Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fangz posted:

Afterlife felt really tied into the blacklash against 2016 ("now here we finally have a properly reverential sequelll!!!!") in a way that was kinda offputting.

I think that’s more you and other audience members bringing that baggage into it. There’s nothing in the film that displays that notion at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's fair. There was an extremely annoying guy in our friend group who kept on banging on about it

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think both 16 and Afterlife were sucked into a culture war that neither could sustain. 16 beng besieged by toxic fans, and Afterlife being raked across the coals for the perception that it was pandering to said toxic fans. Which I don't think it really was. I mean it was certainly pandering to fans but not to the "no lady ghostbuster" lot mainly because it had a young girl as the lead and wasn't imbued with that attitude at all.

There was a super bizarre review of it that was just the critic taking mean spirited pot shots at the at the audience he watched it with. And I'm beginning to see that as part of a weird new trend in film criticism. Another review I read of No Way Home by a very respected film critic took a couple of weird shots at the potential audience of the film. It wasn't even a negative review, it was just like a weird need to say "the film is fine, but by the way the audience for it are dribbling morons".

I know fandoms and toxicity can be exhausting, and poor behaviour should be called out, and also that franchise mentality in modern studio filmmaking has problematic elements, but I'm seeing a new trend of critics having a contempt for the audience in kind of a weird way. And whether they're having a go at Star Wars fans, ZS fans, Marvel fans, Ghostbusters fans or what have you, maybe some care should be taken for them to actually condem the toxic ones rather than go on weird asides in their reviews about how anyone who watches what they deem to be below them are utter scum.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

The movie I’ve always wanted is a Back to the Future reboot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIyphGp0Vc

You're not wrong though that I'm sure Hollywood is desperate to remake it so it will inevitably happen. The only question is how long after Zemeckis dies do they wait before they drop an announcement on YouTube?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

twistedmentat posted:

I never watched Afterlife because it didn't seem to understand Ghostbusters is a comedy film. It seemed really serious and reverent, not what I want from a movie series with ghost blowjobs and "he slimed me" . While not great, at least the Ghostbuters from 2016 understood this.
I’ve never watched it either, for exactly this reason. Ghostbusters is one of the most iconic blue-collar and New York City movies ever. A sequel that’s an over-reverent nostalgia job about kids in the Midwest is a sequel that has quite literally lost the entire goddamn plot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i've seen a lot of reviews of Marvel stuff that just is long rants about the fans of these movies, that they're all stupid idiots who are just gobbling up the slops that Disney is dumping in the trough, with no care of the quality or enjoyment that might be gained from these films.

And its weird because they'll slobber all over other hollywood blockbusters for just the virture of not being Marvel. Like Top Gun Mavrick was apparently really good? I know it made a billion dollars, and it was praised, but uh, I heard the plot of the movie is literally a war crime? But ignoring that, its not like Mavrick was some small indie movie that people should see, its a giant huge Tom Cruise movie that's a sequel to THE Tom Cruise movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
top gun is a good example because idiots will to this day dump on captain marvel for being "propaganda" but no one had a problem with Maverick

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIyphGp0Vc

You're not wrong though that I'm sure Hollywood is desperate to remake it so it will inevitably happen. The only question is how long after Zemeckis dies do they wait before they drop an announcement on YouTube?

They're gonna do it and the car is going to be a Tesla and I'm going to hate everything about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

top gun is a good example because idiots will to this day dump on captain marvel for being "propaganda" but no one had a problem with Maverick

Well that's different. It's a guy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

There was a lot of discourse about Top Gun as a MIC movie

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 8, 2022

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's because Brie Larsen isn't cool enough to own multiple vehicles made specifically for her by religion-flavored slave labor.

Honestly I'm surprised anyone who knows even the smallest details about what scientology does for Tom Cruise ever watches any of his stuff. But I guess he does one big stunt that they pay for feature articles of per movie so what do I know.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Hootington posted:

A lot of reviewers lambasted Top Gun as a MIC movie

oh, i don't read reviews just what people say on Twitter and in chats and stuff. weird that apparently they had a problem with it but most regular people didn't. a lot of people I've seen complain about captain marvel as propaganda thought Maverick was fun

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endless Mike posted:

They're gonna do it and the car is going to be a Tesla and I'm going to hate everything about it.

"Marty! WE'VE GOT TO GO BACK AND TIME AND KILL ELON MUSK SO YOUR PARENTS DONT DIE IN THAT poo poo rear end DEATHTRAP"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Endless Mike posted:

It’s fine, we just put Rob and Bob in cryosleep so they’re technically still alive ergo their block remains in place until the world ends.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

oh, i don't read reviews just what people say on Twitter and in chats and stuff. weird that apparently they had a problem with it but most regular people didn't. a lot of people I've seen complain about captain marvel as propaganda thought Maverick was fun

What regular people? On these forums? On sequestered Discords with 37 people?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
people on twitter, some friends irl, other chats. like i said

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i've seen a lot of reviews of Marvel stuff that just is long rants about the fans of these movies, that they're all stupid idiots who are just gobbling up the slops that Disney is dumping in the trough, with no care of the quality or enjoyment that might be gained from these films.

And its weird because they'll slobber all over other hollywood blockbusters for just the virture of not being Marvel. Like Top Gun Mavrick was apparently really good? I know it made a billion dollars, and it was praised, but uh, I heard the plot of the movie is literally a war crime? But ignoring that, its not like Mavrick was some small indie movie that people should see, its a giant huge Tom Cruise movie that's a sequel to THE Tom Cruise movie.

If anything, the reception Maverick got shows that critics don't hate action blockbuster movies. I think Captain Marvel is the better movie, since it's actually about something, but it's hard to deny that a lot of the action in Marvel movies is lackluster and when the scripts aren't as good as something like Captain Marvel, it can feel perfunctory. For all of Cruise's problems, he's at least innovative as an entertainer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

people on twitter, some friends irl, other chats. like i said

At the time I saw a lot of people enjoying Top Gun 2, but acknowledging it was unabashed DoD and MIC propaganda. I do not run into anyone talking about Captain Marvel.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

EDIT: Realised was engaging in behaviour I myself don't like (putting people from twitter on blast) so editing post. Apologies.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 8, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

live with fruit posted:

For all of Cruise's problems, he's at least innovative as an entertainer.

On that note I have to say I'm surprised that reviews I've seen of Top Gun Part Deux don't mention that Cruise & Co. seemingly just said "so, we'll make another Mission: Impossible then?"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lobok posted:

On that note I have to say I'm surprised that reviews I've seen of Top Gun Part Deux don't mention that Cruise & Co. seemingly just said "so, we'll make another Mission: Impossible then?"

It's the formula that works. Cruise and McQuarrie are great at crafting action scenes that push the tension above and beyond.

I was going to say WB should call McQuarrie up and let him make whatever he wants but he did pitch them for Superman and they passed.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 8, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Karloff posted:

To be clear, for me the Marvel relationship with the military is horrible and should be called out and criticised. But there's tweets like this:

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1531741181192855554?t=qeAyLkA68DwDXYeqtr3fxQ&s=19

Which is essentially saying Top Gun gets a pass for him on the military propaganda front because he think it's good. Which is just a dogshit excuse. Either you think that those military relationships are wrong or you don't. Dropping those criticisms because "good filmaking" is hypocrisy and cowardice and makes me think that this writer's prior criticisms of marvel were pseudo moral posturing as opposed to meaningful criticism.

That isn't what he said in that tweet. He said Top Gun is propaganda and everyone knows it unlike marvel films that hide the propaganda. He also said Top Gun while being propaganda is a better film than marvel propaganda.

Just because the "art" is "wrong" doesn't mean you have to dislike it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

No no no, people actually drive Teslas. The time machine would have to be a Pontiac Aztek or a Nissan Cube or something as laughable today as a Delorean was in 85.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
97 Ford Taurus with the frog headlights.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

That isn't what he said in that tweet. He said Top Gun is propaganda and everyone knows it unlike marvel films that hide the propaganda. He also said Top Gun while being propaganda is a better film than marvel propaganda.

Just because the "art" is "wrong" doesn't mean you have to dislike it.

How do Marvel hide it? They made Airforce adverts with Captain Marvel. That's not hiding poo poo.

And I agree that you can like things that are problematic, I certainly do. But the equation that Military propaganda is only wrong if the film is bad* and should be given a pass if it's good is bullshit logic.

*I don't think Captain Marvel is bad, but he does, which is the important distinction

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Splint Chesthair posted:

No no no, people actually drive Teslas. The time machine would have to be a Pontiac Aztek or a Nissan Cube or something as laughable today as a Delorean was in 85.
Except the reason no one drove Deloreans was because they were expensive and underpowered with low production, even though they looked cool. (Doc Brown says it's "in style" for a reason.) Azteks and Qubes were cheap and underpowered, if goofy.

The DMC's $25k price at the time is equal to around $75k in 2018 (The Delorean launched in 1981 and BTTF came out in 1985), but I can't really think of any low-production sports cars around that price range. A Lotus maybe?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A Bttf remake where the Marty goes back to the 90s would be pretty good if they are able to capture the whole "end of history" aspect of it. Also technology and culture are different enough that there would be good fish out of water comedy that can highlight how lovely the Era was for a lot of stuff. Unless you wanted to cut out how common the f and r words were.

Captain Marvel as propaganda always strikes me as funny because the movie a) literally shows the US military as a rear end in a top hat jockocracy and b) the whole story is about how the US bombs people and then calls then terrorists when they fight back. And thar the US uses disproportionate force against these people. And all of it is in the name of security and freedom. It's almost laughable how much the USAF used it for recruiting when the film is saying "all the air force does is bomb people who can't defend themselves from the aircraft".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Karloff posted:

How do Marvel hide it? They made Airforce adverts with Captain Marvel. That's not hiding poo poo.

And I agree that you can like things that are problematic, I certainly do. But the equation that Military propaganda is only wrong if the film is bad* and should be given a pass if it's good is bullshit logic.

*I don't think Captain Marvel is bad, but he does, which is the important distinction

I don't know how marvel hides it. You would have to ask that person you quoted.

Again they did not say Top Gun gets a pass.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

live with fruit posted:

For all of Cruise's problems, he's at least innovative as an entertainer.

He probably has a lot of time to work on that craft since he has literal slaves cleaning his house and doing his gardening and poo poo. Maybe every actor should try it.

I'm just saying slave employer should probably be added to the list of "you do not have to hand it to them" types.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Here's a smattering of failures from the 90s.

I enjoy the Fiat Multipla for just looking bugshit insane, the Vector W8 for being a Batmobile, the Pontiac TransSport for being a Star Trek Shuttle, and the Suzuki X-90 for being... Whatever that was. Sport Utility Coupe?

The real answer would probably be like a Jeep Wrangler. Or a Celica Supra

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Use a Ford bronco

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Again they did not say Top Gun gets a pass.

Yes they do. They specifically cite filmaking quality as the reason why it's "different ".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Karloff posted:

Yes they do. They specifically cite filmaking quality as the reason why it's "different ".

No. He is saying those are the differences between marvel films and top gun.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

theironjef posted:

He probably has a lot of time to work on that craft since he has literal slaves cleaning his house and doing his gardening and poo poo. Maybe every actor should try it.

I'm just saying slave employer should probably be added to the list of "you do not have to hand it to them" types.

You think Brad Pitt's on his knees cleaning the grout in his shower?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

This tweet that says one thing is "just better" than a different thing isn't making a qualitative value judgement! It's just classic being neutrally informative online. Like most tweets!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

live with fruit posted:

You think Brad Pitt's on his knees cleaning the grout in his shower?

Lol let's pretend that's not disingenuous as hell. Brad Pitt pays people. Cruise could also pay people and doesn't. Why doesn't he? Oh right because he thinks he's an important religious figure and it's therefore right that slaves should attend him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

theironjef posted:

Lol let's pretend that's not disingenuous as hell. Brad Pitt pays people. Cruise could also pay people and doesn't. Why doesn't he? Oh right because he thinks he's an important religious figure and it's therefore right that slaves should attend him.

So then Brad Pitt does have the time to learn how to fly a helicopter?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

No. He is saying those are the differences between marvel films and top gun.

I feel like I'm about to fall down the rabbit hole of explaining the basics of language and communication. When someone expresses how two things are different, they are normally doing so in order to explore why that differential is meaningful, what the difference itself states.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

theironjef posted:

This tweet that says one thing is "just better" than a different thing isn't making a qualitative value judgement! It's just classic being neutrally informative online. Like most tweets!

It is making a qualitative judgement.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Bear in mind as well that tweet itself was in response to one of those bubbling film twitter discussions where people were specifically asking "Why does Top Gun get a pass?"