Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

nine-gear crow posted:

We've had the Dark Brandon and Dark Manchin arcs. Now it's time for the Dark Merrick arc!

Over the past few weeks, we've had sudden movement out of nowhere on both Trump and the Breonna Taylor case. Before that, not a single peep from the DOJ. I'm wondering if this is how Garland runs the DOJ. Despite all of the yelling and criticism, nobody responds or hints at anything until BOOM everything is suddenly in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fifteen of Many posted:

Boo, Maggie saying this is for the boring crime where he stole the 15 boxes of records.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1556783069843099648?s=20&t=I1Y5rPK4ZeY7m4zVjU1srA

Whatever puts that fucker in cuffs is fine with me

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The whole live statement has the energy of King Orange Shouty Man yelling at the lowly constables:

"It's very unfair! I told the FBI officer that he wasn't allowed to search my safe, which has evidence of all my crimes, (my perfect, wonderful crimes because I am the 45th President of the United States and the election was RIGGED and FALSE and then they took the evidence of my crimes from my safe after all this, despite me telling them they weren't allowed to take it. No president has ever been so persecuted after winning two elections!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fifteen of Many posted:

Boo, Maggie saying this is for the boring crime where he stole the 15 boxes of records.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1556783069843099648?s=20&t=I1Y5rPK4ZeY7m4zVjU1srA

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm gonna LOL so hard if this was a raid for some other completely unrelated crime that the FBI was and the DOJ was working on nailing Trump for and has nothing to do with J6.

Caaaaaaaalled it :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

evilweasel posted:

trump has publicly tweeted more legally damaging things than most people who lose lawsuits have in private emails

This was personally one of the more infuriating parts of the Trump presidency early on before I finally went numb

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

volts5000 posted:

Over the past few weeks, we've had sudden movement out of nowhere on both Trump and the Breonna Taylor case. Before that, not a single peep from the DOJ. I'm wondering if this is how Garland runs the DOJ. Despite all of the yelling and criticism, nobody responds or hints at anything until BOOM everything is suddenly in motion.

That is generally how the DOJ always operates. There are some notable exceptions, but they're known for taking a long time to methodically build a case and not moving until everything is wrapped up with a bow. It's a big part of why the conviction rate in federal court is like 95%+.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

tokyo reject posted:

This was personally one of the more infuriating parts of the Trump presidency early on before I finally went numb

Wasn't the tipping point where one reporter (forgot name) posted a tweet that said something like "I've been working on this story for weeks, and he just... goes out and tweets all about it?"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SirFozzie posted:

Wasn't the tipping point where one reporter (forgot name) posted a tweet that said something like "I've been working on this story for weeks, and he just... goes out and tweets all about it?"

If I remember correctly that was actually Don jr

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok but this all hinges on the idea that the NYT is correct on something.

Also https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1556796851831054336

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

volts5000 posted:

I legit forget Merrick garlands real sometimes unlike the trump administration where the undersecretary of public lands or whatever was in the news every other week

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Jarmak posted:

That is generally how the DOJ always operates. There are some notable exceptions, but they're known for taking a long time to methodically build a case and not moving until everything is wrapped up with a bow. It's a big part of why the conviction rate in federal court is like 95%+.

Yeah, but I always remember some things being made public like interviews with witnesses, press releases, minor updates of ongoing cases, etc. Basically, little things that keep the press speculating for whatever reason. "So and so talked to DOJ officials today." I know, ideally, it's supposed to be "nothing...nothing...nothing...BAM something!" This feels different for some reason.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Comon baby

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1556794749377454080

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Professor Beetus posted:

Yes, I am familiar with cpt_obvious's body of work, but I am legitimately curious as to what they (or anyone else in the thread, really) would think an effective measure to prevent that specific gouging would look like.

I'm late due to an FBI raid.

My understanding is that the largest long-term headwind for the purchase of EVs is not the cost of the car, which was expected to drop to parity with ICE cars by ~2025 anyway, but the paucity of places to charge and the limited range. Most EVs are something like 250 miles range, whereas buyers want 330 miles. Apparently we can't just add more batteries to the cars because of the increased cost and the increased weight. That line of reasoning would suggest the best way to prevent price gouging on EVs as a result of a subsidy would be to not offer that subsidy and instead build charging stations all over. $4.5 billion would buy a lot of charging stations. Maybe that is also in the bill, I dunno, I checked out when I found out it wasn't going to do anything for me or require anything of me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fifteen of Many posted:

i do not believe the DOJ signed off on a raid of mar-a-lago based solely on the suspicion perhaps he didn't return all the documents

i can entirely believe that whatever caused him to try to keep those 15 boxes of records was related to a crime and they're looking for whatever he took out of those boxes or destroyed. but i don't believe the DOJ signs off on asking for a warrant, a magistrate judge signs a warrant, for the home of a former president, for something they don't believe is going to lead to real charges. failing to return documents that aren't evidence of another crime isn't that.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 9, 2022

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

I could be convinced to overlook a lot of issues I have with the Biden administration if they manage to bar Trump from running on legal grounds.

I’ve learned by now not to get my hopes up prematurely. But it really does seem impossible Biden, Garland and Co. wouldn’t be aware this would *immediately* mobilize the CHUDs and RWM machine, and just go ahead and pull the trigger anyways without knowing they have something meaningful.

Especially with how timid and measured the administration usually is about rocking the boat.

I liked what a poster above speculated in conjunction with that Popehat thread about the warrants. If the warrant got served because Trump had boxes of classified state secrets, I could 100% see him having sold said state secrets to foreign actors for direct personal gain. It just seems like the kind of idea Trump would love.

Man, if that was the thing he finally got busted for… Just plain as day proof he was selling missile plans or something crazy to like Saudi Arabia or Russia.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I doubt the establishment GOP would even mount a resistance.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

volts5000 posted:

This is how the FBI works, usually. The reason they have an absurd like 98% successful prosecution rate or something like that is because they keep utterly silent while cataloguing all the crimes done and then just nail the perp once a critical mass of data has been achieved to charge with crimes.

All that being said, in this case it might not be the DoJ that has necessarily done this as much as a section of the FBI took matters into their own hands with the intent to try and retrieve the stolen documents, assuming classified data was stolen. So that's a thing too. If that's the case that doesn't mean charges are guaranteed to be forthcoming since Garland is the primary roadblock there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 9, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don’t think this matters. Whatever the DOJ think they have is just going to get challenged and held up in court until Trump gets sworn in for his next term and then has the cover of the office, and pardons himself just to be doubly sure.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

I don’t think this matters. Whatever the DOJ think they have is just going to get challenged and held up in court until Trump gets sworn in for his next term and then has the cover of the office, and pardons himself just to be doubly sure.

I was worried then I saw the red text

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

Up until literally a few hours ago I think being confident Trump would never be seriously investigated or charged with anything was the most reasonable position to have (which is why I had it). This should absolutely affect your priors, this is a big deal and definitely matters, and is definitely way too early to be certain of any specific outcome

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

They nailed Al Capone for tax evasion despite his more obvious and very serious crimes. I wouldn’t be surprised if a similar situation develops for Trump. However I’ll reserve my optimism until more info comes up.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Literally none of this is true. The crash happened because GM and Chrysler were heavily invested in trucks and SUVs, which have higher profit margins and were in high demand during the mid-2000s. The economic crash combined with skyrocketing gas prices absolutely cratered demand, which is why those companies had to beg for money from the government. Notably Ford, which was not as heavily over-leveraged, did not have to take money to prevent bankruptcy (though they did take some to shore up their pension/healthcare plans IIRC)

I would adjust that summary a bit. Ford were already in bad shape in 2007 even before the Great Financial Crisis kicked in. They had borrowed everything they could (and even put the rights to the blue oval Ford logo up as collateral) because they were in the middle of a desperate turnaround plan. They unintentionally lucked out that their Hail Mary effort under Mulally was already under way and got funded during an easy credit market. GM and Chrysler were in bad shape, but just not bad enough until the credit market completely dried up.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

This is in the replies, don’t know if it’s correct: https://twitter.com/milwaukeebonds/status/1556809434885677065?s=21&t=8wo7B2l_fGjrMwvqqQuHXg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

They nailed Al Capone for tax evasion despite his more obvious and very serious crimes. I wouldn’t be surprised if a similar situation develops for Trump. However I’ll reserve my optimism until more info comes up.

Yeah, this is another textbook "be happy that it happened, but don't actually celebrate until Trump is in hand cuffs and behind bars" moments we've all gotten used to over the past 6 years.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
He can be elected while in prison anyway

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, this is another textbook "be happy that it happened, but don't actually celebrate until Trump is in hand cuffs and behind bars" moments we've all gotten used to over the past 6 years.

This is more than the DOJ/FBI ever did during watergate

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1556785377008123907?s=21&t=dPwd_Yp1htzhueu_f94-eA

https://twitter.com/cbenavidestv/status/1556802919919505408?s=21&t=dPwd_Yp1htzhueu_f94-ea

Lol at the cameraman yelling gently caress trump only for a harpy to screech back

Edit: apparently cameras can yell whoops

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 9, 2022

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I shouldn’t be surprised, but seeing these Mar-A-Lago pictures really drives home how *gauche* it is.

Like just incredibly tasteless, totally gross.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
After hearing how upset the CHUDs got, it really got through to me that this is actually something. Yeah, this is what normally happens, but their big special boy is not supposed to be treated normally. What's even the point of being a special boy if you can still have a warrant executed against you, or have your house raided, things seized, etc.?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

SirFozzie posted:

The whole live statement has the energy of King Orange Shouty Man yelling at the lowly constables:

"It's very unfair! I told the FBI officer that he wasn't allowed to search my safe, which has evidence of all my crimes, (my perfect, wonderful crimes because I am the 45th President of the United States and the election was RIGGED and FALSE and then they took the evidence of my crimes from my safe after all this, despite me telling them they weren't allowed to take it. No president has ever been so persecuted after winning two elections!"

Democrrrrrracy maaaaanifest

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

It's really inspiring to witness such a historic event being highlighted by a generationally-whiny little bitch.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Pubbies having a completely normal one.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1556818400227119104/photo/1

"We hate sanctuary cities! We love Sanctuary States!"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

i do not believe the DOJ signed off on a raid of mar-a-lago based solely on the suspicion perhaps he didn't return all the documents

i can entirely believe that whatever caused him to try to keep those 15 boxes of records was related to a crime and they're looking for whatever he took out of those boxes or destroyed. but i don't believe the DOJ signs off on asking for a warrant, a magistrate judge signs a warrant, for the home of a former president, for something they don't believe is going to lead to real charges. failing to return documents that aren't evidence of another crime isn't that.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. There is not a chance in hell they do this without running it past Biden. There is also not a chance in hell Garland and Biden approves this unless they were confident that they were going to get something enormous.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Rigel posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. There is not a chance in hell they do this without running it past Biden. There is also not a chance in hell Garland and Biden approves this unless they were confident that they were going to get something enormous.

Yeah this makes sense, but I keep wondering who told them the documents were there, would be there today, and (apparently some of them at least) were in the safe.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It seems like there's is information the public does not have.

Basically

https://twitter.com/LegalEagle/status/1556823463628865537

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Rigel posted:

This is what I've been hearing people say about the raid but I mean isn't being in possession of government documents ( especially classified documents) and not submitting them to the national archives in of itself a crime? Like is that enough to conduct a search warrant? Or is it one of those things that yes technically it's illegal but since it's a former president in possession of them, in his residence, that the DOJ wouldn't do anything about it unless they were connected to some bigger crime?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

AhhYes posted:

Yeah this makes sense, but I keep wondering who told them the documents were there, would be there today, and (apparently some of them at least) were in the safe.

popehat is speculating (which makes sense) there there could be some kind of co-conspirator who Trump trusts that is working with the FBI. I can't think of any other way they could know for absolute drat sure that whatever they wanted is in Trump's safe.

Charliegrs posted:

This is what I've been hearing people say about the raid but I mean isn't being in possession of government documents ( especially classified documents) and not submitting them to the national archives in of itself a crime? Like is that enough to conduct a search warrant? Or is it one of those things that yes technically it's illegal but since it's a former president in possession of them, in his residence, that the DOJ wouldn't do anything about it unless they were connected to some bigger crime?

A lot of serious people are saying that there's got to be something big, like not only did Trump take secret documents but he's also offering to give or sell them away to adversaries, or something else similarly serious, on that level.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 9, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

AhhYes posted:

I was listening to CNN a few hours ago and they said apparently DOJ agents were at Mar A Lago for discussions with Trump's lawyers recent. Apparently Trump even popped in to say hi but didn't answer any questions and then left. Anyway, the lawyers actually showed the DOJ agents where the documents were being stored in the Mar A Lago basement. Why they showed them I have no idea but apparently it wasn't secured very well so the DOJ asked them to lock it down more which they did with a padlock.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The democrats have suddenly become competent and I’m worried about what screwup they’re building up to now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Charliegrs posted:

I was listening to CNN a few hours ago and they said apparently DOJ agents were at Mar A Lago for discussions with Trump's lawyers recent. Apparently Trump even popped in to say hi but didn't answer any questions and then left. Anyway, the lawyers actually showed the DOJ agents where the documents were being stored in the Mar A Lago basement. Why they showed them I have no idea but apparently it wasn't secured very well so the DOJ asked them to lock it down more which they did with a padlock.

His lawyers: we loving hate him too ok.