Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What are these cabin fields? Are people building summer villages in the wilderness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

anatomi posted:

What are these cabin fields? Are people building summer villages in the wilderness?

Or winter villages.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks like poo poo I gotta say. The point of a cabin is to not see any other cabins near you. You wanna live densley go back to town.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeh, but every boomer wants at least one, and it should be close to ski slopes for the grandkids, and have water and electricity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's literally suburb logic but for cabins.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beeswax posted:

Writing the report/book seems like career poison so I'm not surprised the only one both willing and allowed to do so is a party sympathiser

edit: for international readers, the populist right-wring Sweden Democrats ordered a report on the party's roots and history, ostensibly in a move to objectively chronicle the party and its journey from fringe skinhead concern to mainstream player. And the guy who was assigned to write it ... well, you can guess the rest

It's worse. They completely fluffed him up as a serious researcher from Uppsala university. Then a minimum of journalism turned out that he was a temporarily employed post-doc type who basically just fluked out of two projects and then never published anything for 10 years after getting his diploma.

"I medierapporteringen har det framställts som att idéhistorikern Tony Gustafsson riskerar sin akademiska karriär genom att skriva Sverigedemokraternas vitbok. Men Flamman kan nu avslöja att han inte har publicerat sig vetenskapligt sedan 2010, och att han har fått fyra miljoner i forskningsstöd från Vetenskapsrådet för två oavslutade projekt.

I flera medier kallas han även ”universitetslektor”. Men tjänsten som åsyftas var ett korttidsvikariat som gick ut bara några dagar senare, den 31 januari. Gustafsson har inte längre någon tjänst eller anknytning till Uppsala universitet, och hans profil finns inte längre kvar på hemsidan.
"

http://flamman.se/a/forfattaren-till-sds-vitbok-har-inte-publicerat-forskning-sedan-2010

BigglesSWE posted:

The interesting thing about the vitbok is that the part that has been released was, to my understanding, a competently made study that doesn't really reveal anything but the blindingly obvious: SD was founded and led by nazis for a long rear end time (still are to some extent). This is why they released that part on a Friday afternoon in the middle of July in the hopes no one would notice that their own study revealed the thing everyone who knows anything about anything had been saying forever.

That being said, massive lol that the neutrality they bragged so much about was a lie.

This is why they saved the second part, which will cover whether or not SD currently is a bunch of fascists, until after the election because they know that even with a sympathiser no-body doing the research, it turned out to be impossible to hide the brown stuff.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 9, 2022

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Cardiac posted:

Vinegar and soap is a better solution.

use a glass and something flat to catch and release

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks like poo poo I gotta say. The point of a cabin is to not see any other cabins near you. You wanna live densley go back to town.

From my experience Finland also has a nice culture of using nature colored houses and not clear the growth around the cabins so even if there are a number of cabins nearby one can not really see them as they blend in with the surroundings.

Megamissen posted:

use a glass and something flat to catch and release

Or catch them with your hands and squish them with your fingertips like you do with other bugs that come indoors, such as wasps, spiders, larvas, flies and snails. I know this person.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In this economy you should be eating the bugs.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yes i hate this stuff but it's easy money for cash-strapped rural municipalities so some of them plonk these grotesqueries all over the shop

at least global warming is going to make skiing in most of these areas a thing of the past in the medium future, and then these houses will be worthless

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the cabin thing is a weird holdover, because cabin culture has been a genuine thing for a long time. lots of unions used to own their own holiday colonies for members' families, for instance, because people lived so densely in polluted towns that getting away for a bit was a real priority. as purchasing power has increased, not only has density and pollution decreased along with foreign travel becoming affordable to relieve the pressure, but this impulse has led to people wanting, effectively, a second home away from home and abandoning the old collectivist model of cabin holidays. it's a whole conspicuous consumption thing and it's extremely vulgar.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

It's worse. They completely fluffed him up as a serious researcher from Uppsala university. Then a minimum of journalism turned out that he was a temporarily employed post-doc type who basically just fluked out of two projects and then never published anything for 10 years after getting his diploma.

Eh, that is more the norm for postdocs than anything else.
He’s got a PhD in a somewhat relevant area, have published things. He obviously didn’t get an academic position, which btw is loving hard. And publishing when you are not in academia is kinda hard.
That makes him more than qualified to write this. If not, we can safely throw out any books written by journalists. Or anything by Arnstadt.

In all honesty, he got a nice easy gig since we already know SDs history and he had obviously no academic career to torpedo.
And given that there is a fair chance SD will be part of the ruling coalition, I wouldn’t say he is out of options. It have long been a working career move for the left.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Eh, that is more the norm for postdocs than anything else.
He’s got a PhD in a somewhat relevant area, have published things. He obviously didn’t get an academic position, which btw is loving hard. And publishing when you are not in academia is kinda hard.
That makes him more than qualified to write this. If not, we can safely throw out any books written by journalists. Or anything by Arnstadt.

In all honesty, he got a nice easy gig since we already know SDs history and he had obviously no academic career to torpedo.
And given that there is a fair chance SD will be part of the ruling coalition, I wouldn’t say he is out of options. It have long been a working career move for the left.

That's not the issue. He was "sold" to the media by SD as a big time Uppsala historian, which was very, very far from what he actually is. I'm not saying that you can't write history without being a tenured professor, I'm saying that someone who basically did his PhD and never published anything after that and was employed at Uppsala for like a week should not be labelled a historian from Uppsala university.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

TheRat posted:

Wind can gently caress off. We have zero need to blight our untouched nature with that poo poo, we produce more than enough green energy as it is. All that needs to happen is that we stop enabling Germany and other European countries' moronic policy.

This. We didn't force Germany to shoot themselves in both feet, they're adults who can make their own decisions. How much wind power would we even be looking at before it made a difference anyway?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cardiac posted:

Vinegar and soap is a better solution.

thats a fruit fly thing, havent caught many moths with that. thankfully. i dont mind random moths, more sorry for any trapped indoors cause theres nothing for them here.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 9, 2022

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yep.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Frankly Norway is getting too crowded. Half of you please leave.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Isn't wind power inefficient as a source of renewable energy anyhow, once you take into account the cost of maintenance and transportation of replacement parts? I'd much rather see any investment into green energy be spent on more hydro or developing tidal into a viable source of power.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Nice piece of fish posted:

Frankly Norway is getting too crowded. Half of you please leave.

I'm in favour of a first in, first out system. If we send the people who've been in Norway the longest to Spain then we're just formalising an existing trend anyway.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Isn't wind power inefficient as a source of renewable energy anyhow, once you take into account the cost of maintenance and transportation of replacement parts? I'd much rather see any investment into green energy be spent on more hydro or developing tidal into a viable source of power.

AFAIK wind power is a pretty great alternative right now as you can get a lot of use out of it as the technology stands today. Especially when you start to look at the huge towers that reach higher and therefore gets stronger and more dependable winds. For example, a single project like the 40 towers at Ripfjället would supply electricity equivalent to the useage of 170 000 homes. The 50 towers planned to be built outside Söderhamn out at sea would give about a million homes's usage of electricity every year. Also you can plant wind towers in places that are not used for other things, like all the towers placed on the windy fields here in Skåne and on top of hills, which is pretty cool and efficient use of land. You can't plop down solar panels on top of a wheat field.

Due to peaks and lulls in wind it is not suitable to be the sole energy source for an entire society, but it is technology that is here today and that could knock off a large amount of need for fossile energy sources. Solar is probably a better long-term solution as the technology keeps advancing pretty rapidly, but these are towers that would be up today if they were not blocked by nimby. Like the one at Söderhman, where people are literally sending death threats to local politicians who are pro-wind.

I.e. if we want to curb the worst of climate change, we can't afford to not utilize wind power while waiting for other renewable sources to advance.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 9, 2022

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

lilljonas posted:

AFAIK wind power is a pretty great alternative right now as you can get a lot of use out of it as the technology stands today. Especially when you start to look at the huge towers that reach higher and therefore gets stronger and more dependable winds. For example, a single project like the 40 towers at Ripfjället would supply electricity equivalent to the useage of 170 000 homes. The 50 towers planned to be built outside Söderhamn out at sea would give about a million homes's usage of electricity every year. Also you can plant wind towers in places that are not used for other things, like all the towers placed on the windy fields here in Skåne and on top of hills, which is pretty cool and efficient use of land. You can't plop down solar panels on top of a wheat field.

Due to peaks and lulls in wind it is not suitable to be the sole energy source for an entire society, but it is technology that is here today and that could knock off a large amount of need for fossile energy sources. Solar is probably a better long-term solution as the technology keeps advancing pretty rapidly, but these are towers that would be up today if they were not blocked by nimby. Like the one at Söderhman, where people are literally sending death threats to local politicians who are pro-wind.

I.e. if we want to curb the worst of climate change, we can't afford to not utilize wind power while waiting for other renewable sources to advance.

We could also just skip all this and Just Go Nuclear already. I'd rather live next to a power plant than have windmills everywhere anyway, so it's a win-win.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cynic Jester posted:

Isn't wind power inefficient as a source of renewable energy anyhow, once you take into account the cost of maintenance and transportation of replacement parts?

No it's the opposite.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cynic Jester posted:

Hydro can be dependeable but also really poo poo from an ecological standpoint. Rather have a nuclear plant next door than ruin the few large unexploited northern rivers we have left.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

does any party want to ban crypto mining?

lilljonas posted:

That's not the issue. He was "sold" to the media by SD as a big time Uppsala historian, which was very, very far from what he actually is. I'm not saying that you can't write history without being a tenured professor, I'm saying that someone who basically did his PhD and never published anything after that and was employed at Uppsala for like a week should not be labelled a historian from Uppsala university.

didnt someone from the thread know him from their time at university?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Crespolini posted:

We could also just skip all this and Just Go Nuclear already. I'd rather live next to a power plant than have windmills everywhere anyway, so it's a win-win.

We could also stop eating meat and return most farmland to wild forest and stop living in houses and turn the suburbs into parks. There's lots of things we could do in Simcity.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
the anti nuke cult is strong in norway.
you have offer palatable solutions.
wind and solar is what we have focus on, but mostly wind. I understand that we are a long way from useful tidal or wave powerplants. but by all means, lets spend money in research.

At any rate its not a good idea to depend on a single type of energy. Hydro is nice until we start having drougths. Weather patterns are likely to become ever more disorderd and unusual going forward. And who knows what the price of solar will be with all rare earth minerals it requires.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Owling Howl posted:

We could also stop eating meat and return most farmland to wild forest and stop living in houses and turn the suburbs into parks. There's lots of things we could do in Simcity.

Maybe not all of it, some cattle on naturbete and haymaking are good for keeping certain diverse open habitats going. One of the most biodiverse but declining landscapes in Scandinavia is stuff like meadows, pastures and other semi-natural grasslands, wetlands etc especially on marginal lands.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 9, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It would be interesting to see if nuclear is actually ready to make a real comeback. As I remember, the younger demographics are a lot more positive than the ones that remember Chernobyl, and it's actually a pretty good solution, especially in Scandinavia, which is geologically (and politically) stable as hell. We just need a few major parties to actually come out as positive towards nuclear and trigger an actual discussion about whether it could be an idea, instead of just having it be dead on arrival.

Anyway, reopen Barsebæk, worst case we lose Copenhagen and Scania. The world benefits either way.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Owling Howl posted:

I'm probably not gonna stop eating meat tbqh, but even if I did it seems like we'd still need electricity.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

According to Flamman, he defended his thesis in 2007, published two things in 2010 and still got grants for a total of 4 million during the time period 2010-2020. You don’t typically get grants if you are not productive in some way, which might not be covered in the article. Allegedly Swedish social sciences (compared to natural sciences) have a issues with publications since they generally don’t publish in English. 4 million is enough grant to cover 4-8 years of research and I guess he has reached the point where he realized an academic career was not going to happen.
Academic research is often (on a personal level) a case of sunk cost fallacy, so this would not be surprising.

That SD would brand him as an important historian for their pet project is hardly surprising and expected. The whole point behind the project is to say “look we have critically assessed our history, but that is not the party we are today”.
Which is the end story for SD in this case.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They just put up election posters about kicking out immigrants. Nothing racist there!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

as a pretty bad academic i have an instinctive sympathetic reaction whenever someone tries to discredit others by attacking their (lacking) academic credentials. i imagine if i ever made my way into any kind of public light people would look at my publications and find all sorts of oversights or mistakes which clearly mean that i'm a stupid idiot who fails at everything. this is not true; i only fail at most things.

hell, one of the positions i applied for looked into some bad grades from my bachelor's degree and that i wasn't first author of any papers on the subject matter to claim i was unqualified for a position ostensibly requiring just a master's degree, so i've already had a taste of it in a semi-private setting and it made me genuinely upset - taking any part in public space requires thick enough skin as it is imo. plenty of competent people either failed or just stopped being academics.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
My publication/funding list is quite good for my field. I got tenure a while back but I have always thought the idea that those particular metrics directly translates to how good an academic, or how knowledgeable, you are, is catastrophically stupid. It’s mostly been luck for me, especially as it relates to knowing the right people (editors mainly), which imo is the absolutely single-most important thing for an academic career today. No knowledge, practice/experience with methods, visionary insights, will get you as far in academia as being friends with an important editor, or senior funding-board member, will. Being supremely confident, bordering clinical narcissism, also helps, despite being the issues it causes with learning. Especially for writing.

The skills/abilities you need to publish in high ranked journal and get funding, is super far removed from what makes you a good researcher or what makes you have deep insight into your subjects, or even be interested in learning more - let alone impart those things through teaching.

I would go as far as to say that it’s the biggest problem of modern academia, even our society, that the hiring/selection/career processes of universities, way way way over-prioritizes people who are good at networking and the very specific form for written communication that publishing requires, over people who are good researchers and have deep insight/knowledge. Don’t get me started on how far down the list of priorities being a good teacher is for most universities and, to be honest, most academics. It’s a loving travesty, and the coming generation of phds are (understandably) even worse because they are complete subsumed by the new academic ideals of universities (funding/impact factor are the sole important factors, teaching is for the non-tenured plebs).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So has anyone read the book Girig Sverige (Greedy Sweden)?

I get the impression it's a book with typical leftist critique of the post 1980s Sweden as it moves into neoliberal ultra hell mode. Which naturally seems like it'd be a good book. But I saw people I'd say I thought where right leaning or bourgoise also praising it as a book worth reading. I think I need to give it a read at any rate.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It’s on my to read-list but haven’t gotten to it yet. But I’ve heard good stuff about it from several people.

On another note, M is going all-out crazy https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/m-adhd-utred-alla-barn-i-utsatta-omraden/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Give easier access to legal meth to people in regions with high crime rates? I see no problem with that.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

I get the impression it's a book with typical leftist critique of the post 1980s Sweden as it moves into neoliberal ultra hell mode. Which naturally seems like it'd be a good book. But I saw people I'd say I thought where right leaning or bourgoise also praising it as a book worth reading. I think I need to give it a read at any rate.

Didnt know about it, but i see that Andreas Cervenka wrote it. I liked his nationalekonomi articles and columns in the press, think he gives a more "balanced" and fairer shake when explaining macro-economic concepts to the wider public than most. Like, he doesnt dance around economics aims being inherently political and such (looking at you Lars Calmfors).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 12, 2022

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's a rundown of swedish wealth and inequality statistics and their relation to the macro-economy in a funny, pedagogic and novel way. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

as a pretty bad academic i have an instinctive sympathetic reaction whenever someone tries to discredit others by attacking their (lacking) academic credentials. i imagine if i ever made my way into any kind of public light people would look at my publications and find all sorts of oversights or mistakes which clearly mean that i'm a stupid idiot who fails at everything. this is not true; i only fail at most things.

hell, one of the positions i applied for looked into some bad grades from my bachelor's degree and that i wasn't first author of any papers on the subject matter to claim i was unqualified for a position ostensibly requiring just a master's degree, so i've already had a taste of it in a semi-private setting and it made me genuinely upset - taking any part in public space requires thick enough skin as it is imo. plenty of competent people either failed or just stopped being academics.

On the other hand, maybe someone would end up reading someone else’s PhD thesis for a change.

We end up employing a lot of PhDs and it is kinda jarring for them to realize that no one cares about their thesis. Half a year ago I ran into someone who had read mine and thought it was really good, which was an awkward moment for me. I haven’t actually read mine since I defended.