Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It doesn't have to be for a single crime and they likely had reason to believe that the evidence was not only present, but likely to be destroyed or not produced in a subpoena.

So it's absolutely about something we don't know about yet.

I really hate speculating, but what are the odds this is tied to Alex Jones' phone? I mean I'd understand if the time frame is way too close, but Jones' lawyers accidentally send a copy of his phone to the Sandy Hook parents -> they turn over the phone to the Jan 6 committee -> they give it to the DOJ -> FBI raids Mar-a-Lago.

It's probably too quick of a turnaround time for that. They'd probably have to verify the phone contents and whatnot. But what if...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

volts5000 posted:

I really hate speculating, but what are the odds this is tied to Alex Jones' phone? I mean I'd understand if the time frame is way too close, but Jones' lawyers accidentally send a copy of his phone to the Sandy Hook parents -> they turn over the phone to the Jan 6 committee -> they give it to the DOJ -> FBI raids Mar-a-Lago.

It's probably too quick of a turnaround time for that. They'd probably have to verify the phone contents and whatnot. But what if...

No loving clue but it's probably unrelated. The time and effort to get this warrant probably took months of work.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No loving clue but it's probably unrelated. The time and effort to get this warrant probably took months of work.

That's what I figured.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is correct. It's only barely theoretically possible. It would have to have been some incredibly precise messages about things that were at MAL right-the-gently caress-now, which is very unlikely.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Mainstream liberal pols and journos taking over the "Dark Brandon" thing as Trump flails about screaming about his house and his safes is the funniest combination of events that we've had for a while.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 9, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Mainstream liberal pols and journos taking over the "Dark Brandon" thing as Trump flails about screaming about his house and his safes is the funniest combination of events that we've had for a while.

It is the 8th day of the month and we're somehow already into the 9th week of August. It's like Trump never left office.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
This definitely signals that doj intends to charge djt with a crime, yeah?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Uglycat posted:

Naw, they got Barron dead to rights though

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's dark Brandon, I'm assuming something very very stupid

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Uglycat posted:

I hate having to confirm this to you of all posters, but: yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cr0y posted:

It's the hip new political meme that supposes that Joe Biden has been replaced with some alternate universe doppelganger with superpowers because he's suddenly started actually doing poo poo with his presidency and they're co-opting the "Let's Go Brandon" meme to troll the chuds with it. It is indeed very stupid, but also mildly funny.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

cr0y posted:

It's a meme where "dark Brandon" is Biden's alter ego and the one responsible for racking up the recent legislative wins.

EDIT: Beaten

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

So e details

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/1556809326622380032

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That is an incredibly opaque piece of phrasing.

Chomsky levels of not being clear.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe Trump was undone by a picture of a toilet. loving President bEatmasterJ, ladies and gentlemen!

Undone by a literal shitpost.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Hasnt the public known that Trump took a bunch of documents home for quite a while now? That's why initially when I heard the place got raided today I didn't think it was a huge deal in fact I was wondering what took so long. Apparently it's mega huge though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Not sure I understand it.

The classified stuff was just three pages?

Or they already have a list three pages long of classified stuff that he should not have taken?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Hasnt the public known that Trump took a bunch of documents home for quite a while now? That's why initially when I heard the place got raided today I didn't think it was a huge deal in fact I was wondering what took so long. Apparently it's mega huge though.

That's pretty much it; it's a big deal they're doing a raid, and it seems like they're looking for something specific beyond "he has stuff he shouldn't have" which implies there's something larger or more pressing about what's going on than what was previously known. At least, that's my understanding

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Not sure I understand it.

The classified stuff was just three pages?

Or they already have a list three pages long of classified stuff that he should not have taken?

they are taking way way more then just the classifed poo poo he scooted away with.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Reuters has a livefeed of a bunch of chuds gathering outside of Mar A Lago. It's hard to tell what the numbers are it doesnt look like very many though.

toterunner
Apr 25, 2022
:byodood::byodood::byodood: I AM ALMOST CERTAINLY "DAVID SMOLINSKI" COMING FRESH OFF MY BAN FROM THE ARS TECHNICA FORUMS TO SPEW MORE NONSENSE :byodood::byodood::byodood:

Lemming posted:

That's pretty much it; it's a big deal they're doing a raid, and it seems like they're looking for something specific beyond "he has stuff he shouldn't have" which implies there's something larger or more pressing about what's going on than what was previously known. At least, that's my understanding

MrMojok posted:

Even if it’s specifically about the mishandling of classified info, that’s no trivial thing because—-

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1556790714612203521?s=21&t=UuPHMLE5AtxpF69nJm3Knw

There won't be more to it, and everyone saying that there must be because the raid would be abnormal otherwise will forget saying that.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

There’s a decent chance trump hauled off anything he thought he could make a quick buck selling. No idea what this missile schematic is but my Chinese friend offered 4 mil for it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Undone by a literal shitpost.

Please let this be the new thread title.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

volts5000 posted:

Over the past few weeks, we've had sudden movement out of nowhere on both Trump and the Breonna Taylor case. Before that, not a single peep from the DOJ. I'm wondering if this is how Garland runs the DOJ. Despite all of the yelling and criticism, nobody responds or hints at anything until BOOM everything is suddenly in motion.

This reminds me of Benjamin Wittes and his "baby cannon" gimmick on twitter. ah, how time flies...
https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/880597124794200064?lang=en

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

volts5000 posted:

Over the past few weeks, we've had sudden movement out of nowhere on both Trump and the Breonna Taylor case. Before that, not a single peep from the DOJ. I'm wondering if this is how Garland runs the DOJ. Despite all of the yelling and criticism, nobody responds or hints at anything until BOOM everything is suddenly in motion.

thats how the normal DOJ is. you hit only when you know you can hit and have all the stuff lined up.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

This is getting a bit misstated. The “100 pages” refers to 15 boxes handed to the National Archives in January. From the article:

quote:

In January, the National Archives and Records Administration retrieved 15 boxes of documents and other items from Mar-a-Lago that Archives officials said should have been turned over when Trump left the White House.
“The Presidential Records Act is critical to our democracy, in which the government is held accountable by the people,” then-Archivist of the United States David S. Ferriero said in a statement in February…

he inventory of unclassified items in the boxes that were recovered earlier this year from Mar-a-Lago is roughly 100 pages long, according to a person familiar with that document. Descriptions of items that were improperly taken to Mar-a-Lago include a cocktail napkin, a phone list, charts, slide decks, letters, memos, maps, talking points, a birthday dinner menu, schedules, and more, this person said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss details of the ongoing investigation.

There is a separate inventory for just the classified materials that were taken to the former president’s Florida residence, this person said. If the unclassified version of the classified inventory was organized in the same way as the inventory of non-classified items, it’d be around three pages, according to this person.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Uglycat posted:

"Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2071#:~:text=Whoever%20willfully%20and%20unlawfully%20conceals,United%20States%2C%20or%20in%20any

Huh, I was wrong. There are methods other than treason and impeachment to forbid a person from holding public office.

That only applies for appointed positions, not elected positions

For obvious reasons (whether or not you agree with it), you can't write electoral eligibility requirements into US Code

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

God I hope they start eating each other alive over the distrust this is likely to sow.

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1556822758528466950

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

God I hope they start eating each other alive over the distrust this is likely to sow.

Has Alex Jones been to Mara Lago recently?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

toterunner posted:

There won't be more to it, and everyone saying that there must be because the raid would be abnormal otherwise will forget saying that.

Is this a toxx?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It was Trump's own lawyers. From CNN:

In early June, a handful of investigators made a rare visit to the property seeking more information about potentially classified material from Trump's time in the White House that had been taken to Florida. The four investigators, including Jay Bratt, the chief of the counterintelligence and export control section at the Justice Department, sat down with two of Trump's attorneys, Bobb and Evan Corcoran, according to a source present for the meeting.
At the beginning of the meeting, Trump stopped by and greeted the investigators near a dining room. After he left, without answering any questions, the investigators asked the attorneys if they could see where Trump was storing the documents. The attorneys took the investigators to the basement room where the boxes of materials were being stored, and the investigators looked around the room before eventually leaving, according to the source.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

It was Trump's own lawyers. From CNN:

In early June, a handful of investigators made a rare visit to the property seeking more information about potentially classified material from Trump's time in the White House that had been taken to Florida. The four investigators, including Jay Bratt, the chief of the counterintelligence and export control section at the Justice Department, sat down with two of Trump's attorneys, Bobb and Evan Corcoran, according to a source present for the meeting.
At the beginning of the meeting, Trump stopped by and greeted the investigators near a dining room. After he left, without answering any questions, the investigators asked the attorneys if they could see where Trump was storing the documents. The attorneys took the investigators to the basement room where the boxes of materials were being stored, and the investigators looked around the room before eventually leaving, according to the source.

Same story with source posting
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1556817634603180035?t=fhJloNP6ICWcZDeZSqAhDg&s=19

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The FBI enters Trump’s office, pries a single selected floorboard up, reaches down and pulls a single dusty manila file folder out of the floor.

The label: “Her Emails”

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
https://twitter.com/MichaelSteele/status/1556816227695214595

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That said, defunding the FBI would be a good thing regardless.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Has anyone called this a grand MAL seizure yet

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lol, could this all have been avoided without even a slap on the wrist if he had just given the stolen docs back?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 9, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol, could this all have been avoided without even a slap on the rest if he had just given the stolen docs back?

Probably.

Garland is decorum personified. If pursuing justice means harming someone’s political future, he is going to steer well clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

Has anyone called this a grand MAL seizure yet

:golfclap: