Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

when I was last in Taiwan you couldn't find any Mexican

not a one :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The struggle to find even barely acceptable Mexican food in Asia is one of the low points of living there.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Grand Fromage posted:

The struggle to find even barely acceptable Mexican food in Asia is one of the low points of living there.

I don't recall finding any surströmming or mämmi restaurants in Beijing either, but that's not really a quantifiable opinion on the food scene there

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Scandinavian food needs to stay in Scandinavia.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

There's fresh Mex/Cali Mex

Macho burrito I think? And another somewhere walking distance from shida

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

McGavin posted:

i miss ikea julbord buffets but im weird like that

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

But yeah. I remember one day making tacos at home with adzuki beans, pork belly, and green onion pancake "taco shells"

Dire situation

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

McGavin posted:

Aw man, don't be like that :( it makes us sad

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre right tho

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

we’ve got masa now, which is pretty legit. there’s also the odd mexican dude who can cook just selling stuff on the street/out of a truck, but the last guy who did that well (七張捷運站的附近) seems to have hosed off

Horatius Bonar posted:

There's fresh Mex/Cali Mex

Macho burrito I think? And another somewhere walking distance from shida

Macho is the one which is round shida and it’s like okay if u want taco bell level stuff with tons of oil and salt. and to be fair that is sometimes exactly what i want.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

the real struggle is finding ethiopian food as far as i can tell there is one stall which is basically never open

(Weirdly there is a very good ethiopian restaurant in phnom penh)

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

yugioh mishima posted:

we’ve got masa now, which is pretty legit. there’s also the odd mexican dude who can cook just selling stuff on the street/out of a truck, but the last guy who did that well (七張捷運站的附近) seems to have hosed off

Macho is the one which is round shida and it’s like okay if u want taco bell level stuff with tons of oil and salt. and to be fair that is sometimes exactly what i want.

Nono there's the other one, like a cantina place, rooftop patio and margaritas, on a corner

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Darkest Auer posted:

I don't recall finding any surströmming or mämmi restaurants in Beijing either, but that's not really a quantifiable opinion on the food scene there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you're even supposed to make your own mammi. rye flour and malted rye is straightforward enough to get

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Horatius Bonar posted:

But yeah. I remember one day making tacos at home with adzuki beans, pork belly, and green onion pancake "taco shells"

Dire situation

I eventually asked my mom to send me a box of Mexican ingredients so I could cook for myself.

That said, I have been told that since I left a few legit, well stocked Mexican groceries have popped up on Taobao so in the mainland you can at least cook at home relatively easily.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Horatius Bonar posted:

There's an authentic Canadian restaurant in Taipei, the poutine even had properly squeaky cheese curds imported from Quebec lol.

You ever tried to eat cheese in china you know what kind of feat that is.

Are you talking about Whalen's? They have been gone for a while unless there is another one.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

Are you talking about Whalen's? They have been gone for a while unless there is another one.

gently caress that was it. Rip.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Grand Fromage posted:

Oceania too

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Gervasius posted:

Roger Waters was claiming White Helmets false-flagged Douma sarin attacks to blame Assad the Lion or something similar. He boarded Bad Takes Train a few stops ago.

Ngl I thought you were talking about John Waters at first and was very loving confused.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am so loving spoiled for international cuisine living in Bangkok.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I am so loving spoiled for international cuisine living in Bangkok.

Yeah I was really surprised at what was available there. Doesn't get the attention but Bangkok's right up there with Hong Kong and Tokyo. Best Ethiopian food I've ever had.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

yugioh mishima posted:

the real struggle is finding ethiopian food as far as i can tell there is one stall which is basically never open

(Weirdly there is a very good ethiopian restaurant in phnom penh)

Best Mexican I had in the southern Hemisphere was from Phnom Penh, the family has closed up shop tho.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Kharnifex posted:

Best Mexican I had in the southern Hemisphere was from Phnom Penh, the family has closed up shop tho.

Probably hard to stay in business if they’re making deliveries to the Southern Hemisphere.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
There are a couple of really good Mexican restaurants in Beijing now, bearing in mind that I am British and thus probably have a deformed palette, but I really like them...

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
china kfc #1

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

i was quite surprised by an actually mexican owned and operated chain of mexican restaurants here in new xiland

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

When I went to Indonesia like 20 years ago, there was a chain of Tex-mex restaurants with better food than pretty much any of the Mexican food I’d eaten in New England at that time. I have no idea if the chain still exists, but it was a really weird and pleasant surprise.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The KFC in Thailand is loving great too. Thai spices on fried chicken wings is goddamn amazing.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
When I was living in Shanghai there were at least two decent Mexican places, and a couple more mediocre ones. And in Suzhou there was a Nordic restaurant ran by a Finn, never ate there but it had decent reviews by locals.

Edit: I grew up in Norway and never been to Mexico, so I might not be the best person to judge what's good Mexican food.

fish and chips and dip fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 10, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
5000 years of mämmi culture

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Horatius Bonar posted:

One of you lives in Toronto, I remember eating at a restaurant so authentic when I went to the bathroom I honestly expected squat toilets, it was that good.

theres quite a few, toronto chinatown is pretty good (or at least it was, i havent lived int he city proper in about 8 years but grew up spending most of my time in the queen west/spadina area) sky dragon had pretty good dim sum and in more recent years theres a place like 2 doors down from it called golden noodle that is so authentic that the little elderly waitress says mean things to you under her breath if you dont look like a native chinese speaker. good food there too. ducks and doughnuts in the front window, the usual

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Toronto and Vancouver have a slew of very authentic Chinese restaurants. They both have large Chinatowns in their downtown core, but if you want the really authentic stuff you make the drive out to Markham in Toronto and Richmond in Vancouver.

I used to live in Richmond and my local mall food court had places that Chinese food youtube stars made pilgrimages to and David Chang visited in his episode about Vancouver. I just moved to Toronto, so I don't really know as much about it, but my Chinese in-laws live on the Markham border and always drive over whenever they want to buy something special for a family dinner.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Last year I was shocked by the number of Mexican places that had opened up in Tainan and Kaohsiung. Most weren't all that great but there was one taco stand in Tainan that was surprisingly legit. A far cry from the knockoff Chipotle that was the best option in Beijing.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I watch Xiaoma on youtube sometimes and those older Chinese people that are shocked by his fluent Chinese dialects seem so nice and impressed. Chinese people seem rad as heck :)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

imagine your entire schtick is "white guy speaks foreign language!!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jeoh posted:

imagine your entire schtick is "white guy speaks foreign language!!"

https://twitter.com/JohnF_Sullivan/status/1557067513451581440

i like this dudes schtick. its bend the knee when the nice minder tells him he hosed up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
We're hard at work bringing that policy to SA.

quote:

Please don't spend this much effort trying to justify war crimes. Part of the reason people have such a hard time getting into the thread and learning about narratives that compete with West's is because of posts like these. Trying to justify war crimes turns people off from the possibility of conversation that pushes back on NATO etc.'s "Truth," meaning we end up with fewer new posters willing to learn about what's happening in Ukraine. Keep this in mind when you get back. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is loving embarrassing.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnF_Sullivan/status/1557067513451581440

i like this dudes schtick. its bend the knee when the nice minder tells him he hosed up.

靴子味道如何?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I love how pointing out idiots, tankies, and just plain horrible people is perfectly fine as long as they're on reddit or twitter, but for the love of God, don't do it when it's on SA. It may force us to deal with the fact that we still can't solve that problem as those other platforms despite have 1/100,000th of the userbase and a mod staff that could read every report.