Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah keep in mind that -unless it happens in The Predator, a movie I haven’t seen - glover is, iirc, the only predator MC who actually 1v1s a predator and unambiguously wins in more or less a straight fight. No trickery, no guile, no teammates (busey don’t count, the predator gets a flawless victory on his whole team) and no traps, just a straight up bloody brutal shootout across half of LA that ends with him gutting the poor bastard in a straight up melee. It’s absolutely wild to think about but it’s somehow true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In The Predator McKenna has help from both Munn and his Son.

Glover shoots the Predator. Cuts off his arm with his own weapon. And uses said weapon to jam it deep inside his GUTS.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Predator: "diplomatic immunity!"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It's great reading Danny Glover on Danny Glover's performance in P2

quote:

Danny Glover was also proud of his performance, saying: I have two films I’ve done that I feel that I was bigger than life in, in which I felt that I could control the space. Silverado for me, and Predator 2. In Predator 2, it was like ‘who’s the baddest cat in your space, and the baddest cat says ‘I’m gonna challenge you.’ Mano y mano. I was the baddest guy in his space. What happens? I kill him, and then the others come around, and I’m like ‘alright…. who’s next?’ I was about 42, 43.. in the best shape in my life, best shape I’ve been in. I was running on the beach, had my training, I was lifting weights a lot more than I am now. I was really feeling it in that movie.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
I think it was Adam Nayman's review that suggested that the predator in Prey is a rookie trying to prove itself, and I think that's an accurate read. It doesn't understand the tools it has, it underestimates threats left and right, and it thinks it's going to live forever in how willing it is to let its prey hit it or wade into the fight. It's basically the same as the Comanche hunters who think they know everything there is to know in the wilderness. Good stuff.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
is there a making of predator 2, and if so, is it as good as the first one? that one was an amazing watch and i barely can get through those normally.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

heckyeahpathy posted:

I think it was Adam Nayman's review that suggested that the predator in Prey is a rookie trying to prove itself, and I think that's an accurate read.

Some goons ITT have mentioned that Trachtenberg said the predator in this film was a juvenile on its first hunt. Haven't found a source for that though. There's also the implication that this is the species' first time scoping out Earth as a hunting ground too, based on this featurette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sEC8JkDoRk

Though, the language used in the video above -- "this is the creature's first time on Earth" -- could also mean it's the juvenile predator's first hunt on Earth only, and not the species as a whole.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Last King posted:

is there a making of predator 2, and if so, is it as good as the first one? that one was an amazing watch and i barely can get through those normally.

It’s not as good as the first one.

https://youtu.be/gslQRnmJo5o

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

It’s not as good as the first one.

https://youtu.be/gslQRnmJo5o

thanks for this - yea and sadly a big let down when compared to the other one. still interesting to see.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah keep in mind that -unless it happens in The Predator, a movie I haven’t seen - glover is, iirc, the only predator MC who actually 1v1s a predator and unambiguously wins in more or less a straight fight. No trickery, no guile, no teammates (busey don’t count, the predator gets a flawless victory on his whole team) and no traps, just a straight up bloody brutal shootout across half of LA that ends with him gutting the poor bastard in a straight up melee. It’s absolutely wild to think about but it’s somehow true.

Part of it is complete bullshit, though. Glover isn't and can't do much to it in general besides annoy it at first.

Then the Predator stands on the edge of a building mid battle and starts dancing or something for a good two minutes for no reason whatsoever with his back to Glover, so Glover bull-rushes it off the side of the building, which leads to the whole thing with it losing its arm and running away.

There was just some guy on social media whining that this Predator was weak as compared to the one in 1 (as part of a ton of people now misreading Predator 1 and think it's a machismo movie (!?) while this one is woke...) because people were hurting it with hand to hand weapons while Arnold wasn't hurting the one in 1 at all. That caused me to make a whole list of people hurting or killing them hand to hand. Just for "killing" and ignoring things like Walton Goggin's shanking the hell out of one:

Danny Glover (killed with disc)
Yakuza Guy (killed with sword)
Adrien Brody (beat the hell out of it, beheaded it)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s cool that Harrigan got got by the predator after he shot him, and instead of finishing it he walked up and ducked around with his mask, so when the predator was doing the same to him he stuck.

Harrigan rules

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prey is the best Predator movie by a country mile, if we're being at all honest with ourselves.

Predator 2 has like a couple neat shots, but is otherwise 'from the director of Lost In Space (1998)'. Nothing worse than an unfunny comedy.

Prey
AV|P:R
Predator
DNA
AVP
Predator 2

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Prey is the best Predator movie by a country mile, if we're being at all honest with ourselves.

Predator 2 has like a couple neat shots, but is otherwise 'from the director of Lost In Space (1998)'. Nothing worse than an unfunny comedy.

Prey
AV|P:R
Predator
DNA
AVP
Predator 2

What made you put AVP R second?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Spacebump posted:

It's basically a redo of Predator 2's more interesting concepts with better cinematography, better writing, better editing, better effects, no winking at the audience, etc. Instead of the lame Aliens references in Predator 2, they have the actual aliens in there acting reprehensible.

Like, the P2 scene where they recreate the hive ambush from Aliens is just embarrassing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

“Better cinematography” sure is one wild hot take lmao

Thinking AvPR is better than Predator2 on any of those things is, uh, it sure is an opinion someone can have

Like I know it’s a contrarian troll post but still

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 9, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's not contrarian it's just not the typical opinion.

I remember SMG really liked that movie, and wrote up a good cohesive post on why. It made me enjoy it more in retrospect, but I still wasn't fond of it at all. Still, I had absolutely despised it on first viewing - so really, that's quite a victory!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To each their own I guess. Then again, Poe’s Law, etc

And for the record I like (elements of) AvPR and have been meaning to rewatch it, but the cinematography ain’t among them lol

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 9, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just wish AVPR had better lighting. It def has some good action sequences.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not contrarian it's just not the typical opinion.

I remember SMG really liked that movie, and wrote up a good cohesive post on why. It made me enjoy it more in retrospect, but I still wasn't fond of it at all. Still, I had absolutely despised it on first viewing - so really, that's quite a victory!

AVP:R is also very comic-booky like Preadator 2 - it's just lacking too much interesting going on with the camera. People and creatures leave and exit frames either weirdly or in very dull ways and the shots are kind of TV-like in general.

When you can see the movie, that is. I haven't really *seen* it since the theater.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I will agree that AvPR has some cool action and I genuinely do wish it would get a proper home release that fixed the lighting so it’s more watchable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Daniel Pearl (Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974 & 2003), Friday The 13th remake, Mom and Dad) is a much better cinematographer than Peter Levy (Lost In Space 1998, Torque, The Reaping).

The darkness of the image in AV|P:R's home release is not due to the cinematography, but to botched color grading by the studio. It's easily corrected by just upping the brightness a bit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Avpr taps into the xtreme 90s vibe I was looking for out of a avp story

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spacebump posted:

"It looks like murky dogshit on purpose so it's great"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

"It looks like murky dogshit on purpose so it's great"

The home release looks like dogshit because film companies gently caress up transfers on dark films too often. Godzilla (2014) had the same issue

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

That's why I prefer it to AVP. AVP1 was like, a boring human-centered story when all I wanted was space warriors fighting space bugs. AVPR delivered that.

I wouldn't call it a great movie or better than Predator 2, but I also love Predator 2 a lot. I rate Predator 2 above most of the other movies based on the soundtrack alone and how it made the predator feel like a force of inevitable doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Je_aKPI8I&t=60s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Xcz4HAQLM&t=115s

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Predator 2 (and Predator 1) have fantastic soundtracks by Alan Silvestri.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

“Better cinematography” sure is one wild hot take lmao

Thinking AvPR is better than Predator2 on any of those things is, uh, it sure is an opinion someone can have

Like I know it’s a contrarian troll post but still

I watched AVP 2 last night (I forget if that's requiem or not) and as a meat and potatoes slasher movie where you are never asked once to care about human characters, it's pretty good. Or more accurately, despite all of its deep flaws as a movie, it's still a lot better than AVP 1.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If I'm picking a Predator movie to watch at this point I'm likely picking Prey or Predator 2. AVP2 and Og Predator would be further down on my list and the rest are unlisted.

Prey was so loving good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MacheteZombie posted:

Right; Predator 2 is touted as extreme 90s, but it has all the pitfalls of actual 1990s content. It's like a worse Robocop 2. They have a goddamned "swearing granny" gag that goes on for like five minutes while Danny Glover awkwardly climbs down a drain-pipe.

But the bigger issue is, like, what's the story? Glover is vaguely afraid of heights but overcomes it because "it's personal"? He doesn't even seem to care that this is an alien (a fact that's only revealed to him one hour into the film). The 'voodoo' thing is undercooked. The 'veneration of pregnant women' thing is like a blip that's immediately dropped. Thematically, there's only an implication that everyone's crazy because they're on drugs(!!!).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FWIW I find it really funny that you can currently watch every predator movie on Hulu right now except The Predator, which despite being extremely bad, is not AVP 1, a movie that sounds like they had to re-do all of the dialogue in ADR.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right; Predator 2 is touted as extreme 90s, but it has all the pitfalls of actual 1990s content. It's like a worse Robocop 2. They have a goddamned "swearing granny" gag that goes on for like five minutes while Danny Glover awkwardly climbs down a drain-pipe.

But the bigger issue is, like, what's the story? Glover is vaguely afraid of heights but overcomes it because "it's personal"? He doesn't even seem to care that this is an alien (a fact that's only revealed to him one hour into the film). The 'voodoo' thing is undercooked. The 'veneration of pregnant women' thing is like a blip that's immediately dropped. Thematically, there's only an implication that everyone's crazy because they're on drugs(!!!).

Predator 2 is really stupid, but mostly on purpose. And yes it's basically the same exact genre as Robocop 1/2 except not really as good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am very shocked at how many people are rating the original Predator as a mid-tier Predator movie, but that's cool. It's always been the nearly-untouchable king to me. Prey is the closest they've gotten to that level, it's a very good movie in its own right and a great Predator movie, and I really want to see what they do next, so by that account it's a total victory. Congrats to Dan T, I had a problem with one scene but beyond that he won over this old nerd graybeard.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

AVPR literally listened to the fans and gave them everything they asked for after AVP was so grossly disappointing. It is schlock of the highest order and i was entertained (until the mouth rape of the pregnant women but what can ya do)

looking forward to checking out Prey, honestly AVP and the "The Predator" were the only eye rollingly bad ones to me. Everything else Predator is at least alright and generally fun. The OG is still the best "film" of the bunch to me though, although 2 is a lot of fun and has a great fever dream quality to it.

Honestly AVP is really the only one i truly think flat out sucks. The Predator had some goofy comedy that didn't fit and it's a bad movie but it had some entertainment. AVP1 generally just made me mad I watched it with how they treated well, everything.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 9, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My only real complaint with Prey is the total overhaul redesign of the Predator’s face, it was so drastic that I found it nearly distracting. It also felt really unnecessary.

As for my favorite Predator movie, the first one is a better film but the second one is all around more entertaining and has more Predator stuff in it, so I flip-flop a bit depending on what I’m in the mood to watch.

I think Prey and Predators will likewise flip flop for third and fourth depending on my mood, but I still like them both quite a bit though for different reasons.

The Predator is a mess but I’m still entertained by a lot of it; I don’t regret seeing it, buying it, or rewatching it, though it is firmly at the bottom of the pile.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xenomrph posted:

My only real complaint with Prey is the total overhaul redesign of the Predator’s face, it was so drastic that I found it nearly distracting. It also felt really unnecessary.

The director said that this Yautja was from a different hemisphere or different clan or something, and was deliberately trying to invoke the same reaction that audiences had to the original Predator. "Oh what's it look like uncloaked" -> "oh what's it look like unmasked?" -> "gross!" progression. It's not actually supposed to be a redesign, just a way of keeping some mystery about the Predator.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I am very shocked at how many people are rating the original Predator as a mid-tier Predator movie, but that's cool. It's always been the nearly-untouchable king to me. Prey is the closest they've gotten to that level, it's a very good movie in its own right and a great Predator movie, and I really want to see what they do next, so by that account it's a total victory. Congrats to Dan T, I had a problem with one scene but beyond that he won over this old nerd graybeard.

Coming right out of the movie I put prey behind the OG and P2 but the more I think about it the more I realize I'd rather rewatch it than watch the OG again. I think the OG is better than AVP2 but I find the mean spiritedness of AVP2 more entertaining.

I also haven't rewatched og and avp2 in several years. Watched Predator 2 earlier this year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The director said that this Yautja was from a different hemisphere or different clan or something, and was deliberately trying to invoke the same reaction that audiences had to the original Predator. "Oh what's it look like uncloaked" -> "oh what's it look like unmasked?" -> "gross!" progression. It's not actually supposed to be a redesign, just a way of keeping some mystery about the Predator.

I was disappointed with the updated look of the cloaking technology but I really liked the predator redesign and wished they went farther with it instead of just giving us laser bolt thrower shoulder cannon and metal mesh net again.

I also really wished he used the arm shield as a fan to cool off with at some point

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 9, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That’s fair, I just personally wish it wasn’t so extreme.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Prey loving ruled. I tend to get overenthusiastic in the honeymoon period after watching a movie I like, but as things stand I actually prefer it to the original. Intense, quiet, "show don't tell" action movies hit my brain like an opioid milkshake, and this delivered on pretty much every level--good performances, effective cinematography, strong story, excellent action sequences, There Is A Dog. The CGI is dubious in places but that's nowhere near a dealbreaker. I can't speak to any of the actual historical content, but it was extremely satisfying to see some colonial-era Europeans (fr*nch no less) get brutally got. The one with the net? Against the fallen tree? gently caress that.

Predator is hands down a classic. I don't remember anything about P2, Predators, or AVP, other than they suck. I didn't see The Predator. AVP:R is intensely mean-spirited garbage, easily in contention for the most unnecessarily vicious franchise blockbuster ever made, frequently borders on the actual grotesque, and also I kinda love it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

AVPR literally listened to the fans and gave them everything they asked for after AVP was so grossly disappointing. It is schlock of the highest order and i was entertained (until the mouth rape of the pregnant women but what can ya do)

I can never watch AVPR again is what I can do. What a grossly mean-spirited movie, and I'm saying that from well within horror fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If the entire movie was as inspired and Gigeresque as Predalien, Mouth-Rapist at Large you might have a classic on your hands.

I also don't really consider the movie mean-spirited, what's so cruel about relieving this town of unlikeable idiots of their mortal coils?