Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They're a tiny school in a small town in Texas. What we see of it is they're playing an archaic style of football (hence going to state once), best described as the old adage, "three yards and a cloud of dust." Hank was just the biggest fish in a tiny, tiny pond and would've stood no chance playing college ball.

But it's rural Texas, so ball is life and you get the reverence Al Bundy wishes he got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

namlosh posted:

I think it was a writers mistake. I played a lot of football at a small high school in Ohio and I ran a 5.7 40 and I was a lineman. Fast times were in the low-mid 4’s and this was in the 90’s. We made it to state semi-finals one year before getting our asses handed to us. We were also in the smallest division.

Is it ever mentioned what division Arlen High is in? I assume TX has divisions like Ohio based on male enrollment at the time. Maybe they were in a smaller division where that 40 time wouldn’t have mattered a ton idk

Yeah their approach to Hank's high school football career doesn't make sense and is just whatever it needs to be to fit the story. I guess they were a rush only offense for Hank to have an untouchable yardage record and Bill to also have a TD record. Maybe Hank was constantly getting tackled at the one yard line?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Arlen's a p big town I think so I assume it's in one of the higher divisions.

Yeah, whatever the level is with the size of Texas and the intensity of their football programs making it to state at any level would be huge.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The present football stuff has always been inconsistent just because it’s 2 in universe years over 10+ seasons.

Sometimes they have a team that has a high chance of making it to state, other times they get their butts kicked by McMaynerberry

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's just fandom baby. Every year you're going to the playoffs until the season starts and you find out you're the Lions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Arlen is apparently 1400 to 140000 people lmao. In show too

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, how small and how rural it is varies wildly over the course of the show. I don't think they ever varied on Hank making it to state but losing, though. That's a core bit of his backstory.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lol I didn't know that. They'd need to have multiple high schools with that many people but not sure if Hank's school ever plays an in-town rival. I mean I know it's TV and they have whatever the plot needs, same with how Springfield has army, navy, and air force bases but the military isn't a core part of their economy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's also simultaneously a feasible drive to to Dallas to buy crack and a feasible drive to Mexico

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
funniest part about the football flashbacks to me is Boomhower calling audibles.

You'd expect the entire team to just totally run off in random directions and poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hawowanlawow posted:

it's also simultaneously a feasible drive to to Dallas to buy crack and a feasible drive to Mexico

I thought he bought the crack in arlen

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Traxis posted:

Hank ran the 40 in 5.9 seconds which is very slow

Extremely slow if you consider coach apparently gave them all amphetamines

Edit: and salt tablets

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Hank played football in the 70s. Big ol power backs hammering away. Also you're overthinking a show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

if Peggy has her mom on speed dial how come they haven't talked in 15 years

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

bobjr posted:

Hank had the rushing yards record, Bill the touchdown record.

A few comments over the series imply Hank’s record isn’t easy to beat, as college bound athletes in the current time aren’t breaking it

That's just like some baseball records that were scored over poor pitching or w/e.

If you're a dece basketball player against a league of dwarfs in 1972 and your scoring average is 78 points per game (idk w/e stats nerds) it's gonna be hard to beat in 1998 where everyone is playing good defense and can reach the basket or w/e.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did I miss a scene (very possible) or is there some incredible visual storytelling in the softball episode where peggy pitches for strickland and gets the yips. After getting back home you can see the windshield glass on the truck is broken. She has to be stopped

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

theyre supposed to be between DFW and Austin and Kahn commutes to Houston every day

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

theyre supposed to be between DFW and Austin and Kahn commutes to Houston every day

they have been called South Texans a few times

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

South Texas Pig Jockies.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pig jockey! Works for rib tips!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Hank played football in the 70s. Big ol power backs hammering away. Also you're overthinking a show.

im not on page 253 of the king of the hipl thread for a casual discussion

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Robo Reagan posted:

im not on page 253 of the king of the hipl thread for a casual discussion

Okay.

Hank Hill was born in 1957, meaning he entered high school most likely in 1972 or so. Typically, especially in a high school setting, football players are going to not play as freshman, slightly more play as sophmores, etc, as starting spots are filled with upperclassmen as they graduate out. As it's suburbia Texas, you're going to see a higher rate of people joining the military, even something as unpopular as Vietnam. 1973 was the last year Americans were drafted into the military and the Vietnam war continued until 1975. Many with an inkling towards service would volunteer rather then waiting to be drafted, so the most likely reason why Hank Hill holds Arlen's rushing records are that the upper classmen were more likely to have left school early, freeing up a chance for Hank to play running back from early on in his high school career and pad his stats.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

nice

is koth still getting a reboot like I heard

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The official word is that they are open to a reboot. Nothing has been confirmed or quashed yet.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There'll probably be a reboot eventually and it'll probably be terrible but at least the thread will have something new to talk about.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Was there not a formal announcement that it's already in production or something?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a clickbait article with a headline that came out at SDCC or another con recently that suggested it was back, but it was just a clip of Judge at the Beavis and Butthead panel saying they'd love to bring KoTH back without any actual confirmation.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You could lie down with your legs across a train track.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

namlosh posted:

I think it was a writers mistake. I played a lot of football at a small high school in Ohio and I ran a 5.7 40 and I was a lineman. Fast times were in the low-mid 4’s and this was in the 90’s. We made it to state semi-finals one year before getting our asses handed to us. We were also in the smallest division.

Is it ever mentioned what division Arlen High is in? I assume TX has divisions like Ohio based on male enrollment at the time. Maybe they were in a smaller division where that 40 time wouldn’t have mattered a ton idk

I think it makes for the best story if Hank usually ran faster than that, but his official 40 time came on a recruiting visit to SMU, where the wild partying the coaches foisted upon him left him in no condition to run the next day. This motivated Hank to blow the lid off the Pony Express scandal.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Boomhaur got a full ride to BYU, got expelled for getting laid.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

bobjr posted:

Boomhaur got a full ride to BYU, got expelled for getting laid.

Dang ol tabernacle choir man, robes for days man you know I mean.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Moon Monster posted:

You could lie down with your legs across a train track.

That actually works out about right for a typical 150 lb person

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/jimmy-tangos-fat-busters/2861295

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

dolphinbomb posted:

There'll probably be a reboot eventually and it'll probably be terrible but at least the thread will have something new to talk about.

For most shows I'd agree but Judge has a strong reboot record. I liked the 2011 Beavis & Butthead and the newest version, so the usual concerns about a creator voicing the same characters decades later should be manageable. Plus guessing he's doing fine financially and creatively so it's not like it is his only option so that would help to give them more breathing room for making the show interesting.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It'll be sad to recast luanne though

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Mr. Lobe posted:

Just have Peggy interrupt her whenever she is about to say something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

Maybe when the show returns it’ll be revealed that Gracie now the older sister to a set of twins named Brittany and Tom. :unsmith:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think you have to write her and Lucky out. You don’t have to have them be dead, but some explanation for them not being around anymore.

If they are aging the characters and you go with the dead route, you can have their daughter and Good Hank as the Bobby-aged characters.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

X JAKK posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

X JAKK posted:

Works for a movie or special, but if she's a regular it's going to get tired quick, and reusing old lines always feels disrespectful if it's not just to wrap up a loose end and get the character's arc finished.