Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

wokow6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMxiSH1Otw

Not sure if this has been shared here yet, but I think it's really cool how FFXIV keeps trying to make itself more accessible to new players.

It's a cute art style, even if the voicework and script are 100% corporate infomercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yoshida dropped some info on 6.2. Contains some pretty vague and general story spoilers if you wanna give that miss, but there's some interesting stuff in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/wjvj19/yoshida_interview_on_62_new_info_on_main_story/

Of note is that there's no housing element to Island Sanctuary at all, and that the delayed reworks for AST and DRG were not as comprehensive as the EW SMN rework, they were more on the level of the early-ShB NIN rework. Variant dungeons are also gonna have something like Pomanders or Logos/Lost actions

Also, (6.2 gameplay/story) 6.2 is gonna have a trial but Yoshida won't say whether or not if it's part of a series. Scarmiglione is mentioned but he didn't say if it was a dungeon or trial boss

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"- The weather will change on the island, but it will not snow, since it is located in an area of the world where it doesn't snow. "

This is a bummer. I was really hoping for biomes. I want snow

Also it's not surprising the island isn't gonna have any real housing stuff, but then I also don't really understand what the point of it is. Can we not customize or decorate our hut/house/tent there or what? It's kind of sounding like the island sanctuary is more like Doman Restoration and Doman Restoration is... nothing. I guess it's cool your pets can hang out there?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And the relics are going to be ARR/HW-style this time around, apparently.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lawful Evil is a stable equilibrium point for healers. The only question is whether you fall into it sooner or later than average.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Macaluso posted:

"- The weather will change on the island, but it will not snow, since it is located in an area of the world where it doesn't snow. "

Also it's not surprising the island isn't gonna have any real housing stuff, but then I also don't really understand what the point of it is. Can we not customize or decorate our hut/house/tent there or what? It's kind of sounding like the island sanctuary is more like Doman Restoration and Doman Restoration is... nothing. I guess it's cool your pets can hang out there?

I'm a little sad there's no outdoor housing elements on the island, but maybe it's something they'll be able to add in the future if they get feedback. It's a little silly how frequently retainers bring back housing items when housing is such a sharply limited thing in the game.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Didn't they say there would be two islands at one point or another? Maybe that got scrapped, but if it didn't maybe the other island will be at a snowy latitude. Also it specifically says no "housing items" but we know Island Sanctuary has its own dedicated inventory system so I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't still some customization options going on there.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

They mentioned you can customize stuff and let minions run around, the deal is it's all self contained.

Which is a shame, giving players a place to dump outdoor furnishings and do gardening even if it has none of the other housing options would do a lot to aleviate housing complaints.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

And the relics are going to be ARR/HW-style this time around, apparently.

What does this mean?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Not tied to a particular type of content like Eureka/Bozja weapons were, presumably (outside of progressing Hildebrand to the current point). Instead of having the grind be limited to or greatly benefit from a specific type of content you'll be able to progress them in from a pool of content types.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

hazardousmouse posted:

What does this mean?

Quests that have you do a bunch of different things to upgrade your relic as opposed to the Eureka/Bozja "go grind this type of content until you have enough tokens to get your next upgrade" model.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Heavensward relic was probably my favourite to work on. Most steps had a variety of ways to proceed, be them simply poetics, or obtaining items that were rewards from multiple different sources.

Grinding bozja / crystal tower was beyond tedious.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

W.T. Fits posted:

Quests that have you do a bunch of different things to upgrade your relic as opposed to the Eureka/Bozja "go grind this type of content until you have enough tokens to get your next upgrade" model.

Finally a new poetics dump.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Chillgamesh posted:

Of note is that there's no housing element to Island Sanctuary at all

Then I just don't give a gently caress :( Lack of housing is souring me. My retainers are filled with outside junk I've collected along the years from rewards and poo poo and I'm just gonna junk it all. I can't use it why have it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my sigma grindset in bozja was that I wasn't only grinding for relic progress, but aligning it with other goals like farming fragments or resistance honors

delubrum is probably the biggest pain point now if you try to do it on your own but speedrun groups are a diamond dozen even today

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Technically Bozja also let you do other content, but it was all "do X for item drops".

We'll probably see a comeback of things like light or being able to trade crafted stuff to advance the relic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Vitamean posted:

diamond dozen

Unless there's some pun I'm missing, it's "dime a dozen."

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

my sigma grindset in bozja was that I wasn't only grinding for relic progress, but aligning it with other goals like farming fragments or resistance honors

+if you were grinding long enough you could grind several weapons at once, which is why I have a billion finished tier 1 and Law's Order weapons

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yeah the coolest part of the southern front steps was being able to run all the quests at once with different weapons so farming trash for fragments could also drop memories for step 1 and 2, and then jump into CEs or castrum for the 3rd step.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I finally got a small house and honestly what more could I need?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

I finally got a small house and honestly what more could I need?

A bigger house. The hunger will grow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Heavensward relic was probably my favourite to work on. Most steps had a variety of ways to proceed, be them simply poetics, or obtaining items that were rewards from multiple different sources.

Grinding bozja / crystal tower was beyond tedious.

Yeah. ARR/HW was the best.

IMHO: HW > ARR >>>>>>>>> StB >>>> ShB for relics.

I loving hated Bozja with the passion that most people hated Eureka, meanwhile I didn't mind Eureka as much. For me, Eureka was a chill grind. Bozja was just loving obnoxious. Worse zones than Eureka. Absolute dogshit story. Worse upgrade steps than Eureka. But both are vastly inferior to the ARR/HW model of relic upgrades.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Bozja is the only one I still haven’t finished at least one relic with, since they tried to have it both ways and had multiple points where you can easily just stall out.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

sorry to do it to you, but the final resistance pld sword and the entire eurekan drk line are badass

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, Bozja is the only one I still haven’t finished at least one relic with, since they tried to have it both ways and had multiple points where you can easily just stall out.

I have a friend who's probably never going to finish their first relic because they're stuck on the "gather 180 tokens from either Zadnor skirmishes/CEs or synched HW/StB/ShB 8-player raids" step because they hate grinding in Bozja/Zadnor and grinding the raids takes too much time and effort.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

going back to arr/hw style relic progression is pretty lame, even if bozja had a parallel track for it already

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What's wrong with HW style relics? They gave the player a choice on how to complete most steps, rather than grind this specific set of garbage.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You only say that now when we don't know what the un-nerfed light farming step will be yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What's wrong with HW style relics? They gave the player a choice on how to complete most steps, rather than grind this specific set of garbage.

I would rather do new content than old content

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the thing that gets me for ARR and HW relics in particular are the light grinds. I'd like to think the devs have learned enough to never drop another garbage step like books on us again, but lights at first availability are the second most miserable kind of relic step and I'll own up to pagos lights being the worst part of eurekan weapons, but at least there after your first physeos every subsequent weapon is several magnitudes easier to grind light on.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Honestly the main thing I'm gonna miss from not having a mass PvE zone is the large-scale raids. Even if it was annoying to deal with leechers after a while tanking a boss with 40+ players at your back is cool as hell. I hope they still do something like CLL/Dalriada this expansion even if there's no open-world zone attached to it.

Bozja also gave you options for everything on every step I think?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I was a maniac that loved the concurrent work you could do on ShB stages and did drat near all of them

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

I would rather do new content than old content

Most of the Bozja relic sent you out for old content anyways.

Chillgamesh posted:

Bozja also gave you options for everything on every step I think?

Yeah, but it was like farm bozja fates at 1%, or farm Crystal Tower. A choice, but they both sucked.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Bozja loving sucks. Sorry. I would rather do old content for ever than that dogshit.

Here, grind this blasted out warzone that is loving boring to look at while Matsuno huffs his own farts for 20 hours.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

I was a maniac that loved the concurrent work you could do on ShB stages and did drat near all of them

correct

Mordiceius posted:

Bozja loving sucks. Sorry. I would rather do old content for ever than that dogshit.

Here, grind this blasted out warzone that is loving boring to look at while Matsuno huffs his own farts for 20 hours.

incorrect

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Bozja was a cool zone. The critical engagements were fun fights and the story, as all things Matsuno, was good.

Southern Front's aesthetic got a little stale after a while, but I thought it was fine.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mordiceius posted:

Ok.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Eureka owns, Bozja owns. FF12 owns and Soken basing the music for Bozja entirely off a lady singing for two seconds in a made up language he heard on a random sample album owns most of all.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also a lot of mats weren't initially available through poetics if I remember right, that was just something that happened as they gradually nerfed the relic steps in future expansion patches. Like I'm positive Aether oil was literally just re-running Crystal Tower repeatedly, and Crystal Sand was a lot more troublesome without a crafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chillgamesh posted:

Eureka owns, Bozja owns. FF12 owns and Soken basing the music for Bozja entirely off a lady singing for two seconds in a made up language he heard on a random sample album owns most of all.

:hmmyes: