Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You can both think gender essentialism and forced assignment is bullshit and be trans. Bridget is free to do what she wants and feels is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ash Crimson posted:

What exactly are you trying to say here

That that argument being used to say that Bridget "isn't trans" and "is being groomed" is bullshit and disgusting and ignoring the intentions from the writers and it irritates me like all bad faith discussion?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

That that argument being used to say that Bridget "isn't trans" and "is being groomed" is bullshit and disgusting and ignoring the intentions from the writers and it irritates me like all bad faith discussion?

saying anything other than "please stop existing" to lgbtq youth is classified as grooming nowadays

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can’t loving believe I’m saying this, but Ash Crimson from King of Fighters is not wrong about the Bridget from Guilty Gear discourse. These people aren’t coming from a place of good faith and arguments with them aren’t going to change anything - it’s just for our own benefit and to blow off steam. Best thing to do at this point is to speak over them and just let them leave.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah. statements like 'im a guy who likes to crossdress but identifies as a guy and some people are being weird about that in response to this' are reasonable, but when you get into 'grooming' or w/e its clear that they arent remotely interested in actual good faith conversation.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Grooming myself to somehow become even more gayer and trans

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyways, Guilty Gear rules and I'm glad ArcSys apparently finally struck financial gold with this version so that they keep making them

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah of course, obv I ain't getting into any mess like thT. It's probably that I actually did have concerns originally about her backstory but after reading arguments like "the point is that is her choice" and "it's the writers deciding to turn the old "trap" joke into actual trans representation" that dispelled any concerns I had.

So that argument being repeteadly used as a way to prey on people's concerns just riles me up.

In the end what matters is that Bridget is a cute and cool girl now.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

guilty gear -- Strive!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I still think goldlewis is most likely closeted

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well Goldlewis isn't real, he is made up for a video game. So I guess we will never know

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
they made the connection time faster I think and that makes me happy

Honestly I think people who are convinced Bridget's original story was about "coming to terms with their masculinity" or being uncomfortable being femme never played GGX2's story and just imagined what it was about based on how they feel. Yeah they want to prove the superstition wrong, but their only real issue is every bounty they go after ends up being invalid. If their story was secretly about their gender issues then they'd probably talk about that because Guilty Gear is anything but subtle.

Ash Crimson posted:

I still think goldlewis is most likely closeted

Goldlewis has mastered the closet and now brings it with him. His sexuality is denim and belt buckles.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Goldlewis says trans rights. :hellyeah:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Well Goldlewis isn't real, he is made up for a video game. So I guess we will never know

A guilty gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TGLT posted:

they made the connection time faster I think and that makes me happy

Honestly I think people who are convinced Bridget's original story was about "coming to terms with their masculinity" or being uncomfortable being femme never played GGX2's story and just imagined what it was about based on how they feel. Yeah they want to prove the superstition wrong, but their only real issue is every bounty they go after ends up being invalid. If their story was secretly about their gender issues then they'd probably talk about that because Guilty Gear is anything but subtle.
yeah people talking about 'bridget being positive representation' previously are deranged because she was literally a one note joke.

'im here to take your bounty'
'haha what a cute girl'
'IM A GUY!'
'this has shattered my entire world view'

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think it’s a good thing that gamers are talking about grooming, personally. Grooming is good. Keeps you healthy, keeps you liking yourself, people can stand to be around you. Personal hygiene is very important, I don’t understand why everyone’s so mad about it.

What’s that? What other kind of grooming? Oh. Oh…………………

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

yeah people talking about 'bridget being positive representation' previously are deranged because she was literally a one note joke.

'haha what a cute girl'
'IM A GUY!'

Honestly I think even that's an exagerrated reading. Bridget gets misidentified three times in GGX2. I-No just goes "oh okay", Ky is talking to himself, and only Johnny has a full on mental crisis. I think "this bounty is expired/invalid" comes up way more often because I-no gave them a stack of bullshit ones.

Like whether or not it's positive representation, I think that element's just bigger in people's memory than it was in the actual game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

'haha what a cute girl'
'IM A GUY!'

This. Bridget was a loving awful character in GGX2 and Bridget in Strive is goddamn perfect and the changes are unambiguously good unless you’re a fart huffing gamer chode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The only thing not real is my desire to spend another 25 dollars on the cursed ps5 version

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TGLT posted:

Honestly I think even that's an exagerrated reading. Bridget gets misidentified three times in GGX2. I-No just goes "oh okay", Ky is talking to himself, and only Johnny has a full on mental crisis. I think "this bounty is expired/invalid" comes up way more often because I-no gave them a stack of bullshit ones.

Like whether or not it's positive representation, I think that element's just bigger in people's memory than it was in the actual game.
i think it comes up in other characters' win quotes against them too is the thing, and also other games like isuka and judgment. remember isuka. no. well too bad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's outright in Xrd as one of Johnny's bad end nightmares when he gets hit by the bedman instant kill.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

i think it comes up in other characters' win quotes against them too is the thing, and also other games like isuka and judgment. remember isuka. no. well too bad.

You mean the funny robo-ky building simulator? That had a story mode? As for win quotes I think most of them emphasize Bridget being young, like Sol going "I feel sorry for your babysitter" or Kliff's "A world where even children replace their toys with weapons...I thought peace had returned..."

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

If you've been to a fighting game tournament you'd know that fighting game players don't know what grooming is, so this is no surprise.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
The tower mostly sucks but one good thing about is that you get to play literal EVO winners and other top players. Honestly, in any other fighting game I will never be able to do that.

Also holy gently caress, it loads so much faster now! Maybe like 20~ seconds.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does it still error out when you join a lobby and try to get into training or on a cab right away

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does it still bounce you from training every 30 seconds?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

The only thing not real is my desire to spend another 25 dollars on the cursed ps5 version

Apparently the native PS5 version is <3f input lag after the patch:
https://twitter.com/kimagreGaming/status/1556955540001267712

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 9, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats a start. cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Glagha posted:

If you've been to a fighting game tournament you'd know that fighting game players don't know what grooming is, so this is no surprise.

Unless it's a smash tournament.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh they fixed the godawful into loading time? Might get it on sale sometimes then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh they fixed the godawful into loading time? Might get it on sale sometimes then.

It's like 15-20 seconds now on PC without Totsugeki, half of that with Totsugeki.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

grooming is what they call when you go to the items list to check that all the fun is turned off

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they make Giovanna for newbs like me? That was nice of them. I like her. :unsmith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Did they make Giovanna for newbs like me? That was nice of them. I like her. :unsmith:

Pretty sure they did. She even gets buffs for when the player forgets to use their meter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Pretty sure they did. She even gets buffs for when the player forgets to use their meter.

Ha ha ha! The very idea! Ahem.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

yeah, that was a stated goal of giovanna. plus she has a drat dog so really a 10/10 design for arcsys. glad you like the game

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

I started to say hey you're in luck it's on sale now, but looks like $39.99 is just the new normal PC price, neat! And when I pulled it up on fanatical.com it said "Save 15% off any full price game with code FANATICAL15" which brings it down to $33.99. It's a great game, def worth that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
town inside me is good and all but it kinda sucks as a fighting theme

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

teh_Broseph posted:

I started to say hey you're in luck it's on sale now, but looks like $39.99 is just the new normal PC price, neat! And when I pulled it up on fanatical.com it said "Save 15% off any full price game with code FANATICAL15" which brings it down to $33.99. It's a great game, def worth that.

I do have the tendency of buying fightung games despite being absolutely dogshit at them lol. Also I'm not gonna have access to my PC for the month so I can wait for a better sale (specially since lets be honest, ArkSys charges an eye for DLC characters, it's what drove me away from GBVS besides no rollback)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

town inside me is good and all but it kinda sucks as a fighting theme

im a loving psycho so im setting the music to birthday train every time