Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So....how many of you would be interested in playing. I can set up games here for those of you interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I would definitely like to play some Pathfinder 2e. I don't particularly know of games in my area, but I also work retail so it is often hard to get a specific time on a specific day off consistently.

Would definitely like a chance to tryout and play some thing I have been curious about. Like the Dragon Ancestry from Mark Seifer working with/on Battlezoo. Or a Thaumaturge or Psychic. It would also be really nice to actually get a chance to playtest the Kineticist once the playtest for it is released on Monday.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

MadScientistWorking posted:

So....how many of you would be interested in playing. I can set up games here for those of you interested.

Sure. Count me in.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

If scheduling permits, I'm in!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Schedule permitting I would be up for a game, and also I am considering GMing Outlaws of Alkenstar to see how I like running pf2e in Foundry, if folks are available maybe Wednesdays from 7-9 p EST.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Im planning on running Play by Post here since someone wanted to ask. Does anyone have any preferences? I think I might want to run the Dark Archives adventures. They are fun and entertaining.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I haven't really looked deep into the adventures in Dark Archives, wouldn't want to spoil them after all. A brief glance suggests Beach of Birchfrost is for a group of four 3rd level characters. Shaking the Helping Hand is for four 5th level characters. A Song of Making and Unmaking is for four 6th level characters. Lady of Harvest for four 7th level characters. The Verdure of Iblydos is for four 8th level characters. Wishes in Krasnoprudny is for four 9th level characters. Tomorrow’s Feast is for four 10th level characters. The Last Dream is for four 12th level characters.

No idea if they have rules for more or less PCs or for different levels.

The only PF2e Adventure I have played any of is the very very beginning of Strength of Thousand, the magic school one.

I would love to playtest the Kineticist once it is released on Monday. Otherwise I wouldn't mind playing a Thaumaturge or Psychic. Wouldn't mind being able to play a Dragon Ancestry either, but that is 3rd party even if it was written by Mark Seifer.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'll go with the standard Hit Things Fighter ;)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I am interested it would depend on day and time of course like normal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Schedule permitting I would be up for a game, and also I am considering GMing Outlaws of Alkenstar to see how I like running pf2e in Foundry, if folks are available maybe Wednesdays from 7-9 p EST.
I am free that time. As someone who wants to experiment with Foundry and 2e.

Im planning on running Play by Post here since someone wanted to ask. Does anyone have any preferences? I think I might want to run the Dark Archives adventures. They are fun and entertaining.

Ahh Play by Post has always been tough for me.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm interested and have a flexible schedule. I was half tempted to offer running something but it has been long enough since I've regularly GM'd that I'm pretty sure I'd not be up to everyone's standard.

I'm currently running Alkenstar on Foundry and also have Abomination Vaults, so if there is interest despite my lack of experience I'd be up for running either.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If this time works for people send me a PM on the forums? Foundry VTT, Discord Voice. I think 4 folks would be ideal.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Not familiar with Foundry, do we need a gamer license, or is it all GM side?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
On the player side you just need a web browser for foundry.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Not familiar with Foundry, do we need a gamer license, or is it all GM side?

Only one person needs a license (the one hosting the game/setting up the server), but it doesn't necessarily need to be the GM. Though in most cases it probably is.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm in if I can play a Shoony Cleric who worships what she's pretty sure is a giant tennis ball in the sky.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Sent my prototype character to The Slack Lagoon... a Dwarf Fighter. (Yes, I am more plain than vanilla ice cream)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Kineticist playtest is here.

Con primary, blasts are kind of like unarmed attacks, at first level they choose between a single element, dual elements, or all the elements, and get bonus Impulse feats dependent on which they chose.

Elemental Blast and all their other abilities that use their element for the most part are Impulses. When they get a class feat they can instead grab an Impulse feat. Like a Fighter they get a variable feat they can pick each day, and then a second one later on.

No Burn. Instead of Gather Power there is Gather Element which is one action that kind of works like drawing a weapon. All Impulses require that you have Gathered Element of the element you are trying to use, some more powerful Impulses have Overpower which expends your Gathered Element.

There is definitely some cool stuff there. Some stuff that I am not so sure on. Surprisingly Fire doesn't really feel like the most damaging element.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I'm surprised to see Kineticist so early in PF2.0, I never saw it as a major class, I thought we'd be seeing Inquisitor before it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TaurusTorus posted:

I'm surprised to see Kineticist so early in PF2.0, I never saw it as a major class, I thought we'd be seeing Inquisitor before it.

You're not the only one. Inquisitors were one of those unique Pathfinder things that no edition of D&D ever did, a way to set the games apart, and yet... Nothing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kvantum posted:

You're not the only one. Inquisitors were one of those unique Pathfinder things that no edition of D&D ever did, a way to set the games apart, and yet... Nothing.

What does an inquisitor do for you that a paladin or martial-oriented cleric doesn't do? Honest question, it's a class that I've never found really has a unique spot.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Kineticist actually seemed to be one of the most requested classes, but early on they said they weren't sure how to pull it off in PF2e. Legendary Games even put out a Kineticist 3 years ago. Inquisitor and Shifter were both also highly sought after classes.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I wonder how much of that has to do with Kineticist being a pretty popular choices in the Owlcat crpgs too.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arivia posted:

What does an inquisitor do for you that a paladin or martial-oriented cleric doesn't do? Honest question, it's a class that I've never found really has a unique spot.

They're a divine skill monkey that feels like it can't really be approximated by a Ranger/Cleric.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

Kineticist actually seemed to be one of the most requested classes, but early on they said they weren't sure how to pull it off in PF2e. Legendary Games even put out a Kineticist 3 years ago. Inquisitor and Shifter were both also highly sought after classes.

who wants Shifter that class was dogshit

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

sugar free jazz posted:

The idea is decent, but the execution? Yeah, it took the Legendary version to make Shifter even worth considering.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'd be up for some foundry games, been playing once a week in foundry for a while so i'm basically an expert (player)

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

sugar free jazz posted:

My favorite thing about being a shifter was being a Shifter/Skinwalker to be a double werewolf

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

TaurusTorus posted:

I have to assume it's partially based on what ideas they have for full books. They probably have some concepts for a new Inquisitor sitting around, they just had more new ideas for elementals than religion. (And honestly, unless I'm missing some interesting lore, the elemental planes in Golarion could use some fleshing out.)

It doesn't help that Dark Archives covers some similar weird-cult ground that you'd expect from a book with Inquisitors in it. It might just be a good idea for thematic variety.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

sugar free jazz posted:

The actual class was terrible. It was also probably the most requested concept before its release. It was just massively disappointing. The concept is still great. The important thing is to be a martial shape shifter that is better at shifting than a druid or at least more flexible. And it really should be at will shifting which the PF1e Shifter was not.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kineticist in the kingmaker video game does like 10 times everyone else's damage so got pretty sky high expectations

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ryuujin posted:

Kineticist playtest is here.

Con primary, blasts are kind of like unarmed attacks, at first level they choose between a single element, dual elements, or all the elements, and get bonus Impulse feats dependent on which they chose.

Elemental Blast and all their other abilities that use their element for the most part are Impulses. When they get a class feat they can instead grab an Impulse feat. Like a Fighter they get a variable feat they can pick each day, and then a second one later on.

No Burn. Instead of Gather Power there is Gather Element which is one action that kind of works like drawing a weapon. All Impulses require that you have Gathered Element of the element you are trying to use, some more powerful Impulses have Overpower which expends your Gathered Element.

There is definitely some cool stuff there. Some stuff that I am not so sure on. Surprisingly Fire doesn't really feel like the most damaging element.

This is promising, but it feels like the class is missing a single target blast option in the impulse feats. I feel like every element is missing something like… single action, overload tag, does damage at cantrip scaling (1dX, scaling +1 die at odd levels) on a spell attack roll (read, con based to hit, no damage buff from ability score). The overload tag basically makes it a de facto 2 action cantrip just like a caster has, but you can split that action across multiple turns which makes it more interesting/flexible than just being a wizard. (Throw on the flourish tag if you think there’s a balance issue with turret kineticists using it 3 times per 2 rounds).

Right now, it feels like there’s minimal reason to invest in Con over Str or Dex (beyond the fact that Con is always great), and the bread and butter blast actions just feel like a really bad martial since the only scaling is standard striking/potency/property runes as a weapon, and there’s none of the action economy tricks actual martials get to mitigate MAP or to make “attack, and then…” turns interesting. The various utility and aoe impulses seem neat enough, but it feels like the class is going to be very underwhelming in between taking those big swings.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

This is promising, but it feels like the class is missing a single target blast option in the impulse feats. I feel like every element is missing something like… single action, overload tag, does damage at cantrip scaling (1dX, scaling +1 die at odd levels) on a spell attack roll (read, con based to hit, no damage buff from ability score). The overload tag basically makes it a de facto 2 action cantrip just like a caster has, but you can split that action across multiple turns which makes it more interesting/flexible than just being a wizard. (Throw on the flourish tag if you think there’s a balance issue with turret kineticists using it 3 times per 2 rounds).

Right now, it feels like there’s minimal reason to invest in Con over Str or Dex (beyond the fact that Con is always great), and the bread and butter blast actions just feel like a really bad martial since the only scaling is standard striking/potency/property runes as a weapon, and there’s none of the action economy tricks actual martials get to mitigate MAP or to make “attack, and then…” turns interesting. The various utility and aoe impulses seem neat enough, but it feels like the class is going to be very underwhelming in between taking those big swings.

It feels a bit weird to have CON as the key stat of the class when it doesn't do anything except usual CON things and class DC. Leaves you in the same place as the Alchemist where you have an effective -1 to your attack rolls for half the game compared to other martials too (and -3 compared to fighter). Give them a CON-based class feature or something.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 9, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
They can single target blast at melee or range with elemental strikes that scale with monk wraps. Not sure why you'd need a second way to do that.

Having to spend a character option for basic functionality would be bad.

Edit: I'm kinda glad they don't have to gather between every single attack like a magus. If you have a spare action you can throw out a strike. Seems like a reasonable option between your cooler stuff.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 9, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

They can single target blast at melee or range with elemental strikes that scale with monk wraps. Not sure why you'd need a second way to do that.

Having to spend a character option for basic functionality would be bad.

The point is that they don’t have the feat support to make those strikes an interesting alternative to any other class that just makes strikes. You’re just strictly worse at doing that in return for “sometimes the enemy is weak to fire”.

They need some sort of “attack and…” action or a two action mechanism to hit harder or mitigate MAP like basically every other class that makes weapon strikes have. An alternative to having this, which is what I posted above, would be to have a more “spell-like” nuke option that restricts strike usage (by way of Overload and the need to regather power and it’s impact on action economy).

Either way, on first read, the class fees underwhelming when it doesn’t get to AoE a large tightly clumped pack of enemies right now.

Another option would be to simply give them a Power Blast feat that rolls two attacks at no MAP, and combines the damage for purposes of clearing resistance. Give it the overload trait and it should be fine.

Tl;dr I don’t particularly care what the solution is, but every martial has its own answer to Power Attack and this class doesn’t and that absence is very keenly felt IMO.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 9, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
E:fb

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

Either way, on first read, the class fees underwhelming when it doesn’t get to AoE a large tightly clumped pack of enemies right now.

The numbers on those seem pretty undertuned atm to the point where I'd expect an electric arc spammer to be comparable or even outdamage the kineticist fairly often

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Andrast posted:

The numbers on those seem pretty undertuned atm to the point where I'd expect an electric arc spammer to be comparable or even outdamage the kineticist fairly often

Yeah. You basically need to saturate your areas of effect to even come close.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Chevy Slyme posted:

The point is that they don’t have the feat support to make those strikes an interesting alternative to any other class that just makes strikes. You’re just strictly worse at doing that in return for “sometimes the enemy is weak to fire”.

They need some sort of “attack and…” action or a two action mechanism to hit harder or mitigate MAP like basically every other class that makes weapon strikes have. An alternative to having this, which is what I posted above, would be to have a more “spell-like” nuke option that restricts strike usage (by way of Overload and the need to regather power and it’s impact on action economy).

Another option would be to simply give them a Power Blast feat that rolls two attacks at no MAP, and combines the damage for purposes of clearing resistance. Give it the overload trait and it should be fine.

Tl;dr I don’t particularly care what the solution is, but every martial has its own answer to Power Attack and this class doesn’t and that absence is very keenly felt IMO.

Dual Element has Fusion Blast that kind of does that Power Blast thing. Two actions you fire your normal Elemental Blast but add the damage of the second Elemental Blast to it. This could allow an Earth+Water to get a xd8+xd8 bludgeoning blast or Air+Water/Earth to get a 120 ft range xd4 slashing/bludgeoning+xd8 bludgeoning blast.

Otherwise there are some action savers but they mostly are for multiple targets.

Blast Barrage at 4th level is a 2 action to make 3 blasts against different targets, though MAP applies as normal.

Chain Blasts at 10 is also 2 actions, you make a strike as usual and if it hits you make another strike within range against another target, and if that hits you continue, again and again until you miss or hit 5 targets. MAP doesn't increase until after all these attacks are made, but would then increase by the normal amount so you aren't hitting anything with that last action afterwards.

At 16th level, a level filled with a lot of good feats, there is Maelstrom Blast which is a 3 action Impulse. A pity I don't think it counts as an Element for Flawless Element at 20th level. For 3 actions you can make a melee attack against every enemy in your melee reach, or you can make a ranged blast against every enemy in a cone with a length equal to the first ranged increment of your ranged elemental blast. 20 feet for Earth, 30 for Water, 60 for Fire and 120 for Air.

Andrast posted:

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah. You basically need to saturate your areas of effect to even come close.

Yeah that was my reaction generally, then I watch some youtubers going through it and reacting and some of them just see it as really powerful. Probably because it is "at will" though I have to wonder how many of them realize that those 2 or 3 action abilities tend to cost an extra action because of Overflow and the need to Gather Element again.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ryuujin posted:

Dual Element has Fusion Blast that kind of does that Power Blast thing. Two actions you fire your normal Elemental Blast but add the damage of the second Elemental Blast to it. This could allow an Earth+Water to get a xd8+xd8 bludgeoning blast or Air+Water/Earth to get a 120 ft range xd4 slashing/bludgeoning+xd8 bludgeoning blast.

Otherwise there are some action savers but they mostly are for multiple targets.

Blast Barrage at 4th level is a 2 action to make 3 blasts against different targets, though MAP applies as normal.

Chain Blasts at 10 is also 2 actions, you make a strike as usual and if it hits you make another strike within range against another target, and if that hits you continue, again and again until you miss or hit 5 targets. MAP doesn't increase until after all these attacks are made, but would then increase by the normal amount so you aren't hitting anything with that last action afterwards.

At 16th level, a level filled with a lot of good feats, there is Maelstrom Blast which is a 3 action Impulse. A pity I don't think it counts as an Element for Flawless Element at 20th level. For 3 actions you can make a melee attack against every enemy in your melee reach, or you can make a ranged blast against every enemy in a cone with a length equal to the first ranged increment of your ranged elemental blast. 20 feet for Earth, 30 for Water, 60 for Fire and 120 for Air.

Yeah that was my reaction generally, then I watch some youtubers going through it and reacting and some of them just see it as really powerful. Probably because it is "at will" though I have to wonder how many of them realize that those 2 or 3 action abilities tend to cost an extra action because of Overflow and the need to Gather Element again.

Barrage and a chain are good, but the aoe redundancy basically means “Grats you get to have a worse Electric Arc, that very rarely, becomes a better electric arc”.

Fusion Blast is really good and is the kind of thing I am talking about, but 10th level is just way too late for it. Make it a 6th level feat and we’re talking.