Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

New dryers are dogshit while new dishwashers are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Finally doing something I said I'd do last year, getting my water heater replaced. Manufactured in 2002!!!! The six year warranty is long past! I'll just do a standard 50 gallon natural gas unit.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Is there any reason to get a tankless hot water heater. Ours is old and is now leaking, so I think a replacement is due. We have a nat gas hot water heater. Two people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Is there any reason to get a tankless hot water heater. Ours is old and is now leaking, so I think a replacement is due. We have a nat gas hot water heater. Two people.

If your existing water heater was 100% fine what would you change about it? Does it do what you want it to do? Is it taking up very valuable space that you could otherwise use for something else?

Tankless is definitely a good thing in the right situation, but it's not a default "upgrade" to an existing tanked heater.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Upgrade posted:

I would compare the energy ratings and do an estimate on installed cost vs X years of running costs, generally the tankless will cost more up front, and may or (likely) may not pay for itself over time. The only other factor would be that tankless gives you unlimited hot water essentially. But if it’s just 2 people and you don’t use a ton of hot I would suspect that’s not a big issue.

E: reminds me I need to look into a new WH myself, existing is from 2007 and based on everything else in the house we’ve had to fix I’m sure it has the original anode rod and will fail at the worst possible time if I don’t get to it (our 20 y/o hvac died during the cen tx heat wave right after we came home with our newborn)

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 7, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

If your existing water heater was 100% fine what would you change about it? Does it do what you want it to do? Is it taking up very valuable space that you could otherwise use for something else?

Tankless is definitely a good thing in the right situation, but it's not a default "upgrade" to an existing tanked heater.

Our current heater worked perfectly fine and I would change nothing about it. Our hot water heater is in a disgusting unused basement.

Sounds like a 1:1 replacement to me!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Happy the thread touched on cleaning out dryer vents. Got me off my butt to do my first clean since buying the house 3 years ago.

I, uh, wouldn’t classify it as an immediate fire hazard… but I also wouldn’t want my wife to peek in the shop vac right now.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Democratic Pirate posted:

Happy the thread touched on cleaning out dryer vents. Got me off my butt to do my first clean since buying the house 3 years ago.

I, uh, wouldn’t classify it as an immediate fire hazard… but I also wouldn’t want my wife to peek in the shop vac right now.

I replaced our vent hose shortly after moving in, and, yea, glad that was done ASAP!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Upgrade posted:

I replaced my tanked gas water heater with a tankless because my house is fairly small and the extra space in the broom closet will be useful and because I like to take infinitely long showers. I'm the only person living here and I will say it has cut my gas bill by $30/mo or so, which is a good 50-60% in summer. The downsides are that it doesn't work when the power goes out and it's kind of bulky and ugly outside my house.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Upgrade posted:

We're also 2 people... we tried to downgrade to a 40gal regular water heater, but apparently they aren't common and they just subbed in a 50gal one without telling us. During the summer when it's mainly the water heater using gas, we average about $0.50/day in gas charges. Payback on a tankless unit is probably never for us.

If I subtract the service charge to even have gas, we're talking $0.25/day for the water heater.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Democratic Pirate posted:

So this is on my to do list, but I'm scared to move my dryer because getting the duct hooked up in the first place when I installed it was such a bear. Sorely tempted by one of those magnetic duct boots.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
If you are having dryer problems, have you tried wool balls added to the load? It helps prevent clothes getting stuck behind the dryer fins, which happens with a lot of front loaders

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anza Borrego posted:

If you are having dryer problems, have you tried wool balls added to the load? It helps prevent clothes getting stuck behind the dryer fins, which happens with a lot of front loaders

Even with dryer balls, the new dryers suck.

Are there any dryers that aren’t front loaders?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just got quotes for a tankless and conventional water heater with install recently.

The tankless on demand was twice the price and according to the energy star readings would only save me $150 a year. Comparing the warranties and expected life span there was just no way a tankless could beat the regular water heater price wise at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin posted:

Are there any dryers that aren’t front loaders?

How would this work

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

How would this work

I was asking Anza because it didn’t make any sense to me.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
While we're talking about water heaters I'd like to wish a special place in hell for the folks who thought this was a good design--to replace the anode I have to 1) move the powered vent out of the way (and all that entails to decouple from the PVC) and 2) get my wrench jaws around this stupid nut:

Look at how offset it is! Of course my sockets can't get around it so I finally bought a 1 1/16 wrench just for this purpose:

This will never work, even with a mallet this is the most contact I can get:

This project of doing basic home maintenance on my 2004-era water heater was a fail. I'm going to spec a tankless to replace it just because I have a large family who will eventually take showers and if I get a return-ready one I can hook up the master bath in a few years when I reno that and get some hot water circulation instead of it being one of the longest-wait-for-hot-water places in the house.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Upgrade posted:

New dryers are dogshit while new dishwashers are amazing.

Although my new Bosch (praise be for miracles) doesn't do a great job of drying; all Bosches, AFAIK, don't have a heater but instead let the steam evaporate.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hed posted:

While we're talking about water heaters I'd like to wish a special place in hell for the folks who thought this was a good design--to replace the anode I have to 1) move the powered vent out of the way (and all that entails to decouple from the PVC) and 2) get my wrench jaws around this stupid nut:

I had to do that poo poo on mine, only to find out that the previous owners had gone so long without changing the anode that the entire interior was hosed. :(

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Although my new Bosch (praise be for miracles) doesn't do a great job of drying; all Bosches, AFAIK, don't have a heater but instead let the steam evaporate.

Yea I have the 300 and drying performance is meh, I don't really care though. The only way to get magic drying is stepping up to the 800 which was out of stock. It's just a few drips of water on my stuff, not enough to warp my cabinets even if put away wet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hed posted:

to replace the anode

2004-era water heater

I'm pretty sure an 18-year-old water heater should be disturbed as little as possible until you're ready to replace the whole thing, unless you've got documented regular anode replacements already.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

nwin posted:

I was asking Anza because it didn’t make any sense to me.

It did not make any sense.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hed posted:

Look at how offset it is! Of course my sockets can't get around it so I finally bought a 1 1/16 wrench just for this purpose:

This will never work, even with a mallet this is the most contact I can get:

This project of doing basic home maintenance on my 2004-era water heater was a fail. I'm going to spec a tankless to replace it just because I have a large family who will eventually take showers and if I get a return-ready one I can hook up the master bath in a few years when I reno that and get some hot water circulation instead of it being one of the longest-wait-for-hot-water places in the house.

Unscrew the top cap. There should be sheet-metal screws around the perimeter. You don't have to remove it completely, just enough to center the opening to get a socket on it.

OTOH if it's eighteen years old you'll probably wind up ripping the fitting out of the tank or the anode has so much crap on it that you won't be able to get it out.

It's gone 18-years without failing. Doesn't really owe you anything.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks. There were ten screws around the circumference of the cap, given the weird angles to work with and that it would be difficult to maneuver while also being obviously never done 15 of those 18 years under the previous regime I decided to forget it

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking for a new bathroom vanity. The plumbing there is special, with the supply coming out of the floor, and the waste exiting to the left. I've been looking online a bit, and I can look at the photo and know if I could make it work or not. But are there any sites that have filters that could exclude stuff that doesn't work for me? If I could at least exclude the floating wall mounted and open shelving bottoms that would help.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is why you bring out the cordless drill. You can buy special drill bits for planting bulbs.

Yeah, snowdrops are awesome. Gophers got mine last year. :( :( :(

After letting that bounce around for a couple days I just ordered one. I'm going to plant SO MANY BULBS THIS YEAR. Last fall I did 110 out of two Costco Packs. This year I might do 200.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What sort of contractor do you call when you have a yard drainage issue with the possibility for needing hardscaping? General landscaper, hardscaper...? Or is this venturing in to GC territory?

Our house is on a slope, and it's mostly fine, except for the corner by the front entry has a pretty steep slope. The backyard is somewhat gentle, but they graded the front yard to be mostly flat, so the result is a steep transition... The issue is the rain runoff from the driveway/gutters sweeps down the front walk and tears down the hill, which is eroding the hill away by our foundation, so that's not great.

Not sure if we can address this by adding plants to slow down the water... I suspect that would either cause flooding/pooling or just make it find somewhere else to do damage, so I'm trying to figure out if we need a retaining wall, french drains, or both.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

What sort of contractor do you call when you have a yard drainage issue with the possibility for needing hardscaping? General landscaper, hardscaper...? Or is this venturing in to GC territory?

Our house is on a slope, and it's mostly fine, except for the corner by the front entry has a pretty steep slope. The backyard is somewhat gentle, but they graded the front yard to be mostly flat, so the result is a steep transition... The issue is the rain runoff from the driveway/gutters sweeps down the front walk and tears down the hill, which is eroding the hill away by our foundation, so that's not great.

Not sure if we can address this by adding plants to slow down the water... I suspect that would either cause flooding/pooling or just make it find somewhere else to do damage, so I'm trying to figure out if we need a retaining wall, french drains, or both.

From my research on this (not experience yet) a waterproofing contractor may be a good first stop? They generally do catch-all foundation/pump/drain/runoff work.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm looking for a new bathroom vanity. The plumbing there is special, with the supply coming out of the floor, and the waste exiting to the left. I've been looking online a bit, and I can look at the photo and know if I could make it work or not. But are there any sites that have filters that could exclude stuff that doesn't work for me? If I could at least exclude the floating wall mounted and open shelving bottoms that would help.

I think you want a pretty standard cabinet vanity then. You typically cut holes in the back/bottom/side as needed to fit your plumbing. Nothing off the shelf is going to have a hole in the right place.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

I think you want a pretty standard cabinet vanity then. You typically cut holes in the back/bottom/side as needed to fit your plumbing. Nothing off the shelf is going to have a hole in the right place.

Yeah, I keep having to go through pages of stuff with drawers in the way. Why do so many cabinets have a drawer on the bottom?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Is there a thread recommended shop vac (or brand)?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

MrLogan posted:

Ridgid shop vacs are the gold standard for corded.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MrLogan posted:

Ridgid

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

From my research on this (not experience yet) a waterproofing contractor may be a good first stop? They generally do catch-all foundation/pump/drain/runoff work.

OK cool, didn't know that specialty existed. Good starting point, at least!

MrLogan posted:

Ridgid is the standard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Rigids seem to be the standard as you've heard, but I have a legit ShopVac brand one from when Lowes sold them (maybe they still do?) and it's quite nice. Stainless steel canister and all.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

Rigids seem to be the standard as you've heard, but I have a legit ShopVac brand one from when Lowes sold them (maybe they still do?) and it's quite nice. Stainless steel canister and all.

They went out of business.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Costco has a nice looking stainless steel canister one right now, dewalt I think? not sure of quality though.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Jenkl posted:

They went out of business.

Time to troll ebay for pre-aquisition used inventory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325225594469

classic!

edit: apparently the chinese conglomerate just re-opened the same US factory https://www.inquirer.com/business/shop-vac-vacuum-williamsport-lowes-china-20210919.html

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 8, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Someone put it really well last year.

Look in the back of trade trucks. You'll see rigid vacs. That's a big selling point for me. Plus their parts and accessories are widely available both online and in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have a ridgid vac but it doesn't turn on anymore