Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Big Scary Owl posted:

poo poo if I had known I would have marked the spot where I found the nuggets earlier :doh:
I'll look around and see if I can find some clay. The Rust World seems interesting but it doesn't seem like a good time lol. Thank you for the tips!

So it's important to understand that metal isn't like in minecraft, you won't find it just mining around in little chunks, but when you do find it, it will be in massive dome-shaped depsoits. So don't get discourgaed if you don't find a ton of metal right away.

The alternat prospecting pick is a godsend for efficiently finding the metal, but the intended vanilla way is to just find a region (several chunks) where there is a high% chance of metal and then digging exploratory shafts.

You'll have to repeat the process several times to get all the different metals you'll need for copper->bronze->iron->steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's kind of an odd niche to excel at but 7 Days actually has very interesting mining, ores are distributed generously but with a wierd interweave of sandy gravel that provides no support to adjacent blocks. If you could visualize it with x-ray vision it would probably look like sea foam. It is common for different ore deposits to overlap each other and usually you can hit a big deposit right under your base with a little luck and some exploratory digging. At the far end of progression there is a powered digging machine thar makes tons of noise (attracting enemies) and is very fast. I think it's neat :kiddo:

E: talking about this because of the dome shaped ore info, Valheim did that too and I think if you're having players do significant amounts of any activity then it should be at least a little bit visually and mentally stimulating

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 6, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Quick PZ question - what skills are needed to hotwire a car? I can't seem to find (consistent) answers online. I think it's something like 1 mechanics and 2 electronics or vice versa, right? Or is it something in a magazine?

Hopefully I can sort it out soon. I've got everything I need gear-wise atm, even an acoustic guitar to keep boredom at bay later on (hopefully - never saw an ingame instrument until now). I just need to get out of bloody Muldraugh to hide out somewhere quiet!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mech 2, Elec 1 for hotwiring

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm getting a huge moral malus for "too many infestations' but there are no buildings listed as infested in a long way around my base. Do they want me to take out the wandering hordes/screamers/bloaters? Or get rid of the plague heart?

Pack a crossbow for the screamer, firecrackers and molotovs for the normal zombies, go infestation hunting.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mech 2, Elec 1 for hotwiring

Ah cool, thanks! Hopefully there's a tape on mechanics at the Muldraugh Blockbuster

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Finding an early tape of Carzone is an absolute godsend, grinding mechanics is a nightmare

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I picked up Vintage Story last night and joined a NA server called Aura Fury. People have been really kind and helpful. There’s at least several people on and it doesn’t feel too crowded. They also have some newbie friendly global modifiers to reduce food spoilage and such.

I’d recommend giving it a shot if you’re like me and enjoy playing these games mostly alone but enjoy the ability to trade/talk/get tours with others.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Major Isoor posted:

Ah cool, thanks! Hopefully there's a tape on mechanics at the Muldraugh Blockbuster

An easy, if tedious and bit time consuming way of training low level mechanics (0-2) is to grab a screw driver and find cars and just uninstall and reinstall their headlights, taillights, battery, and radio. You get a decent amount of XP for this. However you can only do it once per car and then have to wait 24 hours until you can do it again for more XP. Make sure to read the level 1 book first!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

An easy, if tedious and bit time consuming way of training low level mechanics (0-2) is to grab a screw driver and find cars and just uninstall and reinstall their headlights, taillights, battery, and radio. You get a decent amount of XP for this. However you can only do it once per car and then have to wait 24 hours until you can do it again for more XP. Make sure to read the level 1 book first!

Definitely check for a carzone tape first though cause while this strategy is effective it sucks rear end

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Big Scary Owl posted:

I've started playing Vintage Story as well since you guys kept mentioning it, any tips are appreciated. So far I only have a dirt house, a campfire, torch, an axe, knife, a basket, grass and cattails, what should I focus on next besides food (and what would be the best source of food now?)

edit: wtf is this should I enter it?

Most immediate quality of life boost once you're semi-established in the stone age is oil lamps, which last forever and don't go out if you get wet or whatever. Dig a clay pit as described, hunt a critter to get some fat, combine fat +bowl

Getting enough food day-to-day really shouldn't be an issue until winter, you'll just want to start saving whatever seeds you get from foraging wild plants and (again) fat for sealing crocks. As you get established in an area you can plant the seeds for a reliable convenient food source and start cooking longer-lasting, more nutritionally dense meals, and civilization kinda snowballs from there. I always way overproduce preserved food for winter but running out in early March or something sucks real bad.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 6, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

buglord posted:

I picked up Vintage Story last night and joined a NA server called Aura Fury. People have been really kind and helpful. There’s at least several people on and it doesn’t feel too crowded. They also have some newbie friendly global modifiers to reduce food spoilage and such.

I’d recommend giving it a shot if you’re like me and enjoy playing these games mostly alone but enjoy the ability to trade/talk/get tours with others.

Nice, that's the only server I tried and didn't feel the need to try others since it's such a chill place. It's been a while since I last logged since I think they switched the address at some point, but I still have a fairly developed little base I'm quite fond of, even if I've never advanced to the late-game mechanics such as iron and steel production (helps that there were a few players who were very into advanced automation poo poo and were more than happy to trade their surplus gear and materials for some of the decorative items I chiseled).

As far as important steps to get settled on VS go, once you're done with the basics, getting a greenhouse going that can keep you fed during the winter isn't super hard to do and you can get started on it around the time you start dipping your toes into metalworking. It'll need firebricks, an accesible quartz deposit, a pickaxe and a ton of coal/charcoal. A saw to turn glass blocks into slabs in order to cut down on material will also help. It needs to be in a fully enclosed room with a roof made of glass - I also made mine with glass walls but only the roof is needed iirc. Of course, you can also rely on raising animals (chickens are easy and extremely OP) or long-lasting food (grain will last for ages and it'll last twice as long if you wait until it's almost expired before turning it into flour) to get through the winter, but that'll affect your stats since your max health is determined by how balanced your diet is.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
[Vintage Story] Is there any disadvantage to dying other than losing your stuff and reappearing at spawn? Could I just keep collecting food and instead of eating it, just keep respawning, and save food for winter?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
You can even turn item loss on death off if you want, but other than that, yeah you could just keep dying if you want. I remember in the multiplayer server I mentioned some players kept dying of starvation like clockwork, which prompted other people in the server to be like "dude you okay? you need some food gathering tips?" and they were like "nah I'm just doing a big building project and since I have my respawn set at my base anyway it's far quicker to starve to death rather than spend time on cooking something" which is one way to go at it I guess. One thing that you'll lose from dying is the health bonuses you've gained from maintaining a balanced diet, and if you don't have access to your corpse you'll also lose your extra inventory slots which can be a real bitch to replace if you don't have plenty of resources stacked at your base already.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean at some point if you're having to do that kind of thing you're pretty much rejecting the conceit of the game, which is fine, but maybe just tune your difficulty settings so you collect more food or something instead of that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks Galaga, Quark and Danaru - I'll look for that video! I wasn't aware of the headlight and radio trick either, so that's good to know.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Vintage Story is just not clicking for me unfortunately. It's just not fun to play imo and it feels like you're doing chores all the time. Clay forming and the knapping mechanic is pretty tedious as well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Big Scary Owl posted:

Vintage Story is just not clicking for me unfortunately. It's just not fun to play imo and it feels like you're doing chores all the time. Clay forming and the knapping mechanic is pretty tedious as well.

If you got it from the actual website and think you have at or below 10 hours you can ask for a refund. They also said it’s not necessarily a hard and fast number. https://www.vintagestory.at/refund.html/

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah they’re real good about refunds.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone! I got the :filez: version cause I wanted to try it out first since it's pretty expensive over here (95 BRL).

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Getting into Project Zomboid. First run died instantly. Second run lasted a few days before getting bitten, but I learned a lot. Third run is still going strong. I'm leveling carpentry so I can make a rain barrel.

While exploring I found a house with a garden and the level 7 rain barrel. :eyepop:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Travic posted:

Getting into Project Zomboid. First run died instantly. Second run lasted a few days before getting bitten, but I learned a lot. Third run is still going strong. I'm leveling carpentry so I can make a rain barrel.

While exploring I found a house with a garden and the level 7 rain barrel. :eyepop:

level rain barrels faster by pissing in them and emptying them out repeatedly

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think there's a tape that improves your pissing. It also gives you depression though

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Danaru posted:

I think there's a tape that improves your pissing. It also gives you depression though

If you take piss enthusiast for 10 points you actually get happiness from watching the piss tape.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Yeah, "knapping is tedious" is pretty synonymous with "I will not like vintage story."

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Knapping was briefly novel but even with that having rapidly gotten old I can say I enjoyed the general swing of things for long enough to set up a halfway proper base, greenhouse, toolshed, root cellar, figure out the prospecting, get an anvil and forge and whatnot. I more or less hit my stopping point with the realization of how prohibitively expensive armor is, how it falls apart like 1-ply TP, and how mandatory it is for exploring a cave without getting my neck snapped in a matter of seconds. Then the caves failed to yield basically anything of interest once I could finally explore them. I can't get leather armor or mechanical crafting set up because my world seems to completely lack lime, borax, or resin, which doesn't leave me with much to pursue at this point.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I got scratched and the wound got infected. I kept it bandaged and eventually it healed, but I stayed queasy/sick. I'm guessing zombie infection?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Travic posted:

I got scratched and the wound got infected. I kept it bandaged and eventually it healed, but I stayed queasy/sick. I'm guessing zombie infection?

Likely. It could also be a mundane infection, but the only time I've had a lingering sickness from a scratch was when it rolled the 7% or whatever chance for zombie infection.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Unless you've got a large amount of corpses around you, you're likely picking up a secondary infection that will likely kill you. I've had it happen twice now - you get a pretty good wound and you heal on the Health tab but a few days later you get sick and there isn't anything you can do about it. The weird part is that when you die you aren't a zombie - you're just sick and then you die.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There are actually antibiotics in the game, you can try looting some pharmacies or clinics

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

duffmensch posted:

Unless you've got a large amount of corpses around you, you're likely picking up a secondary infection that will likely kill you. I've had it happen twice now - you get a pretty good wound and you heal on the Health tab but a few days later you get sick and there isn't anything you can do about it. The weird part is that when you die you aren't a zombie - you're just sick and then you die.

I moved all the corpses of zombies that attacked my house. There are quite a few of them. Maybe I didn't move them far enough? How far do I have to take them?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Knapping was briefly novel but even with that having rapidly gotten old I can say I enjoyed the general swing of things for long enough to set up a halfway proper base, greenhouse, toolshed, root cellar, figure out the prospecting, get an anvil and forge and whatnot. I more or less hit my stopping point with the realization of how prohibitively expensive armor is, how it falls apart like 1-ply TP, and how mandatory it is for exploring a cave without getting my neck snapped in a matter of seconds. Then the caves failed to yield basically anything of interest once I could finally explore them. I can't get leather armor or mechanical crafting set up because my world seems to completely lack lime, borax, or resin, which doesn't leave me with much to pursue at this point.

Finding a commodities trader is such a quality of life upgrade that I decided that as long as I fulfill some pre-set (by me) hurdles, I can spawn one of them at my base.

A trader who cycles around selling some amount of bronze alloy materials (tin, bismuth, zinc), salt, and lime just removes some major hassles of the game which I can appreciate being in place for a large multiplayer server. Add a treasure hunter or survival goods trader, and you've basically got a sustainable source of rusted gears to buy what you need.

Vintage Story is cool solo, but imo it's far more built around a 4+ player server with people working on different things. Trader NPCs in my solo play throughs help patch that gap.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sickness from corpses goes away quickly once you're far enough away, so you can just drive away for a little bit and see if the moodlets disappear. If they don't, then you have zombie itch

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

[SoD2] A loading-screen tip said that Juggernauts are fire-resistant. How resistant? Are thermite grenades useful at all?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Zomboid infections: make sure you clean your wounds with bourbon or antiseptic before applying a bandage. Bandages, rags etc. themselves also have an antibiotic effect with disinfected bandages being the best. You can sterilise bandages and rags in a heated cooking pot or saucepan with water in.

Using the above, I've never had a character die to sickness even with the Prone to Illness trait (not sure if it affects infections though). Getting a set of disinfected rags is one of my first priorities with any new character.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 8, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Yeah the sickness didn't go away when I went looting. I eventually died and came back as a zombie so that confirms it.

I'll see if I can find a pharmacy and I'll start sterilizing some bandages. I'm in the north end of Muldraugh.

On a side note I like that when you Google Muldraugh it pulls the Zomboid air map for the main page.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, so does sterilising bandages actually reduce the chances of succumbing to bites?! Interesting... normally I disinfect with alcohol wipes and then whack on a clean bandage, but I might have to start disinfecting then

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, so does sterilising bandages actually reduce the chances of succumbing to bites?! Interesting... normally I disinfect with alcohol wipes and then whack on a clean bandage, but I might have to start disinfecting then

It does not. Bites are 100% zombie infection rate, lacerations are 25%, and scratches are 7%. Nothing you can do changes this. Sterilized bandages *do* lower the odds of mundane wound infections and help you heal faster iirc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tarezax posted:

It does not. Bites are 100% zombie infection rate, lacerations are 25%, and scratches are 7%. Nothing you can do changes this. Sterilized bandages *do* lower the odds of mundane wound infections and help you heal faster iirc.

Huh, interesting! Well that's what I originally thought - I've never actually had a regular infection last long at all, interestingly, so I never bothered doing more than the standard wipe 'n' wrap.
Hmm, do they become more dangerous in winter, perhaps? I've never actually bothered going that long, so I don't have any experience with it in PZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’ve been messing around with Osiris: New Dawn since its latest experimental patch. I still can’t quite recommend it, but it does seem to still be in active development.

It’s another one in the “survive an alien world” sub-genre, but very pretty. I think there’s more than one world but it’s so broken at the moment that I don’t know what it takes to get into space.

Are there other games in this sub genre that are actually good? I quite like the idea of building a safe harbor on a hostile world.