Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
IIMM The Gray Man

Holy poo poo they love the drone shots in this movie. Every scene or location change seems to have a drone fly by.

Fun movie but christ.

Also, while I always enjoy Evans acting like an rear end in a top hat, Gosling gave the main character like nil personality. I dunno if the character is supposed to be an autistic super agent cause I haven't read the books but drat. His emotional range in the movie is just 😶.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Gosling gave the main character like nil personality.

So it's just like every other Gosling movie?

They really turned his flat affect and inability to emote into an advantage in Blade Runner, but he's just flat as newsprint in everything I've seen him in.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Phanatic posted:

So it's just like every other Gosling movie?

They really turned his flat affect and inability to emote into an advantage in Blade Runner, but he's just flat as newsprint in everything I've seen him in.
I didn't think he was that great in this, but I didn't think he was bad either. He just played it as relatively distanced smartass which worked for the role for me. That said if you haven't seen the Nice Guys, I thought he was really good in that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He seemed to stretch himself a bit in The Big Short, but ‘stoic emotionally cold badass’ is about 60% of his output.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Prey IIMM

Title card: The Great Plains

Movie: Mountains loving everywhere

Which reminds me, The Danish Girl is set in...Denmark, a famously flat country. And yet there's mountains everywhere because it was shot in Norway which is not a famously flat counry.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
If you want to see Gosling emote, you could always watch The Believer where he plays a Jewish neo Nazi.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Prey IIMM

Title card: The Great Plains

Movie: Mountains loving everywhere

I wish I knew there was a Commanche dub before I actually watched it. The whole time I kept thinking, 'This would be really rad if it was just subtitled."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

credburn posted:

I wish I knew there was a Commanche dub before I actually watched it. The whole time I kept thinking, 'This would be really rad if it was just subtitled."

I wish they'd stuck with their original plan to film in Comanche and have English be the dubbed version. The otherwise superior Comanche version is now forever saddled with mismatched lip movement.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Prey:

I think it's good overall, probably tied for my second favorite Predator movie (Predator is #1, Prey and Predator 2 at 2, uhhh....I guess Predators at 3? I haven't seen The Predator, so who knows....then let's leave empty spaces for potential future movies, then #24 AvP: Requiem, and #25: AvP.)

But:
There just happens to be this magic orange flower that LITERALLY make your blood/body cold, mere seconds after eating it? That's just straight up magic. It's not remotely possible. You can't just flip a switch in the body to have it go from "make hot" to "make cold."

Could there be some herb or flower that, after eaten, lowers your body temp by loving with the internal processes/hormones it uses to regulate temperature, or just throws your internal metabolism out of whack so you are cold? Yeah, sure. But it would take hours for it to work, and you would still BE HOT. Like...at best, you could maybe get yourself down to, like, the upper 80's? I guess we aren't told what time of year Prey takes place in, so maybe that would be low enough of a temp to "blend in" to the air/ground and trees, but...you'd be out for the count. Not doing sweet "invisible" martial arts moves mere inches from the Predator.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Prey:

I think it's good overall, probably tied for my second favorite Predator movie (Predator is #1, Prey and Predator 2 at 2, uhhh....I guess Predators at 3? I haven't seen The Predator, so who knows....then let's leave empty spaces for potential future movies, then #24 AvP: Requiem, and #25: AvP.)

The Predator would be #26 on your list. It mashed to actually be worse than either of the AVPs.

As to your spoiled complaint, you aren't wrong that it was unrealistic, but over time I've started to care less about whether something is realistic and more about whether it is consistent. That aspect of the film worked the same way multiple times, so I was okay with the payoff.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, that worked for me too. Friends get really confused about what I consider good or fun movies because I can go for high concept super artsy stuff but also enjoy the easy to watch poo poo, but in my head it makes sense.

I'm not picky and I can suspend my disbelief easily, but what really matters is consistency within the goal of the movie. I don't expect a comedy to be air tight, and I can excuse plot holes for the sake of the story (looking at yoy BttF2 where you break the time travel rules you spent an entire scene breaking it down for the audience) but as soon as it's a result of bad writing I'm out.

I had just as much fun watching Prey as I did watching the new Minions movie, even though I would consider Prey the better movie.

Watching a movie is enjoying a story, and it's not like a law of nature that everything in that story has to be 100% accurate to real life or whatever. If the story needs something that doesn't really exist but is presented plausibly enough than sure, I'll roll with it. As long as they're not lazy about it it's fine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In my head she didn't get seen because she was so close to the fire she blended in. I will not budge from this idea.

It did have an irritating thing a lot of movies do when they're set somewhere that doesn't use English but they still speak in English. They just randomly will toss a word from the language they're supposed to be using in there. Like, why?

Why are you doing that?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Taeke posted:

Yeah, that worked for me too. Friends get really confused about what I consider good or fun movies because I can go for high concept super artsy stuff but also enjoy the easy to watch poo poo, but in my head it makes sense.

This is, in fact, the healthiest way to approach films.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Push El Burrito posted:

In my head she didn't get seen because she was so close to the fire she blended in. I will not budge from this idea.

It did have an irritating thing a lot of movies do when they're set somewhere that doesn't use English but they still speak in English. They just randomly will toss a word from the language they're supposed to be using in there. Like, why?

Why are you doing that?

It adds a certain je ne sais pas.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

Makes sense in a Westworld the 1973 movie way.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

This is, in fact, the healthiest way to approach films.

Thanks, and that reminds me of another point:
I think a huge amount of criticism is from people that make movies (or any media) they consume an unhealthy large part of their identity.

Like the majority of posters here (me included) will bitch and moan about this or that from x or y that pulled them out of it or in some way decreased the enjoyment of watching it, which is absolutely fine because this is the right place to air that poo poo and talk about and learn new stuff and, you know, the kind of posting that makes us come back to SA on a daily basis. But then we move on with our lives, and we enjoyed the experience despite its flaws. Someone made a lovely choice making that movie, so what? Like I'm sure the poster above that mentioned the flowers in Prey moved on from it right after they posted it and doesn't regret watching the movie at all.

The people that get linked here from Twitter and whatever and we (rightly) ridicule on the other hand... I pity them. Really, I do. They must be losing out on so much good life in general has to offer them just because it isn't perfectly catered to them or it isn't perfect. Or god forbid, it includes a woman or minority in a way that doesn't conform to their ideology, but that's a different can of worms we shouldn't get into.

They're the kind of people that will point to Chaplin and the Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello as the perfect examples of slapstick comedy and completely miss the fact that the artform has evolved and that stuff like the Minions is a drat good continuation/evolution of that same exact loving thing. They're missing out, for real.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Taeke posted:

I'm not picky and I can suspend my disbelief easily, but what really matters is consistency within the goal of the movie. I don't expect a comedy to be air tight, and I can excuse plot holes for the sake of the story (looking at yoy BttF2 where you break the time travel rules you spent an entire scene breaking it down for the audience) but as soon as it's a result of bad writing I'm out.

I had just as much fun watching Prey as I did watching the new Minions movie, even though I would consider Prey the better movie.

Watching a movie is enjoying a story, and it's not like a law of nature that everything in that story has to be 100% accurate to real life or whatever. If the story needs something that doesn't really exist but is presented plausibly enough than sure, I'll roll with it. As long as they're not lazy about it it's fine.

Yeah, I kind of go with the Roger Ebert/Pauline Kael approach where "it’s not what a movie is about, it’s how it is about it."

The Godfather is not trying to do the same thing that Modern Times is trying to do and neither of them are trying to do the same thing that Toy Story is trying to do and so on. You could ask me which movie I think is better, and my answer is likely going to depend on which kind of movie I prefer but the only way you can really compare them is to look at what they set out to accomplish and ask how well they achieved that goal

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
My IIMM with The Godfather is that I'm 42 years old and I just watched it two days ago. Just....wow.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

My IIMM with The Godfather is that I'm 42 years old and I just watched it two days ago. Just....wow.

tbf there are a lot of movies

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

rydiafan posted:

The Predator would be #26 on your list. It mashed to actually be worse than either of the AVPs.

As to your spoiled complaint, you aren't wrong that it was unrealistic, but over time I've started to care less about whether something is realistic and more about whether it is consistent. That aspect of the film worked the same way multiple times, so I was okay with the payoff.

It also was the perfect chord of being completely ridiculous without making any meta joke about how ridiculous it was, nor trying to provide some science behind it. It presents it earlier in the film, it establishes what it does, and then it comes back. It's perfect. It trusts the audience.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Raya and the Last Dragon: How could nine stomachs fit inside such small monkeys?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Consistency is underrated in films. It's why I absolutely despise the ending of Interstellar. After spruiking how realistic and dedicated to scientific accuracy your film is, the tesseract power of love bullshit at the end was just jarring.

Nolan is basically M. Night Shyamalan at this point only instead of being obsessed with shoehorning in lovely "just because" twists that fail because they are ineffective at intelligently recontextualising what you just watched, he's obsessed with blowing his audiences' minds with poorly conveyed supposedly high concept material.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Breetai posted:

Consistency is underrated in films. It's why I absolutely despise the ending of Interstellar. After spruiking how realistic and dedicated to scientific accuracy your film is, the tesseract power of love bullshit at the end was just jarring.

Nolan is basically M. Night Shyamalan at this point only instead of being obsessed with shoehorning in lovely "just because" twists that fail because they are ineffective at intelligently recontextualising what you just watched, he's obsessed with blowing his audiences' minds with poorly conveyed supposedly high concept material.

With this theory I'm genuinely curious what Nolan will be doing in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5FSYyIM5o

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Android Apocalypse posted:

With this theory I'm genuinely curious what Nolan will be doing in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5FSYyIM5o

Not precisely sure, but look for a bunch of hot takes from the kind of people who can't relate to reality except through the lens of their preferred consumable media along the lines of "it is only through Nolan's incredible directorial genius that we as a society have been made aware of the fact that mutually assured destruction via direct nuclear exchange is, in fact, bad".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Boy did action movie heroes get shot in the shoulder a lot in the eighties and nineties. And somehow it never impedes them other than maybe listing to starboard when they run.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

Which reminds me, The Danish Girl is set in...Denmark, a famously flat country. And yet there's mountains everywhere because it was shot in Norway which is not a famously flat counry.

Beowulf did the same thing.

On the other hand, trying to figure out Fury Road's setting and timeline is fun. Definitely leans towards the 'Mad Max as a folk hero whose makes his way into other stories retold long after the apocalypse' interpretation. Also I like the idea that the setting really is the dried-up ocean floor after a Fist of the North Star level insane offscreen apocalypse. Maybe Half-Life 2.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Beowulf did the same thing.

On the other hand, trying to figure out Fury Road's setting and timeline is fun. Definitely leans towards the 'Mad Max as a folk hero whose makes his way into other stories retold long after the apocalypse' interpretation. Also I like the idea that the setting really is the dried-up ocean floor after a Fist of the North Star level insane offscreen apocalypse. Maybe Half-Life 2.

Wasn't he a cop in the first one? So civilization exists... somewhere...?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

credburn posted:

I mean specifically that the timeline doesn't make much sense at all in a setting where warlords are well established, while the first Mad Max takes place more pre/during the collapse of civilisation than long afterwards like in the subsequent movies where they all live in a deadly wasteland where civilization is a distant memory.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

Yeah in the first one modern society is still a thing, but it's obviously starting to fall apart. So there's roving street gangs but there's also a government and at one point Max and his family going on a holiday. Stuffs going bad fast, but it seems people can sort of still go about their day to day lives.

Second one onwards are all set after some sort of nuclear apocalypse. Old worlds gone.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mad Max... Also I like the idea that the setting really is the dried-up ocean floor after a Fist of the North Star level insane offscreen apocalypse. Maybe Half-Life 2.

The game used this idea, with various shipwrecks scattered around on hills that were actually coral reefs. They also hinted that several apocalypse-level events had happened at the same time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

dr_rat posted:

Yeah in the first one modern society is still a thing, but it's obviously starting to fall apart. So there's roving street gangs but there's also a government and at one point Max and his family going on a holiday. Stuffs going bad fast, but it seems people can sort of still go about their day to day lives.

Second one onwards are all set after some sort of nuclear apocalypse. Old worlds gone.

Huh, I never considered there was an event between Mad Max and Road Warrior. I thought he was just disillusioned after the events in Mad Max so he walked off to the wasteland. I figured there were still bastions of civilized life like, in the ruins of Sydney or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fall Dog posted:

The game used this idea, with various shipwrecks scattered around on hills that were actually coral reefs. They also hinted that several apocalypse-level events had happened at the same time.

A friend of mine guessed that most of the ocean was used for reaction mass.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

Huh, I never considered there was an event between Mad Max and Road Warrior. I thought he was just disillusioned after the events in Mad Max so he walked off to the wasteland. I figured there were still bastions of civilized life like, in the ruins of Sydney or something.

I mean in the first mad max it seems like all the cities are still going at least sort of fine. Commercial radio still seems to be going, shops are open. Max lives in a home and has a holiday house. I mean I've spent a lot of time living in Victoria, where it was filmed and like they didn't even pick the most wasteland'ish looking roads to film on.

Start of the second one is the first time you hear about nukes being used, and from then on the only none wasteland stuff is stuff that has obviously been rebuilt.

Millers pretty open that he doesn't really care much about the continuity of the Mad Max films, treating them as stories told of a mysterious stranger and whatnot, but that's how it was shown on screen so... :shrug:

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

credburn posted:

I think the catastrophic event happened just prior to the first movie, and the police were doing their best (and failing) to maintain order. There's only a few decades or so between the events of the first movie and Fury Road, if I remember correctly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I watched Clockwork Orange roughly around the time I watched the first Mad Max and consider them part of the same universe.

From Road Warrior onwards, the franchise shares the setting with Aladdin.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
iimm: cillian murphy is so weird looking

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fall Dog posted:

I think the catastrophic event happened just prior to the first movie, and the police were doing their best (and failing) to maintain order. There's only a few decades or so between the events of the first movie and Fury Road, if I remember correctly.

Furiosa was born after the collapse. So it's been a good 40 years at least, and certainly too long for Tom Hardy's Max to have been a cop before it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Max is sort of like a post-apocalyptic King Arthur or Robin Hood — if you think too hard about the timeline none of it makes sense and there’s really nowhere for these stories to go in a way that fits with history, but it’s all part of the folklore

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jedit posted:

Furiosa was born after the collapse. So it's been a good 40 years at least, and certainly too long for Tom Hardy's Max to have been a cop before it.

Tom hardy was obviously playing a 65 year old.

all the irradiated sand blowing in the galling winds makes for an excellent exfoliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey that fuckin game though felt accurate in presenting a Mad Max world and story and cinematic experience than almost any game adaptation I've seen. The game itself was fun, I thought, but the presentation of it was fuckin phenomenal.