Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

NorgLyle posted:

One of my favorite stupid 90s takes on the gang infested future of America was from the movie version of Double Dragon (which I liked as a kid); the police of Los Angeles made a deal with the gangs where the gangs give up all their guns and the police stop enforcing any kind of law at night. You needed it to set up the (very very bad) premise of the Double Dragon games where nobody shoots anyone ever but even as a kid come on.

"So, what crime do you do at night?"
"Gun smuggling."
"Heyyyy, that's rude! Come on, man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

credburn posted:

Prey (2006) was one of the last really good first person shooters that didn't lean so hard into multiplayer, loot crates and other such nonsense. You were a Native American guy with a lighter and your girlfriend gets kidnapped by a UFO and you go gently caress them up. It had an extreme Cronenburg aesthetic to it.

It also has the real Art Bell!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Loomer posted:

It also has the real Art Bell!

Prey was one of those rare moments where the stars align to give me a game which just combines so many things I like. From Art Bell to Blue Oyster Cult, that game was awesome.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Prey was one of those rare moments where the stars align to give me a game which just combines so many things I like. From Art Bell to Blue Oyster Cult, that game was awesome.

You can also finish it in a day if you have some time to spare on a pretty rad FPS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of which, I haven’t seen warriors in ages. I remember the silly stuff like the baseball furies, but I kind of have a feeling it’s more racist than I remember.

I watched it recently because it was finally on Amazon Prime, and I'm not sure how racist it was, but it was definitely full of sexism and homophobia wrapped up together in a thick toxic masculinity soup.

It's funny how New York is a complete gang wasteland but the subway's still running.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I watched it recently because it was finally on Amazon Prime, and I'm not sure how racist it was, but it was definitely full of sexism and homophobia wrapped up together in a thick toxic masculinity soup.

It's funny how New York is a complete gang wasteland but the subway's still running.

That's just a realistic portrayal of new York in the 1970s.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
The sexism and homophobia is definitely an issue in The Warriors, but I wish more gangs would choose a colorful theme and stick with it.

Plus the DJ was The Chief from the Where In the World Is Carmen San Diego? tv show and gives me shivers up my spine when she says, "Hey there, boppers..."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The gangs probably running them because subways are, according to every american movie, Mos Eisley with wheels.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Warriors is a lot like Boondock Saints where it's an awesome film if you are a 20-year old male but you watch it ten years later it's just...yeah.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Warriors video game kicked rear end

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Very vaguely related to 80s movies about crime, I just watched the first Police Academy again and it actually held up a lot better than I'd expected. Even with the stuff that's a bit borderline by now, it very much makes a point of punching up rather than down.

But the main reason I'm bringing it up is because it's a great refutation of the whole "You can't make good comedies today because everyone's too woke!" nonsense. After all, the entire plot is about a group of minorities and misfits outsmarting a bunch of bigots who want to keep the place exclusively white, straight, and male. Were it to release today it'd be considered extremely woke by the usual suspects, I'm sure. The only real difference compared to more modern comedies is that it's also Very Horny.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bobjr posted:

I liked the trend that we’d have crime ridden post-apocalyptic cities, but the people would chase you on roller skates.

I understood this and I'm angry that I do.

loving Wheel Zone.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Very vaguely related to 80s movies about crime, I just watched the first Police Academy again and it actually held up a lot better than I'd expected. Even with the stuff that's a bit borderline by now, it very much makes a point of punching up rather than down.

But the main reason I'm bringing it up is because it's a great refutation of the whole "You can't make good comedies today because everyone's too woke!" nonsense. After all, the entire plot is about a group of minorities and misfits outsmarting a bunch of bigots who want to keep the place exclusively white, straight, and male. Were it to release today it'd be considered extremely woke by the usual suspects, I'm sure. The only real difference compared to more modern comedies is that it's also Very Horny.

The Blue Oyster Bar running gag didn't age well though

I bring it up because when I was a dumb teenager, just the music was enough to make me laugh my rear end off.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't they basically sexually harassment the heck out of that blonde lady? Or was that a sequel

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Justin Godscock posted:

The Warriors is a lot like Boondock Saints where it's an awesome film if you are a 20-year old male but you watch it ten years later it's just...yeah.

I haven't seen Warriors since I was a teenager but it was one of my favorite films and I used to quote it all the time and now I'm scared of revisiting it :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

credburn posted:

I haven't seen Warriors since I was a teenager but it was one of my favorite films and I used to quote it all the time and now I'm scared of revisiting it :(

I actually really like it. Yeah it's of its time but it's nowhere near as bad on most of those issues as plenty of other movies. It's a bit of a cartoon but there's fun to be had there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Warriors is many times better than Boondock Saints.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh i thought most of warriors was okay? Even the lesbians didnt seem that homophobic but maybe i wasnt supposed to think they were cool as hell?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just didn't appreciate the instances of what, you're not considering rape? What are you, gay?!.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just didn't appreciate the instances of what, you're not considering rape? What are you, gay?!.

Boy that line didn't age well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's all Ajax, though, and he's never portrayed as anything other than a dumb violent rear end in a top hat. Even the rest of the gang call him out for it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, you're not meant to think Ajax is cool or smart, everything he says is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. And I like that the lady who joins them is going to fight with them and isn't just some wilting flower. I dunno, I like it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Warriors is good

Just because there are lovely people in the movie doesn't make the movie bad. We were talking up a storm about Predator and that movie has several hard fs in it and it's still a near perfect film of its era.

Something similar to depiction is not endorsement. A Clockwork Orange hasn't aged poorly- it was always meant to be challenging. If you don't want to watch something with that kind of element, that's one thing.

This is of course ignoring films that are made TO BE racist/lovely out right and have no other reason to be but that. But generally speaking, that's not what we're talking about with stuff like Warriors.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ajax is the one that follows through with it the most, but I think others stated and acted on similar sentiments. I mean, Swan uses it as a threat with Mercy, if memory serves.

Edit: I'm sorry, are we in the "either defend media fully or reject it fully" thread? I think aspects of the movie aged poorly. I didn't say it was the worst film that was ever made.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Ajax is the one that follows through with it the most, but I think others stated and acted on similar sentiments. I mean, Swan uses it as a threat with Mercy, if memory serves.

Edit: I'm sorry, are we in the "either defend media fully or reject it fully" thread? I think aspects of the movie aged poorly. I didn't say it was the worst film that was ever made.

I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have to slide into the latter. Some fall into that mindset and you know it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Aug 9, 2022

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Patrick Willems had an interesting retrospective on the whole Police Academy series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxZ_QdaSQ8

He also talks about how the first one aged pretty well because of that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also has the casanova guy learn to enjoy being dommed.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just rewatched it recently, and it was still fun, but more rapey than I remembered. At one point the group was walking through the park and Ajax wanted to rape the woman who was sitting alone. The other members objected, not on moral grounds, but because they didn't have enough time in their schedule. They didn't stop Ajax, they just left him behind.

"Warriors, come out to play" still rocks though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A "fun" tweet about conversation with a conservative who admits that transposing something from 30 years ago to today would make it "woke." I think the thread it's part of is pretty spot-on.
https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1553313104326340608

On the subject of things aging interestingly, the trailer for the new Shazam movie has an Eminem song in it. I remember the 90s when there was controversy about the NFL putting My Name is Slim Shady in commercials without looking at the lyrics because it's a fun bouncy tune, and now his work is alongside one of the more kid-centric superhero movies. I gather his output hasn't been like the 90s and early aughts for a long time, but it's still interesting that that happened.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Absolutely huge news if a film based on Xenophon's Anabasis (c.370 BC) doesn't equate to "cool guys who we can all agree are great" today.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Double post.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

credburn posted:

Prey (2006) was one of the last really good first person shooters that didn't lean so hard into multiplayer, loot crates and other such nonsense. You were a Native American guy with a lighter and your girlfriend gets kidnapped by a UFO and you go gently caress them up. It had an extreme Cronenburg aesthetic to it.

No? Plenty of really good first person shooters afterwards didn't do any of that.

Vandar posted:

I still hate that Prey 2 got canceled.

Improbable Lobster posted:

That trailer still owns

Yeah too bad the devs are huge scam artists who managed to bungle and scam literally everyone repeatedly. The trailer was just a cutscene they pretended was being actually played and was nowhere near complete when Bethesda got mad and pulled the plug.

Of course, the devs are now back at Bethesda after released their previous game and immediately declaring bankruptcy and then transferring everything to a new studio under Bethesda in order to avoid providing the after-launch support they had been paid to do.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rascar Capac posted:

Absolutely huge news if a film based on Xenophon's Anabasis (c.370 BC) doesn't equate to "cool guys who we can all agree are great" today.

If you're going to refer to this being an adaptation, might be worth pointing out how poorly the decision to whitewash the protagonists from the book aged:

"Among the gangs are the Coney Island Dominators, an African American/Hispanic gang who are the central characters of the novel. The Dominators are Papa Arnold, the leader, Hector the second-in-command, Lunkface the strongest and most dangerous member, Bimbo the advisor, Hinton the gang's artist and central character of the novel who is the second youngest, Dewey the most level-headed member of the gang and The Junior the youngest of the group as well as the gang's mascot."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

On the other hand aging them up from tweens was probably a good move.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Warriors iirc are kinda mixed, their original leader who gets killed at the start being black (and the Rockstar game basically makes him the protagonist for most of it, which uses the movie's events as a finale) and their outfits and symbology are vaguely Native American.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Kchama posted:

No? Plenty of really good first person shooters afterwards didn't do any of that.

I think it was the last one, bucko.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
bimbo the advisor

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

credburn posted:

I think it was the last one, bucko.

I guess if it was the last FPS you played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Re: Prey I still often think back to its comparatively unique arsenal of weapons. They're not mechanically all that distinct from your usual FPS fare (hell, there's a bog standard "machine gun with grenade launcher" but it's made of flesh because why not), but when the shotgun equivalent is an acid blast gun (with an alt fire where you just railgun the entire acid canister into a poor fucker's face) it's the sort of thing that sticks with me. Also the way your basic assault rifle scope is a gangly tentacle suction cup thing that slurps onto your eyeball, IIRC. Just creative designs even if they don't radically change how the game feels to play.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah there was that 20 year stretch from the mid 70s to the mid 90s where there were a lot of movies about either how crime ridden cities were or how in the future lawless gangs were going to take over.

Can't forget the classic character archetype of "gang member that unflinchingly shoots grandma just trying to run her bodega and then cackles like the Joker about it".