Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah i think you're right. sub in "white people diseases" instead

crazy how a drop of at least 50 million in the 16th century doesn't even really put a dent in global population graphs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Didn't syphilis travel the other way?

Nope, it was in Europe as far back as 1320.

Article

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

i say swears online posted:

no matter precolombian societal disintegration, i think transmissable diseases did 90% of the work, and i think some US scholarship of precolombian cultures is biased to perpetuate an idea of open wilderness for settlement

that stuff is older than the US - we can look at maps from the 1600s, and maps intended for consumption by Europeans in Europe show at most rivers and mountains, while maps intended for Europeans in the Americas are absolutely thick with knowledge about the people who lived there, like this from 1632

the claims that the americas were just land for the taking by europeans was not scientific ignorance but political advocacy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tulip posted:

that stuff is older than the US - we can look at maps from the 1600s, and maps intended for consumption by Europeans in Europe show at most rivers and mountains, while maps intended for Europeans in the Americas are absolutely thick with knowledge about the people who lived there, like this from 1632

the claims that the americas were just land for the taking by europeans was not scientific ignorance but political advocacy

good post ty

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Tulip posted:

the other big thing they did was switch from "king/kingdom" to "chief/tribe"

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Speleothing posted:

Zero academic rigor?

When's the book coming out?

Audiobook obviously.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Article

Which could be explained by either Norse or Basque contact. It's an open question afaik.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Article

guess the real vinland saga was the pox we caught along the way

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i kind of feel like a paper titled "A Probable Case of Congenital Syphilis from Pre-Columbian Austria" that catalogues skeletal lesions to a single child's teeth and mouth while noting that such damage could be caused by three different treponematoses, one of which is syphilis, may not be an entire slam dunk on the columbian theory; and perhaps one might wait for confirmation through molecular biological tests and proteomics, like the article posted recommends.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

the other big thing they did was switch from "king/kingdom" to "chief/tribe"

Yeah

There's a cool thing in Dawn of Everything where its unambiguous that Cortes, not exactly a nice or sensitive man, is at least aware enough to recognize the distinctions between kingdoms, empires, and republics among the groups he encounters, which shows a hell of a lot more respect than my HS textbook would ever give.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its worth remembering that contrary to popular belief the conquest was more of a political victory than a military one cortes took advantage of preexisting conflict to present himself and his followers as neutrally aligned soldiers of fortune it didnt occur to anyone that there were more white people where he came from who could take advantage of the postwar chaos period to enslave them even worse than the aztecs did

our history books dont like going over this angle because it makes the conquistadors look less like incredible manly warriors with gigantic penises and more like duplicitous liars who owe their success entirely to the abuse of diplomatic privilege

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1553851619908911104

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
submitting MA house bill 253 that Elizabeth Johnson Jr WAS a witch and that that’s totally badass actually.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lio7sp45IXY

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Didn't syphilis travel the other way?

no
https://twitter.com/MPI_SHH/status/1271005580933595139?t=ZreOju4efJFkZ5NTW-9yhw&s=19
https://twitter.com/monicaMedHist/status/1272866528245936128?t=Jg0TfzMX2aFJL3h5bgr1gg&s=19
https://twitter.com/some_wise/status/1547583602421932036?t=gGpy2vuGKfsqsFnq6UoYfA&s=19

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Guy TT posted:

its worth remembering that contrary to popular belief the conquest was more of a political victory than a military one cortes took advantage of preexisting conflict to present himself and his followers as neutrally aligned soldiers of fortune it didnt occur to anyone that there were more white people where he came from who could take advantage of the postwar chaos period to enslave them even worse than the aztecs did

our history books dont like going over this angle because it makes the conquistadors look less like incredible manly warriors with gigantic penises and more like duplicitous liars who owe their success entirely to the abuse of diplomatic privilege

It's actually even more awkward than that, since the Spanish did honor a fair number of their diplomatic agreements, most famously with Tlaxcala but also with Totonacs, even well post-conquest. "The Spanish didn't win by their own hand, AND they had some diplomatic honor about it" isn't convenient at all.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Those are all about yaws or drawings of pig men. Yaws is not syphilis and is generally thought to have originated in Africa.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/met_armsarmor/status/1556601239453958144?t=MsRgBlfzu3UmEkRf4GJRPQ&s=19

The floor is now open for Assassin's Creed references.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If I had been a 17th century general I would have just given every soldier a weapon with a built-in pistol. The pike formations clash and you were expecting a horrifying scrum like the Battle of Rocroi in the last scene of Alatriste? Surprise, all my men's pikes shoot a bullet into the other guys and their front rank evaporates instantly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oops turns out the design is so dumb you can only afford six and are annihilated

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I would have just grinded repeatable side missions until I could equip my entire army before advancing the main story. :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oops turns out the design is so dumb you can only afford six and are annihilated
i feel like if you were gonna use any modernish thing, it'd be like frag grenades. just lob a bunch of them into the opposing regiment and shatter their formation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i feel like if you were gonna use any modernish thing, it'd be like frag grenades. just lob a bunch of them into the opposing regiment and shatter their formation.

even by ~1600 closing within 30 yards for a grenade would have been deadly. i think with your intent you'd be looking at grapeshot. grenades wouldn't have been as viable in the black powder era either

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

the dems defunded the police and set all the witches free smh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

even by ~1600 closing within 30 yards for a grenade would have been deadly. i think with your intent you'd be looking at grapeshot. grenades wouldn't have been as viable in the black powder era either
but you'd be shielded by a bunch of dudes all mushed together. i'm sure it'd be safer than staying in combat.

alternatively, make molotovs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

massed infantry does not shield each other from artillery with their protective limbs!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

massed infantry does not shield each other from artillery with their protective limbs!!
i don't think a fragmentation grenade has the power of artillery shot!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hits you with massive gunblade chop, goes for the finishing shot but weapon catastrophically misfires killing me due to damage sustained using it like a ax or sword

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Putting crude fireworks onto the end of lances goes back to the 1200s.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

what you gotta do is put the grenade launcher at the end of the 20 foot pike, this already existed in China and was effective enough to earn the insanely badass name "dragon lance"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
iirc that's the ancestors to modern firearms, basically fireworks on sticks you use as melee weapons. you start with these, eventually you start putting shrapnel or whatever on the tip of your bomb stick and hey we've started the long road to a modern firearm

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

grenade + sling, the ultimate marriage of modern and classic technology

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tulip posted:

grenade + sling, the ultimate marriage of modern and classic technology

this is the founding myth of the IDF

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
manually hurling an RPG using an atlatl

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
dying from a combination of ague, grippe and dropsy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twoday posted:

manually hurling an RPG using an atlatl

wire-guided boomerang

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

HIMARS: high mobility arcing rock system

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the Adam Bomb

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

they literally started doing this in the back half of the 1600s. basically they took the biggest and strongest dudes and put them in the front to hurl small grenades at the enemy, its where the term grenadier comes from

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

they literally started doing this in the back half of the 1600s. basically they took the biggest and strongest dudes and put them in the front to hurl small grenades at the enemy, its where the term grenadier comes from
wow, can't believe i'm going to invent a time machine and go back to the 1600s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Mongols also used grenades and pike formations when they invaded Japan, woulda made Ghosts of Tsushima a lot more interesting imo