Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's just stilted and weird and there's not a way to really "correct" for it. Native English speakers/readers just won't have a....linguistic context?

Same problem with translating works from Mandarin into English or vice versa. There's only so much you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my understanding:
garnett translated by taking a sheet off of a big stack of pages of russian texts, translating it, and then putting the sheet in the "done" pile.
p&v translated by translating directly into english in one go, then having a second person translate the literal translation into more conversational english with to the original text.

the ideal translation is, of course, to follow in my father's footstep and graduate from the patrice lumumba people's friendship university in moscow and read it directly in russian and then communicate it in half-remembered english to your offspring

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Any thoughts on the Rebhorn translation for The Decameron? Or the Oxford edition translated by Guido Waldman?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Idaholy Roller posted:

Is there a particular translation one should aim for Brothers K?

I read the Ignat Avsey translation first time, then I bought the P&V translation after I had been indoctrinated by mainstream media/bookstores to believe they were the best translation. After researching it a bit, Constance Garnett / Ignat Avsey / David Magarshack seem to be the best translations.

Honestly I would do some research as there's been a lot of comparisons posted whether it's reddit or the New Yorker; by checking those out you should be able to decide which version you will get through the best.

Idaholy Roller posted:

Someone choose my next Dostoyevsky I’m undecided between Brothers K or Demons

I was about to pickup Demons for first time even though I bought it a very long time ago even before I had any other Dostovevsky book, but Brothers Karamazov is my favorite novel of all time along with War & Peace. I'll recommend Karamazov to end of time.

knox fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 30, 2022

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the nefarious mainstream media peddling p&v translations

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
i read p&v translations of Demons & Notes From The Underground. I remember both being fine.
Altho with notes from the underground, I read their translation notes after and they talk about being particularly proud of their use of the word “profit” in the first bit which stood out to me cuz when I first read thru it I specifically got distracted by that choice. Like - what meaning of profit? And in their notes they seemed to not at all consider…u know…polysemic… may be interpreted ambiguously…etc. Basically didn’t seem to expect any one to be confused in the exact way I was confused.
So that kind of made me think - less for me.

More recently I was looking into a translation of Leskov to read & at library it was between P&V and Donald Rayfield. From comparisons online, P&V seemed like maybe the worst for leskov’s tone, Altho Rayfield also seems a little too cute in reading. Where, I’m sure, P&V would be a bit inappropriately literal. So, kind of the eternal accuracy Vs abstraction translation question. P&V for whatever faults, seem like they r more or less getting the books across and not totally going off rails. Their process, as mentioned, is straightforward enough and that comes thru in end result.

I will say, I read thru a pocket version of Sorrows Of Young Werther+ Goethe writings I got at used book store & I think that translation was specifically bad. By a “Catherine Hutter”, not that anybody is likely to stumble on her but…if u do…reader beware !

Adjacently related, the most needlessly excessive footnoting(not end!) I have ever seen was first half of Norton critical edition of Red and The Black. U really start wondering about the man behind the notes when he starts going off about how “a major theme in the book is walls” when a wall shows up, talks about specific types of tree and Stendhal relationship to trees when a tree is mentioned, etc. it’s kind of cool Pale Fire style but then seems like he had to hit a deadline and rushed thru the second half. Which, to be fair, sort of how the second half of red and the black feels.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

A human heart posted:

the nefarious mainstream media peddling p&v translations

How would you characterize an Oprah Winfrey endorsement?
Don't take my own experience of P&V being the editions shoved down everyone's throat, read the article posted on previous page or any one of the others written. And as someone already eloquently stated on previous page, though the tone of that article may be a little overly harsh, it was written against a "climate of people saying don't read anything but them." I said he should read some of the comparisons of paragraphs in any of the various discussions on Russian novel translations on goodreads or reddit or any of the critical articles doing the same, and make his own decision.

knox fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 31, 2022

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

knox posted:

Don't take my own experience of P&V being the editions shoved down everyone's throat, read the article posted on previous page or any one of the others written. And as someone already eloquently stated on previous page, though the tone of that article may be a little overly harsh, it was written against a "climate of people saying don't read anything but them." I said he should read some of the comparisons of paragraphs in any of the various discussions on Russian novel translations on goodreads or reddit or any of the critical articles doing the same, and make his own decision.

oprah certainly is mainstream but the way you're talking about it is funny

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

i read p&v translations of Demons & Notes From The Underground. I remember both being fine.
Altho with notes from the underground, I read their translation notes after and they talk about being particularly proud of their use of the word “profit” in the first bit which stood out to me cuz when I first read thru it I specifically got distracted by that choice. Like - what meaning of profit? And in their notes they seemed to not at all consider…u know…polysemic… may be interpreted ambiguously…etc. Basically didn’t seem to expect any one to be confused in the exact way I was confused.
So that kind of made me think - less for me.

More recently I was looking into a translation of Leskov to read & at library it was between P&V and Donald Rayfield. From comparisons online, P&V seemed like maybe the worst for leskov’s tone, Altho Rayfield also seems a little too cute in reading. Where, I’m sure, P&V would be a bit inappropriately literal. So, kind of the eternal accuracy Vs abstraction translation question. P&V for whatever faults, seem like they r more or less getting the books across and not totally going off rails. Their process, as mentioned, is straightforward enough and that comes thru in end result.

I will say, I read thru a pocket version of Sorrows Of Young Werther+ Goethe writings I got at used book store & I think that translation was specifically bad. By a “Catherine Hutter”, not that anybody is likely to stumble on her but…if u do…reader beware !

Adjacently related, the most needlessly excessive footnoting(not end!) I have ever seen was first half of Norton critical edition of Red and The Black. U really start wondering about the man behind the notes when he starts going off about how “a major theme in the book is walls” when a wall shows up, talks about specific types of tree and Stendhal relationship to trees when a tree is mentioned, etc. it’s kind of cool Pale Fire style but then seems like he had to hit a deadline and rushed thru the second half. Which, to be fair, sort of how the second half of red and the black feels.

I can kinda see the walls thing tbh

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

knox posted:

the article seemed fine if a little histrionic until the bit where he insists that the joke about a crook riding a crook holding a crook isn't funny because he believes for some reason that the translators didn't get their own joke or realize it was a joke. just bizarre

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Crime and Punishment was good

What’s the preferred translation of The Idiot?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

lifg posted:

Crime and Punishment was good

What’s the preferred translation of The Idiot?

Haven't had a chance to read it but I've had friends say the McDuff version's pretty good.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I read the Ignat Avsey version and enjoyed it, but that's the only version I've read so I can't compare it to anything. I read the constance garnett version of crime and punishment and loved that also

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I like the revised Garnett published by Modern Library.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i got like 3/4 through C&P and haven't finished it :(

currently going through George Saunders's A Swim in a Pond in the Rain. it's helping me get back into russian lit with short stories. i especially loved The Nose (Gogol)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Loved A Swim in a Pond in the Rain.

I finished the recent Otessa Moshfegh book called Lapvona and can't really recommend it. I liked it well enough but so many aspects of it grated. The dispassionate narration made it tough to connect with any of the characters and the dialogue all felt like it was written in the same voice. Some nice descriptions, and some funny scenes of debauchery (someone rubs a grape on their anus and feeds it to someone) but overall nothing special.

Reading a bit of non-fiction as a palate cleanser now, but thinking I might tackle Moby Dick soon. Or Anna Karenina. Hopefully having the ending spoiled won't detract. I do love me some locomotives.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Finished Mason & Dixon. I think it's better than Gravity's Rainbow. Got a couple of Ishiguro and State and Revolution by Lenin on the pile next and then I have to dive into the full collection of Encyclopedia Britannica great (western) books i got an antique shop. Lots of foundational stuff i've only read excerpts or none of in these motherfuckers

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I am nearing the end of Gravitys Rainbow and I vastly enjoyed Mason & Dixon over it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
M&D is one of Pynchon's better endings. It's sentimental, but still melancholic. Mason visiting Dixon's grave with his estranged son was some of the most emotional moments I've read from Pynchon. Having to fully understand that a person was probably your best friend, but who you kind of antagonized the entire time you were together, not realizing you're pushing away the person that knows you best, only to outlive them and realize the impact their friendship had on you. It's muddier and more complicated than the typical best friend relationships I've read.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

fridge corn posted:

I am nearing the end of Gravitys Rainbow and I vastly enjoyed Mason & Dixon over it

to be clear gravity's rainbow is also one of my absolute favorite books

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
the only pynchon i’ve read was Inherent Vice, loved it. not sure if i have the stamina for the bigger books

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
i don't think it is really productive or even possible to evaluate pynchon's books by which is "better". they are setting out to do different things and accomplish them exceedingly in each case. btw would add against the day to this conversation - recently finished my second readthrough and it is on par with gr and m+d.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

the only pynchon i’ve read was Inherent Vice, loved it. not sure if i have the stamina for the bigger books

Mason & Dixon and V. are both episodic with relatively self-contained chapters, so there really isn't a hurdle besides "keep reading". M&D is probably his most chill book.

There's only one digression in M&D that threw me for a loop, and that's about 3/4 of the way through when the book shifts focus and becomes an erotic thriller with BDSM elements for like two chapters. It's eventually cleared up that some of the kids have snuck off from the main group and are secretly reading chapters of the serial The Ghastly Fop, and the book refocuses.

(IV is still my favorite, but I do recommend all of his novels)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thehoodie posted:

i don't think it is really productive or even possible to evaluate pynchon's books by which is "better". they are setting out to do different things and accomplish them exceedingly in each case. btw would add against the day to this conversation - recently finished my second readthrough and it is on par with gr and m+d.

i was very interested to see that the phrase "against the day" appears in mason& dixon. pg 683 in my copy, when they finish the line and have just turned back east

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

There's only one digression in M&D that threw me for a loop, and that's about 3/4 of the way through when the book shifts focus and becomes an erotic thriller with BDSM elements for like two chapters. It's eventually cleared up that some of the kids have snuck off from the main group and are secretly reading chapters of the serial The Ghastly Fop, and the book refocuses.

it's even wilder than that: it happens, but then the characters from the book simply enter the main story afterwards

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thehoodie posted:

Agreed on this. M&D is my favorite but I don't think it's nearly the achievement that GR was. ATD meanwhile might just be better than both of them.

An absolutely unbelievable oeuvre. Will never see the like of it again.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Vineland doesn't get enough love.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Vineland doesn't get enough love.

When I read it, I found the Darryl Louise "DL" and Takeshi digression, which takes up about a 1/4 of the book, more and more grating. I just wanted to get back to Floyd, Prairie, or Frenesi. I also found the dynamic between Frenesi and Brock Vond hard to gel with.

I'm sure I'll appreciate it more on a re-read, knowing all of that stuff, but it was really uneven, and the ending felt rushed. I still don't fully get Frenesi and Brock's enemies-turned-fuckbuddies-but-still-enemies relationship. Made me sad that that's why Prairie doesn't have a mom.

Prairie is one of my favorite Pynchon characters, though. And Pynchon writing the 80's is great, of course.

It's a good book among a bibliography of great books.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Franchescanado posted:

When I read it, I found the Darryl Louise "DL" and Takeshi digression, which takes up about a 1/4 of the book, more and more grating. I just wanted to get back to Floyd, Prairie, or Frenesi. I also found the dynamic between Frenesi and Brock Vond hard to gel with.

I'm sure I'll appreciate it more on a re-read, knowing all of that stuff, but it was really uneven, and the ending felt rushed. I still don't fully get Frenesi and Brock's enemies-turned-fuckbuddies-but-still-enemies relationship. Made me sad that that's why Prairie doesn't have a mom.

Prairie is one of my favorite Pynchon characters, though. And Pynchon writing the 80's is great, of course.

It's a good book among a bibliography of great books.

For some reason the characters I remember best are Blood and Vato. Their theme song pops in my head all the time.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
finished the first Earthsea book yesterday, and wanted more water and ocean. grabbed the Old Man and the Sea and read it in an afternoon. quite good! this might be my first hemingway. put For Whom the Bell Tolls on my library holds next

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Old Man and the Sea is his best work imo.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Idaholy Roller posted:

Old Man and the Sea is his best work imo.

The Sun Also Rises owns

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Sandwolf posted:

The Sun Also Rises owns

It’s the best one by a long shot.

Farewell to Arms is pretty good also

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Besson posted:

It’s the best one by a long shot.

Farewell to Arms is pretty good also

I never got it. They say it's semi autobiographical, but then how did he type it up then?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To Have and Have Not kicks rear end.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
anybody like James Baldwin? i loved Giovanni’s Room and thought it was one of the most beautiful books i’ve ever read, but got maybe a third into Another Country and lost steam. might need to give that another go

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

anybody like James Baldwin? i loved Giovanni’s Room and thought it was one of the most beautiful books i’ve ever read, but got maybe a third into Another Country and lost steam. might need to give that another go

Notes of a Native Son is genius. Non-fiction though.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Go Tell It On A Mountain is essential reading.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Another Country is secretly better than Giovanni's Room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
nice, thanks everyone - those are going on my list