Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Half Life 2 works as an amazing cinematic experience and I’ve always felt that most of the gameplay came second to that. It’s not the best or most fun shooter. It’s still an amazing game, but I rarely think of it when I think “FPS Game.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a faithful follow-up to Half-Life in that it is a linear sequence of setpieces, although only some of those are scares.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have an unbelievably strong urge to play (and finally finish) Void Bastards, but I'm not even in the same city as my PC.

Some might think the game is nothing special, but I absolutely love it. I see the critiques of it, for sure, and I don't even necessarily disagree with them, but I still think it's a drat fun time. Haven't even played the DLC yet, either.

I would LOVE to play a sequel someday.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Honestly, the best parts of HL2 are the quiet atmospheric bits between the action set pieces, where everything is eerie and abandoned.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Agree with the Half Life talk, to a point. I've always found the gunplay and, to be frank, the moment-to-moment gameplay in Half Life 1 to be super mediocre. Like its fine for the time, but wasn't exactly anything special

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HL1 and HL2 are both "you had to be there" games to me, amazing at the time but I wouldn't judge a newer gamer for being underwhelmed if they played them for the first time today

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Didn't they excel on worldbuilding and narrative consistency in a way that hadn't been done on that level before? At least that's what made them stand out for me, that and fake AI smarts (1) and physics (2).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they're good

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

drat the new Cyriak wad kicks rear end. Kinda hard to displace going down for me but it's up there. Especially with the secret new game plus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bushmaori posted:

Didn't they excel on worldbuilding and narrative consistency in a way that hadn't been done on that level before? At least that's what made them stand out for me, that and fake AI smarts (1) and physics (2).

HL1's big thing was scripted sequences integrated into the game's reality. It was the first major FPS in which things more complicated than "a door opened" or "an enemy teleported in" happened around you as a seamless part of the experience while you retained full control of your character.

HL1 did have some state-of-the-art physics but it didn't totally outclass its peers in that area the way HL2 did

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.apogeeent.com/devblog/interview-with-darrin-hurd

Interview with one of the people behind the cancelled Duke Nukem platformer Duke Nukem Forever (y'know before Duke Nukem Forever) with some screenshots I've never seen before.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just finished Doom 3. What a wet fart of a final boss. Lemme just blast the sucker with BFG shots, why would it be fun to kill a cyberdemon by having to kill 15 imps instead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

In Training posted:

Just finished Doom 3. What a wet fart of a final boss. Lemme just blast the sucker with BFG shots, why would it be fun to kill a cyberdemon by having to kill 15 imps instead.

I thought the Resurrection of Evil boss was worse for sure. There's something you have to do to end the fight that I took forever to figure out.

You have to change weapons to the rocket launcher, if you were using other weapons the fight never ends and you just keep shooting him forever.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have an unbelievably strong urge to play (and finally finish) Void Bastards, but I'm not even in the same city as my PC.

Some might think the game is nothing special, but I absolutely love it. I see the critiques of it, for sure, and I don't even necessarily disagree with them, but I still think it's a drat fun time. Haven't even played the DLC yet, either.

I would LOVE to play a sequel someday.

I love Void Bastards so much. There are obviously a lot of ways it could be improved (for instance the difficulty curve could be improved) but I like the smash-and-grab gameplay and the art style.

The only problem is I can't play it anymore. I beat the game without dying once so I don't have the achievement for dying, and I never ever want it. (I also beat the game back when crashing or exiting the game during a mission for any reason still counted as a death!)

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought the Resurrection of Evil boss was worse for sure. There's something you have to do to end the fight that I took forever to figure out.

You have to change weapons to the rocket launcher, if you were using other weapons the fight never ends and you just keep shooting him forever.

This explains why I was never able to beat him back in the day but was able to beat him when I played the BFG edition version of it recently, lmao

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hand of necromancy is 50% off ($6.49). i'm thinkin' about getting it

look at this melty ghost^

and this cool scythe

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Honestly, the best parts of HL2 are the quiet atmospheric bits between the action set pieces, where everything is eerie and abandoned.

Have you played INFRA? It's this for the entire game and it's great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Convex posted:

My brother is playing this right now, it looks soooo good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

haveblue posted:

HL1's big thing was scripted sequences integrated into the game's reality. It was the first major FPS in which things more complicated than "a door opened" or "an enemy teleported in" happened around you as a seamless part of the experience while you retained full control of your character.

HL1 did have some state-of-the-art physics but it didn't totally outclass its peers in that area the way HL2 did

I get what you mean and the HL games were definitely on another level about that, but the Build trinity all were way more interactive than what you're talking about here, they're a solid link between doom and half life.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

hand of necromancy is 50% off ($6.49). i'm thinkin' about getting it
If you find a way to have fun with it, go for it, I found it extremely boring. And I'm saying that as someone who genuinely likes Hexen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BattleMaster posted:

I love Void Bastards so much. There are obviously a lot of ways it could be improved (for instance the difficulty curve could be improved) but I like the smash-and-grab gameplay and the art style.

The only problem is I can't play it anymore. I beat the game without dying once so I don't have the achievement for dying, and I never ever want it. (I also beat the game back when crashing or exiting the game during a mission for any reason still counted as a death!)

I looked up if the VB devs were planning a second one, and they're not :negative:

I feel like it could be perfect.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I rolled out a new Quakestarter release today. I'll refrain from doing a long blurb here, but the two highlights I think are:

* Optional autoupdater. That doesn't do anything per se for this release, but future releases can now get detected/downloaded/installed by Quakestarter if you like. (This covers both Quakestarter's own script files and also the engine files of vkQuake and Ironwail.)

* A new "Latest Greatest" menu for recent releases that are high profile but haven't necessarily had time to accumulate Quaddicted ratings yet. Inaugurated this menu with a few recent things including Coppertone Summer Jam 2.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JLaw posted:

I rolled out a new Quakestarter release today. I'll refrain from doing a long blurb here, but the two highlights I think are:

* Optional autoupdater. That doesn't do anything per se for this release, but future releases can now get detected/downloaded/installed by Quakestarter if you like. (This covers both Quakestarter's own script files and also the engine files of vkQuake and Ironwail.)

* A new "Latest Greatest" menu for recent releases that are high profile but haven't necessarily had time to accumulate Quaddicted ratings yet. Inaugurated this menu with a few recent things including Coppertone Summer Jam 2.

This was fun, I just selected whatever map was 5 then 1 and got eviscerated trying to axefight a fiend in the woods

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

JLaw posted:

Thanks for these. Quakestarter was how I was able to convince a friend to enter the big scary world of early FPS mods.

That said, I haven't booted up Quakespasm in a while. Is there a relatively painless way to use the remaster's updated models now outside of the remaster proper?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

That said, I haven't booted up Quakespasm in a while. Is there a relatively painless way to use the remaster's updated models now outside of the remaster proper?

They're in MD5 format so you'd need to use an engine that supports that format. FTE for sure, and I think if you manage to get a recent-enough build of Quakespasm-Spiked it could also do MD5. Probably not many other engines, if any?

There's also tools/methods for converting MD5 into other formats, and I know I've heard of at least a couple of efforts to convert the remaster's models, but I don't know how that stands currently. You'd probably lose a lot of fidelity by converting them to something like MDL in any case.

e:
Great to hear this kind of stuff:

Convex posted:

This was fun, I just selected whatever map was 5 then 1 and got eviscerated trying to axefight a fiend in the woods

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Thanks for these. Quakestarter was how I was able to convince a friend to enter the big scary world of early FPS mods.

:-)

JLaw fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 9, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My brother is playing this right now, it looks soooo good

It's been a few years, but I remember INFRA being an incredibly long game (not in a bad way) and a pretty perfect level of difficulty and complexity for me, a person who is probably fairly middle-of-the-road when it comes to puzzles. It also has a few moments that can be really surprising or shocking since it is otherwise presents its setting as quite grounded.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's been a few years, but I remember INFRA being an incredibly long game (not in a bad way) and a pretty perfect level of difficulty and complexity for me, a person who is probably fairly middle-of-the-road when it comes to puzzles. It also has a few moments that can be really surprising or shocking since it is otherwise presents its setting as quite grounded.

This looks very cool, definitely putting it on the list of things to play if I ever get a new laptop.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
HL1 Gordon Freeman would kick the poo poo out of HL2 Gordon Freeman. :colbert:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Arivia posted:

it looks like a diorama of the corridor which is neat but not what i'd expect a video game to look like?
It's something you can have the game do when you pause it. When you're actually playing, that DOF isn't there, nor should it be.

On another note, it was brought to my attention that there is one very blatant art change that's actively promoted on store pages that I wanted to touch upon.

So this blue sky here is very clearly wrong, right? The game settings for sky lighting has multiple environments available, and one of them is "Earth", which results in this blue sky you see here. It'd look great for most other games, but Stroggos isn't Earth, so the sky shouldn't be this hue. Fortunately there are a few options to rectify this. If you like the time-of-day changing and want to see the sun rise and set, there's a "Stroggos" atmosphere option that keeps the lighting nice and orange. If you're even more purist, though, there's also the option to just use the original skybox assets verbatim and source lighting from that. That latter option works well enough I suppose, I tend to use the "Stroggos" option myself though.

Also I swear the super shotgun barrels aren't that grody-looking in-game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

Also I swear the super shotgun barrels aren't that grody-looking in-game.

Yeah I've never taken a personal look at it, but the Super Shotgun's barrels in Q2RTX screenshots have always been really distracting to me. That weird chromed look just looks odd, and not at all like the kind of thing I'd expect to see on a nasty in-your-face Space Marine boomstick. It reminds me more of a custom muffler than a gun.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Many of my core gaming memories come from Quake 2, and I’m a proponent of the RTX release.

I quite enjoyed playing through RTX a few months ago. The game is dated, but the raytracing honestly has some “woah” moments that make the game feel new, but similar to what it felt like installing a voodoo2 back in the day and trying hardware rendering the first time.

I know we are all purists in this thread, but a Q2 remastered with some extra love on RTX mode + some life back into the multiplayer scene would be amazing.

Getting to play DM on the edge with a bunch of born again newbs would be incredible. If mods were able to get some traction and I could play a few games of Rocket Arena 2 I feel like I could die happy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love Quake 2, always get nostalgic when ol' Q2 is in the mix. And the coolest soundtrack ever! No disrespect to Trent, but that just rocks out hard.

I haven't posted as much in a bit, but I notice I'm still #30 on that top 30 posters in the thread thingy! So I'll probably be sliding off there, but this is a tribute to the good times, the FPS times, and I'm honored to have been on there. It's even better than like being #30 for Burger Time scores.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I started playing the PS1 port of Quake 2 emulated on my series x. It’s actually pretty cool!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Convex posted:

I have and it's wonderful :)

Vakal
May 11, 2008

meta² posted:

Many of my core gaming memories come from Quake 2, and I’m a proponent of the RTX release.

I quite enjoyed playing through RTX a few months ago. The game is dated, but the raytracing honestly has some “woah” moments that make the game feel new, but similar to what it felt like installing a voodoo2 back in the day and trying hardware rendering the first time.

I know we are all purists in this thread, but a Q2 remastered with some extra love on RTX mode + some life back into the multiplayer scene would be amazing.

Getting to play DM on the edge with a bunch of born again newbs would be incredible. If mods were able to get some traction and I could play a few games of Rocket Arena 2 I feel like I could die happy.

Same. My first time playing a game online was Quake 2 on dial-up using the Heat.net match making service.

So many rounds of DM on the Jail 2 map.

And the Gloom mod.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vakal posted:

Same. My first time playing a game online was Quake 2 on dial-up using the Heat.net match making service.

So many rounds of DM on the Jail 2 map.

And the Gloom mod.

We probably played together at some point. I had cable internet but otherwise big :same:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

We probably played together at some point. I had cable internet but otherwise big :same:

Ever get called a LPB? Low Ping Bastard

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also, Heat.Net had some of the most insane magazine ads.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Probably, that sounds familiar. I remember a couple times people tried to get me to join a clan, and eventually I joined one called doomsday because I had a few internet friends in that one anyway. I think it was generally considered a not-serious clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Net FighterTM, the only fighting game on the internet!!