Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I get that it's far from being unfounded, but dismissing the XIV aesthetic as 'anime' in a world where we now have videogames that literally look exactly like anime, is more than a little reductionist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
For me the combat in ESO and GW2 never clicks, both feel kind of bad and then you add mmo bloat and it is hard to get into. I did play a good chunk of both of them either way (I even got some veteran ranks in ESO when that was still a thing) but I keep dropping them because of the combat.

I do remember reading they were going to change ESO combat somewhat? Buffs / debuffs lasting longer so you would need to weapon switch less and weaving being less impactful I think? Did this turn out to be a significant change? If so maybe I should try it again, I think those were the main issues.

edit: apparently the ESO combat patch is the 22nd of this month, guess I'll check the ESO thread around that time.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 6, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hra Mormo posted:

I get that it's far from being unfounded, but dismissing the XIV aesthetic as 'anime' in a world where we now have videogames that literally look exactly like anime, is more than a little reductionist.

It’s not that it just looks anime, the plot, character acting style/motions/emotes and sounds are all really anime as well.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I wouldn’t call it reductionist.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
FFXIV is a Final Fantasy game that happens to be an MMO, where FFXI is an MMO that's sort of Final Fantasy-ish.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Hra Mormo posted:

It is anime in both aesthetics and storytelling tropes. I don't get the point arguing there's games more anime than that. Sure, what's your point?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the music as well. especially the music.

as mentioned, this is not a bad thing. but it is accurate.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Itzena posted:

FFXIV is a Final Fantasy game that happens to be an MMO, where FFXI is an MMO that's sort of Final Fantasy-ish.

It does more strongly follow the FF Tactics job concept than XIV though.

And I'm gonna disagree on the other point too. It's more like a MUD that happens to have a 3D renderer, down to the auto-attack system.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IIRC, the design process for FFXI was, quite literally, sending the team over to NA to bootcamp for a couple of months playing Everquest - itself already heavily derivative of MUDs - and taking as many notes as they could.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
final fantasy 14 is very anime, it’s true

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Ranzear posted:

It does more strongly follow the FF Tactics job concept than XIV though.

And I'm gonna disagree on the other point too. It's more like a MUD that happens to have a 3D renderer, down to the auto-attack system.

That's a great point about it being more of a MUD, which I think is why I love it so much. I *really* enjoy the slower pace of combat and the game in general, I think it's good that I can play without giving 100% of my attention. I can watch a show or even play another game like pokemon while I play FFXI. And of course it's easier to chat and converse, which was half the entire point of the game since you used to not be any solo content. First online game with a translator built in? I also think FFXI might have been the first MMO to use cutscenes (liberally anyway). I don't remember the FFXI story off the top of my head, but I do remember Chains of Promathia being widely touted as a great story.

Also FF14 directly copied the homework of FF11, so I find it funny to suggest one is more 'FF' than the other. 14 doesn't even have jobs anymore really, right? But it's basically become the Final Fantasy multiverse.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Brass posted:

Also FF14 directly copied the homework of FF11, so I find it funny to suggest one is more 'FF' than the other. 14 doesn't even have jobs anymore really, right? But it's basically become the Final Fantasy multiverse.

All it has is Jobs (White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner, Paladin, etc.) It was Classes that got phased out (Gladiator, Rogue, Thaumaturge, etc.,) but the existing ones didn't get removed.

FF11 is nothing like FF14 at all other than the basic FF trappings.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FFXIV 1.0 was more-or-less a retread of FFXI, which is the big reason it flopped so hard. Part of 2.0's initial development process was doing the same kind of bootcamping that had been done for FFXI, but with WoW as the new market standard. The only real DNA FFXIV retains from FFXI are references and the occasional attempts to reconnect with past modes of MMO gameplay like with Eureka, which were a set of special zones based around gaining EXP for Eureka-specific levels in groups via grinding monster camps, dangerous overworld exploration, and quests with vague direction that occasionally required community help to complete.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

XI has a lot more differences and flavor between jobs. In XIV a tank is a tank and a dps is a dps and it's strictly enforced by the content, and even at the top end there's no real gating of magical vs physical or slash/blunt/pierce and definitely none of that tied to being on x or y job, all mostly because of roulette pickup stuff. XI plays with this at times and will straight up halve or absorb your damage in some instances.

XI is a lot more buff dependent too, more than just having buffs but stacking the right buffs. My DRK with mild buffs would outdamage my DRG, but with max proper buffs my DRG will just wipe the floor with just about anything not wearing vastly superior gear (Shining One is plain stupid busted on its own). Support jobs (BRD, COR, GEO) really are force multipliers and that's what I meant about playing more like classic FF than being a bunch of people who just pop their skills and faceroll a rotation and barely interact with each other.

Brass posted:

That's a great point about it being more of a MUD, which I think is why I love it so much.

I thought that up as a joke in the moment but it sure does make sense huh?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

kedo posted:

It’s not that it just looks anime, the plot, character acting style/motions/emotes and sounds are all really anime as well.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I wouldn’t call it reductionist.

Honestly most of the things you describe is something I'd be more inclined to call Japanese acting/performance tropes rather than exclusively anime tropes. Like you can go watch old Kurosawa movies and see the same DNA on top of enjoying some really great cinema while you're at it.

That's not to say there are no anime tropes at all because there absolutely are and they're very frequent, but as a guy who specifically bounces off things for being too anime, I always get some Spock eyebrows when people say FF14, as a whole, is too anime to play. Like I can't enjoy Samurai for example because they just went full anime with it, but that's one job and I don't need every single thing in the game to be specifically catered to me, it's a huge game.

To me it's just like the people who won't play WoW specifically because it's a furry game rather than it's other myriad problems.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

yall are forgetting the most important thing ffxiv retained from its ffxi roots

low level battle subligars

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I actually prefer FFXI story over XIV too. CoP was rad, rhapsodies was rad, even the nation missions are cool. Wotg sucks though. Bonus is I can fastcs/spacebar through it to get the gist of the story without skipping it, which I end up stopping a few missions in because I end up caring about characters more than I thought I would.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like FFXI but there is a ton about it that I really wish was more modern. It doesn't need to be FFXIV levels of modern of course, but there are things about like the controls, and combat balance that is very frustrating. Especially for melee and how often your characters miss attacks. It's too slow.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i gave it another go during the anniversary event and there's some good things about it, like you can take a bunch of on-demand quests that have objectives you're already doing for nice rewards which is cool, but also i got stuck for several hours of several days trying to get all the key item drops for a town quest that drop at a very low rate from the enemies in an early dungeon

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
COP's story sucked just as much as WOTG's but didn't have the abysmal mission design of the latter

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My biggest gripe with XI when I was trying it out during the pre-Shadowbringers/Endwalker lulls was that the story quests can be started out of order and have invisible triggers so it can be really hard to tell which storyline is which on a new account.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Itzena posted:

I feel like you got this backwards. XI jobs, mechanically, are much more similar to their counterparts in prior Final Fantasy games. Items are also actually useful and used in battle beyond food or stat pots. Really, the battle system doesn't feel too far off of XII. The XIV battle system just feels like any other tab-target MMO at the end of the day. Not necessarily a problem, but there's not much Final Fantasy DNA in it beyond some of the spell and ability names.

XI basically feels like one of the earlier less narrative focused Final Fantasy games slowed down to a snails pace and ramped up in difficulty.

I guess where later expansions of XIV would feel more like Final Fantasy is in the way the story is structured, much more of an A to B to C type journey than XI ever was.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Carmant posted:

there's not much Final Fantasy DNA in it beyond some of the spell and ability names.

…and basically every location, character, and plot device in the game?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And the jobs, aesthetics, even the gameplay is meant to invoke memories of those menu-based combat systems. Compare FFXI to EverQuest’s old UI and it’s like they tried to force a JRPG combat system into an MMO to improve the gameplay

Compared to EQ’s UI FFXI was a lot sleeker

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Every previous FF game is referenced in XIV and they'll probably work in some long-standing FFXV reference eventually. Plus the whole story is structured kinda like a single-player RPG where you really are the most important figure there (ignore all the other Warriors of Light milling about in the hub areas, they're not you, this is your journey dammit.)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Every previous FF game is referenced in XIV and they'll probably work in some long-standing FFXV reference eventually. Plus the whole story is structured kinda like a single-player RPG where you really are the most important figure there (ignore all the other Warriors of Light milling about in the hub areas, they're not you, this is your journey dammit.)

there was an entire crossover event with FFXV complete with the chance to get the regalia as a 4-person mount

like you find noctis in one of the starter zones and hes just like "wow we sure ended up in a crazy place hahaha you got a cid around or anything"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Maxwell Lord posted:

Now I really want to roleplay someone with literal main character syndrome that firmly believes that the entire plot happened to him and only him, and everyone else is just pretending to be him. It'll be great, everyone will hate me.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Edit: wrong thread. Sorry

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 8, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is World of Warcraft still a really bad MMO?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Is World of Warcraft still a really bad MMO?

Blizzard is still a really bad company but:

Retail WoW is a really bad MMO

WoW Classic is a pretty good MMO about to become a great MMO on 9/26

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I can smell on the winds that everyone in this sub forum is going to start playing FFXI soon. It’s just a quaking one my bones, but something is a brewing In the very very stupid collective goon consciousness

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I can smell on the winds that everyone in this sub forum is going to start playing FFXI soon. It’s just a quaking one my bones, but something is a brewing In the very very stupid collective goon consciousness

I think what will happen is a bunch of people will attempt to play FFXI, but they will get stuck on the launcher software.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

I think what will happen is a bunch of people will attempt to play FFXI, but they will get stuck on the launcher software.

That’s what I said

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

That’s what I said

The mouse cursor and music will keep people playing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

WoW Classic is a pretty good MMO about to become a great MMO on 9/26

Agreeeeed. I totally skipped BCC but have every intention of playing WOTLK. That was peak WoW.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

That's not nearly as bad as it was at launch right?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can never get on board with WoW Classic because I love the reworked zones from Cata. The actual design and flow of them worked much better, besides just being able to fly.

Like I think there's a sweet spot in both the design and the rules that exists somewhere between Cata and Mists of Pandaria, which is where the simplification started to feel like oversimplification.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

id only play wotlk classic if the dungeon finder was in it. im too casual to look for groups.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

queeb posted:

id only play wotlk classic if the dungeon finder was in it. im too casual to look for groups.

the introduction of the dungeon finder is explicitly the point at which I mark the beginning of wow's decline

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dross posted:

the introduction of the dungeon finder is explicitly the point at which I mark the beginning of wow's decline

i too mained a tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The stuff of nightmares. This tumblr I follow posts PlayOnline poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-5D_fZqMM