Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

His lawyers: we loving hate him too ok.

it turns out there’s a downside to repeatedly not paying your lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The democrats have suddenly become competent and I’m worried about what screwup they’re building up to now

Hang onto that thought on being competent for a little longer…

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The democrats have suddenly become competent and I’m worried about what screwup they’re building up to now

Obviously the Large Hadron Collider turning on slipped us into this new timeline where Democrats actually can get stuff done.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Gatts posted:

Hang onto that thought on being competent for a little longer…

The democrats being competent is always the lead up to a punchline I’m well aware. That’s why it aways makes me nervous when it happens

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
At some point, someone in the administration made the call to take the gloves off.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So what's the chances that Trump announces his 2024 run tomorrow?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

At some point, someone in the administration made the call to take the gloves off.

fair warning last time we heard that comment it was on the release of the Mueller report, and we all remember how that turned out

take pleasure from trump and his sycophants sweating, because lol owned, but take the various members of the take-industrial complex taking preemptive victory laps with enough salt to mummify everyone at Mar-a-Lago.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Jaxyon posted:

It's absolutely funny as gently caress and watching a bunch of Republicans be seething mad that "you tricked us into voting for something partially useful" is one of the few pleasures I can still take in life.

Somewhat less humorous to really realize the full depth of their depravity however.

It's one thing to discuss, as we often do, how the GOP has no platform except to "own the libs", but to actually see it from their perspective; to see them take the news of the return of a dead bill as if they just found out the Democrats hosed their wives and then instantly respond by coldly screwing over a bunch of toxic burn pit wounded veterans really drives home how far down the rabbit hole they really are.

Like, what do they think their job actually is? How do you ever have a reasonable conversation about anything critically important with these people? In this context Obama's ridiculous team of rivals strategy and basically the entire Leftwing and the MSM's attempts at "reaching across the isle" and "understanding the Conservative mindset" during his first term seem suicidally naive.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 9, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

it turns out there’s a downside to repeatedly not paying your lawyers

what about Jone's lawyers, he probably paid them and is currently paying them.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don’t think there is anything incriminating on the documents the FBI took. I think it’s more a case that they made multiple requests for him to return missing documents, he ignored them, they told him they would get a warrant to come and take everything that he has to return, he said go ahead, get a warrant, thinking it was an empty threat and they followed through.

The press statements Trump put out would have been way more unhinged if the FBI got anything he was worried about. Trump may be an idiot, but he is an old fashioned idiot, and he would have shredded anything that could damage him, and then burned the shredded paper before dumping the ashes in the ocean.

We have seen Trump freak out when he thought he was in trouble, and this isn’t it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe donnie is a cheapo old man and and used a shittty shredder from the 90s that does big o thicc ribbon shreds.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Somewhat less humorous to really realize the full depth of their depravity however.

It's one thing to discuss, as we often do, how the GOP has no platform except to "own the libs", but to actually see it from their perspective; to see them respond to the return of a dead bill as if they just found out the Democrats hosed their wives really drives home how far down the rabbit hole they really are.

How do you ever have a reasonable conversation about anything critically important with these people? In this context Obama's ridiculous team of rivals strategy and basically the entire Leftwing and the MSM's attempts at "reaching across the isle" and "understanding the Conservative mindset" during his first term seem suicidally naive.

you tell them, as in early 2020, "if we don't do something both the people who fund your campaigns and mine will be out of business." scared them bad enough that we actually saw the one recorded case of republicans outflanking democrats to the left! Mitt loving Romney managed to take a more open stance than Nancy Pelosi on which businesses and people deserved government money in the face of Covid. that bill got passed immediately, and bipartisanly, with none of the usual bickering attendant.

now, can you repeat that on command to make them do what you want, gently caress no, but it does help clarify the nature of the problem. claiming the Republican party is utterly disconnected from reality is unfortunately a pleasing lie we tell ourselves to feel better. they are -acutely- connected to a very specific reality, and it is the reality of their financial supporters' wallets.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The NYT coverage of this notes that while in office he would routinely rip up documents by hand that some poor staffer would then have to tape back together out of his view because it was some important document they were legally required to keep. Because he couldn’t actually be bothered to burn the pieces and dump the ashes. He thought him ripping it up just made it not be a thing anymore.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Riven posted:

The NYT coverage of this notes that while in office he would routinely rip up documents by hand that some poor staffer would then have to tape back together out of his view because it was some important document they were legally required to keep. Because he couldn’t actually be bothered to burn the pieces and dump the ashes. He thought him ripping it up just made it not be a thing anymore.

That strikes me as more him thinking himself a king, where everyone obeys his every order, and that torn up paper ends up in the trash, which I am guessing gets incinerated some where on the premises for security reasons.

The fact that he is tearing up the paper at all suggests he knows not to hold on to things that he thinks will get him in trouble or portray him in a way he doesn’t want to be seen.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

I don’t think there is anything incriminating on the documents the FBI took. I think it’s more a case that they made multiple requests for him to return missing documents, he ignored them, they told him they would get a warrant to come and take everything that he has to return, he said go ahead, get a warrant, thinking it was an empty threat and they followed through.

The press statements Trump put out would have been way more unhinged if the FBI got anything he was worried about. Trump may be an idiot, but he is an old fashioned idiot, and he would have shredded anything that could damage him, and then burned the shredded paper before dumping the ashes in the ocean.

We have seen Trump freak out when he thought he was in trouble, and this isn’t it.

You don't raid a former presidents house for some poo poo that he didn't turn over when subpoena'd.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Godamn do I wish CPAC was still going on....

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Right but my point is that someone was aging he wouldn’t have incriminating stuff still because he would get rid of it and that assumes a level of competency and follow through on his part that I think is unwarranted. Like, he probably tried to get rid of it and just assumed it happened, as you’re saying, when actually someone taped it back together and put it in a box.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

The fact that he is tearing up the paper at all suggests he knows not to hold on to things that he thinks will get him in trouble or portray him in a way he doesn’t want to be seen.

Alternatively, he also might think that it is some power move to tear up paper to show that he is the one in charge because he is into stupid theatrics.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

cr0y posted:

You don't raid a former presidents house for some poo poo that he didn't turn over when subpoena'd.

If the FBI actually took things that were incriminating, Trump would be going ballistic. He would have already done an impromptu rally and press conference to rile up his base. Instead he put out a very tame attempt at playing the victim, because it aligns with his me vs. the establishment narrative that he is going to run on again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

If the FBI actually took things that were incriminating, Trump would be going ballistic. He would have already done an impromptu rally and press conference to rile up his base. Instead he put out a very tame attempt at playing the victim, because it aligns with his me vs. the establishment narrative that he is going to run on again.

Did you read his press release like at all?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Mooseontheloose posted:

When he was actually worried he tried to murder his own VP and overthrow the United States

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hadn't thought of this.

https://twitter.com/danieleharper/status/1556831482693525504?t=3ThzHU1oASam1VNITWuVMw&s=19

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

On the Trump scale, that is very tame. It is almost indistinguishable from the funding raising emails he would send out weekly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

slurm posted:

When he was actually worried he tried to murder his own VP and overthrow the United States

Yeah when he had the resources of a sitting president and wasn't in the middle of being abandoned and ratted out by nearly every co-conspirator involved in that thing you mentioned. Very good observation.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If Trump faces actual consequences, I think that emboldens the fascists and A. we get at least one actual terrorist attack in response and B. someone actually competent like De Santis uses the anger to fuel his campaign by giving just enough of a hint that he'll pardon Trump.

Not saying the DOJ shouldn't prosecute Trump to the fullest- just saying there may be some serious blowback if anything actually happens. Hell, barring Trump from running again may end up helping the GOP.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm not paying attention to his truth social poo poo, for all we know he's in a Xanax induced coma while kushner plays on his antisocial media account

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

slurm posted:

No he asked his supporters to do it which is what he was doing in the press release but for the fbi. And they heard him.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1556787050438877192?s=19

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

If Trump faces actual consequences, I think that emboldens the fascists

Nah, it would of been after the election. While actions by right wing terror groups are always possible at heart the nearly all cowards and if they think they're might actually be consequences they'll yell a lot but do gently caress all.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

The Mar a Lago raid news broke at like 9pm EST, he's not going to have a fully stocked rally ready to go by midnight. And even if he did, half his base is asleep right now. I think this is kind of an unreasonable expectation here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

If Trump faces actual consequences, I think that emboldens the fascists and A. we get at least one actual terrorist attack in response and B. someone actually competent like De Santis uses the anger to fuel his campaign by giving just enough of a hint that he'll pardon Trump.

Not saying the DOJ shouldn't prosecute Trump to the fullest- just saying there may be some serious blowback if anything actually happens. Hell, barring Trump from running again may end up helping the GOP.

deSantis' competence is over-rated imo. He strikes me as this cycle's perry/walker/giuliani/rubio/Jeb! puffed up by the media to be inevitable and consensus chokes in like 2 seconds once the spotlight's on, his only real competitive race has been against a dude who had coke-fueled gay orgies in miami beach and was trading favors for hamilton tickets and he barely won. drat he wins by complaining about culture war issues in the old people capital of the world, what political acumen!\

Trump's only real move right now is to run for the presidency. Staying out of the limelight just makes him an easier target and going on the attack has always been his way of dealing with this sort of thing. DeSantis vs. Trump would be a slaughter even before this news got the base to rally around him.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you tell them, as in early 2020, "if we don't do something both the people who fund your campaigns and mine will be out of business." scared them bad enough that we actually saw the one recorded case of republicans outflanking democrats to the left! Mitt loving Romney managed to take a more open stance than Nancy Pelosi on which businesses and people deserved government money in the face of Covid. that bill got passed immediately, and bipartisanly, with none of the usual bickering attendant.

now, can you repeat that on command to make them do what you want, gently caress no, but it does help clarify the nature of the problem. claiming the Republican party is utterly disconnected from reality is unfortunately a pleasing lie we tell ourselves to feel better. they are -acutely- connected to a very specific reality, and it is the reality of their financial supporters' wallets.

That's a fair point.

However, the Romney example also serves to highlight the fact that we're not dealing with the "adults-in-the-room" Business Republicans anymore. Romney et al are on their way out the door. The primaries have been an absolute bloodbath for the Business/Old Guard GOP. MAGA's been practically running the board. A bit of that was by our own design, with DCCC gaming some things based on their models, and Cook now has us in a better position going into the general as a result. But regardless that pleasant lie is already on the verge of becoming an unpleasant reality.

https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/1556427674876186626

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 9, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

skylined! posted:

No he asked his supporters to do it which is what he was doing in the press release but for the fbi. And they heard him.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1556787050438877192?s=19

I don't know why, but just seeing the username "SwampKraken" made me laugh.

-Blackadder- posted:

That's a fair point.

However, the Romney example also serves to highlight the fact that we're not dealing with the "adults-in-the-room" Business Republicans anymore. Romney et al are on their way out the door. The primaries have been an absolute bloodbath for the Business/Old Guard GOP. MAGA's been practically running the board. A bit of that was by our own design, with DCCC gaming some things based on their models, and Cook now has us in a better position going into the general as a result. But regardless that pleasant lie is already on the verge of becoming an unpleasant reality.

https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/1556427674876186626
Yeah, Doug Ducey is a spineless, sniveling turd - I'm sure he's just going to pivot towards lobbying, but it's hard to say what exactly his long-term political plans are, since on one hand, he's tried to keep the MAGA wing at arm's length somewhat, but then of course when it suits him and/or he has no choice, he licks their boots when he could just stay silent.

Pre-Primaries, he even referred to Kari Lake by the "Fake Lake" label, but you can see how quickly he started kissing her boots after the candidate he supported/endorsed lost the primary.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 9, 2022

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

deSantis' competence is over-rated imo. He strikes me as this cycle's perry/walker/giuliani/rubio/Jeb! puffed up by the media to be inevitable and consensus chokes in like 2 seconds once the spotlight's on, his only real competitive race has been against a dude who had coke-fueled gay orgies in miami beach and was trading favors for hamilton tickets and he barely won. drat he wins by complaining about culture war issues in the old people capital of the world, what political acumen!

Yeah I really have trouble figuring out why people think DeSantis has anything going for him outside of Florida.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

desantis is 5'9 and looks even shorter. he will never be president.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The person most upset about the FBI's Mar A Lago raid?

Ron DeSantis.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

The person most upset about the FBI's Mar A Lago raid?

Ron DeSantis.

DeSantis is probably mad that the FBI raid wasn't a clean killshot on Trump's political aspirations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

deSantis' competence is over-rated imo. He strikes me as this cycle's perry/walker/giuliani/rubio/Jeb! puffed up by the media to be inevitable and consensus chokes in like 2 seconds once the spotlight's on, his only real competitive race has been against a dude who had coke-fueled gay orgies in miami beach and was trading favors for hamilton tickets and he barely won. drat he wins by complaining about culture war issues in the old people capital of the world, what political acumen!\

Trump's only real move right now is to run for the presidency. Staying out of the limelight just makes him an easier target and going on the attack has always been his way of dealing with this sort of thing. DeSantis vs. Trump would be a slaughter even before this news got the base to rally around him.

Yeah, if you think the Democrat bench is moribund- which it absolutely is- Trump slaughtered his primary competition because they have literally nobody with actual charisma. Both are full of just the most useless hobgoblins to the point where a carnival barker stands out for actually putting in effort.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

DeSantis is probably mad that the FBI raid wasn't a clean killshot on Trump's political aspirations.

trump is now a straight white male victim. He will run for president only to avoid prosecution and increase his victimhood and DeSantis running against him would only backfire and kill his own political career. DeSantis' only remaining hope is a big mac induced heart attack.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Major General Don "Godfather" Junior is waiting in the shadows with the Texas rangers ready to arrest the federal agents at Mar La Go. He just needs to call into the An-117 and order them to charge.

Once he does the rest of the military will declare fealty to trump and the cheyenne mountain complex will fly a trump/Jfk Jr 2024 flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Major General Don "Godfather" Junior is waiting in the shadows with the Texas rangers ready to arrest the federal agents at Mar La Go. He just needs to call into the An-117 and order them to charge.

Once he does the rest of the military will declare fealty to trump and the cheyenne mountain complex will fly a trump/Jfk Jr 2024 flag

this is kind of pushing it for shitposting itt.