Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Goons Are Gifts)

Ohtori Akio
taco meat is the perfect application for bulk tvp i should formalize a recipe some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

Waffle House posted:

Yo, I loving nailed the Taco Bell beef:

after all these years of searching, the byob spaceship has finally found a civilization with scientific capabilities well beyond our own.

Waffle House

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Tell me your secret I ate 6 Taco Bell tacos today and would like to make them in the comfort of my own home

This recipe uses 1lb ground beef:

https://houseofyumm.com/best-ever-taco-meat/

Brown the beef in your skillet, draining the extra fat by scooting the meat to one side, then pressing it with your wooden spoon and tilt the pan so all the molten fat runs off into the other side. I just use a paper towel but you can use a ladle to scoop, either way. After the grease is mostly gone (leave a little bit for flavor!), stir in the spice and tomato paste blend (I added a little chipotle sauce from one of those cheap cans of chipotle peppers as well, I love that smokey flavor though), and then give it a stir to start coating it. Add like 1/2cup/~100ml of water or beef stock at a time to achieve the desired level of moisture, but be careful because that small amount evaporates and absorbs into the beef pretty quickly. I use 1/2 cup to deglaze and get the meat coated, and then it was looking kinda dry so I added another 1/2 cup after.

I really like the results, it keeps well overnight in the fridge, too; I just had my second helping of tacos dressed with chopped onion, cilantro, avocado slices, fine shredded queso oaxaca, and then a little squeeze of lime to give it more of a "Troca Lonchera" flavor.

Manifisto

mmm I wonder how that would be with one of the fancy new frankenbeefs, your beyonds and impossibles and so on

good I bet

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Manifisto posted:

mmm I wonder how that would be with one of the fancy new frankenbeefs, your beyonds and impossibles and so on

good I bet

I have made good tacos with TVP and normal taco seasonings. I think added some soy sauce or maybe some of the seasonings to the tvp when I rehydrated?

more falafel please

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have made good tacos with TVP and normal taco seasonings. I think added some soy sauce or maybe some of the seasonings to the tvp when I rehydrated?

soy sauce is a great old vegetarian trick for adding umami. ofc theres another thing that's vegan and adds umami: msg

Ohtori Akio

Manifisto posted:

good I bet

if i could suggest a modification, take the browned frankenbeef out after browning, and use the fat (it'll be less than what ground beef makes anyways, add fat if you need to) to brown a bunch of diced onions, then start adding spices and sauces (and maybe some umami like the posters above mentioned)

frankenbeef is still regrettably low-flavor so it can use any help it can get

now that i'm thinking about it, tvp with fake beef bouillon would be a good start for a low-cost version

Flash Gordon Ramsay

Manifisto posted:

good I bet

I make this sometimes. You may need to go a little longer than the recipe calls for to dry out the crumbles, but it makes a really decent taco bell style taco meat.

Vegan Tofu Taco Crumbles

Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins | Servings: Servings: (makes 2 cups)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional for spice)
1 block (350g) extra-firm tofu, drained (no need to press it)
3/4 - 1 1/4 cups salsa

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line with parchment paper or lightly grease a large baking sheet.
Mix the oil, soy sauce, and all the spices in a large bowl. It will make a brown paste-like texture.
Crumble the block of tofu with your fingers into the bowl with the seasoning. Mix the tofu crumbles with the seasoning making sure all of the tofu is evenly coated. Spread the tofu crumbles evenly over the pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, stopping to stir the tofu every now and then. Keep a close eye on it towards the end so that it doesn't burn. You want the tofu to be nice and browned. The smaller crumbles will be darker than the larger crumbles, and that's ok because it will provide a variety of texture.
Remove the tofu crumbles from the oven and add to a pan with the 3/4 cup salsa. You may need more salsa depending on how watery the salsa is and how wet you would like your tofu crumbles to be, add more salsa to taste. Heat through and serve hot on taco shells with desired toppings or in a burrito.

Manifisto

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I make this sometimes. You may need to go a little longer than the recipe calls for to dry out the crumbles, but it makes a really decent taco bell style taco meat.

Vegan Tofu Taco Crumbles

Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins | Servings: Servings: (makes 2 cups)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten-free if preferred)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional for spice)
1 block (350g) extra-firm tofu, drained (no need to press it)
3/4 - 1 1/4 cups salsa

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Line with parchment paper or lightly grease a large baking sheet.
Mix the oil, soy sauce, and all the spices in a large bowl. It will make a brown paste-like texture.
Crumble the block of tofu with your fingers into the bowl with the seasoning. Mix the tofu crumbles with the seasoning making sure all of the tofu is evenly coated. Spread the tofu crumbles evenly over the pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, stopping to stir the tofu every now and then. Keep a close eye on it towards the end so that it doesn't burn. You want the tofu to be nice and browned. The smaller crumbles will be darker than the larger crumbles, and that's ok because it will provide a variety of texture.
Remove the tofu crumbles from the oven and add to a pan with the 3/4 cup salsa. You may need more salsa depending on how watery the salsa is and how wet you would like your tofu crumbles to be, add more salsa to taste. Heat through and serve hot on taco shells with desired toppings or in a burrito.

thanks for this, I will try it!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I usually pride myself on making my own taco meat with onions and peppers and cumin and chili powder and stuff but I got lazy and bought the Taco Bell seasoning packet and that + half a can of tomato sauce blows my usual out of the water

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s the sugar I never knew Taco Bell meat had sugar in it but the sweetness really gives it that authentic t bell taste

Fat Dan

HELLO
Tomato sauce/ketchup is the best way to add sweetness.

Goons Are Gifts

byob sailors, are we stuffed with food already?? i was considering where we shall go next, if anywhere at all, i mean, we can raid the GWS fridge forever but we also got an invitation to cspam the other day and uhm LP also needs our love obviously as its family and stuff you know and also for some god forbidden reason SNU agreed to mod games again while VG is now an admin, so we also have a contractual obgliation to invade games once more, any preferences?? or just stay here a bit longer?

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
I support anything that gets VG posting in the spaceship again

biosterous

Rarity posted:

I support anything that gets [more people] posting in the spaceship again

Flash Gordon Ramsay

Thanks for stoping by. Feel free to come back any time. And for the love of god, cook something.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Goons Are Great posted:

byob sailors, are we stuffed with food already?? i was considering where we shall go next, if anywhere at all, i mean, we can raid the GWS fridge forever but we also got an invitation to cspam the other day and uhm LP also needs our love obviously as its family and stuff you know and also for some god forbidden reason SNU agreed to mod games again while VG is now an admin, so we also have a contractual obgliation to invade games once more, any preferences?? or just stay here a bit longer?

All of those places sound fun maybe in cspam they could tel me if torump is gonna :jail: or not. LP was real fun a few years ago I think someone drew us a real cute game to play and sometimes I play games so we could go there too!!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Before you leave, take some zucchini with you.

Manifisto

Buttchocks posted:

Before you leave, take some zucchini with you.

I will! do you have any zucchini that is not the size of a baseball bat?

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Manifisto posted:

I will! do you have any zucchini that is not the size of a baseball bat?

Just seeds, really...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rarity posted:

I support anything that gets VG posting in the spaceship again

Manifisto

Buttchocks posted:

Just seeds, really...

lol

Moola
I just made myself homemade fluffy pancakes

They were very yummy 😋

Zil

Moola posted:

I just made myself homemade fluffy pancakes

They were very yummy 😋

Have you ever put peanut butter on your pancakes? Or are you a maple syrup purist?

cruft

Zil posted:

Have you ever put peanut butter on your pancakes? Or are you a maple syrup purist?

pomegranite syrup is the pro move for pancakes.

Moola

Zil posted:

I literally put pb on one earlier :sickos:

Zil

cruft posted:

pomegranite syrup is the pro move for pancakes.

Did not know that was a thing. Will have to look more closely at my options next grocery store run.

cruft

Zil posted:

Did not know that was a thing. Will have to look more closely at my options next grocery store run.

I use Sadaf Pomegranate Concentrate, just straight. You don't need much.

I got it at the local "specialty foods from home that you can't get anywhere else" store. You might have luck at middle eastern grocery stores.

Zil

cruft posted:

I use Sadaf Pomegranate Concentrate, just straight. You don't need much.

I got it at the local "specialty foods from home that you can't get anywhere else" store. You might have luck at middle eastern grocery stores.

I bet this would be good on vanilla ice cream as well.

cruft

Zil posted:

I bet this would be good on vanilla ice cream as well.

drat, I'm gonna have to try this.

Moola

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't actually like syrup on my pancakes. fruit butter or actual butter + citrus zest, though...

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i want to see those cakes

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

hot sweet cakes in your area

Moola

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i want to see those cakes

sorry my cakes have already been eaten so you cant see them

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Moola posted:

sorry my cakes have already been eaten so you cant see them

Your cakes were John Cena?!?!

cruft

Rarity posted:

Your cakes were John Cena?!?!

John Cenamon Toast.

Zil

cruft posted:

John Cenamon Toast.

I admit it I lolled

Moola
Pancake update: I left half a (quite large) pancake alone on my bed and returned to find only 25% of the pancake left remaining

Ginger cat is also snoozing on the bed looking pleased with himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Moola posted:

Pancake update: I left half a (quite large) pancake alone on my bed and returned to find only 25% of the pancake left remaining

Ginger cat is also snoozing on the bed looking pleased with himself

Could these be related? ALL BYOB DETECTIVES PLEASE REPORT IN!