Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

But it is always important to remember that there were as many Trump voters in that area as in the downstate. While independents trend D, a shift with them (and lack of enthusiasm from Ds) opened the door to Rauner but it would take a major shift to get them to support Bailey I think.

Yeah that's the general theory, and why JB tossed some coins to help prop Bailey up.

Bailey doesn't have much of a shot of pulling off the Rauner coalition.

Hell Rauner could only pull off the Rauner coalition once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Remember that Quinn wasn't especially well liked either.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Source4Leko posted:

Remember that Quinn wasn't especially well liked either.

Dude loving campaigned on, “when I say medical marijuana, I mean medical! None of that funny business like in California!” :wtf:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Dude loving campaigned on, “when I say medical marijuana, I mean medical! None of that funny business like in California!” :wtf:

Quinn also tried to gently caress the unions. Always a winning move for a Democrat *sigh*

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s pretty much always up to how the burbs shift. In 2020, Biden would’ve won the state just in Cook and collar counties alone. Have to hope the burbs have had a permanent democratic shift.
Yeah the burbs may be pissed about inflation but they’re also pissed about crime and Bailey’s response to Highland Park lost him the race regardless of what else he does. Telling the shell shocked suburbs ‘meh don’t let a little mass shooting ruin your 4th you people in Chicago are used to that by now surely’ was just purestrain ‘everything people say about south of I-80 is true’ for that crowd.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 27, 2022

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Oracle posted:

Quinn also tried to gently caress the unions. Always a winning move for a Democrat *sigh*

Yeah the burbs may be pissed about inflation but they’re also pissed about crime and Bailey’s response to Highland Park lost him the race regardless of what else he does. Telling the shell shocked suburbs ‘meh don’t let a little mass shooting ruin your 4th you people in Chicago are used to that by now surely’ was just purestrain ‘everything people say about south of I-80 is true’ for that crowd.

I live in HP and Bailey's video made even north shore Republicans embarrassed.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
You guys were right, Bailey is the gift that keeps on giving.
https://twitter.com/JenGGforRep/status/1554244393229586438

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I like how he matched trump’s suit and tie. What a sniveling weasel.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Got texted a stupidly obvious Bailey push poll last night. It was hilarious.

"How would your opinion of Pritzker change if each of the following were true?"
<List of things like 'wants arsonists released without bail' and 'gave covid money to blm, an evil organization'>

"How would your opinion of Bailey change if each of the following were true?"
<'Endorsed by police union', 'tough on crime'>

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"positive, positive, extremely negative, negative"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is this guy the Central Illinois version of John Kass?

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1554469972453326848?s=20&t=d-qCshtmNo6QQPU5loq2fw

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jim Dey would take the comparison as a compliment. He's the local rag's resident right-wing curmudgeon and never misses a chance to try and make hay from a 'dems in disarray' situation, and if one doesn't exist he'll make one.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lol at the Homer Glen reactionary shitheads who control the village board and township melting down so hard that they're getting arrested for assault & battery against other elected officials

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

brugroffil posted:

lol at the Homer Glen reactionary shitheads who control the village board and township melting down so hard that they're getting arrested for assault & battery against other elected officials

I know right? Just a hilarious clown car of ineptitude and some blatant corruption. It’s been the talk of the town on the Facebook Town groups, with some of those responsible coming in and getting roasted.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

You guys were right, Bailey is the grift that keeps on giving.
https://twitter.com/JenGGforRep/status/1554244393229586438

fixed that for ya. *grift*, not gift.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A couple state Rs have called him out but pretty much silence from the ILGOP.

Bailey said he was taken out of context and then said that his Highland Park comments were taken out of context too.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Lol Irvin really would have been a smarter pick for the Rs in hindsight.

The Illinois Democrats seem more competent and ruthless than most. Hard to know whether they had that 2017 post before funneling money into his campaign or found it after but the effect is the same.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A couple state Rs have called him out but pretty much silence from the ILGOP.

Bailey said he was taken out of context and then said that his Highland Park comments were taken out of context too.

Illinois Republicans have been comparing abortion to the Holocaust for years, it's just never made the news because "respectable" republicans like Bill Brady knew how to keep the quiet part quiet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

pasaluki posted:

Lol Irvin really would have been a smarter pick for the Rs in hindsight.

The Illinois Democrats seem more competent and ruthless than most. Hard to know whether they had that 2017 post before funneling money into his campaign or found it after but the effect is the same.

Illinois Dems have to cut their teeth on poo poo like Challenge Season and learn the ins and outs of how to screw their fellow candidates before they're even allowed on the ballot. Precinct committeepeople have actual power in Illinois and even those races can get cutthroat in Cook County. And if you want to succeed for long you have to learn exactly which lines to cross when and how to toe the letter of the law without getting nailed (though this is finally, mercifully changing). Politics is a contact sport in Illinois and some people get drat good at it, and a lot of those are people whose names you'll never know, because they work behind the scenes and don't get caught.

Granted there's a lot of selfish idiots too, but they tend to weed themselves out eventually.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I may have mentioned it, but the first race I was a treasurer for, my candidate got her opponent kicked off the ballot for paperwork failures.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I just saw Ja'Mal Green at the farmers market. The 2022 primary just happened and people are already on the street for 2023.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Oracle posted:

Illinois Dems have to cut their teeth on poo poo like Challenge Season and learn the ins and outs of how to screw their fellow candidates before they're even allowed on the ballot. Precinct committeepeople have actual power in Illinois and even those races can get cutthroat in Cook County. And if you want to succeed for long you have to learn exactly which lines to cross when and how to toe the letter of the law without getting nailed (though this is finally, mercifully changing). Politics is a contact sport in Illinois and some people get drat good at it, and a lot of those are people whose names you'll never know, because they work behind the scenes and don't get caught.

Granted there's a lot of selfish idiots too, but they tend to weed themselves out eventually.

Not to be that dick, but actually *precinct* committee people are elected in every county outside of Cook, whereas in Cook Burbs they're elected on a Township level and by wards in the city.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

rachel ray romano posted:

Not to be that dick, but actually *precinct* committee people are elected in every county outside of Cook, whereas in Cook Burbs they're elected on a Township level and by wards in the city.

That would explain the cutthroat nature, then. God Cook has so many exceptions to the rest of the state.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1557008940399218689

:stare:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I think some guy in a fedora has tricked him.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Name one :lol:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
he's banking on his voting base not knowing or caring about the opinions of any jewish people but still funny as poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The same guy that said "let's move on already JEEZ" after a mass shooting in a town with a large jewish background.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

What was it, it's gone now.

e: or maybe twitter is broken

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 9, 2022

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Twitter was making GBS threads itself for the past few hours. Seems to work now.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Bailey has to be doing performance art at this point. What a piece of poo poo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Imagine losing to this dolt in a primary with a billionaire backing your campaign.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Niwrad posted:

Imagine losing to this dolt in a primary with a billionaire backing your campaign.

Well, if you're Black and running in a Republican primary in 2022... yeah, it makes sense. :godwin:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

He’s saying things Republican voters like. Fortunately for us, there aren’t enough of them in the state.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

jbusbysack posted:

Bailey has to be doing performance art at this point. What a piece of poo poo.
He's just following in the footsteps of the greats...

"Michele Bachmann" Revealed as Elaborate "Borat" Style Hoax

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

He’s saying things Republican voters like. Fortunately for us, there aren’t enough of them in the state.

He isn't even the most openly fash legislator in Illinois

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/02/27/chris-miller-denies-connection-three-percenters-despite-truck-decal/6851807002/

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

xzzy posted:

The same guy that said "let's move on already JEEZ" after a mass shooting in a town with a large jewish background.

But not before saying we should be celebrating. Ie massive dog whistling.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I always enjoy seeing unread posts for this thread. It brings me the joy of thinking “What dumbass thing did Bailey say/do today?”

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
New tax-to-received ratio map.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

I was assured that Chicago is a drain and takes all the tax money from downstate and wastes it in ivory tower liberal crony corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I wish it showed it county by county. The last time they came out with that, it showed Effingham and Jasper around even while the rest of the area was taking the most.