Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i like the one with the inexplicable but very clean bowl cut

aaugh no i sniped it

here's a pin i bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

cute pin :3:

here's a game, guess who is broody based on expression:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

cute pin :3:

here's a game, guess who is broody based on expression:

LOL, veryone except the hen on the left, I’d guess. Spot the broody in this pic:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Joburg posted:

LOL, veryone except the hen on the left, I’d guess. Spot the broody in this pic:

It's the big black and white one in front, right?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

God the worst part of getting chicks is waiting with baited breath for the ones that don't make it and I still find it real sad to see what was once a happy chick eating and drinking ending up dead by the next night.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg you are correct and also lol at that goat.is it brooding in solidarity?

i candled Navi and Clarice's eggs tonight. we're only 4 days in but so far so good, all but one of Clarice's eggs was developing. it might have belonged to Beans' clutch, and she's a couple days behind, so i slipped it under her just in case. Beans also had a strange egg under her, and it doesn't look like any of the eggs i've been collecting the last week and it's bigger than my biggest banty egg. it's about time for the Australorps to start laying and i think it is one of theirs, yay! hope the rest of the girls join in soon

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 9, 2022

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Beans is stealing those eggs.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
ChaseSP, I hope your chicks are out of the woods now, having chicks die is so heartbreaking!

Goats are jerks so that goat is trying to show the duck who is boss by blocking her in that corner. Of course the duck wants to be there 23-1/2 hours per day so she does not care at all.

I usually let a chicken brood in the goat barn if she wants to but now that I’m thinking about it, if the duck hatched her ducklings there there is no way to move her afterwards without her freaking out and crushing babies. (My Muscovies were raised by a catch-with-a-net kind of guy.) And she can’t stay there with ducklings because the barn is elevated and they couldn’t get back in…. I think we will have to try again to get her to accept a different location. :argh:

Or I can build a heavy duty ramp, maybe.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

lmao i wasn't expecting you to actually change your avatar

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
omg that avatar, lmao.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Foghorn is a very angry floof this week.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

Foghorn is a very angry floof this week.

I did have a broody leghorn this year so be on the lookout for a big white basketball.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

I did have a broody leghorn this year so be on the lookout for a big white basketball.

That thousand yard stare... :catstare:

Got email confirmation today, so we're on for picking up three new ex-batts on Sunday. Can't wait to bring them home.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

your very broody girls inspired my daily doodle

https://twitter.com/meowcifurious/status/1557129206089371649

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I wish I could set this as the thread title

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That's a big angry cockatrice. The floofs summon the dragon

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

angry flat hens are an inspiration to me

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Since the fox attack, we’ve set our run to open much later, but now the chickens are making a lot more noise in the morning.

I think they’re bored, so I got a load of different enrichment things to try to entertain them: they already had a few bits, but I bought various pecker blocks that I could put in the night before and hopefully keep them entertained in the morning.

The problem is, they don’t seem to understand them. I’ve tried whacking them with my finger in front of them until bits fall off, while I make our treat noise. I’ve tried crumbling them up and leaving them in smaller chunks. I’ve even tried covering them in corn, but they just don’t get it.

I think my chickens are too stupid to understand, but just smart enough to get bored. Does anyone know any good enrichment that I could try?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Hi, I was told this is the thread for people who like to have chickens and other birds tearing up their garden?

I take care of (at the moment of writing) 28 chickens, 35 peafowl, 5 geese and 4 ducks, not counting all the chicks.

We keep them freerange on our approx 12ha property, so they have all the space they need, although most of them stay around the main building and the garden.

I love our birds, but damned if they dont give you a hard time if you are trying to grow some veggies or want to have some ripe fruit to pick from the trees...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

what a GORGEOUS guy!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

while I make our treat noise

I uh, sometimes tut like a rooster when I bring treats..

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

I uh, sometimes tut like a rooster when I bring treats..

I do a three tut whistle and my special chickens will come running. I think you have to be consistent once they know it though, my partner will do the same whistle and get no results until she intentionally does it at a lower pitch.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I just go "chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick" for some reason. Usually unnecessary, since they come running as fast as they can waddle any time they think I've got food, or am going to get food.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Imagined posted:

I just go "chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick chick" for some reason. Usually unnecessary, since they come running as fast as they can waddle any time they think I've got food, or am going to get food.

I do the same :):hf::)

It's also unnecessary because they always assume I have food.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Molentik, those are some beautiful birds :love:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

Molentik, those are some beautiful birds :love:
indeed

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Beautiful birds!

I also have many many birds so you are in good company. I chose guineas for my loud poultry instead of peafowl though. And my poultry have killed a lot of my plants including a lime tree this year but they haven’t done half the damage of my lab-border collie mix who has killed 3 blueberry bushes, 2 loquat trees, and innumerable squash plants. And he pooped directly on my thyme. :argh:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I make a clicking sound like the one people make to get horses to come over, or when they wink at someone

They go mental and start weaving between my feet

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I do the clicks, too!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I just walk outside my chickens go nuts. My wife was cleaning the pool the other day and said they were silent for everyone else until I stepped out, at which point they did their hopeful little songs at the near end of the run

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
My wife has told me that the chickens make a special excited noise when they see me walking down the garden. This is probably related to me overfeeding them with treats.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Had our six girls out for supervised yard time today, their first. They immediately stopped at the door of the run to eat greens they couldn't reach through the wire.

They eventually worked their way out to the main yard, where they feasted on the wide variety of greenery, and from time to time trying to nab a flying bug. A couple of them got a couple of big dumb June bugs.

They mostly stayed together, except when they couldn't comprehend the concept of "door is open" and ran back and forth inside the run, literally two feet from the open door.

Fortunately getting them back inside was fairly easy just slow walking with arms wide and they'd go in the right direction and back in. Florette had been away from the group and slightly panicked when everyone else was back in the chicken area,but squeezed through the slats to rejoin.

All in all a good day for chickens. They really loaded up on salad.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

MrUnderbridge posted:

All in all a good day for chickens. They really loaded up on salad.
That's lovely.

Today's the day:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

spookygonk posted:

Today's the day:
:neckbeard: those lucky, lucky birds!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

an egg posted:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

an egg posted:

delighted some lovely new hens will get to experience the good life and the amazing care and love you offer your flock

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:blessed:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Garden Pest Control

One of our peahens with four of her chicks making GBS threads on the front porch of one of our units...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Molentik posted:

Garden Pest Control

One of our peahens with four of her chicks making GBS threads on the front porch of one of our units...

such a lovely place and lovely birds :swoon:

fowl love nothing more than making GBS threads on porches

(actually that's a lie - I think they love making GBS threads in their water even more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

And fowl poo poo is foul!