Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

A Bttf remake where the Marty goes back to the 90s would be pretty good if they are able to capture the whole "end of history" aspect of it. Also technology and culture are different enough that there would be good fish out of water comedy that can highlight how lovely the Era was for a lot of stuff. Unless you wanted to cut out how common the f and r words were.

Captain Marvel as propaganda always strikes me as funny because the movie a) literally shows the US military as a rear end in a top hat jockocracy and b) the whole story is about how the US bombs people and then calls then terrorists when they fight back. And thar the US uses disproportionate force against these people. And all of it is in the name of security and freedom. It's almost laughable how much the USAF used it for recruiting when the film is saying "all the air force does is bomb people who can't defend themselves from the aircraft".

The basic school of thought is that the military doesn’t actually care if the movie puts them in a bad light. That’s not really how propaganda works. Because they can get as much recruitment from people who watch Top Gun and say “That’s so cool, I want to do that” as they do from people who watch Captain Mavel and say “she’s so cool, I want to be her”. Basically you get as many people who want to be the one good soldier as who want to be one of the soldiers.

But yeah, it is weird when the “yay military is cool” movie gets less criticism on it than the “military is kind of assholes” one. And “because that one’s better” does kind of give it away as not an actual principled stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

live with fruit posted:

So then Brad Pitt does have the time to learn how to fly a helicopter?

You sure you wanna be on the pro slavery side of this argument just so you can pull off a smallish gotcha? You got me, slave labor and paid labor provide the same amount of time savings (sorta I guess. I assume that Pitt has to take time to hire people while slaves just show up at Cruise's house in scientology vans).

theironjef fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 8, 2022

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Heh quote isn't edit.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

theironjef posted:

You sure you wanna be on the slaveowner side of this argument just so you can pull off a smallish gotcha?

You're going nuclear like the unnamed villain in a Tom Cruise propaganda film.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Karloff posted:

I feel like I'm about to fall down the rabbit hole of explaining the basics of language and communication. When someone expresses how two things are different, they are normally doing so in order to explore why that differential is meaningful, what the difference itself states.

It seems like you are trying to find hidden meaning in a simple tweet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thinking about what car they could use for a new BttF reminds me of the same convo for the '16 Ghostbusters car. Like do you use a different car just for the sake of being different even though you want to use it in the exact same way? Does the story even *need* the car or is it too expected as one of the trappings (heh) of the franchise that you can't not have one?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

It seems like you are trying to find hidden meaning in a simple tweet.

You're right. Anyway, got to conclude this discussion, I’m going to call the cops on my friend. He said he "could kill for a pizza" better stop him before someone gets hurt.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Karloff posted:

You're right. Anyway, got to conclude this discussion, I’m going to call the cops on my friend. He said he "could kill for a pizza" better stop him before someone gets hurt.

That is a turn of phrase. I wouldn't call the cops on a friend, but that is your choice.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

That is a turn of phrase.

What is that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nobody wants to read this dumb argument. Stop it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FilthyImp posted:

Here's a smattering of failures from the 90s.

I enjoy the Fiat Multipla for just looking bugshit insane, the Vector W8 for being a Batmobile, the Pontiac TransSport for being a Star Trek Shuttle, and the Suzuki X-90 for being... Whatever that was. Sport Utility Coupe?

The real answer would probably be like a Jeep Wrangler. Or a Celica Supra

The DeLorean was a current-ish car for the original BttF if we're looking for a modern equivalent, but if you're going for a late-90s car that looked ridiculous in a "cool" way? Plymouth Prowler.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dodge Neon

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So I think I'm the last person to finally see Love & Thunder and rather than pick it apart I'll just say that I think Taika Waititi's shtick is starting to wear thin for me. Still preferable to Eternals, Iron Man 3, or Thor: The Dark World, but what a step down from Thor: Ragnarok!

Ok, one thing, a little production note: once your annoying joke pays off, you can stop using it. After the goats crashed into Omnipotence City's citadel, that should have been the last time we heard them braying.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1556752184569516032

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Admiralty Flag posted:

So I think I'm the last person to finally see Love & Thunder and rather than pick it apart I'll just say that I think Taika Waititi's shtick is starting to wear thin for me. Still preferable to Eternals, Iron Man 3, or Thor: The Dark World, but what a step down from Thor: Ragnarok!

You are entitled to your opinion and all, but I think you have the wrong Iron Man movie here.

Davros1 posted:

Dodge Neon
I'll see your Neon and raise you a Viper

There was even a TV show to promote it (it sucked)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I literally don't know anything of his work. Is he like some kind of savant actor who is so godly talented that DC wants to look past all of this? I figure it's mostly just sunk cost, but I can totally see DC execs casting someone after such stuff is revealed.
That photo creeps me out, though. I think it's the lips.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 8, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Surely this will be what makes DC change their mind about the movie.

(they won't)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Codependent Poster posted:

Surely this will be what makes DC change their mind about the movie.

(they won't)

I can’t have anymore Joe Pera but WB will still insist on marketing and releasing a film no one wants about a character no one cares about starring a person who’s assaulted half of Hawaii.

That’s how I know this is the worst timeline. :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

How did he get off the islands?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

On that note I have to say I'm surprised that reviews I've seen of Top Gun Part Deux don't mention that Cruise & Co. seemingly just said "so, we'll make another Mission: Impossible then?"

The innovative thing about Maverick is that you generally had no idea who was going to live or die including the main protagonist. Add that to its amazing action, which due to the fact it was filmed by strapping people into speeding jets, and the nice and laidback vibe (for a movie about a possible suicide run), there's a reason why people are saying its amazing.

Marvel (most of which I really like) has a keeping it safe problem, and an attendant lack of action innovation, due to its assembly line manufacture. It's also innovate on its own due to its various settings, and places it takes its sci-fi/fantasy premises, but credit where credit is due. Maverick was great. And so are some Marvel movies! Both can happen at the same time!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karloff posted:

How do Marvel hide it? They made Airforce adverts with Captain Marvel. That's not hiding poo poo.

And I agree that you can like things that are problematic, I certainly do. But the equation that Military propaganda is only wrong if the film is bad* and should be given a pass if it's good is bullshit logic.

*I don't think Captain Marvel is bad, but he does, which is the important distinction

Is there anyone who complained about military connections regarding Captain Marvel and didn't with Top Gun? Seems kinda like you're inventing an enemy here.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr Hootington posted:

Uh, the Flash can run on water. Duh.

Holy poo poo. I mean, c'mon

quote:

According to a Rolling Stone investigation in June, Miller has been housing a 25-year-old mother and her three children, who are between the ages of one and five, at the actor’s home ranch in Stamford, Vt. The property doubles as an unlicensed cannabis farm and has several firearms on the premises, according to the report. One source who spoke to Rolling Stone alleged that the one-year-old child was found with a loose bullet in their mouth. It’s unclear whether the Stamford properties are one and the same.

I mean, I know a loose bullet isn't dangerous as one in a gun, but are you just leaving loose ammunition around for crawling infants to just pop in their stupid mouths and choke on?

I mean I guess it would be interesting to have a child die from a bullet that wasn't actually fired from a gun. What a nice change of pace. Maybe we don't have a gun problem in this country. We have a bullet problem. Those are the dangerous parts. Guns don't kill people.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

They're rich. Small airfield, chartered or personally owned private jet.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 9, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
From the rumours I have heard it sounded like there was a lot of tie ins and possible reboots/storylines to come out of Flash and that is why WB is reluctant to announce any cancellation. It sounds like the have hitched a whole lot of wagons to this film.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Madkal posted:

From the rumours I have heard it sounded like there was a lot of tie ins and possible reboots/storylines to come out of Flash and that is why WB is reluctant to announce any cancellation. It sounds like the have hitched a whole lot of wagons to this film.

Most of them are already unhitched. Keaton's Batman was in the canceled Batgirl and was going to be in Aquaman 2 but has apparently been recast with Affleck again.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Is there anyone who complained about military connections regarding Captain Marvel and didn't with Top Gun? Seems kinda like you're inventing an enemy here.

Yes, there was a bit of that, but truthfully I got needlessly wound up about silly film twitter dramatics which was foolish of me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's funny that Ezra got into more trouble right after Kevin Smith was interviewed about that and Batgirl. https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1556668374423408640

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

Well they also spent like $200 million on it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It's funny that Ezra got into more trouble right after Kevin Smith was interviewed about that and Batgirl. https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1556668374423408640

Both of the movies should be released

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Mr Hootington posted:

Spaedoforce

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

He also talked about the DC project he was working on for HBO Max that got canned, which was interesting because I don't think it had been reported as a thing that was in the works.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Why would I care for Kevin Smiths take on that? Was he involved with any of that? That's not exactly a unique opinion either.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kevin Smith also had a project in the works with WB/DC that got canned. Some Strange Adventures cartoon or something, I think.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Well they also spent like $200 million on it.

Part of me wonders if they've had the "Canceled celebrities actually tend to draw chud crowds" conversation at a meeting yet. And if they've considered that even if that's true for like Gina Carano or Dave Chappelle, it's less likely to be true for an actor that uses they/them pronouns and is like still actively running around attacking people and being inappropriate around kids.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why would I care for Kevin Smiths take on that? Was he involved with any of that? That's not exactly a unique opinion either.

Who said you have to care? I just thought it was funny that this came out the same day Ezra did even more crimes and that Kevin Smith did share the same opinion as a lot of other people.

"It sucks Batgirl got canned while Flash is still getting released while Ezra Miller is doing crimes" and then two hours later "Ezra Miller does more crime".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Who said you have to care? I just thought it was funny that this came out the same day Ezra did even more crimes and that Kevin Smith did share the same opinion as a lot of other people.

"It sucks Batgirl got canned while Flash is still getting released while Ezra Miller is doing crimes" and then two hours later "Ezra Miller does more crime".

Well to be fair Ezra Miller does a lot of crime. So it's not that coincidental.

Mr Hootington posted:

theironjef posted:

He's rich. Small airfield, chartered or personally owned private jet.

Ezra may be a crime machine but that's no excuse for people in this thread to keep misgendering them. We've had this discussion before guys.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 8, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was almost a month Ezra went without committing crimes! That we know of.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

X-O posted:

Well to be fair Ezra Miller does a lot of crime. So it's not that coincidental.

Ezra may be a crime machine but that's no excuse for people in this thread to keep misgendering them. We've had this discussion before guys.

Aw poo poo, that's on me. Literally just got it right in a different thread. Written slip, I apologize.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
uuhh isn't this they/them the one who was grooming minors? how does they/them keep getting a pass for this?

usually grooming is grounds for instant cancellation but not here. weird

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Orc Priest posted:

uuhh isn't this they/them the one who was grooming minors? how does they/them keep getting a pass for this?

usually grooming is grounds for instant cancellation but not here. weird

They pretty much are "cancelled" by the general audience for this never-ending insanity. Like anyone who is aware of any of this, if they're not a poo poo, is not at all interested in supporting them at all.

But some people at WB seem to think they HAVE to release this movie and are just hoping they'll be able to do so once everyone's forgotten about all this. Which could be possible I guess, except that the Ezra Miller Crazy Train doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. You wonder how good a look it will be when the star of your movie can't attend the premiere because they're on house arrest or some poo poo.

Edit: I guess the idea here is that they've invested too much into the movie where they can't seem to justify investing even more into it or scrapping it altogether. They need all the Ezra Miller poo poo to calm down so they can put the movie out and at least get something back from it so they can move on to the next steps of their DCEU plans that they're desperate to pull off despite their many, many failures at doing so at any point so far.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 9, 2022