Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Invalid Validation posted:

Ours are so old and lovely you wouldn’t want to steal them anyways.

The FAA is still rocking a ton of early-aughts vintage 4:3 LCD monitors. They’re loving atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MrYenko posted:

The FAA is still rocking a ton of early-aughts vintage 4:3 LCD monitors. They’re loving atrocious.

Half my tools are using those, in fact all of the computers I use at work are atrocious from the hardware to the monitor.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I would simply buy a 32" monitor and put it on my expense report

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zedprime posted:

The impossible loss prevention riddle of taking monitors home. We couldn't possibly barcode or serial number them in an asset management system or account them off as opex. Nothing we can do but adorn the office with their turned off visage.

RIght?

I don't see what's so hard about tracking company equipment they want you to take home. They track your loving break time down to the minute and log "points" against you if you punch in 5 minutes too early or 10 minutes late from lunch. They seem to be able to log in "valid" doctor's excuses and poo poo when they feel like it and monitor you internet usage.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i'm just going to assume someone got tasked with 'we need to stop people from stealing this' and didn't care enough to actually figure it out, because if i imagine the sort of person who does this voluntarily because it sincerely bothers them that their coworkers are stealing monitors, i just get really sad

Then just deal individually with the one or two people who are suspected of stealing and struggling to document their usage of company equipment. Nah, how about we just punish all 110 people working here instead and treat everyone like a criminal.

We had a thing last place I worked at where smokers were tossing butts all over the place outside. I smoke sometimes but I never litter like that. Should be pretty easy to narrow down who was making GBS threads up the assigned break area but, in typical corporate wisdom, they just decided nobody could smoke out there anymore. Also, certain people would leave food in the fridge too long so they got rid of the refrigerator entirely. Temps were taking 20 minute shits and dicking around on their phones. No more phones on the floor and you can only poo poo at certain times.

Warn the people doing it and then fire them? Nah. Everyone must suffer.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 7, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009
When lockdowns started, everybody was scrambling to steal whatever wasn't bolted down at the place I worked at. It was the second bankruptcy and second buyout of a dying industry, so nobody including IT really cared.

There was an enormous pile of crappy LCD monitors. I asked how many I could take home. The IT guy responded with "technically none, but I have no idea how many are in the pile and I'm leaving at 330pm today".

I furnished like 4 friends' WFH setups and still have a little pile in my garage that I don't know what to do with anymore.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
If I issue equipment that can't hold company data (monitors, docks, kb+m combos) for use at home, I just write it off and don't particularly care if it comes back. Spending $500 to increase the efficiency of someone we're paying six figures seems like an easy win.
Anything capable of holding data that I might own gets tracked aggressively.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The place I was working at when covid kicked off had to get ~2500 additional people set up for home working with basically no ramp up time beyond the nebulous whispers in the few days leading up to it that lockdown might be coming, so IT on every site basically just let chaos reign and people walked out with anything that wasn’t bolted down.

It’s all asset tagged and labelled in that ‘invisible’ security ink poo poo but they have no idea who has what, including the pile of (garbage early 00s) monitors and laptop docks I still have despite quitting 2 months ago.

I asked when a good time to bring it back would be and they never got back to me, so I guess they have until I get bored of it being in my house before it goes to the e-waste box.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
When I was a supervisor and asked my manager about the logic of blanket bans, she said something along the lines of, if it's a blanket ban nobody can claim discrimination. Plus, easier to enforce, no grey areas.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We get most of our equipment from the salvation army so if every employee wants to steal a few monitors we're out one or two hundred dollars and just need to send the intern back to scavenge a few more.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pyrtanis posted:

When I was a supervisor and asked my manager about the logic of blanket bans, she said something along the lines of, if it's a blanket ban nobody can claim discrimination. Plus, easier to enforce, no grey areas.

It's legal to discriminate based on performance.

In fact, there are only a few very specific things you cannot discriminate on.

This is managerial laziness imo and I say this as someone with ~300 employees and the concommitant issues.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Maybe not dumb work poo poo, but definitely someone who is not very bright:

A lot of my company and several other very sizeable contractors are working for a utility in a rural area. There is one store in this rural area that has anything even coming close to something like a Raley's/Publix/Safeway/Ralphs/Kroger. This guy has been doing a good business on account of this, because literally every contractor in this area goes and shops at his store during work for food, gas, toilet paper, etc.

So of loving course, last week, the owner of this store posted a sign on his front door telling contractors of this particular utility that they are no longer allowed to shop at his store, and that if they park their trucks in his parking lot, he would tow them (where and with what left as an exercise to the reader, I guess). Consequently, most of the contractors are now telling their employees not to go there for any reason. I cannot imagine telling something like 50% of my monthly loving customers to gently caress off, but I guess some people just want to watch the world burn.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Festivus Miracle posted:

A lot of my company and several other very sizeable contractors are working for a utility in a rural area. There is one store in this rural area that has anything even coming close to something like a Raley's/Publix/Safeway/Ralphs/Kroger. This guy has been doing a good business on account of this, because literally every contractor in this area goes and shops at his store during work for food, gas, toilet paper, etc.

So of loving course, last week, the owner of this store posted a sign on his front door telling contractors of this particular utility that they are no longer allowed to shop at his store, and that if they park their trucks in his parking lot, he would tow them (where and with what left as an exercise to the reader, I guess). Consequently, most of the contractors are now telling their employees not to go there for any reason. I cannot imagine telling something like 50% of my monthly loving customers to gently caress off, but I guess some people just want to watch the world burn.

Lol dang, what was the reason for that? Store should have been making supply runs to Costco for more household essentials and looking into selling box lunches.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
"I DON'T WANT BUSINESS", screams local businessman.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Someone shat in an aisle in the back cause he had the wrong beer/chips/magazines/toiletpaper

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

History Comes Inside! posted:

The place I was working at when covid kicked off had to get ~2500 additional people set up for home working with basically no ramp up time beyond the nebulous whispers in the few days leading up to it that lockdown might be coming, so IT on every site basically just let chaos reign and people walked out with anything that wasn’t bolted down.

It’s all asset tagged and labelled in that ‘invisible’ security ink poo poo but they have no idea who has what, including the pile of (garbage early 00s) monitors and laptop docks I still have despite quitting 2 months ago.

I suspect the same thing happened at my employer since we have ~5000 employees working out of about 190 different locations nationwide.

Meanwhile, as Property seethe over the possibility that an employee who is blind and uses a guide dog might somehow slip out the front door with a lovely old $150 monitor tucked under her arm, I've got no less than three company issued old Surface Pros kicking around in my home office because I've been upgraded to a Surface laptop and no one has provided me with any info on how to send the old ones back to IT.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

E: I am dumb as hell, sorry

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 8, 2022

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My former employer ate a ransomware attack a couple weeks after I left and still hasn't asked for their lovely Dell laptop back. I would remind them, but they were mean to me on my way out so :laffo:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As if on cue my old job called me today to ask where my poo poo was

But only my company laptop

The one piece of equipment I actually did return, directly into the hands of my boss, 2 months ago to the day

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

As if on cue my old job called me today to ask where my poo poo was

But only my company laptop

The one piece of equipment I actually did return, directly into the hands of my boss, 2 months ago to the day

This is why I took a picture of the entirety of my at home work kit on the table in my managers office, including the keys to the office and attached it to the resignation email that I sent to her, her boss and HR, because I had zero trust that I wouldn't get harassed otherwise.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pyrtanis posted:

This is why I took a picture of the entirety of my at home work kit on the table in my managers office, including the keys to the office and attached it to the resignation email that I sent to her, her boss and HR, because I had zero trust that I wouldn't get harassed otherwise.

Yup, I included an itemized list of the poo poo I'll be returning (tomorrow! wooooooo) for this specific reason. Dealing with HIPAA means I extra don't want to be accused of keeping this laptop, lol

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
I don't know how managing lent out equipment can be such a huge problem. At my workplace when you get anything to take home you are provided with a list of everything you are given you sign off on to show you received everything on it (which the company keeps) and then when you give it back it gets signed by the company and you are given a copy of the list.

Seems like a pretty simple system to me.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Circa 2005;

I was a team lead of 12 developers for a small game studio. I was assigned one 17", 4:3 LCD monitor that maxed out at like 1368x768, this was like an $80, basic LCD, nothing fancy whatsoever.

My job was to do lots and lots of documents and design review, emails and so many spread sheets. Clearly this wasn't going to work out on day 1.

I asked for more and/or larger monitors, was told by basically the entire company's staff the boss would never allow two. I laughed and said if that's how it's going to be, I'll supply my own.

The following week I show up with my extras from home, I use two and I gave like 3 others to folks on my team. This poo poo was like the biggest morale boost these people have had since they started working there... Yikes.

Word gets around that my team has these and IT and the dipshit boss come storming in to take them. I speak up these are my personal ones I have loaned to certain people. Boss is visibly angry but says we can continue using them. Other teams in company are jealous as hell and grudges started forming.

Fast forward about a year later, I'm leaving for a better gig, on my way out I am packing up my desk and grab MY monitors to take home. Boss spots me and says those are the company's. I say ok, that's fine, I'll send you an invoice for the later. He doesn't understand and says fine whatever.

Few days later I send an itemized receipt for each of these monitors and wait. Dipshit ex boss pays it in full. Weeks go by and I get an angry email from him asking why I had purchased monitors. I ignored him after that.

TLDR; Ex boss was too cheap/stupid to provide people on his payroll proper equipment.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Vulin posted:

I don't know how managing lent out equipment can be such a huge problem. At my workplace when you get anything to take home you are provided with a list of everything you are given you sign off on to show you received everything on it (which the company keeps) and then when you give it back it gets signed by the company and you are given a copy of the list.

Seems like a pretty simple system to me.

You are imagining a world in which management is about making rapid, efficient, thoughtful decisions for the long-term good of the company, in pursuit of which you are given power matching your responsibilities, with occasional mistakes and suboptimal outcomes being accepted by those around you as the natural price of effective leadership.

As opposed to *gestures widely*.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It was before my time here, but I heard last week that a few years back a guy who was really unhappy stuck it out until the year end bonuses were paid and immediately resigned. HR spent 7 weeks trying to claw back that bonus.

E: unrelated, I dropped my wife's laptop off at the repair place yesterday (kids poured water on it). The lady I was behind in line had a pretty nice looking Elitebook. When she came to the counter she explained to the tech, 'This is my work laptop but my sons broke it. It isn't covered because I had it at home so I need it fixed ASAP'

Tech takes down her information, starts a ticket, then takes the laptop from the lady. The tech picks up the laptop, flips it over, runs her fingers along the spine and then says, 'Wait, is this THAT laptop?'

Lady sighs, 'Yes, they did it again.'

I never found out what it was but I've been tickled ever since.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 9, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

tactlessbastard posted:

It was before my time here, but I heard last week that a few years back a guy who was really unhappy stuck it out until the year end bonuses were paid and immediately resigned. HR spent 7 weeks trying to claw back that bonus.

my hero

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tactlessbastard posted:

E: unrelated, I dropped my wife's laptop off at the repair place yesterday (kids poured water on it). The lady I was behind in line had a pretty nice looking Elitebook. When she came to the counter she explained to the tech, 'This is my work laptop but my sons broke it. It isn't covered because I had it at home so I need it fixed ASAP'

Tech takes down her information, starts a ticket, then takes the laptop from the lady. The tech picks up the laptop, flips it over, runs her fingers along the spine and then says, 'Wait, is this THAT laptop?'

i've never wanted a story update more than i do right now

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Last week the board announced survey results saying that 31% of staff wanted to be in the office more than one day a week while 46% wanted to be in less than one day a month. Today the board announced they want everyone to plan on being in at least one day a week "because based on the recent survey you all generally agree with this".

I think there will be some questions about basic maths skills in the upcoming all staff meeting.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm really curious as to how they went about that. I was gonna say, that can't be legal, but then again this is the "dumb poo poo at work" thread.

That was actually very common when I was working in China, All the companies would pay out the yearly bonus before Chinese New Year, and there was always a flurry of resignations and new hires after the holiday. It also happened that people resigned by just not coming back to work after CNY.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tactlessbastard posted:

Did it have a label on it that read "Hunter Biden" or "HB" scrawled on it with a sharpie?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

tactlessbastard posted:

This is literally the point of bonuses: to retain staff. He would have quit earlier if there wasn't a bonus. It's almost like management are incapable of critical thinking and don't understand even the most basic poo poo about human psychology or just how things work in general.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

fish and chips and dip posted:

I'm really curious as to how they went about that. I was gonna say, that can't be legal, but then again this is the "dumb poo poo at work" thread.

That was actually very common when I was working in China, All the companies would pay out the yearly bonus before Chinese New Year, and there was always a flurry of resignations and new hires after the holiday. It also happened that people resigned by just not coming back to work after CNY.

At least, being common knowledge, it is easily prepared for.
You'll not get a project deadline over new year unless your boss is particularly confident, for example.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Outrail posted:

This is literally the point of bonuses: to retain staff. He would have quit earlier if there wasn't a bonus. It's almost like management are incapable of critical thinking and don't understand even the most basic poo poo about human psychology or just how things work in general.

My last job had it in our contracts that you forfeit any scheduled bonus payments if you’re working a notice period after handing in your resignation.

We only got paid a bonus once a year, at the same time every year, with a month’s notice that your bonus was definitely coming and the exact value, and yet every year there was always at least one very surprised person who decided that was the perfect time to quit and was somehow blindsided by this widely known fact.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I figured quitting around a bonus was common. At my old job you would recieve your annual bonus and they would fund your HSA as long as you were employed on January 1 of the year, so everyone (myself included) gave their two weeks on January 2nd.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

My last job had it in our contracts that you forfeit any scheduled bonus payments if you’re working a notice period after handing in your resignation.

We only got paid a bonus once a year, at the same time every year, with a month’s notice that your bonus was definitely coming and the exact value, and yet every year there was always at least one very surprised person who decided that was the perfect time to quit and was somehow blindsided by this widely known fact.

It's in our contracts that bonus will be paid on x day to any employee who hasn't put in notice by x day.

I think a bunch of people put in on x+1 day

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
lol if companies are trying to retract a year end-bonus because you resign after receiving it.

You would think it's a bonus awarded at the end of the year for the work you've done, not next year's work.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Back in January 2020, we had a dude walk at the exact wrong time because bonuses had been decided, but not announced or paid and our HR is a bunch of... Well HR types. So when he walked (not notice, just sighed, grabbed the photo of his kid from the wall, put his ID on his desk and left wordlessly), our boss tried to get his bonus shared out with the rest of us and they wouldn't because while everything was still a few weeks from being finalized, they didn't want to have to redo the paperwork.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tetrabor posted:

lol if companies are trying to retract a year end-bonus because you resign after receiving it.

You would think it's a bonus awarded at the end of the year for the work you've done, not next year's work.

Ah, here's the problem

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Slayerjerman posted:

Circa 2005;

I was a team lead of 12 developers for a small game studio. I was assigned one 17", 4:3 LCD monitor that maxed out at like 1368x768, this was like an $80, basic LCD, nothing fancy whatsoever.

My job was to do lots and lots of documents and design review, emails and so many spread sheets. Clearly this wasn't going to work out on day 1.

I asked for more and/or larger monitors, was told by basically the entire company's staff the boss would never allow two. I laughed and said if that's how it's going to be, I'll supply my own.

The following week I show up with my extras from home, I use two and I gave like 3 others to folks on my team. This poo poo was like the biggest morale boost these people have had since they started working there... Yikes.

Word gets around that my team has these and IT and the dipshit boss come storming in to take them. I speak up these are my personal ones I have loaned to certain people. Boss is visibly angry but says we can continue using them. Other teams in company are jealous as hell and grudges started forming.

Fast forward about a year later, I'm leaving for a better gig, on my way out I am packing up my desk and grab MY monitors to take home. Boss spots me and says those are the company's. I say ok, that's fine, I'll send you an invoice for the later. He doesn't understand and says fine whatever.

Few days later I send an itemized receipt for each of these monitors and wait. Dipshit ex boss pays it in full. Weeks go by and I get an angry email from him asking why I had purchased monitors. I ignored him after that.

TLDR; Ex boss was too cheap/stupid to provide people on his payroll proper equipment.

Lol that owns. More game development stories please.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goatface posted:

Last week the board announced survey results saying that 31% of staff wanted to be in the office more than one day a week while 46% wanted to be in less than one day a month. Today the board announced they want everyone to plan on being in at least one day a week "because based on the recent survey you all generally agree with this".

I think there will be some questions about basic maths skills in the upcoming all staff meeting.

My company pushed us on return to office three different times between the end of 2020 and this spring, and started talking up how great it would be to see all your work friends again in our All Hands meetings after vaccines were available. All of the surveys sent out came back with a strong preference for work from home to continue or to offer hybrid options for those who didn't want to come back full time. As time went on the full remote option got more popular instead of less. It was funny to watch as the company contorted from "won't it be great to come back in?" to "some of our employees haven't even met the rest of their team in person. We expect everyone will be in the office sometimes." to "So we sold an entire building and are remodeling our two remaining office buildings at the main campus, eliminating assigned seating for anyone who isn't set to be on site full time and are reworking all our conference rooms to be set up for Zoom video calls. Please don't leave the company." I really want to know how much they spent on consultants to pitch the return to office policy only to have 3/4ths of the company tell them we weren't interested in that so forcefully that that policy actually changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

My company pushed us on return to office three different times between the end of 2020 and this spring, and started talking up how great it would be to see all your work friends again in our All Hands meetings after vaccines were available. All of the surveys sent out came back with a strong preference for work from home to continue or to offer hybrid options for those who didn't want to come back full time. As time went on the full remote option got more popular instead of less. It was funny to watch as the company contorted from "won't it be great to come back in?" to "some of our employees haven't even met the rest of their team in person. We expect everyone will be in the office sometimes." to "So we sold an entire building and are remodeling our two remaining office buildings at the main campus, eliminating assigned seating for anyone who isn't set to be on site full time and are reworking all our conference rooms to be set up for Zoom video calls. Please don't leave the company." I really want to know how much they spent on consultants to pitch the return to office policy only to have 3/4ths of the company tell them we weren't interested in that so forcefully that that policy actually changed.

Nice that's good it worked out. We're down to one day a week, would prefer zero but considering we were at no WFH pre-pandemic it's a huge win. It's interesting how this has become unintentionally one of our best perks, especially as it doesn't matter which day I'm in so if I have a medical appt on my regular day in office don't even have to ask to just plan to come in the next day instead. While this is poorly supervised I am trying to meet the lax requirements as don't want to mess up and get on any management's radar as someone to keep an eye on regarding my work habits, so far so good.