Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

kalel posted:

that reminds me, I keep having a persistent thought of a hypothetical yugioh-esque anime for magic. it's at the point where I have an outline of the first episode fleshed out in my head. and yes I know about the manga. it doesn't have any of the heightened reality and campiness of yugioh which defeats the purpose imho

i want to watch that lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

bird. posted:

anyone know of any good LGS or mtg spot in seattle that let you play with printed custom art cards?

raygun lounge used to be good but the scene has changed since pre-pandemic, i printed a UW pioneer deck with all custom art and yugioh cardbacks lmao

edit: i know meeples is good but west seattle is practically as far away as canada from regular seattle

I haven’t found a good place since green lake games closed. I’m on the east side now and it’s just like, uncles and Mbh. I don’t think any will be cool with sanctioned play and proxies, but I doubt anyone would care if you’re there for commander.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

yeah, MBH is not cool with proxies on any night which tracks. most legacy or vintage nights will let you but i hate those formats.

I may just print a mengucube and try to get a vintage pod going now that I've proven out the process of making playing cards

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

bird. posted:

yeah, MBH is not cool with proxies on any night which tracks. most legacy or vintage nights will let you but i hate those formats.

I may just print a mengucube and try to get a vintage pod going now that I've proven out the process of making playing cards

I have been told (by goons and other cube enthusiasts, no less) that this is the gold standard for a power cube (if that's what you are looking for):

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5d61aa23b8ec593ca4b76ca6?fbclid=IwAR3LLS5I6WnWlevXeGz124i_PaOJtlpeFqERA9WptOmdVLBk7EMn-flI9jw

My power cube will incorporate a few of the conspiracy cards, but this is the basis of my own cube.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalel posted:

that reminds me, I keep having a persistent thought of a hypothetical yugioh-esque anime for magic. it's at the point where I have an outline of the first episode fleshed out in my head. and yes I know about the manga. it doesn't have any of the heightened reality and campiness of yugioh which defeats the purpose imho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_Masters

Duel Masters was created by WotC and a Japanese game designer 20 years as a way to make a version of Magic that was more palatable to Japanese kids that got into the hobby from Yugi-oh. Plays largely similar and there's even been a few crossover promo sets

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334358649248

It's been pretty successful and the anime has something over 200 episodes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I picked up a couple of those lotuses for like ten bucks as a novelty, they're real neat, real shame we're stuck never being able to have something like that for actual magic

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_Masters

Duel Masters was created by WotC and a Japanese game designer 20 years as a way to make a version of Magic that was more palatable to Japanese kids that got into the hobby from Yugi-oh. Plays largely similar and there's even been a few crossover promo sets

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334358649248

It's been pretty successful and the anime has something over 200 episodes.

From memory though Wizards wanted an anime about the actual card characters, not people playing the game. Which is why it ended up being Duel Masters instead of MtG.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I haven't watched it but it's funny that the Shadowverse anime is about people playing the TCG and not whatever the in-universe Shadowverse setting is

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There eventually was a manga about dumb teenagers playing magic in 1999, which imho owns.

I would love to see either an anime that goes full Yugioh where it's people playing the cards but somehow magic is real through the cards, or an anime about the setting's story. Either would be hilarious.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Destroy all Humans, they can't be Regenerated.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kalel posted:

There's that Chandra Netflix show that's in development hell, I guess

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

yes, it's very good, but apparently it can't be licensed due to some sort of agreement in japan? which sucks, and I'd love an anime of it since it's a really good manga. plus I love the artist's style, the blockiness of the characters and the emotional style they give them, it's great.

also the depth of their knowledge of mtg of the time is something else

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

MTG 2.0 You Can (Not) Regenerate

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Invictus posted:

yes, it's very good, but apparently it can't be licensed due to some sort of agreement in japan? which sucks, and I'd love an anime of it since it's a really good manga. plus I love the artist's style, the blockiness of the characters and the emotional style they give them, it's great.

The Chandra manga feels like it takes inspiration from Slayers.

That's good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lord_Magmar posted:

From memory though Wizards wanted an anime about the actual card characters, not people playing the game. Which is why it ended up being Duel Masters instead of MtG.

WOTC refused to learn from the masters of commcercialization and that's why Pokemon and Yugioh are so much bigger

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Just noticed that the emrakul out of my 2x2 box is one of the textured foils. This is an incredible subtle thing to be their big hyped feature

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's a shame, because the etched foils from CMR were gorgeous, and afaik the ones from baldurs gate aren't nearly as nice as those either.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

I have been told (by goons and other cube enthusiasts, no less) that this is the gold standard for a power cube (if that's what you are looking for):

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5d61aa23b8ec593ca4b76ca6?fbclid=IwAR3LLS5I6WnWlevXeGz124i_PaOJtlpeFqERA9WptOmdVLBk7EMn-flI9jw

My power cube will incorporate a few of the conspiracy cards, but this is the basis of my own cube.

this is cool. And it's something I might do, I think I'm going to start with MenguCube just because it's a recognizable brand that people probably don't already have and I already put the 6 or 7 hours or whatever it took to process everything in the order to the final preview and price stage ($122 bux + ship for a 540 cube btw) leaving it a one-click buy. At the post-sleeve and box cost of roughly $200, I can see myself doing it again if I can get a cube group going. Figure "have power cube, will travel" will be an easy enough way to wrangle together a vintage cube pod in the city prolly

bird. fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 8, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

born on a buy you posted:

Just noticed that the emrakul out of my 2x2 box is one of the textured foils. This is an incredible subtle thing to be their big hyped feature
are you sure? I've seen people claim they got a textured but it wasn't the specific numbered one, it was just a regular showcase foil.

in videos I've seen the textureds look real nice, but I suppose holding them under a light really shows it off more than just general handling.

also, if it is, congrats on your $$$

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The etched foils don't stand out very much either.

I got an etched Imperial Seal and didn't realize it at first.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Aphrodite posted:

The etched foils don't stand out very much either.

I got an etched Imperial Seal and didn't realize it at first.

I don’t understand how this could be possible. They look completely different from every other foil.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Etched foils and textured foils aren't the same, right?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
speaking of etched foils, the double masters must have a hosed up rarity, was planning on picking up a Divine Visitation and there are like ten available in all of Germany

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LeafHouse posted:

I don’t understand how this could be possible. They look completely different from every other foil.

They look very different from other foils, but the etched effect is so minor they don't stand out much from the regular cards. With the Seal in particular, unless you angle it in the light it just looks like the normal one with darker text boxes.

I mean yeah, considering I was opening a collector's pack I should have realized I guess.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

HootTheOwl posted:

Etched foils and textured foils aren't the same, right?

Oh yeah, they’re talking about textured foils I think? There’s no textured imperial seal though

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 8, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, the only foils are Lilliana, Wren and the three eldrazi. It's more noticeable in the light since it looks like they're covered in thumbprints.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Captain Invictus posted:

are you sure? I've seen people claim they got a textured but it wasn't the specific numbered one, it was just a regular showcase foil.

in videos I've seen the textureds look real nice, but I suppose holding them under a light really shows it off more than just general handling.

also, if it is, congrats on your $$$

Yeah it’s collectors number 575 and there is def a pattern to the foiling but it isn’t super noticeable imo

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Captain Invictus posted:

The Manga is great because, among other things, it has a secondary character give an impassioned anime speech about how they've been practicing, and they have improved as a person, etc etc, then kill their opponent on turn 1 with a degenerate "tinker into Memory Jar" deck.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Drewjitsu posted:

Ooh, which ones were you planning on putting in?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Abhorrence posted:

The Manga is great because, among other things, it has a secondary character give an impassioned anime speech about how they've been practicing, and they have improved as a person, etc etc, then kill their opponent on turn 1 with a degenerate "tinker into Memory Jar" deck.
it also has funny faces based on mtg artwork

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sit on my Jace posted:

Here's the vintage cube I run with friends.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/ii7

We run cogwork librarian and lore seeker, they are great fun.

edit: dang it's out of date there are new capricola cards and baldur's gate cards in there too now

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone happen to know who was the youngest person to play a Pro Tour event? I think my friend's brother was at one point (at 12 years old in 2000) and I'm curious if that's still the case. My Google searches came up with nothing specific.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sit on my Jace posted:

Canal dreger, cogwork librarian, lore seeker, agent of acquisitions, worldknit, sovereigns realm, and the conspiracy that always makes you go first.

Then I've got booster tutor as well. And the booster tutor is more unglued cards:
Spike
Timmy
Johnny
Staying power
Topsy turvy
Blast from the past
Flavour judge
Rare-b-gone
Who // what // where // when // why
Rules lawyer
Clock napper
More or less
Frankie peanuts
Gifts given
Old fogey
Symbol status

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 8, 2022

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Worldknit is basically the most powerful card in cube

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Drewjitsu posted:

Canal dreger, cogwork librarian, lore seeker, agent of acquisitions, worldknit, sovereigns realm, and the conspiracy that always makes you go first.

Then I've got booster tutor as well. And the booster tutor is more unglued cards:
Spike
Timmy
Johnny
Staying power
Topsy turvy
Blast from the past
Flavour judge
Rare-b-gone
Who // what // where // when // why
Rules lawyer
Clock napper
More or less
Frankie peanuts
Gifts given
Old fogey
Symbol status

Ashnod's coupon or no deal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

uggy posted:

Worldknit is basically the most powerful card in cube

Lol, i just looked at it. I see how they thought it was balanced but im gonna guess that the only time its weak is if its in the last pack, cuz otherwise you just pick the most powerful card in each round and call it a day

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
It's hard for me to imagine what an appealing MTG show/book/etc would even look like.

The world it would have to be built around is an unfortunate mix of shallow themes delivered in a serious tone. Seems like it would just come out looking like a marvel movie.

I'd want something that connects with the levity and spirit of the game itself.

Like, how do you incorporate the feeling of suddenly stumbling upon an emergent and unique game state and the fascination of seeing how it resolves? Without just doing some approximation of Yu-gi-Oh?

Maybe it should be a heist movie....

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

People who drafted during Kaldheim: how many snow lands would you be able to use? Did they just give everyone all snow lands for basics? Or did you have to pick them out of boosters and use regular basics otherwise?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

big cummers ONLY posted:

People who drafted during Kaldheim: how many snow lands would you be able to use? Did they just give everyone all snow lands for basics? Or did you have to pick them out of boosters and use regular basics otherwise?

The latter, you have to draft them from the packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

whiggles posted:

It's hard for me to imagine what an appealing MTG show/book/etc would even look like.

The world it would have to be built around is an unfortunate mix of shallow themes delivered in a serious tone. Seems like it would just come out looking like a marvel movie.

I'd want something that connects with the levity and spirit of the game itself.

Like, how do you incorporate the feeling of suddenly stumbling upon an emergent and unique game state and the fascination of seeing how it resolves? Without just doing some approximation of Yu-gi-Oh?

Maybe it should be a heist movie....
The Weatherlight Saga was a significant length series of pulp fantasy novels that imo were not bad storytelling at all considering it was largely one overarching saga across what, a dozen books at least? And imo pulls off the finale quite well. Shockingly dark for something marketed to kids, too. If they did a movie or TV series I think I'd want them to adapt that since it's by far their best success in terms of storytelling.

Otherwise, just adapt Destroy All Humankind.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 8, 2022