Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

does finnish have an equivalent to the académie française

Yes, but the loving French keep ignoring its findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Yes but because we're Finnish we call it Language Office

...but its name is Department of Language Maintenance.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

appropriate it has its own slang

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yes, but the loving French keep ignoring its findings.

combining finnish noun cases, french genders, and a superset of francofinnish vowel sounds to create what i call "perkelais", the language designed to piss everybody off

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

combining finnish noun cases, french genders, and a superset of francofinnish vowel sounds to create what i call "perkelais", the language designed to piss everybody off

Kun pierasee niin lemuaa.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How is the momo not on there :confused:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cartographer said "No momo".

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cartographer said "No momo".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

An interesting theory, but it's much more readily explained by dumplings being used as rations during the Finno-Korean Hyperwar

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

dumplings were a staple of the ancients and when they brought humans to earth and planted the stargate, they introduced dumplings.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The real winners here are Japan, India, and Italy, which did not get conquered by Mongols and yet still made out with some delightful dumplings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it me or is it weird to include the African bits on that map? Because whats included on this map simply includes the coastal bits of the different Atlas ranges that go, essentially, east-to-west. And south of that this map has land that as far as I understand it isnt too mountainous at all?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is it me or is it weird to include the African bits on that map? Because whats included on this map simply includes the coastal bits of the different Atlas ranges that go, essentially, east-to-west. And south of that this map has land that as far as I understand it isnt too mountainous at all?

The Anti-Atlas mountains specifically were part of the same range as the Appalachians and the Caledonians.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think it's basically just marking the extent of the ancient mountains. The ones in Norway were just as flat not that long ago, having eroded down into flat plains, before recent uplift made them mountains again and erosion exposed the old rock.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why are the Caledonian Mountains in Norway?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Triskelli posted:

The Anti-Atlas mountains specifically were part of the same range as the Appalachians and the Caledonians.

Triskelli posted:

Duly noted, thank you both, I guess I understood that wrong last time I looked at it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Vikings stole them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think it's basically just marking the extent of the ancient mountains. The ones in Norway were just as flat not that long ago, having eroded down into flat plains, before recent uplift made them mountains again and erosion exposed the old rock.

whoa

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because an Austrian named the ancient mountain range after the bit that was in Europe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I actually used this map for a class discussion at one point recently. My students and I concluded that the purple is a mix of London immigrants and their descendents, and Ulster Protestants.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

huge, source

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grape posted:

I actually used this map for a class discussion at one point recently. My students and I concluded that the purple is a mix of London immigrants and their descendents, and Ulster Protestants.

And Leicester

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

That sudden oceanic abyss is eerily almost exactly where I find Connecticut to stop feeling like NYC metro and start feeling like New England.
The coast suddenly stops being dense suburbs and mini-cities, and starts being cute little leafy shore towns with lots of clam shacks.

Grape fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 10, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've heard that a problem with the transit system around NYC is that there's no beltways to go around Manhattan, so people have to funnel through the busiest part of the network to get between different branches.

Also nice to see the rail just zig right around my hometown. Maybe if it zagged I'd have grown into a proper train nerd. Or at least have developed some kind of understanding of how to interpret rail maps in relation to the real world.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the New York subway is very radial and Manhattan focused. It desperately needs a loop line.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

I'm not the only one who thought "The Senate and ... Rome", right?

(Obviously, the redder it is, the more Roman.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the New York subway is very radial and Manhattan focused. It desperately needs a loop line.

It is called "the city" for a reason.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I always knew Wales were the henchmen of dictatorial rule

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

And Leicester
Saying you're English in Leicester is/was seen as pretty much the same as saying you have strong views about 'the Asians'.

There seems to be a similar but much less pronounced trend in Nottingham, Derby, and Birmingham/West Midlands. I'm surprised it's that much smaller but then again through folk history a bunch of people in Leicester still associate the Kingdom of England with the Sack of Leicester.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Prince Rupert of the Rhine, who sacked Leicester, was believed by many to be a witch and his dog Boy, a large white poodle, was thought to be a shape shifting immortal being (either a demon or a Sami witch depending on the source) who would catch any bullets fired at his master in his mouth. This belief was proven wrong when Boy was shot and killed at Marston Moor in 1644.

Rupert's Land, the territory of the Hudson Bay Company, in what is now Canada was named after Rupert.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 10, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So the NYC subway line is like the DC one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm confused bc it's the above-ground rail of the area, not New York subway

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm confused bc it's the above-ground rail of the area, not New York subway

yeah the subway is not on this map

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hunt11 posted:

So the NYC subway line is like the DC one.

Outside of Manhattan, yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Outside of Manhattan, yes.

How is the DC system within Manhattan?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

did... did people think the NY subway went deep into Jersey, upstate, and CT??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Grape posted:

did... did people think the NY subway went deep into Jersey, upstate, and CT??

It should