Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

titties posted:

Do any of you use d2armorpicker?

I see it recommended for figuring out my Candescent armor + exotic combos but I'm wary of sharing my psn credentials

You won’t actually be “sharing” your credentials it just uses you logging in to the Sony system as verification to allow you access to your bungo db entires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You might want to time how long it actually takes you, because the load times alone involved in your plan are way over 60 seconds.

Obviously a lot of the game is obviously pure workarounds on top of workarounds duct taped together over a game engine not fit for purpose - so it's probably both true that the game could be a lot better design-wise with loot management but it's also probably impossible to implement in the game's engine. Probably!

But also this is a pure MMO where once you're through the storyline, the entire thing is about crossing tasks off lists and bouncing between gameplay and managing your character. Not only is that core to the game's design, but to respond to your other posts, a lot of people do enjoy that kind of thing. Organising items and inventories and turning in materials to make bars fill up and whatever else.

Yes, the way the game handles some of this could always be optimised better, but if that side of things feels like a drag to you - which is a completely fair response to a game like this - you're honestly better off putting it down after you've seen credits and playing other games until the next expansion. A lot of your gripes are around the MMO turbonerd side of things.

Oh and also playing on a PC with an SSD and load times are like 5 seconds at the most.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

There's no goddamn way inventory management takes 60 seconds unless you have horrible drop luck (No god rolls ever) or you're just doing random stuff with your loot(You don't actually know what you're doing). There is no defense for it. The max I have of a weapon is 3 and even those i'm trying to trim down and it's still not enough. I've sat down for a long time multiple times trying to get it down. I have no idea how anybody has their under 450 unless you don't keep poo poo and never experiment. I need to see your vault or something to understand how it can be done.

This could just be me being bitter at the game. I quit back in June or so cuz the monotonous grind of this season, not having time for raids or time to play period, and knowing more and more of the game will be taken out every year for "reasons". If I knew everything was always for me to come back to it wouldn't be so bad. But that stuff compounded with PVP being annoying and the constant babying of my inventory got to me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think Vault Space is a non-issue for some and a big problem for others because there are just so many ways to engage with this game. One of my best buddies simply does not care about any new pulse rifle added to the game, because he "already has a pulse rifle" and literally deletes all others. Adept Messenger? Horror's Least? No. Deleted. He already has a pulse rifle and does not need a second one, since you can't shoot two guns at the same time. He requires 1x inventory space for Pulse Rifles.

Some people think, well you gotta have one of each element, for match game, and they only need 5 pulses total

Some people like to have one of each archetype, so that's 5

But if you want one of each archetype AND of each element? 25

And if you like to have a PvE roll and a PvP roll? 50

You use different rolls for Trials, Control, Gambit and Grandmasters? That's 200

But also lol that we even care about rolls and stats and archetypes and poo poo when this is the state of Destiny in 2022
https://i.imgur.com/DpQkjOa.gifv

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But also lol that we even care about rolls and stats and archetypes and poo poo when this is the state of Destiny in 2022
https://i.imgur.com/DpQkjOa.gifv

Luckily they aren’t tightening the MM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Double sidearms get what they deserve

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Double sidearms get what they deserve

love and praise

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
Hoarders did exactly what everyone said they would do with the extra 100 slots. Fill them up immediately with useless poo poo they don't need.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Turra posted:

Hoarders did exactly what everyone said they would do with the extra 100 slots. Fill them up immediately with useless poo poo they don't need.

I’m the weird hoarder that just needed the extra 100 slots to account for exotic armor with good stat rolls, had a nice comfy 40 or so slots open all season, compared to last season where it was constant <10 and tough decisions all the time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
As a new player my vault is full of exotics that I'm not currently using on my person and weapons with the best rolls (for PvE) that I can get for them. Ideally I eventually have the main damage types for each archetype so I can swap them for doing things involving champions. That's all I'm doing, I don't need every 720 rpm assault rifle if I don't like 720rpm assault rifles. Which as it turns out, I don't! I thought I did but no, I only like SMGs with extremely high RPM. I like my ARs to have more meat on them, as I discovered with my decent-but-not-great Herod-C.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

currently my 100 extra slots are full of redbar weapons that i have yet to pull the elements out of. if we could just scrap redbars and get the elements out of them with zero time investment or if there was a way higher element cap my vault would be at like 300, maybe 400 items.

but alas, i must keep a bunch of poo poo floating around so i can craft guns i care about, and so my vault suffers

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

I have like 300 slots open in my vault. I basically only play my warlock because I can't be bothered to do everything 2 more times. I also really only like bows as far as primaries go and I usually run ticcu or lemon arch so I don't really care about any other energy weapon. I don't pvp unless I have to so I don't keep weapons specifically for those modes. I keep decently rolled exotic armors and a handful of well rolled weapons in case I need to run some hero nightfalls or a lost sector to unlock a new exotic because its very unlikely that I won't need to deal with any champions on my own.

Inventory management for me is mostly fine...except for all the pointless blue crap that every other pve mob seems to drop.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Turra posted:

What is the correct number of slots?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1000? 10,000? ...i never understood the arbitrary limit for a game that has you do nothing but collect guns and armor.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
if I can't select a 3x100 roll on d2armorpicker is that cause I can't achieve it with current armor? :saddowns:

I can hit 100 resil/100 disc with Rain of Fire equipped, but recovery tanks to 43. It's not really an issue with healing grenades but I'm having a hard time trying to get 3x100s

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ex post facho posted:

if I can't select a 3x100 roll on d2armorpicker is that cause I can't achieve it with current armor? :saddowns:

I can hit 100 resil/100 disc with Rain of Fire equipped, but recovery tanks to 43. It's not really an issue with healing grenades but I'm having a hard time trying to get 3x100s

Make sure to check the "Powerful Friends", "Radiant Light", and various Solar/Stasis/Void Fragments for stat bonuses. That's the key to most triple and ALL quad 100 builds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Majere posted:

1000? 10,000? ...i never understood the arbitrary limit for a game that has you do nothing but collect guns and armor.

It's not feasible (storage, UI, etc) to let you keep every gun that has ever dropped, you have to draw the line somewhere. There's always going to be a gun that's not worth keeping, either because it has a roll that's objectively worse than something you already have or because you just don't like the feel

Keeping stuff with bad rolls because theoretically in the future a balance change might make them good is a bridge too far IMO. Has that ever actually happened?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ the problem with 'a better roll than you have' is that they change the meta - I remember going in one expansion from 'handling is the single most important stat for PvP' to 'Handling is a joke stat the devs put in to trick players' when it became too good (or maybe it was the other way round). Similarly when Intellect was THE stat, and now the common consensus is that it's absolutely meaningless.

Kith posted:

currently my 100 extra slots are full of redbar weapons that i have yet to pull the elements out of. if we could just scrap redbars and get the elements out of them with zero time investment or if there was a way higher element cap my vault would be at like 300, maybe 400 items.
I maxed my elements at the start of this season and have burned through them all levelling austringer, the new glaive and the rocket launcher.

Usually if I need to drain some red boxes I put on a podcast, pull as many deepsight weapons out of my vault as I can carry, and hit up my old friend shuro chi. I am in no way saying this is a good thing but it does make it slightly more bearable on the day you do get round to doing it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 8, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ex post facho posted:

scroll down to this section and turn on whatever you're using

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Everyone who didn’t keep good 180 hand cannons and scouts is probably big mad now

You gotta keep at least one acceptable pvp roll of every archetype, and then for PvE you need decent enough coverage for various top/bottom primary loadout and elements

Controversial take: They need to go back to guns having alls element available and stop with this kinetic / energy bullshit, would cut down on the vault problems massively

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I maxed my elements at the start of this season and have burned through them all levelling austringer, the new glaive and the rocket launcher.

Usually if I need to drain some red boxes I put on a podcast, pull as many deepsight weapons out of my vault as I can carry, and hit up my old friend shuro chi. I am in no way saying this is a good thing but it does make it slightly more bearable on the day you do get round to doing it.

i just do playlists and whatever the current seasonal activity is - psi ops and containment and stuff, occasionally dipping into dares to rapidly level a heavy weapon. that way i got possibly relevant drops and a decent chance of picking up another redbar of a seasonal weapon that i didn't have the pattern for. plus i was already going to do playlists for the weekly pinnacle + XP and the 8 bounties for some b'dust, might as well knock out multiple goals at once imo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

haveblue posted:

Has that ever actually happened?

Every season, typically multiple times. Archetypes and perks are changed all the time

That said, it's more than possible to run out of vault space even if you're just holding things that are good, currently

It all depends on if you play more than 1 character, do more than Just PvP, etc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

Keeping stuff with bad rolls because theoretically in the future a balance change might make them good is a bridge too far IMO. Has that ever actually happened?

100 resilience in pve suddenly became desirable for warlocks and hunters overnight. trying to preemptively prepare for every possible balance swing they may or may not do is definitely too much work though, I agree

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Lots of things bloat vault space when you have a bunch of rolls of a gun that are okay, but none are quite what you're looking for and you're not sure which ones are "better", or you have exotics where the rolls are mediocre but at least better than the collections version and, again, it's not clear which ones are better.

At least you can swap armor elements for just an upgrade doodad now so you don't have to keep three versions of an exotic.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

haveblue posted:

Ask all the high res armor rolls i sharded last season :negative:

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I shard everything and just adapt to the new meta with focused umbral engrams. Nbd

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm insane and vault everything every season, starting from scratch each time
So I have masterworked seasonal gear from the last few seasons plus a bunch of guns with great rolls unique to each period
I guess it's the Diablo player in me

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I hope Xivu comes back in style on the Dreadnaught.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I do wish destiny had a Monster Hunter type system where I could save my loadout, including mod placement, and be able to switch between stuff on the fly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Raspberry Bang posted:

I do wish destiny had a Monster Hunter type system where I could save my loadout, including mod placement, and be able to switch between stuff on the fly.

You can! But like most Destiny functionality, it has been outsourced to the community

https://app.destinyitemmanager.com/

I think having DIM on a monitor next to the game is about as crucial as having a keyboard and mouse to play it on

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Majere posted:

I hope Xivu comes back in style on the Dreadnaught.
I sure wouldn't mind if the Dreadnaught were to return as a new patrol area.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Destiny is a game where a gun like this can go from “man kinda interesting if they buff some stuff” to “hey they buffed stuff so it slaps!!!” and crafting will help a ton in this regard but not every gun is crafted so….

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My current opinion is that crafting is an active detriment to the game

Many craftable guns are incredibly GOOD, but the system is totally incompatible with fun. It narrows down your Loadout options even more than Champions and Match Game do, and it won't be the deterministic path to your Godroll that it was meant to be until they fundamentally rework the system. Not just tweaking big number to small number.

In my perfect world, they would stop adding craftable weapons and just give you more options for targeting and getting bonus perks

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
If they'd let you unlock multiple perks on a gun, which I think literally everyone was expecting, like 80% of the problems with crafting would be solved immediately. Another 10% would be solved by not requiring five loving red frames for each of the what, eleven craftable guns this season?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

totally incompatible with fun

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Destiny 2: totally incompatible with fun

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Imho big mistake they made with crafting was enhanced perks and removing them probably fixes both the Gogo issues and the cav issues

But I’m not sure how crafting isn’t a deterministic god roll system, lost me there. I have the roll I want on every crafted gun. The problem is if I want to change one to fool around, well….

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
A Bungie employee posted some work on finisher animations they did on their ArtStation account but left their character in the new Lightfall subclass. Oops! https://twitter.com/DestinyBulletn/status/1556827710600761345

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Imho big mistake they made with crafting was enhanced perks and removing them probably fixes both the Gogo issues and the cav issues

But I’m not sure how crafting isn’t a deterministic god roll system, lost me there. I have the roll I want on every crafted gun. The problem is if I want to change one to fool around, well….

Step 1 is rng farming for redframes, which is where I DQ it from being Deterministic

You should get each seasonal Pattern from ranking up the dumb HELM vendor and should get each raid pattern from doing, I dunno, triumphs or some dumb poo poo

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think Vault Space is a non-issue for some and a big problem for others because there are just so many ways to engage with this game.

Yeah, and additionally, I think people who are dismissive about "why are you keeping bad guns!!?" kinda take for granted the absolute massive amount of (mostly undocumented) information you have to know to determine whether a gun is good or not.

God bless all of you that got the good model years that can actually remember, on the fly, what the different frames mean on each type of gun. I can't. The adept horrors least I got the other weak is my new favorite gun and I wracked up a couple hundred crucible kills in a few days with it, but I absolutely could not tell you whether it's rapid or adaptive or aggressive or whatever without looking it up. Brain just goes "sorry, no room at the inn" when that information tries to take up residence. Meanwhile, some of you can remember "oh this specific gun is dogshit without arrowhead break or a CB mod" because you just know that the hidden recoil direction stat--that isn't documented anywhere in game-- is bad.

Then you add the frequent balance changes and meta shifts on top of that and yeah, no poo poo people are just chucking guns in the vault hoping they'll be able to figure out if they're any good later. Yeah, you can go look it up on light.gg and see what the popular choices are for each perk slot, but that a)requires you to know about this 3rd party website in the first place and b) can be kind of hit or miss, because knowing that 69% of guardians use steady rounds on x gun doesn't tell you how it interacts with particular barrels, or is it really needs a particular masterwork, etc.

I'm not even really complaining about this, mind you, because the fact that the guns in this game have so much personality despite there being so goddamn many of them is a huge part of the appeal. I'm just saying: spare a thought for those of us who will absolutely never remember what Adagio does on any one specific gun.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the whole "we can't have deterministic loot otherwise what reason do I have to play 50 strikes" is a mentality that needs to stop lol

It's fine if you only need one of a gun, particularly if it takes like 4 hours to make it great. There's like 500 different guns. there's plenty of levers they can use to make people keep playing.