Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Idiot king, like a mod but just for one thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

PopZeus posted:

Mayveena is cool and good and rad and whoever de-IK’d her sucks.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

PopZeus posted:

Mayveena is cool and good and rad and whoever de-IK’d her sucks.

Agreed. Can anyone explain what happened instead of vaguely hinting at it?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Captain Theron posted:

Agreed. Can anyone explain what happened instead of vaguely hinting at it?

How about literally read the thread

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How about literally read the thread

I have, but no one has said why she was de-IK’d and driven out of the thread. Who complained and what about? Why did the mods feel that this was in any way a sensible decision and why did no one one bother to notify the thread?
This is all very odd and there still isn't a clear answer on what happened.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

Suddenly Susan and I did a ticketed play session with the designer and managed to each score one of the ~150 copies they surprise sold at gencon.

It’s excellent, easily the game of a ~lackluster gencon for new and heavier releases.

actual Twilight Inscription thoughts:

each player has four sheets, each sheet has 2 unlockable technologies and ways to spend the game's dice generated resources to unlock other resources some sheets can consume.

1. Navigation - takes dice resources and gives you points / access to mecatol / relics / planetary resources which can be used on
2. Expansion - unlock planets with resources from Navigation, use dice resources to complete columns and rows to unlock votes, trade goods, dice, etc
3. Industry - primarily a solo tic-tac-toe game on an irregular grid to choose which resources (O) you want, and which (X) you're willing to discard, but also manages your votes and trade goods.
4. Warfare - spend resources to build units.

each round a card's drawn from a deck that determines the type of round - council, war, production, strategy. most rounds are strategy, there are...3 council, 4 war, and I dunno how many production cards in the deck. the final war card triggers end of game.

cards often have resources on them - each player chooses ONE of their four sheets to ACTIVATE, then spends those resources on that sheet. afterward, all 6 dice (3 grey, 3 colored to the basic resource types) are rolled and each player spends their values (the grey everyone gets, the others each player gets if they've unlocked that color for their active sheet) on their active sheet only. you can also spend resources FROM your inactive sheets to perform actions on your active sheet, but not the opposite.

so each turn each player chooses what to focus on. you're also not allowed to look at other players' sheets while your pen is in hand, and when you put your pen down, you're done with the current step and can't pick it up again.

when a war comes up, each player fights the players to their left and right given the units each has deployed to their left and right. each unit takes up a number of dots in a grid joined by lines, and your army strength is the number of dots you have under that war's deployment line. afterward, all those units are lost. Losing a war costs you -1VP, winning gives you extremely good but not unique unlocks (planets, dice, etc)

each player also has a faction card that gives them a unique passive and active ability - each sheet can unlock 1 use of the active ability, so max 4 times/game use.

I didn't get a chance to play it again yesterday, and over the next week I'll probably get in some solo plays, but from the ~70% complete demo we played friday, the game is extremely good. there's very little downtime, it feels like you're building a unique empire, the faction abilities are strong but not gamebreaking, and you can play it 4-5 times with 8 players in the same time as a game of TI4.

24 factions, 8 unique variants of each sheet + 1 set all the same, big deck of relics.
there's also a robot you use in the 1-2 player game.

djfooboo posted:

I have two friends whom opinions I trust that said it was the game of the con for them and they aren’t roll and write apologists.

to me this is faint praise cause gencon had very little that was a) exciting b) 3+ weight and c) available, but Twilight Inscription is extremely good. Playing it was #2 on my gencon 2022 highlights, acquiring it was #1.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Captain Theron posted:

I have, but no one has said why she was de-IK’d and driven out of the thread. Who complained and what about? Why did the mods feel that this was in any way a sensible decision and why did no one one bother to notify the thread?
This is all very odd and there still isn't a clear answer on what happened.

Hey, everyone. I'm really sorry that this has been a disruption to the thread. I wasn't at the heart of the decision and don't feel comfortable speaking for Leperflesh (who contacted Mayveena directly about this), but hopefully I can shed a little light on it.

The major issue that led to Mayveena being de-IK'ed is that she was very difficult to work with. I received several PMs from her about board game modding decisions, and every one involved a thinly-veiled threat to quit IKing; the vibe I got was that she was very unhappy that anyone but her was taking mod action in the thread at all, even though (as someone previously mentioned), IKs can't see reports and acting on reports is generally down to the mods. The overall impression I got was that she was very stressed about the position in general and about interacting with the mod staff. After some discussion, Leperflesh and I determined that we didn't feel comfortable with her as a part of the moderation team for TG given the difficulties we had working with her over extremely minor issues. I think she did her best and meant well, but ultimately the dynamics weren't working in the way we'd hoped for.

Mayveena was not de-IKed because of her posting or general community involvement, and she wasn't told to leave the thread -- on the contrary, we both very much hoped she'd continue posting here, since her expertise on the topic is a valuable part of the community. I understand if she doesn't feel comfortable with it right now, but I hope she's willing to return when the time is right.

I apologize for the lack of statement at the time. I think we were all hoping for a graceful transition that wouldn't necessarily require a statement to be made, because we didn't want to put the situation in public in case that caused more discomfort, but I can also understand that saying nothing can also cause harm. In an ideal world, I think we'd have consulted with Mayveena and figured out a proper way to post about it in a way that made our intentions clear.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Good to hear the mods just thought nobody would notice or something

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A graceful transition to what?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

In an ideal world, I think we'd have consulted with Mayveena and figured out a proper way to post about it in a way that made our intentions clear.

You know you could have just done that? You have the power to make your 'ideal world' in this situation, there's no legal process or hostile power preventing you from talking to people first, instead of just taking action and hoping to cover it up.

I'm glad you realise you hosed up, but you and leper flesh had all the ability you needed to handle this better, it's solely on you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

an iksar marauder posted:

I mean, isn't that basically what happened?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Captain Theron posted:

I'm glad you realise you hosed up, but you and leper flesh had all the ability you needed to handle this better, it's solely on you.

Yeah, seems like we didn't get a mod that was any better than the last one. I had hoped it would be different.

The mod basically just confirmed what I feared when we got the IK: they hung her out to dry. When goons pushed backed against the judgement of the person they chose, they immediately capitulated. I know it's a volunteer position but if you aren't willing to put up with a little drama, then you shouldn't be a mod.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

The mod basically just confirmed what I feared when we got the IK: they hung her out to dry. When goons pushed backed against the judgement of the person they chose, they immediately capitulated. I know it's a volunteer position but if you aren't willing to put up with a little drama, then you shouldn't be a mod.

That's not what antivehicular said at all...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

That's not what antivehicular said at all...

Considering you are a person who was starting huge pointless fights with Mayveena in this thread, let me tell you I am wholly uninterested in your thoughts on this matter.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Okay well as a neutral third party: that isn’t what Antivehicular said at all.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nobody did notice, she hasn't posted in the thread for month.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Considering you are a person who was starting huge pointless fights with Mayveena in this thread, let me tell you I am wholly uninterested in your thoughts on this matter.

What is your problem man

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

My problem is that we have a sexism (and occasional other -ism) problem in this thread (not you, FAK), and even though that would have probably been tolerated on "old SA" at least "old SA" would have actually probed people sometimes. We finally got someone who I know for a fact would not hesitate to act, and the mods failed her.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Magnetic North posted:

My problem is that we have a sexism (and occasional other -ism) problem in this thread (not you, FAK), and even though that would have probably been tolerated on "old SA" at least "old SA" would have actually probed people sometimes. We finally got someone who I know for a fact would not hesitate to act, and the mods failed her.

Idk why we call it old SA considering the sheer volume of people who still go "Heh, this is SA kid, we invented Helldump. Too bad." when asked nicely to not be shitters. (they will cry and have tantrums if their feelings get hurt the loudest)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Dancer fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 8, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Magnetic North posted:

If you think something needs to be dealt with you can report or pm a mod, and if you don't think your concerns are getting the attention they should you can pm an admin like me, or go straight to jeff. it might not always get the results you want but i can promise people will listen.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Wow, everytime a mod posts, it makes them sound worse.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

As another neutral third party, someone quitting the thread because they lost buttons does sound like someone who got a bit too invested in the role (though obviously if there was a personality clash that can lead to hurt feelings). A lot of posters here obviously care about Mayveena's opinions and contributions to the community, even without the ability to outright police the thread, so hopefully she'll come back after realizing that's more important than the dubious honor of getting to hand out an occasional sixer.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Idiot king, like a mod but just for one thread
you can be ik for a thread or a forum, either way you can only hand out sixers or queue longer probes/bans for a mod or admin to approve

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mayveena did not leave because she lost a probe button. She left because of the people that were complaining and wanted her gone and LF agreed with that so she didn’t feel welcome here any more. Leperflesh actively makes TG worse and has now driven out a great member of our community.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Mayveena did not leave because she lost a probe button. She left because of the people that were complaining and wanted her gone and LF agreed with that so she didn’t feel welcome here any more. Leperflesh actively makes TG worse and has now driven out a great member of our community.

Not just our community; the boardgames community in general. People don't respect Mayveena just because she's old and has played a lot of games. She's a co-designer of one of the most influential games in history, she playtested for WOTC when Garfield was in his pomp, and she was one of the first people to bring Euro games to the States. I'm not saying this thread wouldn't exist without her or any such hyperbole, and you're certainly allowed to disagree with her, but she had a larger hand in creating the hobby we live in than anyone I've ever met apart from Rick Loomis, Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Throwing in lurker support for Mayveena, hoping she comes back!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Jedit posted:

Not just our community; the boardgames community in general. People don't respect Mayveena just because she's old and has played a lot of games. She's a co-designer of one of the most influential games in history, she playtested for WOTC when Garfield was in his pomp, and she was one of the first people to bring Euro games to the States. I'm not saying this thread wouldn't exist without her or any such hyperbole, and you're certainly allowed to disagree with her, but she had a larger hand in creating the hobby we live in than anyone I've ever met apart from Rick Loomis, Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone.

I didn’t know this about her, that’s really cool

More people should play euro games

As for nobody finding out, well, I guess people did find out? It’s all good though. I can’t imagine that this forum gets that much traffic. And let’s be real the drama in this thread has been pretty mild

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This thread is the loving worst.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah funny how the mods inaction and now action in the wrong direction have made what was mostly a chill thread hostile toward the good members that were acting on behalf of the community to keep it good and welcoming. And under the guise of “difficult to work with” give me a loving break and just say what you mean “didn’t act like our puppet as we told her to”, to say nothing of the thinly veiled sexism that phrase conjures.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I like mayveena's posting a lot but I didn't think she was a great choice for IK and this is about exactly how I expected it to go.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Taking a page from the D&D mods playbook.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tbh I doubt we'll get to see them but it'd be nice to at least see the alleged thinly-veiled threats-of-stepping-down PMs. Especially since leperflesh was the one handling the whole thing and he hasn't posted about it yet (if he has and I just missed it then my bad).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah funny how the mods inaction and now action in the wrong direction have made what was mostly a chill thread hostile toward the good members that were acting on behalf of the community to keep it good and welcoming. And under the guise of “difficult to work with” give me a loving break and just say what you mean “didn’t act like our puppet as we told her to”, to say nothing of the thinly veiled sexism that phrase conjures.

Thank you for calling this out, "difficult to work with" didn't sit right with me when I read it, but I didn't have the words to express why.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Thank you for calling this out, "difficult to work with" didn't sit right with me when I read it, but I didn't have the words to express why.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Let's say we take this at face value (lol)

quote:

the vibe I got was that she was very unhappy that anyone but her was taking mod action in the thread at all

Could mods that know nothing about boardgames taking action about something they know nothing about (like say, giving someone a time-out for posting a page from the rulebook, when publishers making rulebooks downloadable for all is an industry standard lol) have something to do with it?!?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Im stuck in colorado helping my elderly parents move and al! i have is a phone and a kindle so i cant easily type out everything i want to say. but ill try.
We picked mayveena as an ik candidate for the reasons already mentioned, shes a great boardgame expert and it seemed she was well liked here.

iks are not substitute mods and we never could or intended to ignore this or any other tg thread. thatts just not how it works. A dedicated ik could sometimes catch problems brewing faster than mods covering the whole forum, and can advise mods with contxt for occasionally baffling reports. I read every post in this thread but sometimes im 2 days behind and an ik that keeps up daily can be a better in problem threads. Basically an IK adds help, she doesnt replace mods.

apparenly there was discord drama but other than hearing there was drama i don't know what, nor do i want to really. Mayveena said something about separating from the discord a while back. I dont know if saying she was run off is accurate or not but if so I cant imagine why, shes hardly a problematic poster or anything?

Mayveena seemed distraught over every thread issue. She made an error of interpretation of a post and probed herself as some sort of self punishment for example. She said a lot of stuff in pms, I regard pms as private and would not share the contents without her permission but the gist of it is she seemed unhappy all the time with what is supposed to be a casual volunteer low stress role. And no it wasnt all about those two posters either. When admins started saying we should just de ik her i said she deserved more time tonsettle into the role and she gotntwo or three more months of us trying to encourage her to not worry so much, keep feeling out the role, and so on.

I honestly thought shed be glad to be de-iked at the end and asked her in that pm if she thought it would be fair to call it a mutual parting of ways. My first concern was to avoid giving people who didn't like her any reason to gloat or something. Because genuinely I think she has been and is great as a poster and im sorry that being an ik caused her so much stress.

I think its unfair to claim we hung her out to dry. In fact we gave mayveena more direct support in three or four months than any other ik in TG has needed or asked for in my two years as a mod.

I hope i am making it clear here that the real issues weren't specific probation decisions or a choice between three days or a week probation that she disagreed with. Mayveena wasnt OK with what she felt was her responsibility and we didnt have the tools or the rules on sa to suit her vision of what she thought she should be doing and she didnt seem to accept the scope of the role.

On the day i sent her the pm saying anti, myself, and admins had decided to de ik her i drafted an announcement in the mod forum and anti made a suggestion or two on it, but an admin said it would be better not to say anything until mayveena decided if she was going to say something herself and i went along with that. after a week or so we should have gone ahead and i regret not acting regardless of admin advice. That was a mistake on my part. I admit i was not looking forward to the drama i anticipated and that made it easier to let more time go by. Im sorry for not making an announcement earlier.

Sexism is not a factor here, and i think its gross to level that accusation without reciepts. I would ask anyone claiming sexism to post any evidence of that because its a serious charge to me. Or send it to an admin if you want.

Lastly I want to say that I dont like posting about mayveena like this, it feels really bad to out these issues because we were the ones who came to her asking for help and she doesnt deserve this sort of negative attention and I kind of resent the weird theorycrafting here that has made it necessary for mods to defend decisions in public that were made in private for good reason.

If you want to hate on me i can take it its part of what i signed up for i guess but please dont demand that mods share more of mayveenas PMs because unless she tells me directly to post things and exactly what to post im not doing it. If that means a fantasy about what happened is going to persist i guess i cant do anything more about that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So many words to say nothing.

The sexism charge was specifically to the phrase I quoted that was used on this very page and not an accusation for the decision to unmod her. If you misinterpret posts that straightforward why are you even a mod?

The only reason I brought the topic up was because this was the first time I was reminded we no longer have an IK to handle lovely posts from the lovely poster(the post was already reported when I tried to, but no action was taken because of course) and was to talk about the people that wanted her removed and the ones that did it and to tell them that they can kiss my rear end.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Leperflesh posted:

I admit i was not looking forward to the drama i anticipated and that made it easier to let more time go by. Im sorry for not making an announcement earlier.

This thread is the most driven thread I read. I think drama is the ONLY thing that can be anticipated.