Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Turin Turambar posted:

Honestly, I didn't remember that Arc from the comics that fondly, either.

Yeah, the "dream vortex" always did seem a bit like the technobabble they use in Star Trek when they need to invent a specific problem that has a specific plot solution :)

Blue Raider posted:

I refuse to pronounce Constantine that way.

The early Hellblazer comics make it very clear (via some poems about an ancestor of John's) that it's Constan-Tyne.
But by the time I got to those, I already had the other pronunciation in my head thanks to Mad Hettie yelling "Now you lissen ter me, John Constan-teen, you littel prick!"

muscles like this! posted:

The real Boogieman dying was also something that happened in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Really? I need to re-read my early Swamp Things. But it makes sense if the Corinthian said he drowned in Lousiana - that would be right up Swampy's neighborhood.

I do know that the Family Man (the original intended guest of honor) couldn't make it because John Constantine had just killed him over in the pages of Hellblazer. Right after the guy murdered John's dad, no less.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am rewatching The Dolls House episodes, and the scene on the beach is hilarious when you realize it's a beach in the UK that they had to bring in palm trees to make it look like Florida.

Hopefully, if they do Season 2 it allows them to get out of the UK for some of the shooting locations since they won't be so restricted by COVID.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really hope they adapt some of the shorter stories. One of the best thing about Americans Gods was the vignettes they did at the start of the episodes. But the story about Norton deserves a full episode.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

I really hope they adapt some of the shorter stories. One of the best thing about Americans Gods was the vignettes they did at the start of the episodes. But the story about Norton deserves a full episode.

I really loving hope they do the cat story, somehow.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Groke posted:

I really loving hope they do the cat story, somehow.

Dream of a Thousand Cats is just loving great. I would love that but I have no idea how they will do those smaller vignette stories.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, the great advantage streaming shows have is that you can literally, and really literally just spend an episode on something like that. It can even be a shorter one, not like you have to fit it in a broadcasting schedule.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I would love if they did the anthology stories as interludes to a main storyline within Season 2. Staging Midsummer night's dream could be a production nightmare, though, and Dream of a thousand cats would require a fair few CGI cats...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

TeaJay posted:

I would love if they did the anthology stories as interludes to a main storyline within Season 2. Staging Midsummer night's dream could be a production nightmare, though, and Dream of a thousand cats would require a fair few CGI cats...

Much as I love the show, I had always hoped for an animated project, with every story arc done by a different studio, or at least in a different style. You could do Dream of a Thousand Cats in Coraline-style stop motion, or Ramadan as shadow puppets, August as a series of animated Roman murals... you could even do Midsummer Night's Dream as a deliberately stylized and minimalistic theater production. :allears:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i thought i was crazy thinking something was wrong with the aspect ratio but the vertical stretch is real!!!

thank gently caress for :filez: so i could fix it and wake up from my slightly vertically stretched nightmare

e:

i mean i wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for tom sturridge's already long face getting stretched out even further

Booty Pageant fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 8, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Booty Pageant posted:

i thought i was crazy thinking something was wrong with the aspect ratio but the vertical stretch is real!!!

thank gently caress for :filez: so i could fix it and wake up from my slightly vertically stretched nightmare

e:

i mean i wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for tom sturridge's already long face getting stretched out even further

Yeah, they claimed it was to add to the show's dreamy quality but that's way to a avante garde for a show this safe. They just hosed up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

Much as I love the show, I had always hoped for an animated project, with every story arc done by a different studio, or at least in a different style. You could do Dream of a Thousand Cats in Coraline-style stop motion, or Ramadan as shadow puppets, August as a series of animated Roman murals... you could even do Midsummer Night's Dream as a deliberately stylized and minimalistic theater production. :allears:
One of the vignettes in American Gods was animated. Movies have done animated vignettes so often that it's almost a cliche.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 8, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cptn_dr posted:

They actually predate Swamp Thing, and are from House of Mystery and House of Secrets— in fact, Swamp Thing debuted in House of Secrets

Edit: I guess technically they're from Genesis but you know what I mean

Almost every single character in Sandman's Dream kingdom is a deep cut reference to golden age DC.

Not that I know any of them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Up to episode 4 now. Out of the two plots in this one, John's drive has certainly gone through more changes. But, while it would have been great to have the kind of sequence we got in the comics, this actually does work quite well for the kind of person they're making John out to be on the show. And not just in his character, but also in the scope of his threat; he's not about to embark on a worldwide murder spree, so there's no reason for him to have the "wouldn't have made a difference anyway" attitude he displays in the comic. And that in turn is not least because he's legally distinct from DC supervillain Doctor Destiny; so yeah, this works fine I think.

(Plus, an amulet that protects you, by making threats explode in a shower of gore? That's one hell of a damocles sword hovering over any good person's head.)

The hell plot was very well realized, stuck close to the source material, and almost got the landing too. Hell looked great in almost any scene, they even kept the Nada bit in, and Gwendoline Christie nailed it. Exactly the right kind of energy and subtlety. The contest was well done too; well acted and delivered in any case.
Minor gripes: Squatterbloat and Choronzon looked like dudes in costume and not like proper inhuman demons. Not a big fan of the visible wounding and exhaustion during the contest, too obvious.
Major gripe: I thought Matthew chattering on about YOU GOT THIS BOSS DREAM DREAM HE'S THE MAN quite efficiently ruined the delivery of the contest's final line, which in the comic was a simple and understated, surprising line that made you the reader stop and think for a bit; since apparently we can't have that on TV we need the equivalent of a drum roll and fanfare. Meh.

Uh, not sure how much of that needs to be in spoiler tags, so I just did the lot.

e: as long as they had Squatterbloat rhyming they really could have given him Etrigan's lines too. But gotta have that Patton Oswald!

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 8, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Major gripe: I thought Matthew chattering on about YOU GOT THIS BOSS DREAM DREAM HE'S THE MAN quite efficiently ruined the delivery of the contest's final line, which in the comic was a simple and understated, surprising line that made you the reader stop and think for a bit; since apparently we can't have that on TV we need the equivalent of a drum roll and fanfare. Meh.

Generally I think most of the TV show's changes work well as useful and necessary adaptations to the change in format, and occasionally arguably even improvements on the original (let's face it, most of the early issues of Sandman were not the strongest parts of the series.) But I think this in particular is one of the few real fuckups the show makes, it just doesn't fit into the dramatic flow of the scene or the longer character arcs of Dream and Matthew; it doesn't reflect the relationship between them at that point in time, and it doesn't really have any impact on their relationship afterwards. Having Dream successfully send Matthew away would have heightened the sense of isolation and powerlessness going into the contest, and Matthew following orders would have done a lot more to impress Dream than defying him.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Almost every single character in Sandman's Dream kingdom is a deep cut reference to golden age DC.

Not that I know any of them.

I knew about Cain, Abel, Lucien, Eve, the Witches and Destiny as old horror comics hosts.

Never did figure out if the Fashion Thing was a particular reference.

Alhazred posted:

One of the vignettes in American Gods was animated. Movies have done animated vignettes so often that it's almost a cliche.

Yeah, I know, but I quite dug it. Same with the intro of Hellboy II. What I was talking about though was doing the entire show in animation. That would've been my dream as a twentysomething, but I can see now that it would probably have a very niche appeal.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I felt that way too, it would've been better as a surprise moment for the audience, to show that both Lucifer and we the viewers underestimated Morpheus.
Then again, Gaiman himself kinda diluted that moment in Sandman: Overture, by introducting a character named Hope, even going so far as to add a line to the effect of "Promise me to remember my name" :rolleyes:

Anyway, for something completely different:
Does anyone have a handy link to all of the old aborted Sandman movie scripts?
I remember reading one or two of them in the old days, but I keep hearing mention of one particularly bad one from the late 1990s with a gun-toting Morpheus who owned a motorcycle and had to fight his brother Loki in time before the year 2000 came around and the Millennium would destroy the world. I'd love to read that one out of morbid curiosity.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Not a huge Sandman fan, though I know a bit about it from other content like comics/audiobooks and after watching the first couple episodes I was immediately hooked and binged the whole season. Really good show, not perfect but just intriguing enough to keep me going all day. Tom Sturridge seemed to completely kill it as a likeable, but at times hate able protagonist and sometimes antagonist. I really loved all the characters in different ways, but wished we'd gotten more Johanna. Knowing about her character and how well she did with it, I wanted to see more of the Constantine story. I really have almost nothing to draw from for how it stuck to the lore of the characters and universe, so coming from an outsider who just knew about The Sandman, I saw a high cost production, fan desired series and it was good. I wanna see a season 2 or spin offs, but not sure if they've been announced at all.

I think my 2 favorite episodes were the diner and the bet (Hob Gadling) story. I didn't really like the collector story at all, even as it meant to be the conclusion of the story. It seemed kind of mashed together and left me wondering what exactly they wanted to do with it as it related to the vortex.

All in all, i'd give it a 8/10 and recommend it to people. Not sure how fans of Neil Gaiman felt about it, as movie/series versions never seem to match up to the printed version of things, but whatever. As someone who isn't into the printed media, the series was enjoyable for a newcomer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah Patton Oswalt was weirdly the worst thing about this adaptation. He even did a good job with what he had, he was just very pattony and oswalty in a way that tended to break the suspension of disbelief.

I think that's more a testament to how good everyone else was though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ShowTime posted:

. Not sure how fans of Neil Gaiman felt about it, as movie/series versions never seem to match up to the printed version of things, but whatever. As someone who isn't into the printed media, the series was enjoyable for a newcomer.

This was one of the most precisely faithful adaptations I've ever seen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This was one of the most precisely faithful adaptations I've ever seen.
Even I'll grant that but the usual caveat applies: it says a lot about all those other adaptations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Patton Oswald’s Matthew sounds a lot like Crow from The Longest Journey so it works for me.

Yeah, they sounds so alike that I had to check if Oswalt was doing the voice acting in that movie. They're pretty much the same character too.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It's just the same character he played in Happy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I will say I personally loved S1 of American Gods which took a LOT of liberties with the source material

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Matthew is just a Ratatouille with wings.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am rewatching The Dolls House episodes, and the scene on the beach is hilarious when you realize it's a beach in the UK that they had to bring in palm trees to make it look like Florida.

Hopefully, if they do Season 2 it allows them to get out of the UK for some of the shooting locations since they won't be so restricted by COVID.

Cornwall actually has palm trees due to the Gulf Stream slamming into that part of southern England.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ShowTime posted:

I didn't really like the collector story at all, even as it meant to be the conclusion of the story. It seemed kind of mashed together and left me wondering what exactly they wanted to do with it as it related to the vortex.

Ep 7 on: The convention is only relevant insofar as the Corinthian is there and he wants Rose to come to him - although his agency in the matter is less than he thinks. Gault could have hidden in any abused child's dreams, but she chose Jed. Gilbert could have picked anywhere to live, but he chose the house that Rose was going to move into. All of them were controlled by destiny; because Rose was the Vortex, they had to place themselves in her path.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

just finished my first rewatch and I enjoyed the second half a LOT more this time around. Goddamn Boyd Holbrook is so good as Corinthian.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

There's a shocking number of mountains in the background on those beach scenes . Having lived on the beach in FL it took me right out.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just finished it and there are some weak points but honestly it's about as good an adaptation as I think it's possible to make for mass media.

Spoilers, minor, last episode: The CGI around Fiddler's Green was so goddamn much better than the CGI in American Gods they insisted on using for Eostre and the other dawn/fecundy goddess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

just finished my first rewatch and I enjoyed the second half a LOT more this time around. Goddamn Boyd Holbrook is so good as Corinthian.

(comic spoilers) Looking forward to him coming back as Corinthian 2.0. Although I wonder if they'll bring him back earlier.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Absolutely love it, and good grief it’s a very faithful adaptation.

Nthing the admiration for Boyd Holbrook as Corinthian, he really sells it. And Dream is just perfect as a kind of amalgam of every brooding high-cheekboned actor of the last decade.

It’s funny, if there was one series I would have guessed was unfilmable it would have been this one.

E: I think the directness of the adaptation holds up because the underlying dialogue is strong and quite..theatrical? As if it’s designed to be read on a stage.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 9, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

My Lovely Horse posted:

Gooood I hated that. Shut the gently caress up, Matthew.

e: And I was loving the scene up to that point!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm happy to see fans of it are enjoying it, as that seems to be the biggest issue with adaptations. Fans seem to hate how things just aren't the same as the source materials, but this one seems to be honoring the source material pretty well. That's good, and it sounds like thinks are progressing on Season 2. It hasn't been officially renewed yet, but reviews are good and it's already essentially written, so it could go into production rather quick. From what I read, Season 2 would jump around quite a bit. This is one of the biggest things WB has going right now, so I'd expect news on it soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ShowTime posted:

I'm happy to see fans of it are enjoying it, as that seems to be the biggest issue with adaptations. Fans seem to hate how things just aren't the same as the source materials, but this one seems to be honoring the source material pretty well.

One of the funniest trends had been the "go woke go broke" crowd try to stir poo poo on Twitter and run into Neil Gaiman personally dunking on them like bugs bunny playing matador.

This series had a whole cast of trans and gay characters in 1990!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

One of the funniest trends had been the "go woke go broke" crowd try to stir poo poo on Twitter and run into Neil Gaiman personally dunking on them like bugs bunny playing matador.

I wonder how many are trolls that never read the comic reflexively complaining that they "ruined" it by "adding" gay stuff, and how many are just so spectacularly dense that it went over their heads.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think the directness of the adaptation holds up because the underlying dialogue is strong and quite..theatrical? As if it’s designed to be read on a stage.

I love Gaiman's use of language, but some lines just work better on the page than on the screen or in an audiobook.
Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker, but the phrase "He is, after all, vavasour of his own dominion" was never designed to be spoken aloud.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Anyway, for something completely different:
Does anyone have a handy link to all of the old aborted Sandman movie scripts?
I remember reading one or two of them in the old days, but I keep hearing mention of one particularly bad one from the late 1990s with a gun-toting Morpheus who owned a motorcycle and had to fight his brother Loki in time before the year 2000 came around and the Millennium would destroy the world. I'd love to read that one out of morbid curiosity.

Quoting myself here, but I found some information about the one script I was thinking about. Seems I misremembered quite a lot (the brother was Lucifer, not Loki), also no guns and no bike, but I was right about the Millennium plotline.
The script was written in 1998 by William Farmer, and apart from a review on Ain't It Cool, it doesn't seem to have ever surfaced.
http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/2571

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Yea that was the one criticism I read of the series, but I immediately dismissed it and didn't even want to mention it as criticism because it just didn't apply. This actually brought up something I was curious about as I saw it, but forgot about until now: how are Rose and Judy connected? Rose has a picture of Judy on her shelf in a "blink and you'll miss it" moment. I had to go back and rewatch to make sure that Judy wasn't waiting for Rose in the diner, but she's waiting for someone named Donna.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

ShowTime posted:

Yea that was the one criticism I read of the series, but I immediately dismissed it and didn't even want to mention it as criticism because it just didn't apply. This actually brought up something I was curious about as I saw it, but forgot about until now: how are Rose and Judy connected? Rose has a picture of Judy on her shelf in a "blink and you'll miss it" moment. I had to go back and rewatch to make sure that Judy wasn't waiting for Rose in the diner, but she's waiting for someone named Donna.

Rose is the friend that Judy calls to talk to about Donna. Rose even shows up on the video call!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ahhh, yea I must have just not been paying attention.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dave Syndrome posted:

Quoting myself here, but I found some information about the one script I was thinking about. Seems I misremembered quite a lot (the brother was Lucifer, not Loki), also no guns and no bike, but I was right about the Millennium plotline.
The script was written in 1998 by William Farmer, and apart from a review on Ain't It Cool, it doesn't seem to have ever surfaced.
http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/2571

Here's the version by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio (the guys who went on to write the Pirates of the Caribbean movies). I remember reading it a while back, because apparently it was the one that got closest to actually being produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Here's the version by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio (the guys who went on to write the Pirates of the Caribbean movies). I remember reading it a while back, because apparently it was the one that got closest to actually being produced.

WOOF some of that is very rough, but it's not "Morpheus battles giant spider" bad like the Jon Peters was supposedly. He also wanted a group of teenage girls at a slumber party to summon Dream rather than Burgess :wtf: