Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’ve been messing around with Osiris: New Dawn since its latest experimental patch. I still can’t quite recommend it, but it does seem to still be in active development.

It’s another one in the “survive an alien world” sub-genre, but very pretty. I think there’s more than one world but it’s so broken at the moment that I don’t know what it takes to get into space.

Are there other games in this sub genre that are actually good? I quite like the idea of building a safe harbor on a hostile world.

Empyrion, maybe Icarus though Icarus is a bit of a stretch, it's mostly Earth pretending to be another planet.

e: I played Osiris: New Dawn about a year ago and got to space and it's extremely weird and janky they way they handle space and travel between planets, or was at the time. I stopped playing at that point because the other planets weren't that different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’ve been messing around with Osiris: New Dawn since its latest experimental patch. I still can’t quite recommend it, but it does seem to still be in active development.

It’s another one in the “survive an alien world” sub-genre, but very pretty. I think there’s more than one world but it’s so broken at the moment that I don’t know what it takes to get into space.

Are there other games in this sub genre that are actually good? I quite like the idea of building a safe harbor on a hostile world.

As RandomBlue said, Empyrion is extremely that. It spent a long time in EA, and still feels like when I last dipped in. I think it is a ok game, but I'm unsure about how finished it is.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Holy poo poo, they’re still working on Osiris New Dawn?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Another PZ question - how many rain collector barrels do you think are needed for one person to comfortably survive on? I'm trying to scrounge bin bags, but it's slow going.
I'm hoping I can get three barrels up and running on my raised water platform very soon, with a comfortable max of seven if I really need that many. (Then probably another off near where I'm growing crops, just to use the tainted water for watering plants)

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I've recently gone on an Empyrion binge and it's still as EA feeling as ever. It's a good game, but jank lives in it's heart and soul. The uh, recent changes to the early game are -pretty- bad tho, getting better now that they're fleshing the new starting regions out a bit (and actually making the quests work on all but the easiest starting option) but still.

The new player experience is currently the worst it's been in a long time. They've always had issues with tutorials and they've once again scrapped everything and tried anew from the ground up, using a kind of dynamic system instead of preset do x then y then z, but it's pretty bad at figuring where you are and keeping track of what your doing, can't actually check that you've done certain things properly, and sometimes fucks up completely: for example it got stuck and every time I placed a block it tried to teach me about generators.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Another PZ question - how many rain collector barrels do you think are needed for one person to comfortably survive on? I'm trying to scrounge bin bags, but it's slow going.
I'm hoping I can get three barrels up and running on my raised water platform very soon, with a comfortable max of seven if I really need that many. (Then probably another off near where I'm growing crops, just to use the tainted water for watering plants)

I like 3, it's very easy to plumb 3 to one already-existing sink and that's really a lot of water. I like to put 2 more by my crops but that's optional

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I really rate the Reforged Eden scenario for Empyrion over vanilla. It comes with a ton of mostly good balance changes (thruster and CPU tier changes most notably) and a lot of interesting community POIs to explore. It smooths out the early game and lengthens the mid to end game. It even comes with a revamped tutorial and wiki system.

The jank is still there but less noticeable when you have a bunch of stuff to do!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

piano chimp posted:

I really rate the Reforged Eden scenario for Empyrion over vanilla. It comes with a ton of mostly good balance changes (thruster and CPU tier changes most notably) and a lot of interesting community POIs to explore. It smooths out the early game and lengthens the mid to end game. It even comes with a revamped tutorial and wiki system.

The jank is still there but less noticeable when you have a bunch of stuff to do!

Same feelings here, after awhile checking out the new vanilla stuff I switched back haha. Making structural blocks not cost CPU (and increasing costs of functional blocks to compensate) is the single best change it does, you can actually separate out building big with building functional. Putting on an extra layer of armor will no longer cripple your ship if your already toeing the line. That and removing cpu tiers and instead just having the extenders flat add extra cpu power gives allot more wiggle room if you can't afford a full set and means if only one extender gets blown off your ship is no longer completely hosed.

My only complaint about it is some of the quest POI's added in are just bad. Notable the incomplete infected questline has some real loving sad design, the colony ship needs like, six more design and content passes before I'd even consider it releasable lol.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I like 3, it's very easy to plumb 3 to one already-existing sink and that's really a lot of water. I like to put 2 more by my crops but that's optional

Cool, thanks! So regarding plumbing, they need to be above and adjacent right? I've got a 3x3 platform with a sink below the centre tile - if I have a rain barrel to the south, west and east (north being the access point to the platform, so I'd like to keep it open) that'll work OK, right? Since from what I understand, once I place the barrels I'll need to plumb the sink with a pipe wrench to connect them, right? Sorry - I've never done it before. In the past I've just boiled water like a sucker, so I'd like to set this up properly, at least once

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I make a 3x3 square of rain barrels because i like my character having clean clothes

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

dogstile posted:

I make a 3x3 square of rain barrels because i like my character having clean clothes

This mod is a godsend for hemophobics and clean clothes-enjoyers. It adjusts the volume of water required to hand wash clothing by the size of the item - currently washing a pair of socks takes the same amount of water as a jacket.

Makes water management much easier and lets you get a full clothes wash out of showers, baths, sinks etc. when the water gets shut off.

Major Isoor posted:

Cool, thanks! So regarding plumbing, they need to be above and adjacent right? I've got a 3x3 platform with a sink below the centre tile - if I have a rain barrel to the south, west and east (north being the access point to the platform, so I'd like to keep it open) that'll work OK, right? Since from what I understand, once I place the barrels I'll need to plumb the sink with a pipe wrench to connect them, right? Sorry - I've never done it before. In the past I've just boiled water like a sucker, so I'd like to set this up properly, at least once

I think it just needs to be above within a 3x3 area of where your sink is - I usually place mine directly above a sink. I'm not sure if you can plumb in multiple barrels to the same sink so would be good to find out!

Correct regarding the pipe wrench, just right click the sink with it and you'll get a "Plumb sink" option. The sink needs to be in an enclosed area in order to be able to plumb it, unless that's changed recently.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 9, 2022

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
For PZ, I would not recommend setting Zombies to Insane at all. I did as was discussed earlier and gave them no memory, poor sight, and poor hearing, and there are just too many of them to be fun. Every house has a group of 5-10 zombies outside, which means you'll also pull a couple of other groups if you try to fight them. If you try to do the "walk away and break line of sight" thing, you'll just keep encountering more groups. I walked from one end of Muldragh to the other without getting clear, again with very dumb zombies. If you do clear an area, other groups will wander in overnight so you're either always running or in combat. It does introduce a sort of smash and grab strategy where you try to get enough space to hit a kitchen and maybe a closet on the ground floor of a building, but it ultimately makes everything a chore.

I set them to High and it was too easy, so the sweet spot might be Very High. Or maybe the vanilla settings are the best. I just wanted to throw burning and exploding things at huge groups but I can't scrounge enough to even get molotovs.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
[PZ] new stable update dropped! https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58075-4173-released/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This isn't the big update with a lot of new systems, I'm not seeing a ton of new things in the changelog, just a whole host of welcome bugfixes to make multiplayer more stable.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Spanj, a popular youtuber guy, gushes for an hour over the new Stranded at Nemesis scenario for Empyrion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGFcpkKOUY

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I haven't checked that out yet, I should.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

Spanj, a popular youtuber guy, gushes for an hour over the new Stranded at Nemesis scenario for Empyrion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGFcpkKOUY

:actually:

excuse me, this video is 58 minutes long.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

finding a car to use exclusively as a weapon until the wheels literally fall off has made PZ a slight percentage easier, except if the wheels fall off while in the middle of a horde

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you want to thin out your zombie horde numbers and don't have molotovs or other firebomb type things you can just make campfires y'know.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Flesh Forge posted:

If you want to thin out your zombie horde numbers and don't have molotovs or other firebomb type things you can just make campfires y'know.

tell me more

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a fun example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdCBIJyM5gY
e: this doesn't show the setup I remember him doing, oops

here's a more direct tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfx6RrBX5g

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

a fun example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdCBIJyM5gY
e: this doesn't show the setup I remember him doing, oops

here's a more direct tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfx6RrBX5g
Oh poo poo that's a pretty cool tip!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

that's hilarious, I can't wait to accidentally burn down a city/forest somehow doing it

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

QuarkJets posted:

Can I plumb them into the sink inside my house?

I think I'm going to start a new world where zombie infection is bite only. I don't like not knowing if I have a zombie infection or a regular one and just waiting around for a week to find out. Aside from that I'm loving the game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Found the hole in the fence near Louisville and the military camp :getin:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Molotov cocktails are very easy to make, iirc you only need some gas in a gas can, a ripped sheet, and any kind of large glass bottle (empty wine or bourbon bottles work, but empty bourbon bottles are the best container for water)

I read through the patch notes and it saw a ton of tweaking and adding recipes for Cooking. It sounds like cocktails are a thing now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Travic posted:

Can I plumb them into the sink inside my house?

I think I'm going to start a new world where zombie infection is bite only. I don't like not knowing if I have a zombie infection or a regular one and just waiting around for a week to find out. Aside from that I'm loving the game.

Yes, you can. The barrels should be outside and uncovered, so that they catch rain. As was mentioned earlier, the 3x3 area above a sink can be plumbed to that sink. If there's roof above a sink, that should be easy enough to figure out. If it's a first floor sink on a 2-story house, then you're still in business so long as the sink is along an outer wall (this is common for kitchen sinks). You can open a second story window and build wood floors along the outside of the house from the second story until you reach the tiles above that sink, then place some barrels there and plumb the sink. Or build stairs and do the same thing

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Awesome thanks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vintage Story: I found a commodities trader and survival goods trader as a little duo with a campfire that they wander around on, I am definitely uprooting myself and building my village around them. I am ridiculously excited over this find. It's also in a decent to good copper and ultra rich cassiterite spot with olivine/quartz surface deposits and a bauxite biome just south.

Maybe I'll actually get to steel this time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am looking forward to making onigiri in PZ, then go kill some zombs with my katana. Anime body pillow when?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

That is the getup of someone ready to mow down some zombies :hai:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

That is the getup of someone ready to mow down some zombies :hai:

I just see someone with low tailoring skill.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

lunar detritus posted:

I've never managed to level up tailoring even ONCE yet.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

Yeah this is me too, on the 'low tailoring' front. :v: Never really bothered with it tbh - I've been stockpiling clothes from zombie bodies this playthrough though, so I aim to fix that.
Now that I think about it, is there anything in particular that's recommended to keep an eye out for, to use for tailoring by any chance? Like, are leather jackets (for example) the best source of leather scraps? Stuff like that. Since aside from general weapons maintenance, carpentry, metalworking and a little farming, I'm pretty much out of my depth with some of these skills.

EDIT: I think you should be able to get around needing to frequently replace/repair clothing though, by going shirtless and oiling/greasing yourself up like Willie from the Simpsons, to level an 'unarmoured' skillset conferring additional buffs. Those zombies won't be able to get any purchase to scratch or bite you at all! :D haha

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 10, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tailoring is the worst skill to level, it's due for a balance pass. Even the tapes are mostly Home VHS, meaning you can only find them in houses with a low chance.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is tailoring worth leveling in the first place? I usually just replace any clothes that get hosed up

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I recently got my singleplayer character to 8 tailoring and was able to fully restore my military coat (which I've only found two of), so I feel like it was worth it. Also as time progresses it feels like intact clothing on zombies gets rarer and rarer.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah this is me too, on the 'low tailoring' front. :v: Never really bothered with it tbh - I've been stockpiling clothes from zombie bodies this playthrough though, so I aim to fix that.
Now that I think about it, is there anything in particular that's recommended to keep an eye out for, to use for tailoring by any chance? Like, are leather jackets (for example) the best source of leather scraps? Stuff like that. Since aside from general weapons maintenance, carpentry, metalworking and a little farming, I'm pretty much out of my depth with some of these skills.

Leather jackets are the main source of leather strips. There are gloves, too, but those are pretty uncommon. There are biker leather jackets with cute characters on the back, those are obviously the best to hold onto and wear. I usually like to wear 1 jacket, keep a spare or two in my base, and rip up everything else

The best way to get thread is to just stand on a bunch of zombie corpses and rip their clothes. You get a little bit of experience and each torn garment has a chance to produce thread. You can right click on a stack of thread and merge it all together, to reduce weight. If you select "Rip All" or whatever on a piece of clothing, you will rip all clothes of the same type within reach that you haven't Favorited. Leather, denim, and cloth are the three types.

Leather patches are an easy way to add protection. Denim gives half as much protection. The protection scales linearly with skill; it's substantial at 10 skill but that's hard to reach.

At level 8 you can repair holes, which is a gamechanger. Holes provide no protection, so normally you have to replace clothes that get ripped if you don't want to lose protection. This plus leather patches make tailoring a desirable skill, it's just a pain to level

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Leather jackets are the main source of leather strips. There are gloves, too, but those are pretty uncommon. There are biker leather jackets with cute characters on the back, those are obviously the best to hold onto and wear. I usually like to wear 1 jacket, keep a spare or two in my base, and rip up everything else

The best way to get thread is to just stand on a bunch of zombie corpses and rip their clothes. You get a little bit of experience and each torn garment has a chance to produce thread. You can right click on a stack of thread and merge it all together, to reduce weight. If you select "Rip All" or whatever on a piece of clothing, you will rip all clothes of the same type within reach that you haven't Favorited. Leather, denim, and cloth are the three types.

Leather patches are an easy way to add protection. Denim gives half as much protection. The protection scales linearly with skill; it's substantial at 10 skill but that's hard to reach.

At level 8 you can repair holes, which is a gamechanger. Holes provide no protection, so normally you have to replace clothes that get ripped if you don't want to lose protection. This plus leather patches make tailoring a desirable skill, it's just a pain to level

Right, cool - thanks! And yeah, agreed on the biker jackets with animals on the backs. My Boris the Badger mascot and Spiffo backpack are good examples of this! :D Good tip on shredding zombie clothes, too. Whenever I have some time I'll need to do that, to collect thread. Since up until now I've just been pilfering whatever is is good nick, but yeah, shredding the other crap is a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Danaru posted:

Is tailoring worth leveling in the first place? I usually just replace any clothes that get hosed up

the big appeal of it is just sewing more poo poo on top of everything until it becomes a foot thick wall of cloth on every part of your body that zombies can't easily bite/scratch through