Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Speaking of bad parenting I was letting my daughter steal my glasses off my face because she'd try to be sneaky (slowly reach out with her hands while staring directly at them) about it then cackle every time she pulled off the spectacle heist. We've got a lot of family members who wear glasses. I've created a monster.

Rookie mistake on my part.

This is us right now, my daughter snatches the glasses off my face and insists on putting them on her mom's face before giving them back (sort of)

It's cute and funny but she is a monster lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, my basically blind wife has Opinions about glasses, specifically that they are at all times completely off limits. I (no glasses) got in trouble a few times for suggesting they could be fun to take, and now everyone accepts that.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hahaha what a jerk, my kid just knocked a plate of his food (just some cheese and bread thankfully, nothing too gross) off his table ON PURPOSE, and when i asked him to please clean it up he said "no dada pick up".

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
my almost 2 year old somehow knows exactly where my nipples are at all times and when I'm carrying her will sometimes cling to my chest in such a way that all her weight is briefly hanging off my poor nip

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

hahaha what a jerk, my kid just knocked a plate of his food (just some cheese and bread thankfully, nothing too gross) off his table ON PURPOSE, and when i asked him to please clean it up he said "no dada pick up".

My kid (like many) had a phase where he would end every meal by knocking over his cup. We got some good reflexes from that.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I think I got some substantial insight into "misbehaving" kiddo this weekend. I had a doctor's appointment out of town; I took her with me, and besides being kind of bored in the car but tolerating it (we alternate music picks and mine are mostly stuff she likes anyway) and having to play games in a mask for an hour at my actual appointment, I think it was a lot of fun for her. She'd heard about airbnbs but never stayed in one and then the next day before we came back we spent 2-3 hours at a sort of combination science museum and semi-ethical zoo (no large animals, etc). It had a train and a planetarium, we did masks everywhere and actually it seemed like most people did indoors at least. Anyway, she had some of her normal stuff like not wanting to eat anything that's not sweet, picking out dinner foods and then not liking them, etc, but we negotiated through all of it with no breakdowns. To be fair, I buckled on one toy purchase I normally would have held a firm no on (already got her one thing), but, we were on a
"vacation" that was already a grand between a rental, a rental car, the appointment itself, gas and food, and I didn't think a $20 stuffed fox breaks bank or brains at that point. She made a bunch of comments throughout about how it was nice/interesting to do a just-us trip, and even when she seemed burned our in the car 4/5 the way home, I asked her if she'd had fun and she thought for a second and said "yes, I'd say I enjoyed it" :lol:

Point of all that is, no problems and then everything went to absolute poo poo within an hour of getting back. She was initially very happy to see mom and sis, but became increasingly noncompliant and finally when I had temporarily recused myself I heard a clatter and some raised voices from downstairs, and it sounds like what happened is that her little sister was sitting on the (mini) trampoline in the living room and she just... pulled her off, bump on the floor, while my wife was standing right there. Unhelpful behavior but it's real obvious it's got everything to do with mama/younger sis dynamics.

We put her on a new behavior chart; any physical violence == zero sugar the next day. I've noticed through this progression she's become a pickier eater and basically will only reliably eat carbs and sweet stuff, as someone with lifetime ADHD I know that can be a big factor and I think we just have to work diet/sleep/meditation/exercise on a schedule right now.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

different categories can create very different perceptions of your child. you have to qualify under certain special Ed categories to get help beyond a 504 plan. some of the categories have reputations.

be prepared to tell them things and then they don’t listen, then they do the assessments and they tell you the things you already told them. insist on a full evaluation.
This gets into dark territory for me because I was labelled as a kid and it led to a lot of, uh, I'd say iatrogenic harm at the hands of psychophama obsession psych-MDs who liked to mix and match poo poo with no peer reviewed evidentiary basis for doing so, and I don't even know if I want our school district to think that we believe she had behavioral issues. Part of me thinks if she can hold her poo poo together at school and not get in trouble, that's generally better than involvement with the school disciplinary system.

Note that I, myself, am a semi reformed nutcase and I did a lot of dumb poo poo in gradeschool, from selling an inoperative-but-technically-a-machinegun Uzi to a kid for $20 at one point (lol Montana) to shitloads of acid before 1st period (lol the pickard missile silo), and I don't actually think any intervention attempted ever did jack poo poo despite extremely involved and on the ball parents; I just got lucky enough to live through it all without much of a criminal record and the fell upwards because I was white and Computer Gifted at the right moment :allears:

I was dx ADHD and shoved on amphetamines when I was 13, ritalin + SSRIs at 14, didn't start loving with recreational drugs until I was 17 and my thinking at the time was "I've been forced to take horrid poo poo for years, why not try the fun ones?" -- so, yeah, I have a biased and hosed up view of the pediatric psychological system we have.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cabbages and Kings posted:

We put her on a new behavior chart; any physical violence == zero sugar the next day. I've noticed through this progression she's become a pickier eater and basically will only reliably eat carbs and sweet stuff, as someone with lifetime ADHD I know that can be a big factor and I think we just have to work diet/sleep/meditation/exercise on a schedule right now.

there have been some studies about large quantity vitamin supplements helping ADHD out of a couple universities in Oregon.

This gets into dark territory for me because I was labelled as a kid and it led to a lot of, uh, I'd say iatrogenic harm at the hands of psychophama obsession psych-MDs who liked to mix and match poo poo with no peer reviewed evidentiary basis for doing so, and I don't even know if I want our school district to think that we believe she had behavioral issues. Part of me thinks if she can hold her poo poo together at school and not get in trouble, that's generally better than involvement with the school disciplinary system.

consider private school. we had a “good” outcome. it have been better at good Montessori school or Waldorf or 2E specialized school.

Note that I, myself, am a semi reformed nutcase and I did a lot of dumb poo poo in gradeschool, from selling an inoperative-but-technically-a-machinegun Uzi to a kid for $20 at one point (lol Montana) to shitloads of acid before 1st period (lol the pickard missile silo), and I don't actually think any intervention attempted ever did jack poo poo despite extremely involved and on the ball parents; I just got lucky enough to live through it all without much of a criminal record and the fell upwards because I was white and Computer Gifted at the right moment :allears:

I was dx ADHD and shoved on amphetamines when I was 13, ritalin + SSRIs at 14, didn't start loving with recreational drugs until I was 17 and my thinking at the time was "I've been forced to take horrid poo poo for years, why not try the fun ones?" -- so, yeah, I have a biased and hosed up view of the pediatric psychological system we have.

I’ve picked this fight in this thread before but I think a lot of ADHD and 2E G&T kids get miscategorized as oppositional defiant to great harm.

lies extremely early, intense emotional outbursts, high energy, strong fixations on ideas with moral weight that other people might ignore. when I was young i had a classmate kid blow out a lab full of equipment in elementary school tens of thousands of dollars in damages by bypassing the GFCI between a pair of outlets.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

kecske posted:

Today I asked my kid if he needed to use the potty and he looked me dead in the eyes and said no, and immediately poo poo his pants. cool flex I guess

sorry to say, but you're his kid now

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

I think I got some substantial insight into "misbehaving" kiddo this weekend. I had a doctor's appointment out of town; I took her with me, and besides being kind of bored in the car but tolerating it (we alternate music picks and mine are mostly stuff she likes anyway) and having to play games in a mask for an hour at my actual appointment, I think it was a lot of fun for her. She'd heard about airbnbs but never stayed in one and then the next day before we came back we spent 2-3 hours at a sort of combination science museum and semi-ethical zoo (no large animals, etc). It had a train and a planetarium, we did masks everywhere and actually it seemed like most people did indoors at least. Anyway, she had some of her normal stuff like not wanting to eat anything that's not sweet, picking out dinner foods and then not liking them, etc, but we negotiated through all of it with no breakdowns. To be fair, I buckled on one toy purchase I normally would have held a firm no on (already got her one thing), but, we were on a
"vacation" that was already a grand between a rental, a rental car, the appointment itself, gas and food, and I didn't think a $20 stuffed fox breaks bank or brains at that point. She made a bunch of comments throughout about how it was nice/interesting to do a just-us trip, and even when she seemed burned our in the car 4/5 the way home, I asked her if she'd had fun and she thought for a second and said "yes, I'd say I enjoyed it" :lol:

Point of all that is, no problems and then everything went to absolute poo poo within an hour of getting back. She was initially very happy to see mom and sis, but became increasingly noncompliant and finally when I had temporarily recused myself I heard a clatter and some raised voices from downstairs, and it sounds like what happened is that her little sister was sitting on the (mini) trampoline in the living room and she just... pulled her off, bump on the floor, while my wife was standing right there. Unhelpful behavior but it's real obvious it's got everything to do with mama/younger sis dynamics.

All I can really say is this is exactly the kind of information you need to share when you do start the process. GOOD LUCK!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

wow, hand, foot, and mouth disease absolutely sucks. my toddler isn't eating at all, and i'm just waiting to see if my wife and i get sick with it. :\

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Insanite posted:

wow, hand, foot, and mouth disease absolutely sucks. my toddler isn't eating at all, and i'm just waiting to see if my wife and i get sick with it. :\

It's really, really awful.

Good thing you can actually get it more then once, contrary to common belief, because there's different strains. Source: my wife got it twice from our kid

It's way way worse as an adult, too, just uh, good luck!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Insanite posted:

Goonspeed, good poster

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Insanite posted:

We just had it make the rounds here and it sucks unbelievable amounts of rear end

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

yep, we were in rural pa when our daughter spiked a 103 fever and refused to eat. thank goodness we weren’t the 10% or whatever whose fingernails fall out from it!

edit: this is also when we broke our no cocomelon rule, and that was a long rear end car ride back to Michigan.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Aug 8, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

yep, we were in rural pa when our daughter spiked a 103 fever and refused to eat. thank goodness we weren’t the 10% or whatever whose fingernails fall out from it!

edit: this is also when we broke our no cocomelon rule, and that was a long rear end car ride back to Michigan.

consensus seems like I’m in for no fun.

cocomelon is likewise verboten here except under the most dire circumstances.

same with blippi. that voice. shudder.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Insanite posted:

same with blippi. that voice. shudder.

it could be worse we ran into his ex girlfriend in Tacoma doing I can’t remember what and she pointed us at the show before it was big. I am so tired of blippi.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Good soup! posted:

We just had it make the rounds here and it sucks unbelievable amounts of rear end

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm happy little man likes blaze instead of blippi these days

Blippi is such a weird, scary-dumb show

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
pink eye last week, ear infection this week. summer camp is going fantastic

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

fosborb posted:

pink eye last week, ear infection this week. summer camp is going fantastic

last week of camp for my kid and even though she’s masked she might have strep…

was negative on lucira test so got an appt at 2 for strep test. she complained of a head ache at camp(that went away) but she had a fever spike to 103 and said throat hurts this morning. with Motrin she’s feeling better but going to take her in.

she’s worried about what virus she has since she loves this kid book of viruses and asks about HPV and smallpox a lot now…

she made up a virus called Octopox which is from an octopus and I’m not going to talk about monkey pox right now since I can’t fuel more anxiety since she’s a bit too aware of covid and tells kids it ain’t over frequently.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

trying ot keep blippi away from my kid as long as possible, currently he is obsessed with thomas the tank engine and daniel tiger. these shows seem fine.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

my 2yo daughter has started telling me that she doesn't like me and I know it's just noise but it still hurts my feelings :(

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

bitmap posted:

my 2yo daughter has started telling me that she doesn't like me and I know it's just noise but it still hurts my feelings :(

it will pass don’t take it personally. at that age my kid wanted me to be a dad to a different family. it’s just them trying to cope with their emotions. some kids just go real hard about it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

trying ot keep blippi away from my kid as long as possible, currently he is obsessed with thomas the tank engine and daniel tiger. these shows seem fine.

Daniel tiger's fine yeah, prime has some originals that are pretty solid too like creative galaxy, tumble leaf, stinky and dirty

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just make sure none of them are turning your children into Russian sleeper agents

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bitmap posted:

got a : “I’ll cut you.” from the four year old yesterday

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

tumble leaf is quite good.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bitmap posted:

lol a few weeks ago my kid said "mommy i love you" and i said "oh do you love daddy too?" and he said "daddy i love baseball". stone cold.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
condolances on the HFM, goon

hope everyone feels better soon

it's so unfair, we don't even have hooves

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

oh wait, "hand foot mouth", why do i always think hoof

did someome say hoof?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

oh wait, "hand foot mouth", why do i always think hoof

did someome say hoof?

Hoof and Mouth disease is a thing, and if you've been through ports or over borders of any kind there's often signs up about not transporting certain things for the risk of transmitting it

I always think hoof and mouth first too

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I was a little too forceful in my banning of Blippi because now if the oldest sees a the video thumbnail he just yells, "That's the guy that's not nice!"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

I was a little too forceful in my banning of Blippi because now if the oldest sees a the video thumbnail he just yells, "That's the guy that's not nice!"

my kids will yell BOO ADVERTISERS any time a commercial comes on to anything

I regret nothing about this

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

silvergoose posted:

my kids will yell BOO ADVERTISERS any time a commercial comes on to anything

I regret nothing about this

same , however you can’t skip ads on Hulu so she started singing jingles and I was like time to pay for no ads..

I guess I should be thankful the ads on Hulu kids shows are for grown up services so I’m not being asked to buy paw patrol poo poo or whatever.

however, a weekend with my 7 yr old nephew at a cabin(his parents brought his switch and Xbox smh), my kid asked about getting a switch and Roblox bux.

I said for the switch, when you can read better and do well in school. and a hard no for Roblox. after an hour watching that “game” it’s straight up garbage. also told my kid you only can play games that reward skill.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Git gud, son

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

my kid really digs mr rogers, luckily.
misterrogers.org has free eps up. rotates the selection every couple of weeks.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ada Twist, Scientist on Netflix is pretty decent. The book series its based on is good for younger children, too.

Cat In The Hat Knows A Lot About That is on PBS Kids (handful of rotating episodes), Amazon Prime (some 45 minute movies, one season free I think?), and also now Netflix. Both our kids (3 & 5 now, watched it for the last 18 months or so) really like it, it isn't obnoxious/annoying, and has good lessons about teamwork, nature, science, etc.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What age do you start tv? I held off until 2 because of the APA's recommendation, then it turned out to be easier to just keep not having tv on around him.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My daughter showed zero interest in TV until she was maybe 2.5 years old unless she was super sick. Then a pandemic happened and we opened up more to something, anything to help keep her and her then-1 year old brother more entertained. Now they get 15-30 minutes after dinner as a wind down time before bedtime as long as we don't have something else going on. Otherwise, the TV isn't really on in our house unless I turn on a baseball or football game in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

ikanreed posted:

What age do you start tv? I held off until 2 because of the APA's recommendation, then it turned out to be easier to just keep not having tv on around him.

basically held off until 2 for the same reason, plus I’m not keen on the children’s marketing/media industrial complex sinking its claws into my kid.

went out the window while he had covid, of course. now he knows what frozen is.

he’s also getting whatever distracts him best right now, as hydration during HFMD seems more important than media purity, but holy cow there is a lot of trash out there.