Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like 99% of RPGs focus almost exclusively on the hot chicks with maybe if you're lucky 1 sexy villian dude in them so hell. I'm glad that XIV gets to be the Dudes Rock game. It's Our Turn.

the most recent mainline final fantasy game is four male models going camping for 80% of it, I think it's the way the series has been turning since 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Draxion posted:

the most recent mainline final fantasy game is four male models going camping for 80% of it, I think it's the way the series has been turning since 7

There are legions more JRPGs than Final Fantasy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cephas posted:

the most unexpected thing about ff14 is that it has such a high ratio of bfs to gfs. who even are the cool girls to swoon over in ff14? yshtola and.... fordola? i guess there's hilda.

I like Yugiri and Lyna

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

man really? wild

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I consulted a panel of lesbians and their opinion is that Fordola is hot

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

feels strangely appropriate that i got my actual mentor title for shepherding a bunch of sprouts thru striking tree ex; it wouldn't have been as satisfying if it had popped on bockman or whatever

now a hundred fifty more runs for that sweet rear end flying cap

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like Lyse but she kinda disappears after a while.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Estinien and Aymeric are both my husbands, that is my ranking of FFXIV characters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cephas posted:

hot take: Hien, despite his dubious wartime policies, is an absolute hunk and has the sexiest voice out of all the expansion boyfriends

the most unexpected thing about ff14 is that it has such a high ratio of bfs to gfs. who even are the cool girls to swoon over in ff14? yshtola and.... fordola? i guess there's hilda.

We talked about this a while back in the spoiler thread, and it's genuinely a little bit weird that there's so many men that are very clearly designed to be hot, and yet very few women given the same treatment. There's post-ARR Y'shtola (no way did they expect the frumpy ARR outfit to work), 2.0 Minfilia, Yotsuyu, probably Lyse and maybe Hilda, it's hard to get a bead on intention given how little screentime she gets. Everyone else is, like, 'character creator hot' where the engine just has a high baseline attractiveness anyway, so you'll probably find some of them hot but they weren't designed to be. Like, I'm fairly sure Fordola and (EW spoilers) Venat weren't actually designed to be sexy, but if you're into that vibe then they get over the line.

Where women do come out ahead is in the broad 'monster-fucker' category. When a big boss that isn't just a regular character model is male-presenting, there's normally not much that's attractive there (although some exceptions apply). But if that boss is a woman? Total babe nearly every time, only exception is the Shisui final boss.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 8, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I look at it this way, the game is a JP MMO so the PCs are going to fill the game with cheesecake anyway, so why not balance it out to have some hot dudes for your ladies (and RP ladies) to have shipping wars with.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like Lyse but she kinda disappears after a while.

I mean... she achieves her goals and leaves the main narrative to do her own thing. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of her, and I appreciate when she shows up again, but I think it would have been a huge disappointment if she'd just decided she wanted to hang out with the Scions forever instead of staying in Ala Mhigo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lyse should punch more stuff.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
That scene between the WoL and Lyse towards the end of 4.0 should have been a combat instance

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Unfortunately(?) two of the coolest women on our team are popotos and thus definitely no good for me, the player. My WoL would probably date them though. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My WoL would absolutely take Tataru to the Gold Saucer. He might even refrain from using his Saucer glam with her around.

...I get the feeling any Tataru at Gold Saucer plot would involve dragging her bodily away from the mahjong tables.

e: I just realized I get the same energy off Tataru that I do off Isabelle from Animal Crossing.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 8, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dareon posted:

My WoL would absolutely take Tataru to the Gold Saucer. He might even refrain from using his Saucer glam with her around.

...I get the feeling any Tataru at Gold Saucer plot would involve dragging her bodily away from the mahjong tables.

Tataru would get rich off of Golden Saucer winnings, despite none of the rewards being gil.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tataru makes the fashion judge cry, lecturing him after he gave her 99 points.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dareon posted:

e: I just realized I get the same energy off Tataru that I do off Isabelle from Animal Crossing.

WoL is the Doomslayer equivalent then?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd try to set up Tataru with Pipin since he has the most powerful hair

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Tataru is real, and strong, and she's my friend

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tataru and krile are already married and just haven't told the wol yet

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Pigbuster posted:

Where does Runar fit in for you, because he's my choice if I liked guys

Trying to tear him apart from his pining for Y'shtola would be cruel.

Thundarr posted:

Don't worry, Gosetsu has you covered.

He's an uncle type more like, that would be weird.

Cephas posted:

hot take: Hien, despite his dubious wartime policies, is an absolute hunk and has the sexiest voice out of all the expansion boyfriends

I... okay, won't deny it. Forgiving sex traffickers is still a breaking deal for me.

I'll admit Ardbert is cute and would rank high, but he comes with the logistics of "is it narcisistic to date your alternate self?"

Also Tataru's true love is blackmailing Estinien and you all know it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cephas posted:

Moenbryda. Lucia, though only as a thruple with Aymeric because I'm not breaking them up. Ysayle. M'naago. Depending on your character and taste for selfcest, Fray (the "I can fix them" character who we canonically succeed in fixing).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cephas posted:

Hien is a himbo

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

wdarkk posted:

Fang and Claw, until it is done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

I mean... she achieves her goals and leaves the main narrative to do her own thing. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of her, and I appreciate when she shows up again, but I think it would have been a huge disappointment if she'd just decided she wanted to hang out with the Scions forever instead of staying in Ala Mhigo.

True, but it's still kinda weird how little she's in EW given the whole "series finale" feel that has.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cleretic posted:

We talked about this a while back in the spoiler thread, and it's genuinely a little bit weird that there's so many men that are very clearly designed to be hot, and yet very few women given the same treatment. There's post-ARR Y'shtola (no way did they expect the frumpy ARR outfit to work), 2.0 Minfilia, Yotsuyu, probably Lyse and maybe Hilda, it's hard to get a bead on intention given how little screentime she gets. Everyone else is, like, 'character creator hot' where the engine just has a high baseline attractiveness anyway, so you'll probably find some of them hot but they weren't designed to be. Like, I'm fairly sure Fordola and (EW spoilers) Venat weren't actually designed to be sexy, but if you're into that vibe then they get over the line.

Where women do come out ahead is in the broad 'monster-fucker' category. When a big boss that isn't just a regular character model is male-presenting, there's normally not much that's attractive there (although some exceptions apply). But if that boss is a woman? Total babe nearly every time, only exception is the Shisui final boss.

You did not just "maybe" Hilda. Watch your back, Cleretic

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sunday Morning posted:

That scene between the WoL and Lyse towards the end of 4.0 should have been a combat instance

The combat system can't do sex scenes...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

sassassin posted:

The combat system can't do sex scenes...

It's a crafting sequence instead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Macaluso posted:

You did not just "maybe" Hilda. Watch your back, Cleretic

To confirm, in terms of attractiveness Hilda is not a 'maybe' at all.

I was unsure because, while she has unique assets (usually a golden sign of 'deliberately designed and so can determine intentions RE: hotness'), her actual unique assets are just the hairstyle and ears so it's hard to tell if she's meant to be hot.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"What women even attractive in msq anyway"

Incredibly angry lizard gang repping Sadu over here you dopes, you fools. I am a Sadist forever.

Also Admiral Mom.

And is this Nero erasure? You'll all pay for your complete lack of taste!!!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Nero still sucks too much, my arc with him has gone from "tear his arms off" to "knock him down and kick him in the ribs"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nero was my favourite character in the game until the introduction of Emet-Selch.

What can I say? I have a type.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I like neros stupid tiny car minion. 10/10 would let that thing wander around my island next to a bunch of cubes

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah yes the two JRPG series: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Post-EW content:)

Froth and foam

She's never living that down.

wdarkk posted:

We have the body count for it.

Is Y'sayle in the 'hot lady' or 'monster fucker' category because of her transformation? Also don't forget the guard captain in ShB. She's the poster-child for Viera/Viis in that expansion. Pay no attention to the fact that I can't recall her name right now.

But the others are right; the husbando category is way more crowded than the waifu category. And with G'raha the unquestioned first-place winner, it's a bloodbath for second.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Warmachine posted:

And with G'raha the unquestioned first-place winner, it's a bloodbath for second.

Better not let the Budagas hear you, they'd hunt anyone down who says Hien isn't the top husband (which i agree with)

So i started playing during 5.55. And i'm aware of how bad 1.0 was. But tell me, is this how 2.0 was like?

https://twitter.com/sharlanyan/status/1556027203116306433

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You did need to level alternate classes to even unlock jobs and mandatory abilities, yeah. Warriors/Marauders didn't get Provoke, for example, so you needed to level Gladiator high enough to get it.

Blood for Blood, being a dps buff, required a few jobs to level Lancer to unlock it.

And some dungeon bosses, like the wall in Amdapor Keep, could actually be difficult.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You did need to level alternate classes to even unlock jobs and mandatory abilities, yeah. Warriors/Marauders didn't get Provoke, for example, so you needed to level Gladiator high enough to get it.

To this day I'm still bitter about it to the point where I just will not play GLA/PLD. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The question of unique assets is a valid one. A lot of our primary husbandos benefit from it. Hien, Aymeric, Emet, etc.

How many ladies have unique assets? Lessee…
Minfilia both of them, yshtola, Lyse post-unmasking, Merlwyb, Kann-E, Lucia, Hilda-ish, Ysale’s hair?, Yotsuyu, Yugiri I think, Gaia, Venat.

Well, when I list it out like that, it looks pretty good. Though I think a lot of these folks get ignored in the waifu discourse since they’re either dead or pretty strongly attached to another character.

And on consideration, there’s a set of, shall we say, character archetypes when it comes to desirable women in Japanese media that don’t really come out with the FFXIV lady cast. Personally, I find that to its credit.