Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

i see this argument more and more and while i technically understand it, i will never agree with it and actively hate it. like the gameplay is good and all in triangle strategy but you're missing out on like 90% of the game by ignoring plot. do you just watch movies by skipping to the action scenes? gorilla channel motherfuckers who do this

Agreed completely. Reviews complained about the cutscenes being too long and having too much dialogue, but that was explicitly part of the marketing and how it was presented to be during the Nintendo Directs when they unveiled it. The complaints would have been like dinging a visual novel for not having enough first person shooting.

And the plot was compelling enough to warrant the amount of dialogue and cutscene length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Detective No. 27 posted:

Agreed completely. Reviews complained about the cutscenes being too long and having too much dialogue, but that was explicitly part of the marketing and how it was presented to be during the Nintendo Directs when they unveiled it. The complaints would have been like dinging a visual novel for not having enough first person shooting.

And the plot was compelling enough to warrant the amount of dialogue and cutscene length.

it would be totally different if people were like "yeah go ahead and read about how to get the secret ending and do it the first time so you can get the whole story on one playthrough" but to actually suggest you skip the story is being a philistine

e; this wasn't meant to be an attack on the person who i originally quoted, but one against the argument itself. idk if you do it without VA cause some of them are loving awful and yeah, there are some games where the plot is absolute rear end and you dont need to worry about it but there are also games where the story is the whole point.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 8, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mister Facetious posted:

There kinda sorta but not really is: Champions of Norrath on ps2

Yea, I wish those would get re-releases too, the first one is OK, but the second one is like the pinnacle of that small sub-genre.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Yea, I wish those would get re-releases too, the first one is OK, but the second one is like the pinnacle of that small sub-genre.

Is it me, or does Sony seem content to pretend its MMO past never existed

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Large Testicles posted:

i see this argument more and more and while i technically understand it, i will never agree with it and actively hate it. like the gameplay is good and all in triangle strategy but you're missing out on like 90% of the game by ignoring plot. do you just watch movies by skipping to the action scenes? gorilla channel motherfuckers who do this

You're absolutely correct, and I personally think people should read the plot, cause it's really not that bad (listening to the lines being read makes it far longer), but my hope is that saying this 1) garners more sales for the game and thus sequels and 2) they'll eventually get curious as to why exactly they're kicking butt all across this odd continent and read it anyway.

That said, I also do like action movies and respect the ones that just cut to the chase with minimal plot. No plot isn't really a solution but finding a way to marry the two is always nice.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

hatty posted:

I played bloom until I hit a level wall where I needed to finish destroying mushrooms fast enough to get a two star rating and it seems impossible to do alone and there is no one around to team up with since it’s not very popular. It’s pretty much a fancy step counter though yes

Are you expected to pull out your phone in the middle of a walk so you can see pikmin and order them around? Because in that case no thank you. If you can just go out and take a walk, then get back home and deal with the pikmin management...well now we're talking

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You send your little guys out on missions and you can do it from the comfort of your own home! Walking just gets you experience and and can scout out missions and fruit then send your dudes to deal with them later

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You're absolutely correct, and I personally think people should read the plot, cause it's really not that bad (listening to the lines being read makes it far longer), but my hope is that saying this 1) garners more sales for the game and thus sequels and 2) they'll eventually get curious as to why exactly they're kicking butt all across this odd continent and read it anyway.

That said, I also do like action movies and respect the ones that just cut to the chase with minimal plot. No plot isn't really a solution but finding a way to marry the two is always nice.

that's fine but it would also be like telling someone who likes action movies to go to a live staging of Macbeth to support the arts but just show up for the part where he gets stabbed and then walk out because they've got all they're gonna enjoy out of it. you're missing the entire thing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Optimist Prime posted:

I've got a XC3 question, but I'm still avoiding the dedicated thread, so:

What's the most efficient strategy for the Ouroboros consul fights? (Currently working on the third one, at the end of Zeon's quest.) They're the only enemy types I'm struggling with, and I know I'm missing something because each attempt takes >10 minutes. Aside from spamming fusion arts whenever possible, what else should I be doing?

Learn to chain attack to always get minimum 3 chain attack orders per attempt. Do the chain attack trial, but generally always start off with Attacker and revive it twice with the Defender.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

oooh, I have an unpatched switch it turns out! I... have no idea what I would ever want to do homebrew for, tbh, but cool to know.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
with a hacked switch you can play dk64

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'll be honest I just finished chapter 4 and I still have no idea what the gently caress fusion arts are or do. I do them all the time and I know you can cancel them into other arts and cancel those into fusion arts to do them a little quicker but doesn't seem that much quicker to me.

As for consuls to me I am usually like five levels above one by the time I get to one so it doesn't take that long

Fusion Arts increase Interlink level which powers up your Ouroboros form.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

mdemone posted:

Final review of MLB: The Show 22 as played by Shohei Ohtani.

Angels make the ALDS this year, Ohtani strikes out 335, wins the Cy Young and finishes top-5 in HR and RBI, with a total WAR of 12.5.

In 2023, the wheels come off (i.e. the difficulty increased to Hall of Fame), Ohtani doesn't bat much during the first half of the year, the Angels get eliminated in the WCG by the Tigers, despite having acquired Clayton Kershaw at the trade deadline.

2024, after blockbuster trades for Yordan Alvarez and Jacob DeGrom, the Angels win the World Series and Ohtani wins the Cy Young while leading the AL in OPS.

2025, suddenly what the gently caress? Ohtani is aging?!? This cannot be possible. Merely Ruthian numbers this year, and the Angels lose in the ALCS to the hated Yankees.

2026 is a renaissance! Ohtani leads the majors in WHIP, ERA, and RBI. Wins his third MVP, although the aging Angels bow out in the ALCS once again BECAUSE THIS GAME GETS REALLY loving HARD

starting 2027 tonight
I tried playing the career mode with a custom character and for some reason it was super glitchy and the textures would just go completely wild whenever he was on the screen so I gave up playing the game after the free trial. I'd definitely play it on the xbox if I had more free time though! It just doesn't play well at all on the switch (handheld mode at least)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LOL isn't on Steam though

DOTA however is :getin: (I think both don't support controllers and probably control like poo poo with the trackpad)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

hatty posted:

You send your little guys out on missions and you can do it from the comfort of your own home! Walking just gets you experience and and can scout out missions and fruit then send your dudes to deal with them later

:cool: thanks I'm going to give it a try!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, but MOBAs are truly the worst type of game.

"Oh, you misclicked, you've ruined the round. Never play again."

It's like a flashy, grognard-led game of tug-of-war, and is the only gaming genre I've played that I actually hate. gently caress MOBAs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mobas are for absolute freaks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

mobas are for absolute freaks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, but MOBAs are truly the worst type of game.

"Oh, you misclicked, you've ruined the round. Never play again."

It's like a flashy, grognard-led game of tug-of-war, and is the only gaming genre I've played that I actually hate. gently caress MOBAs.
I tried one of those Warcraft 3 custom maps back in the time before they were actually called MOBAs. There were no instructions or tutorials, I had no idea what to do because everything was a chaotic mess, and all the assholes playing were extremely hostile to my understandably poor playing even after I explained I was new. Have not played a MOBA since, and ever since then I've been extremely gun-shy about playing online games with randos. gently caress MOBAs.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 8, 2022

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

My first time playing DOTA2 I ended up dying to someone with a global ultimate nuke that was killing me before I could even get to lane and my team were flaming me and calling me slurs over voice chat and all I could think about is if this is my first game ever why am I being matched with smurfs or veterans

That's pretty much the life of a new MOBA player in everything, you're going to get matched with people on their third or fourth account or people who have played for years and are still somehow so bad they're being matched with legitimate newbies

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tampa Bae posted:

My first time playing DOTA2 I ended up dying to someone with a global ultimate nuke that was killing me before I could even get to lane and my team were flaming me and calling me slurs over voice chat and all I could think about is if this is my first game ever why am I being matched with smurfs or veterans

That's pretty much the life of a new MOBA player in everything, you're going to get matched with people on their third or fourth account or people who have played for years and are still somehow so bad they're being matched with legitimate newbies

Even when one could be considered 'good' at the game, I just fail to see the appeal of this genre.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Even when one could be considered 'good' at the game, I just fail to see the appeal of this genre.
it's probably like people who love to have hot wax poured on them mixed with a humiliation fetish

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Smite is a good Moba

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I only play Chess with people who agree to read a chapter from a novel between each move. If you skip that, you're really missing out on the whole thing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Everyone here is literally forgetting there is a Pokemon MOBA and it's playable on Switch. It's not bad

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MOBAs are fine and people like them because they like to do something cool and win a game, often with friends. The playerbases are poo poo (largely because you can lose because your teammate did something wrong, which leads to huge amounts of frustration) and they're badly designed in that aspect but they're fun games if you play with friends

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Everyone here is literally forgetting there is a Pokemon MOBA and it's playable on Switch. It's not bad
I did forget that but I still have literally no interest in it, I haven't played Pokemon in like 20 years.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Only because Nintendo did the only intelligent thing of disabling any kind if non preset chat. That's the only difference with other mobas, even more now that they're adding stat boosters to the gacha which is absolutely P2W*

*Haven't played in almost a year but I think I saw some news saying that

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
hells yeah
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1556626244644503553?s=20&t=UOphj3tU-HJ7PxKzPVezlQ

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Optimist Prime posted:

I've got a XC3 question, but I'm still avoiding the dedicated thread, so:

What's the most efficient strategy for the Ouroboros consul fights? (Currently working on the third one, at the end of Zeon's quest.) They're the only enemy types I'm struggling with, and I know I'm missing something because each attempt takes >10 minutes. Aside from spamming fusion arts whenever possible, what else should I be doing?

That one was the hardest fight for me so far and took me three tries. (Still on Chapter 3) in addition to what others have said about Chain Attacks/Fusion/Interlink there seems to be a certain trick you can pull in this fight.

The boss cannot be inflicted with Break normally, but he can fumble that big damaging grab move he does. When he fumbles it he inflicts Break on himself and that opens him up to a combo chain. It seems moving between him and the target makes him fumble or maybe that's the window when he's vulnerable to Break Arts.

I'm not quite sure on the exact mechanic, but I'm pretty sure there's something there. He never got broken on the first try, but did multiple times on the second and third without me changing anything to the party.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Large Testicles posted:

that's fine but it would also be like telling someone who likes action movies to go to a live staging of Macbeth to support the arts but just show up for the part where he gets stabbed and then walk out because they've got all they're gonna enjoy out of it. you're missing the entire thing

As frustrating as that would be, I admit that it would be sort of funny at the same time.

There's nothing like Splatoon 2 was at launch and while I sort of want to recapture that magic, like I'm worried it'll be too similar of a game. Which isn't a huge issue cause it's a great series. But still. Is this what people who play sports games or shooters feel with every annual iteration? Just FOMO and mild annoyance at how similar it is every time?

I might as well get a voucher for it though and get Dread while I'm at it, I guess.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 8, 2022

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I agree that S1 and S2 felt same-y and 3 looks to be as well, but it's hard to compare. CoD has had ~7 games release since S2. They all play fundamentally more or less the same, but the settings and weapon/stage changes make it easier for someone to differentiate (this one is WW2, this one is Cold War, whatever - I don't play them but I assume that is a big appeal). S3 does not look visually distinct from 1-2 in that way, and the nature of the painting and the big levels of flat surfaces means the stages all kind of blend together in my mind at least visually. Will be curious whether the direct might win me over. The 1P campaign in S2 was fun but the multi always felt kind of the same.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it’s insane that they stopped doing vouchers in the us

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Terper posted:

Fusion Arts increase Interlink level which powers up your Ouroboros form.

Like, permanently, or per battle?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

per battle, they’re what make it go from level 0 to level 3

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do people like Splatoon?

Those games are fine, I enjoyed the short single player campaigns recently enough but otherwise they seem so shallow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fun with friends

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

An Actual Princess posted:

it’s insane that they stopped doing vouchers in the us

It really is. I don't quite get the motivation behind it either.

Electromax posted:

I agree that S1 and S2 felt same-y and 3 looks to be as well, but it's hard to compare. CoD has had ~7 games release since S2. They all play fundamentally more or less the same, but the settings and weapon/stage changes make it easier for someone to differentiate (this one is WW2, this one is Cold War, whatever - I don't play them but I assume that is a big appeal). S3 does not look visually distinct from 1-2 in that way, and the nature of the painting and the big levels of flat surfaces means the stages all kind of blend together in my mind at least visually. Will be curious whether the direct might win me over. The 1P campaign in S2 was fun but the multi always felt kind of the same.

The delay between release is certainly a help since I haven't really played Splat2n since the end of Splatfests. I went back to it a couple of times, but it was never quite the same. I know I'll enjoy 3 and I feel a bit hypocritical (never played 1) since I know a lot of those players were derided for calling 2 and expansion. I know it won't quite be that either. But still. It won't be good for my productivity though. I start work in about a month and with the game coming out then, I sure as hell won't be prepping classes like I should be.

I don't think I'll enjoy bows, I was never one for precision aiming, as I was pretty handy with a tri-slosher, so we'll see. It's sure to be a good time. Splatoon 3 alone is a good indicator that they're giving the Switch at least another couple of years. How long did the 3DS last again? I feel like Nintendo is going with that as its baseline for a console's longevity.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Do people like Splatoon?

Those games are fine, I enjoyed the short single player campaigns recently enough but otherwise they seem so shallow.

Yes. It's very popular. I don't love shooters as a genre as they tend to have a high skill ceiling that I don't have the patience to reach, but Splatoon is very accessible and I love its premise of painting since you don't actually have to kill the enemy (though it helps). It's stylish and snappy. I wish I had friends to play with more regularly, but it wasn't bad with random people online and the few times I coordinated to play with goons were always a lot of fun. The horde mode is neat, though I was never quite as good at it. It has a lot of depth though, and it's something they've explicitly expanded in 3. They're shallow, because it's a multiplayer game first and foremost, and it will live or die on that. After that it's rather repetitive but if the gameplay sticks you'll like it, but if you really don't like shooters, it'll pass you by.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 8, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish they’d do something similar to Fortnite. Just make it a service that gets updates, seasons, new content and modes, collabs, whatever. Since the core game and even the visuals really don’t change much, there’s no reason to make sequels just keep pushing out updates. Well I guess there is one reason and that’s $$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Splatoon 2 is 5 years old I'm okay paying $60 for a bunch of new maps, weapons, specials and potentially modes and that sounds a lot better to me personally than having a game with microtransactions. I suppose it's possible the Splatoon 3 direct could blindside us with microtransactions but I'll not assume that's gonna be the case.