been done. Here's a post with me squeeing over the collaborative aspects of how this was achieved: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787350&pagenumber=348#post526346619

The plugin that allowed the biggest breakthrough in animations is Animation Motion Revolution which works in combination with a plugin that allows Dynamic Animation Replacement. AMR was written in response to this call to arms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MciK-l-BBQg

It's cool just how collaborative this was. You have an animation expert but no SKSE expert saying we need to head in *this* direction to free the engine and someone else who can code in C++ but is almost certainly no animation expert answering the call.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 18, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

v1ld posted:

Modding on the Deck isn't as simple as on the PC. So if you're just looking to play a vanilla experience on the Deck I'd go for just the vanilla game with no mods at all, including the mods we consider baseline fixes these days on PC.

MO2 on Deck is still a bit of work to set up, though it's awesome once up and running.

That's my use case so I'll pr9bably leave it vanilla unless someone releases a folder I can just drop into the deck

Thanks all

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rinkles posted:

I hadn’t seen the Win95 MO2 skin before :v:

On my phone, so I can't look closely, but I think that's just the default appearance for when you run a Windows program through Wine. Wine never updated its style options after WinXP, and defaults to the 95/98 era color scheme.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vavrek posted:

On my phone, so I can't look closely, but I think that's just the default appearance for when you run a Windows program through Wine. Wine never updated its style options after WinXP, and defaults to the 95/98 era color scheme.

no, there's a distinct "windows" theme in mod organizer. i got my install to look like that by swapping to it, and I'm using it natively on Windows 10.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Y'all shamed me into looking at the Themes tab and I'm now using Dracula :P

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Night Eyes or nothing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Only the default "none" theme, and possibly the windows one though I didn't test that, lets me see the detail on options inside FOMOD installers launched from MO2. You know how you can see more detail on an option in a FOMOD installer when you mouse over it? That doesn't work with Dracula or Night Eyes, for eg.

So it's back to Win95, like MO2 was meant to be.

E: MO2 v2.4.4.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 19, 2022

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Anyone tried that new wabbajack ttw mod list? I’ve wanted to get back into NV but some of the features on that list like removing fast travel sound tedious

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Every mod list that removes fast travel sounds horrible. Games built around not having fast travel work, games built around having fast travel kinda need it.

Does it at least add the equivalent of the carriages in Skyrim?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There’s the mod that adds broken down motorcycle terminals you can fix and fast travel with and that’s pretty much as good as it’ll get. There’s a “random encounters while fast traveling” mod that’s absolute poo poo tho. Yeah somehow I got addicted to alcohol while fast traveling despite not carrying any on me. Makes sense.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Me: Wow I should put 100+ of these Uncategorized mods in MO2 into proper categories.

also me, never does this.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/78657

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I normally play vanilla New Vegas, I'm now playing with a few mods that just tweak the game in ways that make it feel better.

No Dialog Tags, which removes the numbers before a speech check so that you have to actually decide whether your character's statement actually sounds convincing or not.

Weapon Jamming, which makes poorly maintained guns sometimes jam while firing, not just when reloading. This usually affects enemies more than the player, but it looks really cool.

Mr. New Vegas's Secret Stash adds most of the songs that are mentioned in quest names but weren't in the original game. It roughly quadruples the number of songs on the radio, and they all feel very appropriate for the setting.

Unlimited Companions, which lets you recruit multiple followers as long as you can keep them all alive and happy.

And of course JSawyer, which rebalances the game to make it more realistic, tougher but with fewer bullet sponge enemies.

I'm enjoying the game more now, but you know what I hate? When a mod does something really well, and then adds another unwanted thing that isn't related to the main point of the game. I've sure we've seen a lot of examples. JSawyer is 99% about rebalancing stats and spawn lists, but for some reason, Rope Kid decided that the safe route to Novac isn't hard enough. So there's an ambush by "Deranged Bright Followers", a faction that normally isn't hostile and is terrible at combat, with weapons so advanced that I'm pretty sure they could take down one of Caesar's assassin squads.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That's for energy weapons characters to get some more cool weapons early in the game, otherwise it's pretty slim pickings before you get to Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah there's like, the laser pistol you get for tagging Energy Weapons, a potential Recharger rifle from Chet, and some tucked away Bright follower corpses, that's about it. Oh and the Primm incinerator, that's a pretty big exception

Besides, it's alright to give the player a cool weapon early when there's limited ammo and durability. I remember watching the Fallout 3 documentary and seeing the devs express visible relief at how much less of a headache Uniques and hidden high-tier weapons were compared to in Oblivion, now that ammo was available as a limiter. No more level-scaled equipment stats!