Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Two weeks away from seeing if our mama mojave Hornet has viable eggs. I mean if they hatch, are healthy, eat, etc. She has laid before, but right on the tank glass so it was not possible to move them. Had these in a hide box, and today, only the second time since she's laid, did she peek out some, look around, then duck back inside. Am sure she's been drinking (I spray the box lid and opening several times a day) but she's never left the eggs entirely.

Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just got handed a baby corn snake in an envelope :(

Plus: dude didn't dump it

Minus: that jr viv was earmarked for a adult albino rosy boa :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

I just got handed a baby corn snake in an envelope :(

Plus: dude didn't dump it

Minus: that jr viv was earmarked for a adult albino rosy boa :(

That is the lamest candygram ever.

How is the snake?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s been perfect corn snake temps this week so it seems none the worse for wear, and when so say that I mean it’s feisty as hell and was on a mission to escape until it found the bark tube and hid. it had a little note with hatch and first feeding day in there - was born 4th June and fed 7 days ago so it’s just tiny.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wow. We had plenty of animals dropped off when I worked at the pet store, ranging from people who would bring their dogs in on a leash, unleashing them and then walking out, people who left rats, Guinea pigs, and rabbits in display cages, and of course people who would come in with a 5 gallon bucket full of various fish they wanted to return to a corporately owned pet store.

I distinctly remember one guy with a 5 gallon bucket that had such a dirty water you couldn't see what fish were inside, and when we said we couldn't take them, he threatened to dump them in the parking lot because he was moving that day; thankfully a coworker with a pond took them all, and while I was bagging the fish and clean water for her, we discovered there was a black ghost knife about 8 in, all kinds of tetras and cories, and even a few palm-sized discus fish.

I think the pound would usually be called for the dogs, for the small mammals someone in the store would usually adopt them, that's how I ended up with my current guinea pig, who was dropped off at a friend's pet store, and how many people in our cat rescue have ended up with small mammals that were dropped off in such an oceans 11 reversal kind of way.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My advice to The Kids is that once you get a reputation for rescuing things, then you best make sure you got a lot of numbers for other people from smaller places who will take every single obscure animal you can think of in, because believe me you are going to need them. Like I do know someone else who would take this baby in, but he’s currently rehoming a dragon and 3 spider ball pythons so I’m taking on this one unless it won’t eat and there is third person who can take over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not sneks, Kansas based live food seller dubia.com has become the story of the day because they took a stand on the Roe Vs Wade decision, got death threats and donated $5k to the centre for reproductive rights as a FU.

https://www.facebook.com/DubiaRoaches

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Little Bearded Bobbi is shedding quite a bit today, and she wasn't as eager as usual to snatch up her mealworms. It looks like that's normal, right? Lethargy and low appetite while shedding? I figure I'll still at least try to feed her as much as usual and if she doesn't eat it she doesn't eat it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"wee bastard" as envelope snake is now known as he yearns for my flesh way more than he likes the idea of mouse, got shoved in a circular container overnight and bit the back end off a pinkie last Sunday so as a special reward is being left alone for a week.

Tortoise continues to be as much work as every other animal I have ever owned combined, including the horse.

Nobody in my real life cares that I competed my small collection with Europe's rarest snake. Verifiable captive bred blonde hognose, and the only one to have ever come on the market. Posting now he's been with me a week and has eaten a mouse like a good lad. I have a line on a female but I don't really want wild caught so the breeding thing depends on my reptile guy pulling strings for a promise of some babies. The sad thing is he was £225 because he's not a ball python so this is a eco project not a money thing

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat that a beautiful hoggie.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat that a beautiful hoggie.
:D

Madagascan hognose, there are three kinds; Leioheterodon madagascariensis the giant, which is a blackboard black with a yellow white checkerboard belly. The chonky boy of the trio with a big thick body and grows up to 6ft. Leioheterodon geayi the speckled, thin bodied up to 4ft in length and has the most friendly chilled out personality so the most popular. Then there is mine, Leioheterodon modestus the blonde, smallest of the 3 growing on average to 3.5 feet and the most nervous. None of them show aggression towards the keeper, and the funny thing is that they have significantly weaker venom than the regular tiny western hognose. They are all imported 99% of the time with the giant most likely to be bred in captivity, and wild caught can be hard to get onto rodents, especially F/T. The giant and the speckled can sometime be persuaded to take rat but the blonde will only eat mouse. Captive bred they tend to switch over from lizard scented F/T pinkies to unscented quite fast but the mouse preference stays with them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bought wee bastard a sticker

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My Tliltocatl sabulosus, Maggie, enjoying her first meal in 128 days.

She was my first T, purchased as a juvenile; now she's in the sub-adult territory. She was about two thirds of her adult size before her last moult a couple of weeks ago. She's a good spider and I love her.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

learnincurve posted:

I bought wee bastard a sticker

Wee bastard ate!

He had the back end off a pinkie last weekend but that was more likely chance because he violently attacked the thing that looked like my finger, but last night he got put in a round tub with a tuna scented pinkie and there is now a big lump in little snake's belly. Super high temps for the next week so I'm not going to feed him again till it's safe for him to overnight in the tub.

oh and he has a new thing. "I'm a rattle snek rattle rattle hissss!!" and he's figured out that if he vibrates his tail against the glass then it makes more noise.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

what a spicy child

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Snake eggs have piped. Mom snake, Hornet, is super protective. I think 2 of the eggs might have gone bad; at the very least they are deflated and each have a green spot on the sides, but I will wait. Will post pics assuming I still have fingers once they are out of the eggs. I have no plans to move anyone until the babies are out of the eggs.

Edit: moved four of the five babies this morning because two of them kept getting out of the lay box and then couldn't find a way to stay warm. One baby still an egg, other two eggs have not hatched or piped, Mommy snake continues to be a bottomless pit for food.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 12, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
so last night snooty the blonde hognose was a bit hissy, I ignored it and he chilled and started doing this adorable thing where he was burying his snoot in the black of one of my tattoos. Then I looked again and realised his bottom jaw was open and he was about to chomp down on the butterfly.

Daily feed records indicate that today is feeding day.

Sneks.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

We had a clutch of hognose eggs in our incubator.

Of 6 eggs, we've lost 3 so far, 44 days into incubation. Looks like those 3 failures were early on as only 1 had an embryo forming when we opened them to check how far along they had been.

For the remaining three, I'm unfortunately not hopeful. Worried it's our fault - we have an incubator set to 80 degrees, the eggs were sitting on new vermiculite, and we kept humidity between 75-82% pretty consistently. But it's our first clutch and not sure if that was too high or not. First clutch for this female too.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
In a few weeks I'm going to be the proud owner of a baby Russian rat snake. It's been about 15 years since I last owned a snake and I've got a completely different set-up going on.

Can someone please tell me whether or not I should actually stick my heat mat to the bottom (underside) of the glass tank, or leave a small gap between the mat and the glass instead? It's made to stick on but I see a lot of people online saying this will eventually crack the glass (and just as many disagreeing.) The mat will not cover the entire bottom of the tank in order to create a heat gradient, and my apartment tends to run cold, so I'm probably going to try leaving the adhesive paper on and using something (little rubber feet, I guess) to lift the tank up a bit to get that air gap (and to also keep the tank from sitting on the cord.) I just hope that will still be warm enough (I'm not using a screen top but one of those conversion kits where you turn the tank in its side.)

I do have a stat for the heat mat, by the way, although I'm seeing different opinions on the ideal placement for the probe.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the only time my heat mat cracked one of my tanks was when i had the tank sitting on carpeted flooring for awhile, so the heat was trapped and there was no ventilation

You can stick it right to the glass provided some substrate insulates your herp from direct contact and so long as your tank is slightly off whatever it's sitting on -- the little stick-on rubber feet you can get will provide enough space even if it's just like 1/8 inch

you just need some air circulating under there

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Air gap, and this is why. If you put your thermostat under the mat on the outside of the tank then micro adjust the temps depending on what a thermometer gun reads then the snake can never knock the probe and accidentally do a superheat. It shouldn't crack your glass if you stick it on because it won't get up to the temps that would do that with a thermostat. What would hurt the glass no matter if it's stuck on or not is if you turn the heat off at night and let it get cold which isn't something people with thermostats usually do.

The internet is filled with people who have never read a book trying to pass on their terrible husbandry to others. Also when you see people fight to the death over heat mats factor in the ambient temperature of where the snake is from. A Russian rat snake is found thriving in areas with incredible cold and not amazingly warm summers, (typical https://en.climate-data.org/asia/russian-federation/amur-oblast/blagoveshchensk-6324/ ) so it does not necessarily need the same heat of an overhead lamp and high humidity like a South American boa would.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Thanks very much for the replies!

Btw if anyone is interested in a Russian rat snake I got mine from Third Eye Herp, who just listed the hatchlings for sale a few days ago. I've never seen one in person but when I decided I was ready for another snake this is where my research led me, they apparently have really cool personalities.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a new 4x2x2 enclosure for Bobbi the Beardie that I'm going to put together when I am in my new place in a few weeks. A mix of play sand and coconut coir is good for her substrate, right? I'm currently using pure sand but I think that size terrarium would need two full bags and I just don't want to put 100 pounds of sand in for practical reasons.

Are there any concerns with using a heat pad with a PVC enclosure? My current one is glass, I'm not sure how PVC compares. It also seems like I'd need a low profile heat lamp setup if I was going to put it inside the enclosure, are there any good options? If not I'll just leave the heat lamp on the outside and move the UVB bulb inside so it's not getting blocked by the screen anymore.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a (good) update on wee bastard. He ate two tuna scented pinkies inside a tub, yesterday I looked over and he was sat inside the tub staring at me like a tiny doggie so I gets him a pinkie turned the tub over with him in it and he ate it like a good boy. Which is more than I can say for snooty who is in shed and huffy.

The tub,

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The leuc decided to pose for us this weekend:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
3 of the baby balls still have not eaten. Been out of first shed for since 7/22 or so. I do not want to brain pinkies but it's looking like a brainy weekend.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Cowslips Warren posted:

3 of the baby balls still have not eaten. Been out of first shed for since 7/22 or so. I do not want to brain pinkies but it's looking like a brainy weekend.

I accidentally popped a pinkie rat and Glencora (‘22 non- feeder rescue ball) snatched it off the tongs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Outstanding.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The room with my terrarium has been getting hot during the day sometimes, so that even with the heat lamp off it gets up to 90 at the cool end. Is there any way to cool down that side for my beardie? The only thing I can think of is one of those ice packs and sticking it on the cool side so that she can get closer/farther from it depending on what makes her comfortable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The room with my terrarium has been getting hot during the day sometimes, so that even with the heat lamp off it gets up to 90 at the cool end. Is there any way to cool down that side for my beardie? The only thing I can think of is one of those ice packs and sticking it on the cool side so that she can get closer/farther from it depending on what makes her comfortable.

Wet towel or wet towel with ice packs over one 1/3 of the enclosure, we recently had a thing where we had 40c heat in a country where air conditioning in houses isn’t a thing and we collectively found out that wet towels will bring an enclosure down by 5c

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, will do.

I ordered some soldier fly larva last week and just put in an order for more after seeing how small they are but forgot to get a sifter. Since they're so small it's more of a pain to pick them out of their substrate with tweezers like I had been doing with the bigger superworms before I found out those are fattier than regular food should be. Is there a term I should be looking for to find a sifter that has big enough holes to let the oat bran(?) that they use for substrate through but small enough to keep the larva in there so I can dump them in my lizard's bowl? She seems to love them at least, so that's good. They kind of give me the creepy crawlies compared to the bigger worms for some reason, not sure why.

Also, is poor eyesight common for a beardie? She keeps attacking the tweezers even when they don't have anything in them yet and I'm picking up a larva that fell out of the bowl. Like she associates them with food but can't tell that there's no food in them at the moment. I'm worried that I might be missing some kind of nutrition. I give her Brussels sprouts and had been giving her super worms, I'd dust the brussels sprouts with calcium once a week or so because she seems to be one of the few that will eat calcium-dusted veggies and that's easier than dusting worms with them.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 9, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, will do.

I ordered some soldier fly larva last week and just put in an order for more after seeing how small they are but forgot to get a sifter. Since they're so small it's more of a pain to pick them out of their substrate with tweezers like I had been doing with the bigger superworms before I found out those are fattier than regular food should be. Is there a term I should be looking for to find a sifter that has big enough holes to let the oat bran(?) that they use for substrate through but small enough to keep the larva in there so I can dump them in my lizard's bowl? She seems to love them at least, so that's good. They kind of give me the creepy crawlies compared to the bigger worms for some reason, not sure why.

Also, is poor eyesight common for a beardie? She keeps attacking the tweezers even when they don't have anything in them yet and I'm picking up a larva that fell out of the bowl. Like she associates them with food but can't tell that there's no food in them at the moment. I'm worried that I might be missing some kind of nutrition. I give her Brussels sprouts and had been giving her super worms, I'd dust the brussels sprouts with calcium once a week or so because she seems to be one of the few that will eat calcium-dusted veggies and that's easier than dusting worms with them.

captive reptiles often go blind/get cataracts either because of dietary nutrient deficiencies and/or too much prolonged UV/too bright of a bulb

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

that sounds like pretty normal reptile behavior though

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

captive reptiles often go blind/get cataracts either because of dietary nutrient deficiencies and/or too much prolonged UV/too bright of a bulb

Any nutrients in particular? Do I need to give her some supplement other than calcium? I do see her staring across the room at me fairly often and her eyes aren't cloudy at all. I've got the UV light on about 16 hours a day, is that too much? I figure that a desert creature like a beardie expects all day long hot sun, and I've got hides for her to go into if it gets too bright for her. Especially in the summer I figured that having the heat lamp and UV light on mimics that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The very strong UVB bulbs can make them go blind, the UVB strip lights are fine. Beardies need reptile supplement with calcium in it, plus high UVB for 12 hours a day or they get metabolic bone disorders basically.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Three of the baby ball pythons are loving ravenous. The other two have not eaten yet, and it's been about 3 weeks. Have not tried force feeding yet. Any other ideas before I brain some helpless pinkies?

Have tried to feed them in their boxes, in deli cups, left in both for several hours. Have scented the mice pinkies with hamster bedding (am looking for local sources of soft furred rats). Nothing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
3 weeks is fine for ball python babies, you have a fair few weeks before you have to worry. Don’t force feed before 2 months or you see they are beginning to be super restless, odds are if you get to that force feeding stage they are going to be failure to thrive and there was nothing you could have done.

First of all clean out where they are, and swap them into each other’s boxes. Ball pythons are less stupid than people think but more instinctive. They wait for mouse, but if hiding place smells like snake then it’s time to move on because a mouse won’t come in here, therefore that frozen thawed mouse can’t be a mouse.

Then leave them completely alone for a week, change water and that’s it.

Check temps and turn them up to 30c if they are below that, humidity won’t cause eating issues

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Hey herp havers - any ideas for what this white patchy bit on Max's face is? It doesn't look fuzzy like when he's had fungus before. Google seems to think slime coat issue, but I thought I'd ask here for any other opinions. He's still eating normally and doesn't have tankmates so it won't be an injury from someone else. Maybe he scraped himself against a bit of tank furniture?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How sensitive are lizard lungs? I'm setting up a 3d printer but I have a studio so I can't keep it in another room. The fumes aren't bad but they do exist and I don't want to damage her lungs. It's not a problem for mammals but I know some cold blooded animals have more sensitive lungs. I might be able to vent it out a window if I need to.

E: I think I have a skylight in my new place I'm moving into so I could crack that and run a vent to it, although that might pose a problem in the winter when it gets cold and snowy. Maybe I could fit one of those chimney stacks or something, but I still might need to put a heat element in there or something on a thermometer to keep it at temp.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bollock Monkey posted:

Hey herp havers - any ideas for what this white patchy bit on Max's face is? It doesn't look fuzzy like when he's had fungus before. Google seems to think slime coat issue, but I thought I'd ask here for any other opinions. He's still eating normally and doesn't have tankmates so it won't be an injury from someone else. Maybe he scraped himself against a bit of tank furniture?

Probably as scrape yes, as long as you don't see any kind of tendrils/fungal poo poo coming off of it I wouldn't worry too much, maybe just up some water changes.