Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Even Fuji's premium glass I believe is still significantly cheaper than L glass and other 1st party 35mm-system glass.

E.g.,

- Sony 24-70 f/2.8 is $2200, on sale for $2000
- Canon 24-70 f/2.8 is $1900, goes on sale for (I believe) $1600 or $1700
- Fuji 16-55 f/2.8 is $1200, goes on sale for $900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I was mainly looking at telephotos which are generally expensive anyways. Canon has made a lot of cheaper inroads there. Looking at third party the options look more in line, I suppose.

I'm a bit miffed on the Canon line up offerings and the R7 back orders may go into next year for a camera that has a lot of trade offs. I've been looking hard at other alternatives that are actually attainable and so that I'm not in the hole 3 grand for a hobby.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 8, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Does there exist some sort of viewfinder magnifier for the a7RIV? Or something like that? All I can find are viewfinders that use the fold out screen, or giant rubber eyecups.

I wear glasses and even if I remove the rubber eye up to get my lenses as close as possible to the viewfinder, I still can’t quite see the whole thing.

Any suggestions or leads?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Can you not adjust the Diopter to use it without glasses? I guess this would depend on your prescription?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The prescription is not the problem. Because of my lenses, my eyes are always too far away from the viewfinder, so I can never quite see all of it

This must be a common problem, but I don’t see any solution to it

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
What do you guys think are the chances of the Olympus E-M5 III dropping in price when the OM-5 is released later in the year? I'm looking for a new camera after the sensor on my last one fritzed, but I'm not sure if I should get the E-M5 III now, or wait...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Does there exist some sort of viewfinder magnifier for the a7RIV? Or something like that? All I can find are viewfinders that use the fold out screen, or giant rubber eyecups.

I wear glasses and even if I remove the rubber eye up to get my lenses as close as possible to the viewfinder, I still can’t quite see the whole thing.

The term you're looking for that describes this is eye relief. It's big thing in binoculars as well. It's highly variable between brands and between models within those brands. If taking the rubber off still doesn't work with your glasses, and you can't adjust the focus on the viewfinder enough to be useable without your prescription (or your viewfinder doesn't have focus controls), you're kind of SOL and you're either going to have to deal with it or shop for a new body with better eye relief.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I recently got a Fuji X-T4, and I got the larger eye cup for it separately. I like it, not only can I see more through the viewfinder with my glasses on, I get less light bleed too. I have fairly small frames though. If that doesn't work, as people have said, the other main choice is adjust the diopter to see the viewfinder in focus without your glasses on. The eye cup worked well enough for me to leave the diopter alone. I do prefer using the back screen for any involved menu changes though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Use the rear lcd

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Eye surgery fixed that for me.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Let’s say you were going to ditch everything else you own and buy a new mirrorless camera. If you’re me, you have one good f-mount normal prime, but you can get the f/4 zoom for any of the big three. You want more than 24MP because you want to shoot landscapes, but will probably use it just as much for family candids. Later on you’ll need to pick up a 400mm+ telephoto for wildlife, and then you’ll be set. Video also moderately important, but you can live with the recording time limits of the R5.

R5, Z7ii, or A7iv?

The Z7ii seems like the best deal, especially since I already have a lens that can be adapted. It’s also $1500 cheaper than an R5 with an f/4 standard zoom. But I’d mostly be coming from a Fuji system, so really open to any of the three.

The Canon seems to have the best ergonomics, and the Sony the most robust video. However, the primary spec for my purposes is dynamic range, and they all seem to be about the same…except that (according to photonstophotos) the R5 has some kind of baked-in noise reduction. Its DR is rated very high according to that website but with the caveat that the raws are a little crooked.

Still I really like the other features, and the lens selection.

What do you think, thread? Anyone have a comparative opinion of these cameras with an eye toward image quality?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The R5 tracking and eye AF is such a game changer for wildlife.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The prescription is not the problem. Because of my lenses, my eyes are always too far away from the viewfinder, so I can never quite see all of it

This must be a common problem, but I don’t see any solution to it

My Panasonic S1 has a large and smaller viewfinder image. You can switch between them. It wastes a portion of the viewfinder area and displays only black borders instead of utilizing the whole viewfinder area. That way eyeglass users can see the whole viewfinder.

Edit: seems it actually has three sizes.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 21, 2022

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What do you think, thread? Anyone have a comparative opinion of these cameras with an eye toward image quality?

If I personally had to choose then I'd consider them as a system. Those bodies are all great IMO.

Starting from zero I'd probably choose Sony now, their lens selection with first- and third party lenses are really great. Thought them too expensive but nowadays Canon RF stuff makes some Sony options look really tame.

If one can stand using adapter and old EF glass (it works perfectly) then Canon RF bodies are much more tolerable. Purely in my opinion and the system I'm using right now. My main workhorses are f/2.8 zooms though.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So nobody really too bullish for Nikon mirrorless, huh? They seem like a good deal… at least, the Z7II seems like it gets you a lot of resolution and DR for less than what an R5 costs. And the lens situation is about the same as canon regarding the pricy new-mount stuff vs huge pool of adaptable lenses.

But checking prices again, it looks like an A7RIII with a decent zoom is a few hundred dollars less than an equivalent Z7II kit. Hmm, I guess that is the better deal.

But I’ve got cold feet on all that. I thought about continuing on with the kit I’ve got for more serious stuff and just adding an X100V for kid/family/walk around but I guess they haven’t been in stock anywhere for a while now. Has anyone heard anything about when there might be more for sale in the US market?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So nobody really too bullish for Nikon mirrorless, huh? They seem like a good deal… at least, the Z7II seems like it gets you a lot of resolution and DR for less than what an R5 costs. And the lens situation is about the same as canon regarding the pricy new-mount stuff vs huge pool of adaptable lenses.

I think the problem with Nikon is well covered here: https://petapixel.com/2022/04/14/nikon-doesnt-want-cameras-to-be-its-core-business-anymore/

Basically, the last time I was interested in Nikon seriously it was as a gimmick camera when I lived in Japan: the Nikon 1, using adapted Japanese market C mount lenses for giggles (some of which are actually amazing).

But I just don't have the confidence in uncertain times to put stock in Nikon given their current financial crisis. They don't particularly win on cost or features. They no longer seem to have their niche markets post mirrorless transition. I don't see a great path to recovery unless they can convince the Japanese Domestic Market of their products, which is something they are utterly failing at doing with their market share being largely flat iirc.

And I'm sad about it because basically the entire photography sector could be Nikon at any point.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m a Nikon fan and like their current offerings — and I think you can make an argument for their stuff on cost and features. The Z5 is great for entry level full frame, the Z9 is very competitive in both price and features (though good luck getting one), they’ve been making decent progress with the Z lens lineup. The Z6 and Z7 both seem good in their respective resolution classes. I had a Z6 and really liked it, but moved to an S1H for video. Still way prefer the Nikon if I was just doing stills though. Sony has a big head start for third party lenses especially, and often have nice headline features, but I’d rather be on Nikon after having had a few of each. Haven’t been in the Canon world since the 5dmkii so less opinion there. Like the feel of their new bodies from what I’ve handled in stores though.

Edit: all that to say, I like the Z7II of those things, but it's from personal experiences with Sony telling me that it's not really my jam and liking the Z6. But also, FWIW with the Z7 v1 at least the video wasn't as good as it was on the Z6. I think it's still decent but worth considering depending on what's important to you on the video end of things.

I've been more Canon curious again lately as it'd be nice to have a C70 as a second camera and, if I had that, seems like it'd be natural to get something that can take RF glass for stills.

powderific fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 8, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
What's the favorite general purpose Fuji XF lens? It'd be going on an XT-20 for now, mostly for general touristy shooting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Arcella posted:

What's the favorite general purpose Fuji XF lens? It'd be going on an XT-20 for now, mostly for general touristy shooting.

Zoom - 18-55 2.8-4 should be available cheap used if you don’t already have one. It’s brilliant.

Prime - any of the Fujicrons, though I’d guess that the 50/2 is probably too long for touristy stuff. The 27 pancake is also an option.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the nikon Z series cameras are nicer to use, i think, than sonys. if lens selection were better, i'd have nikon

their future prospects are a little worrying, though

Ihmemies posted:

My Panasonic S1 has a large and smaller viewfinder image. You can switch between them. It wastes a portion of the viewfinder area and displays only black borders instead of utilizing the whole viewfinder area. That way eyeglass users can see the whole viewfinder.

i wish sony bodies had this :(

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

harperdc posted:

Zoom - 18-55 2.8-4 should be available cheap used if you don’t already have one. It’s brilliant.

Prime - any of the Fujicrons, though I’d guess that the 50/2 is probably too long for touristy stuff. The 27 pancake is also an option.

Cool, thanks. I have the 35 f2, but for anything <50mm equivalent I kinda just use my phone, so something with a bit more zoom would be nice.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Arcella posted:

Cool, thanks. I have the 35 f2, but for anything <50mm equivalent I kinda just use my phone, so something with a bit more zoom would be nice.
For a bit more reach I'm using the 16-80. I've been pretty happy with it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

pumped up for school posted:

For a bit more reach I'm using the 16-80. I've been pretty happy with it.

Same. Only caveat is max aperture of f/4.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Ihmemies posted:

That's nice, I wish my fuji could do that because my glasses cut off things just around the edges of the rangefinder. On the upside it lets me keep the settings indicators without having them in the way all the time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Arcella posted:

Yeah, in that case look for the 16-80 instead of the 18-55 zoom. Similar size but f/4 max aperture, but it does have IS so shouldn’t be a big problem.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Anyone have an opinion on the RX1rII? My local shop has them used for not much more than Amazon is scalping their last few silver X100V for. Seems like it has great IQ? But is it a slug to operate? I remember the A7rII being kind of sluggish, at least compared to an X-T30.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a bit slower than the A7RII fwiw. I rented one for like a day and the image quality was nice and I like the idea of the sensor/lens combo, but didn't much care for the handling on something that pricy. Seems pointless to have the main body so slippery and grip-less when the lens sticks out so far cause you aren't really saving space. They could have just added a bit of front grip and rubberizing and it would have been much nicer. At the time they were brand new so the steep MSRP factored into my dislike, not wanting to spend that much on something I didn't absolutely love and all that.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the RX1rII? My local shop has them used for not much more than Amazon is scalping their last few silver X100V for. Seems like it has great IQ? But is it a slug to operate? I remember the A7rII being kind of sluggish, at least compared to an X-T30.

Sony is the GOAT at making technically innovative cameras with great IQ that are extremely beige to actually shoot with.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

p0stal b0b posted:

What do you guys think are the chances of the Olympus E-M5 III dropping in price when the OM-5 is released later in the year? I'm looking for a new camera after the sensor on my last one fritzed, but I'm not sure if I should get the E-M5 III now, or wait...
It will definitely drop in price but who knows by how much. I haven't seen too many of them on the used market so I don't know if there are many people who want to upgrade when the new one arrives. It's made of (solid) plastic, so a lot of people moaned about it online when it was released. Have you looked at the E-M1 II? It's a great camera that's pretty cheap these days.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Looking at getting into Mirrorless. I have a DSLR (Nikon D5100), but really want to switch over to mirrorless, partially because it's where everything is moving but mostly because I like the idea of being able to see what my picture will look like with my settings before taking it.

I'm considering the Nikon Z50, Z fc, Z5; Sony A6100; Canon EOS M50m2; Fujifilm X-T4, X-T30.

This is mostly based on what's available in my country. Are any of these a clear standout, or a clear loser? Anything else I should be looking at? I have a couple of DX lenses for the Nikon, the 18-55 kit lens and an AF-S 18-200. I really like the dials on the Fujifilm and Z fc, but not sure how practical they are in reality. I'm really leaning toward the Z50, but I've seen a lot of people down on Nikon lately.

I'm mostly just going to be doing (very amateur) street photography and landscapes and the like.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The Z50/fC would be the obvious path to take since you can get an adapter and use the same lenses but yeah everyone seems to think that Nikon is going to shrivel up and die in the next 5 years and then you’ll be left with a dead system..

But going by what happened with Olympus, well, they got scooped up by investors and are still making new cameras and lenses. Nikon is more established in the market than Oly. I don’t think the rug is going to get pulled out from under the Nikon user base, but they have developed and offered basically fuckall in the way of APSC lenses for Z mount - just a couple of zooms that are roughly equivalent to what you already have, I think.

If anything, I could see Nikon’ mirrorless APSC systems languishing in a similar way that canon’s EOSM system is now, but even worse.

Of course you could always go full frame, but if you want to continue in the still often cheaper / lighter / smaller world of APSC system cameras, Fuji and Sony are still making new faster zooms and primes that are made for the sensor size. Fuji is somewhat more expensive, but there’s a healthy used market as they are pretty much the biggest game in town for purpose-built APSC gear now. Sony is keeping up, especially when you consider the third-party lens options, but the Fujis are definitely more user-friendly.

Expect around $1500 - $2000 to get into a Fuji outfit with roughly the same zoom coverage as your Nikon… $600 for a decent used or older new stock body (X-Txx, X-Ex), $400 for your used 18-55 f/2.8-4, $5-600 for your longer zoom.

If you can eat the cost, you can’t beat the system.

Edit: TBH I’m always impressed by how compact the 4-digit Nikon DSLRs are, and by the quality of the raw files. The 5100 is pretty old but you’re not going to be getting stratospherically better results from any mirrorless. More dynamic range; a touch more resolution… the big things that an X-T30 or Z50 has over the 5100 are 4K video and, as you mentioned, electronic viewfinders. You can still find modern performance in the Nikon APS DSLR world, and at a better price than mirrorless. It’s kind of a weird market right now.

Honestly you might want to just get a Z50 & FtZ adapter, but man, you can get some much more compact and better lenses with Fuji, and much cheaper options staying in F-mount. It’s basic nerd min/maxing… upgrade your Nikon DSLR body and add a new lens for the best value/cheapest option, or flush your Nikon gear and roll entirely new Fuji stuff. That’s the way I see it, at least.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 21, 2022

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The Z50/fC would be the obvious path to take since you can get an adapter and use the same lenses but yeah everyone seems to think that Nikon is going to shrivel up and die in the next 5 years and then you’ll be left with a dead system..

But going by what happened with Olympus, well, they got scooped up by investors and are still making new cameras and lenses. Nikon is more established in the market than Oly. I don’t think the rug is going to get pulled out from under the Nikon user base, but they have developed and offered basically fuckall in the way of APSC lenses for Z mount - just a couple of zooms that are roughly equivalent to what you already have, I think.

If anything, I could see Nikon’ mirrorless APSC systems languishing in a similar way that canon’s EOSM system is now, but even worse.

Of course you could always go full frame, but if you want to continue in the still often cheaper / lighter / smaller world of APSC system cameras, Fuji and Sony are still making new faster zooms and primes that are made for the sensor size. Fuji is somewhat more expensive, but there’s a healthy used market as they are pretty much the biggest game in town for purpose-built APSC gear now. Sony is keeping up, especially when you consider the third-party lens options, but the Fujis are definitely more user-friendly.

Expect around $1500 - $2000 to get into a Fuji outfit with roughly the same zoom coverage as your Nikon… $600 for a decent used or older new stock body (X-Txx, X-Ex), $400 for your used 18-55 f/2.8-4, $5-600 for your longer zoom.

If you can eat the cost, you can’t beat the system.

Edit: TBH I’m always impressed by how compact the 4-digit Nikon DSLRs are, and by the quality of the raw files. The 5100 is pretty old but you’re not going to be getting stratospherically better results from any mirrorless. More dynamic range; a touch more resolution… the big things that an X-T30 or Z50 has over the 5100 are 4K video and, as you mentioned, electronic viewfinders. You can still find modern performance in the Nikon APS DSLR world, and at a better price than mirrorless. It’s kind of a weird market right now.

Honestly you might want to just get a Z50 & FtZ adapter, but man, you can get some much more compact and better lenses with Fuji, and much cheaper options staying in F-mount. It’s basic nerd min/maxing… upgrade your Nikon DSLR body and add a new lens for the best value/cheapest option, or flush your Nikon gear and roll entirely new Fuji stuff. That’s the way I see it, at least.

This might be a weird question, but is full frame just generally superior to APS-C? If so, is it worth spending that much for APS-C when I could get a Z5 cheaper?

I didn't mention it earlier, but I also want to photograph wargame miniatures...would the sensor size matter for that application?

I've considered just staying with DSLR, but it honestly drives me bonkers to have to take a shot to see what it looks like after getting used to my phone camera.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
oh now you did it

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

This might be a weird question, but is full frame just generally superior to APS-C? If so, is it worth spending that much for APS-C when I could get a Z5 cheaper?

I didn't mention it earlier, but I also want to photograph wargame miniatures...would the sensor size matter for that application?

I've considered just staying with DSLR, but it honestly drives me bonkers to have to take a shot to see what it looks like after getting used to my phone camera.

Better is relative. For similar gen sensor cmpparisons (i.e. not comparing a ten year old full frame sensor with a current APS-C one), full frame lets you pack either more pixels on the sensor or to make the same number bigger. More pixels means more resolution (which is less important than camera manufacturers would have you believe), bigger pixels means better low-liht poerformance (which is a big deal honestly).

The cons of that are pretty hefty though. You have a larger sensor so you need larger lenses to throw an image circle that can cover it. Bigger lenses mean more expensive lenses. Bigger sensors eat more power and generate more heat requiring more heat management hardware and biger batteries. This adds to the physical size of the body. In addition to that, because hte use cases for full frame are almost all for pro or wannabe pro photogs, full frame bodies come with pro-level features like multiple card slots, additional controls for shooting inn different orientations and so on. This makes them bigger and heavier still.

When comparing equivalent gen bodies the full frame one will be multiple times more expensive than the APS-C one. this is largely for the reasons mentioned above, but also because making sensors gets exponentially more expensive the bigger they are. Timy ones for mobile phones and security cameras are cheap because you get a lot of them on a wafer, and a random distribution of failts on the wafer still results in a decent yield. With bigger sensors, not only do you not get as many per wafer, an average number of bad sectors can trash the entire wafer. Canon released a white paper about it a few years ago in which they esitmated that fab costs for a full frame sensor were 20x the cost of an APS-C chip, Processes have improved since then but it's still a big step up in cost.

These days, we are lucky to have amazingly capable APS-C bodies from all the major manufacturers. If you are doing general purpose photography and don't have a specific need for full-frame, then it's unlikely that you'll notice a massive increase in image quality from a good APS-C body to a workhorse full frame.

I have a 5Div and it's a beast of a camera. I upgraded from a 70D which was 2 generations old at that point, and I noticed a difference for sure, but it probably wasn't equal to the cost of the 5Div as compared to a straight upgrade to the 90D. The difference in cost between those platofrms when I upgraded was about $2500. In additon I had to replace all of my APS-C lenses with full frame versions. I didn't get $2500+ worth of better pictures from my upgrade.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If you takin pictures of little stuff, you want to stay with apsc imho.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If you takin pictures of little stuff, you want to stay with apsc imho.

That's arguable, but for miniatures it doesn't matter, really, as they're not that small and all shooting conditions are controllable. Set base ISO and whatever the lens' optimal aperture is and you can focus stack the whole drat squad of space marines and the eldritch horrors behind them about to rip their heads off.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Devorum posted:

Looking at getting into Mirrorless. I have a DSLR (Nikon D5100), but really want to switch over to mirrorless, partially because it's where everything is moving but mostly because I like the idea of being able to see what my picture will look like with my settings before taking it.

I'm considering the Nikon Z50, Z fc, Z5; Sony A6100; Canon EOS M50m2; Fujifilm X-T4, X-T30.

This is mostly based on what's available in my country. Are any of these a clear standout, or a clear loser? Anything else I should be looking at? I have a couple of DX lenses for the Nikon, the 18-55 kit lens and an AF-S 18-200. I really like the dials on the Fujifilm and Z fc, but not sure how practical they are in reality. I'm really leaning toward the Z50, but I've seen a lot of people down on Nikon lately.

I'm mostly just going to be doing (very amateur) street photography and landscapes and the like.

I really like my Fuji X cameras and lenses. They’re not for everyone but I have found them to be perfect for my use - similar to yours with street and landscape.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Devorum posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is some of those models you listed are at different spots in the company’s lineup - for Fujifilm, the X-T4 is a higher grade than the X-T30. Sensor is the same, but there are a few features more suited for amateurs with money/real pros.

My advice would be to look at the X-T30 level, even trying to find an X-T20 used. It’s a huge step up from what you have, gives you a step into that ecosystem (whether it’s Fuji or Sony or Nikon Z), and the lenses should be transferable if you find yourself more limited by the camera in the future.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

harperdc posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is some of those models you listed are at different spots in the company’s lineup - for Fujifilm, the X-T4 is a higher grade than the X-T30. Sensor is the same, but there are a few features more suited for amateurs with money/real pros.

My advice would be to look at the X-T30 level, even trying to find an X-T20 used. It’s a huge step up from what you have, gives you a step into that ecosystem (whether it’s Fuji or Sony or Nikon Z), and the lenses should be transferable if you find yourself more limited by the camera in the future.

I think X-T30 II is my current plan. Finding anything used is rough over here, and the only place that sells Fuji is in the next country over and doesn't have anything below the T30 II. The major thing pushing toward the X-T4 is the weather sealing, since I live in a literal desert and dust is a constant issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Devorum posted:

I think X-T30 II is my current plan. Finding anything used is rough over here, and the only place that sells Fuji is in the next country over and doesn't have anything below the T30 II. The major thing pushing toward the X-T4 is the weather sealing, since I live in a literal desert and dust is a constant issue.

Weather sealing helps, but it isn't anything like an IPXX rating like on a phone. All weather sealing means is they have design features that should help seal it against dust, rain, etc, but the exact specifics of what that can mean is vague. If you get caught in an actual dust storm then your camera still will probably take some damage,

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/08/please-dont-take-our-photography-and-video-gear-to-burning-man/

Extreme example, but it illustrates the point.

So it might not be the worst idea to buy a cheaper (and used) body to get you into the system, then it won't sting as bad if it does start to develop problems because of the dust.