Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Started the Prehistoric chapter. Named the main character there, Tak and the Power of Juju. Haven't start much but I do know that I can craft gear, so I'm gonna grind some materials at the mini-game to craft items before heading out to progress the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finished the game finally. I gave up at the end when it came to optional content because I was just so burned out by the final chapter but I really liked the end. Game good, strong recommend 10/10, time to not play any JRPGs for a while.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm already four stories in and loving it, but question: does changing protagonist names actually affect anything? Doesn't seem like it--doesn't seem any name is actually said. But like, idk, kinda wanna rename some of em for fun amd wanna make sure there isn't some stupid unforseen downside to it

Edit: thing is, I've already played prehistory, but since the name doesn't matter at all at least for that one, I really wish I had named him something that didn't make me think of Gacy

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 6, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It just changes what name is displayed whenever someone says it. It's never voice acted because you can change it

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Glagha posted:

It just changes what name is displayed whenever someone says it. It's never voice acted because you can change it

That's what I figured. So like, in present he'd just be like "everyone will know my name..." out loud, but the name under it will say Stinkerton or whatever, right? Like, u was wondering there cause I changed the name and he didn't say it but I was like "I wonder if he had said the original name..."

But yeah, nah, got it. Thanks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Why didn't I hear anything at all about this?

What are the chances the remake winds up making its way to Steam?

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Got to the being exiled after beating Zaki part. The Prehistory chapter is fun, the crafting system there is neat (especially since it's got an easy way to get the materials via the minigame) and the way you encounter enemies is pretty unique. Also it has a shithead gorilla that tosses poop at people. I'd definitely recommend it if you like farting at the local wildlife into extinction.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Why didn't I hear anything at all about this?

What are the chances the remake winds up making its way to Steam?

To the first point, probably has a lot to do with the fact that it released around the same time as the new Xeno and Digimon games. Kinda sucks, because this game is a legitimate treasure.

Supposedly there's some text strings in the game that allude to a PS4 and PC versions, but I only saw it in passing and can't really attest to the veracity of it. I can't see SE NOT porting it down the line, though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nintendo published it outside of japan so :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

nintendo published it outside of japan so :shrug:

They also published Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default 2 outside of Japan and both of those ended up on PC, so it definitely doesn't rule anything out.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
By the way, for those of you experiencing Live A Live for the first time through the remake, the minigame to get materials in Pogo's chapter was very different in the SNES version. First of all, it was a secret. There was no indication of what to do, it was just a weird thing in one room. Now, as to how it worked, you talked to the dude in the corner, as normal. Then a caveman would run into the room and start running around rapidly. You manage to talk to that guy, and in comes another caveman. You repeat that process, chasing down and talking to each caveman in the sequence, and the seventh caveman gives you the items. Talk to anyone else, and everyone runs out and you gotta start over. It was the kind of thing that made you grateful you were playing it on an emulator.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It was actually twenty cavemen and you had to talk to the last one that entered the room.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I still haven't figured out how that minigame actually works in the remake. I mean, there's one version where one of the speech bubbles has Gori in it and you pick the haystack with Gori in it. But the other one, where the bubbles just show 3 and 5? I have no idea what you're actually supposed to be looking for there. I thought it was, like, one stack with the indicated number in it, but no? Nor is it the one with more, or less, guys in it. When that one came up I just skipped the animation and picked randomly. Whatever it is they were trying to communicate there went completely over my head.

Also, like... I don't know how I feel about the no dialogue conceit for the Prehistory chapter generally. It's a cute idea, I guess, but it kinda feels like cheating when people just grunt and a speech bubble pops up with a picture in it and is understood, in a way that it doesn't feel like cheating when a game with a silent protagonist has them mime through a conversation. It tracks for certain things like when you pick up a scent and Pogo calls an image to mind. It doesn't really track for basically any time someone tells you something. It's a small thing. I feel like much of it could be fixed by simply never having someone pop up a picture bubble directly but instead have them just make a generic-sounding grunt of whatever kind and we see Pogo think about what it means because he understands, or by having them stand in your way and point when they want you to go somewhere, stuff like that. I feel like you could have made an event-identical chapter with these systems and have it feel coherent. At the very least, they should have taken out the "menu" at the artisan and have you decide whether you want to continue crafting by, y'know, continuing to give him items or literally walking away, like you do with the other guys wandering around.

I'll grant you, this is a nitpick. But, it's a thing that I think they could and should have shored up, a lot, within the available scope, and that I think would have been welcomed if they had. I'm wont to think about such things in video games. And it bothers me in a way the stone cars don't.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In the current minigame the guy will point left or right and for you that's the bubble you want to be true. So the one with fewer cavemen in it, the one with Gori in it, etc.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

HGH posted:

It was actually twenty cavemen and you had to talk to the last one that entered the room.

Ah, I see, I misremembered just how many cavemen you had to talk to. But yeah, it was completely unreasonable.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
not all the jokes on prehistory land but i like the bit where pogo and zaki are yelling at each other with their knocked down snes sprites

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I loved Prehistory other than the spot of grinding that I needed to do at the end, but then I am of simple tastes and enjoy physical comedy and fart jokes.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There are rules for the caveman minigame but I just mash skip cutscene and pick the first haystack and rely on getting lucky than trying to figure out which haystack has more cave dudes in it.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
The 3 or 5 message is a riff on cavemen having a rudimentary number system.

He wants to know which stack has more or less people and which side you're choosing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Glagha posted:

So about medieval chapter stuff:
Thank you, Mario! But our princess loved Bowser so much she committed seppuku!

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 7, 2022

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
You probably should put a spoiler on that, even if it's a joke.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Middle Ages done! i thought it was lame that Oerstien didn’t have any lines because I thought they were doing the old school RPG thing which came across as just kinda dry/lazy since even the more terse protagonists like Sundown and Oboromaru have their dialogue prompts, but I guess they were doing a thing that works pretty well!

Gotta say, at least before the guy a few pages up forgot to put spoiler tags I was not expecting the finale to be “MC’s best friend was into the princess and she was probably into him, they both hate him and he died in mortal combat and she commits suicide, Oerstien says “gently caress it”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So for the Void of Hatred or whatever the final chapter does it matter who I choose out of the seven non-Oerstien protagonists? I went with Cube thinking it’d be decent little mini-dungeons, and I like the lil guy but if this is a “pick your favorite to beat the game with” situation then I’ll just restart.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Last Celebration posted:

So for the Void of Hatred or whatever the final chapter does it matter who I choose out of the seven non-Oerstien protagonists? I went with Cube thinking it’d be decent little mini-dungeons, and I like the lil guy but if this is a “pick your favorite to beat the game with” situation then I’ll just restart.

Final chapter stuff:

You can swap everyone in and out except your protagonist, so if you pick up everyone for their dungeons then your protagonist will end up the highest-leveled. Otherwise, your protagonist decides where you start, some protagonists avoid a few minor fights, and the protagonist has some dialogue with the final boss. Between Cube's relative lack of dialogue and the way robots level up, I'm afraid he's probably the worst choice for the final chapter leader. (Good as a party member, though.)

Personally I'd say the Earthen Heart Master is probably the best lead for the final chapter, especially if you picked Lei, both due to where you start and the general strength of their movesets. Akira and Masaru are two of the weaker characters, so I'd probably advise against them, but otherwise you're basically free to pick as you'd like.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Last Celebration posted:

Whoever you pick for your lead you're stuck with and there's justifiable reasons for any of them. Cube is a little quirky because they can't level up at all and rely on upgrade items but otherwise is a fine character. If you want a slight nudge for who makes a good choice if you do decide to restart: Sunset is a good one because he's the most annoying to recruit. I'd stay away from Masaru because I think he's bad (which he might not be other people like him well enough and I think he's usable but mileage may vary) but also because he starts at level 2 and is in a very precarious position starting out the game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ahhh i finally beat imperial china... admittedly last night i game over'd to ou di but i beat him the second go and i just saw the ending!! go lei :toot: e: i even beat him with heavenly peaks descent as the final blow for Maximum Cool

im gonna do present day next

Booky fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Terper posted:

Voice acting is great but I want to give special notice to the Imperial China ending where the English dub sounds like this, but in Japanese, they add some extra special flair to it.

the eng vers unavailable rn but that echoy effect was jp only right? Win

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Endgame character stuff:

Sundown's a great choice as leader because, as mentioned, recruiting him (And re-recruiting him) is a bit of a chore and he's one of the best damage dealers anyway. He's not great to have in front, though, as he's very squishy the later in levels you get, so make sure to change formation once your party starts to get more rounded out.

Masaru's not as terrible as people make him out to be. Yes he starts at level 2 and if you don't give him a Taeko's Furious Fist soon enough it can feel like his damage is lacking, but enemies scale to the party's level anyway and he's pretty tanky and has a competent self-heal + buff. His moveset is pretty varied and comes with lots of debuffs. The others do kinda overshadow him a bit, but he's perfectly viable.

Cube is the best healer in the game (No one else has a Counter Heal with an area effect) and might be a permanent fixture of your endgame party anyhow, their early game isn't too bad if you made a full compliment of robot weapons for Taroimo because they're compatible with Cube, just make sure to recruit Akira ASAP so you get his inventory, Masaru, who is still a good meatshield, can also be recruited by Cube early on without a fight (He also won't fight Sundown), and he's not far from Cube's starting point. Also shouldn't be in front for long.

Pogo is already pretty beastly to begin with, even moreso if you went through all the trouble of his optional fights and equipment, he's a good starter pick.

Lei's the fastest character, gets access to everything from high-damage single-target attacks to crowd control with Wise Fox's Grace and Sacred Dragon's Tantrum (Don't neglect her Special Attack stat if you want the most out of these two!). Put her in the front of your party and you can potentially get the latter off before any enemy can even act.

Oboro is another very well-rounded character, if you went through all his optional content he'll likely already be extremely powerful when you start the chapter. Excellent choice.

Akira is... well he's better than he was in the original, but not by a whole lot. He can heal, but he doesn't have nearly as much range with it as Cube. He's got massive attack ranges but lacks the damage to make it feel impactful. He's ok in normal encounters and he's not useless in a boss fight but all the charging he's got to do for his best attacks makes him feel kinda weak when Sundown, Lei, and Pogo can get greater results with just as much effort. It's just for every good thing he can do, he gets overshadowed in that category by someone else, even his area attacks get outpaced by Sacred Dragon's Tantrum and Big Shout being fullscreen. Basically only make him your leader if you really like his character
He does give Odio a pretty good verbal beatdown in his version of the true ending, at least.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

rats.... i beat moribe alright (after intentionally losing for dialogue) but now aja hits like a truck even without goofing around :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Truxton posted:

Endgame character stuff:

Sundown's a great choice as leader because, as mentioned, recruiting him (And re-recruiting him) is a bit of a chore and he's one of the best damage dealers anyway. He's not great to have in front, though, as he's very squishy the later in levels you get, so make sure to change formation once your party starts to get more rounded out.

Masaru's not as terrible as people make him out to be. Yes he starts at level 2 and if you don't give him a Taeko's Furious Fist soon enough it can feel like his damage is lacking, but enemies scale to the party's level anyway and he's pretty tanky and has a competent self-heal + buff. His moveset is pretty varied and comes with lots of debuffs. The others do kinda overshadow him a bit, but he's perfectly viable.

Cube is the best healer in the game (No one else has a Counter Heal with an area effect) and might be a permanent fixture of your endgame party anyhow, their early game isn't too bad if you made a full compliment of robot weapons for Taroimo because they're compatible with Cube, just make sure to recruit Akira ASAP so you get his inventory, Masaru, who is still a good meatshield, can also be recruited by Cube early on without a fight (He also won't fight Sundown), and he's not far from Cube's starting point. Also shouldn't be in front for long.

Pogo is already pretty beastly to begin with, even moreso if you went through all the trouble of his optional fights and equipment, he's a good starter pick.

Lei's the fastest character, gets access to everything from high-damage single-target attacks to crowd control with Wise Fox's Grace and Sacred Dragon's Tantrum (Don't neglect her Special Attack stat if you want the most out of these two!). Put her in the front of your party and you can potentially get the latter off before any enemy can even act.

Oboro is another very well-rounded character, if you went through all his optional content he'll likely already be extremely powerful when you start the chapter. Excellent choice.

Akira is... well he's better than he was in the original, but not by a whole lot. He can heal, but he doesn't have nearly as much range with it as Cube. He's got massive attack ranges but lacks the damage to make it feel impactful. He's ok in normal encounters and he's not useless in a boss fight but all the charging he's got to do for his best attacks makes him feel kinda weak when Sundown, Lei, and Pogo can get greater results with just as much effort. It's just for every good thing he can do, he gets overshadowed in that category by someone else, even his area attacks get outpaced by Sacred Dragon's Tantrum and Big Shout being fullscreen. Basically only make him your leader if you really like his character
He does give Odio a pretty good verbal beatdown in his version of the true ending, at least.

well that’s a shame wrt Akira, I got spoiled that there was a chance to mindread some spirits for extra dialogue and he’s pretty cool in general; and yeah, Cube/Pogo seems like not the best choices narratively which is part of what I wondered. Cube does seem like an amazing healer tho.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know speaking of Cube I just realized there is definitely a part in the future story where they absolutely say something to one of the characters. Like Cube never has any dialogue but the character reacts to a very specific piece of information from Cube so they had to say SOMETHING. It seems like Cube can communicate but still only ever beeps and bloops

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
(Final chapter)

Half of the reason I recommend the Earthen Heart Master as the final chapter leader is because they have the easiest time getting Sundown: you start next to his own starting point, and from there it's just a matter of following him down the mountain and to the castle. The one point you might miss him is when he's up on the cliff, but he's bright orange.

Last Celebration posted:

well that’s a shame wrt Akira, I got spoiled that there was a chance to mindread some spirits for extra dialogue and he’s pretty cool in general; and yeah, Cube/Pogo seems like not the best choices narratively which is part of what I wondered. Cube does seem like an amazing healer tho.

(Final chapter)

Don't worry, the two Y button skills work even if that character isn't the party leader. The spirits are only in Akira's dungeon, but there's also two statues in Pogo's dungeon that you can read the minds of.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

You can do Akira's dungeon and you can still read the ghosts' minds even if he's not leader, so you won't miss that at least.

Pogo and Cube do get some unique interactions in the remake if they're leader. They're worth looking up after your playthrough at the very least.

Late game UX quality of life stuff: Also each character in the Dominion of Hate gets their own baked-in save slot for that character's run as leader, so you can swap between playthroughs if you wanted to without losing progress in another. Good for competitionists that want to see EVERY character's unique leader stuff. Even easier if you went through the hell of getting the Cola Bottle that makes the rest of the game a joke.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

and thats wrasslin down!! aja, jackie, and odie gave me a extra death (i intentionally lost the first matches for next dialogue tho), but the first run vs odie had masaru live through a diving ddo with 1 (One) hp which would have been hype af if i won that one

hmmmm... what to do next...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, no story spoilers, but random encounters after seven campaigns without them sure sucks. I thought at first that they were doing it to be cute since the Middle Ages is basically “now we’re doing a normal JRPG” but now that they continue on to the final chapter getting interrupted by encounters that serve like no purpose makes me realize it was probably a “gently caress, outta time” thing since Chrono Trigger was made by some of the same people and also does the exact same thing. I get why you’d be apprehensive to change this part of the old game and there’s still like a 99.9% flee rate so it could be worse but getting interrupted when it feels like the game wants me to explore and then get interrupted by a fight I’m just gonna flee from..:feels lame, man.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I think the overworld music from Akira's chapter is seared into my brain now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truxton posted:

Endgame character stuff:

I went with Lei as my main character for the final chapter and I'm glad I did. Sacred Dragon's Temper is insane, and even though Lei has the lowest special attack of the disciples (I think?) there's enough gear that boosts special attack in the final chapter, including her nunchucks, that she maxed it out anyway.

And as soon as Sundown learned Hurricane I quickly realized I wasn't ever taking him out of my party, too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just got Sacred Dragon Temper too and what the gently caress, I’m sure not complaining but
- was it this good originally
- did the other disples learn it or something on its level?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm not 100% certain but I think the disciples learn the same moves outside of their starting ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

According to the wiki, Sacred Dragon's Temper is Lei only. The other disciples also get unique late-game moves but I think Lei's the only one who gets a full-screen attack like that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 8, 2022