Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Toy Theater, The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories, and The Hero as Werwolf are my favorite of his shorts. Fifth Head of Cerberus is the best short story collection turned into a novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

My favourite is Tracking Song. It's the most akin to Book of the New Sun out of the ones I've read, in that it's an entertaining picaresque on the surface with other things going on beneath. A lot of his stories have too much of the above-mentioned "throwing knives" for my taste.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sailor Viy posted:

My favourite is Tracking Song. It's the most akin to Book of the New Sun out of the ones I've read, in that it's an entertaining picaresque on the surface with other things going on beneath. A lot of his stories have too much of the above-mentioned "throwing knives" for my taste.

Oh yeah Tracking Song is one of his best, it's more novella-length though. A good example of how it's never explicitly stated what's going on in the background of the story (something that has profound consequences for the narrator and everyone he meets) but it's also not hard to figure out even on a first read.

The whole underground part trips me out though, first time I read it that felt out of place and like a different story altogether.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

His being an unreliable narrator is mostly him just trying to justify his monstrous behavior to himself.

This is an important point. Severian will never outright lie . He'll just write " well, she didn't say no, so Dorcas must really wanted this dick" . If you look at the circumstances and context you can see what actually happened, but Severian isn't lying. It's just how he sees things.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This is an important point. Severian will never outright lie . He'll just write " well, she didn't say no, so Dorcas must really wanted this dick" . If you look at the circumstances and context you can see what actually happened, but Severian isn't lying. It's just how he sees things.

It’s also selling the complexity of severians character short by ignoring that his motive in writing isn’t a confessional or diary, it’s a memoir from t he autarch which means it’s an implicitly political text and religious as well. Severian is both socially apt and inept so he does try to gloss over things to make himself look good and sometimes confesses to weird poo poo, but there are enough angles he writes from that his intent can vary throughout the text. Sometimes he’s using the book to legitimize his rule of the commonwealth, sometimes he’s just pontificating a philosophy that’s pretty much “bitches be shoppin” but he’s a psychologically compelling character because his reasons for writing can get muddled by his experiences and also being one person made of two people

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

By the end of his journey in BOTNS isn't it hundreds of people in his mind, thanks to the succession of autarch brain eating?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a big effort post on the Wizard Knight somewhere I can read? Did Marc Aramini ever write anything on it?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Big Bizness posted:

By the end of his journey in BOTNS isn't it hundreds of people in his mind, thanks to the succession of autarch brain eating?

From what he says in Urth, I think he mainly has access to Thecla and the previous Autarch. The others are buried progressively deeper in his subconscious.

When he goes back in time and meets that kid who'll one day be Autarch, Severian isn't even 100% sure if the kid is stored in his brain or not.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

Is there a big effort post on the Wizard Knight somewhere I can read? Did Marc Aramini ever write anything on it?

Yes, lots. He also appears to be doing s series of videos about it on YouTube. Google around a bit.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I am still slowly creeping through BOTNS. I am in graduate school, so my pace is slow, but I’m on vacation now and hoping to make good progress into part four.

I just wanted to say, in sword of the lictor holy poo poo that one chapter where Severian is dangled by the guy with two heads from the eyes of the mountain and ends up killing the dude by punching the dead head in the face? Fuuuuck that was awesome. Probably my favorite scene in the book so far. So many little nuanced details pointing to what was going to happen, all culminating in a super satisfying moment.

Only sad because that character was pretty fun and he came and went in a blink. Not really sure how he fits into things in the grand scheme either, but drat… Wolf can write himself a SCENE! That whole section was just a lot of fun. Seems significant that Severian is subtly starting to realize his power, and the significance of the claw in his possession…

Sorry if this doesn’t make a ton of sense, phone posting, but I just had to share those couple of chapters were just…. :chef:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The whole "Severian in the mountains" section is extremely rad. It has one of my favorite sections in BOTNS where Severian muses on the cosmic horror of constellations being these crudely drawn monsters made of flaming suns. It's great.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

hobbez posted:

Only sad because that character was pretty fun and he came and went in a blink. Not really sure how he fits into things in the grand scheme either, but drat…

Almost as if it never happened... 🧐

Nah that poo poo totally happened

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Without spoiling too much, you haven't seen the last of him.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

I gave a copy of Peace to my partner's dad for his birthday. He's a literary fiction guy whose favourite authors are Marquez and Knausgaard, so I'm curious to see if he enjoys it. I feel like maybe despite being technically not SF, Peace still somehow has an SF vibe or hits the same buttons (e.g. trying to puzzle out what's going on).

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Im glad I never got the Long Sun spoiled for me Silk finding a fresco of 2 headed Paz blew my mind

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Long and Short sun have gotta have some of the biggest Wham moments of all of literature. That final lines of OBW had me grinning like an idiot at what a mad lad Wolfe was.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Wolfe fam, check out Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem. A genre-bending noir with a very Wolfe-like approach to sci-fi exposition, but mostly played for laughs and it works brilliantly.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Wolfe fam, check out Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem. A genre-bending noir with a very Wolfe-like approach to sci-fi exposition, but mostly played for laughs and it works brilliantly.

I did so, thanks for the recommendation.

I disagree that this is Wolfean. I had a good enough time, but this book is all surface in my opinion and doesn't really go anywhere. I think I'd have enjoyed it more without being hyped up beforehand, but I might not have made a point of checking it out so I guess it all cancels out.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Osmosisch posted:

I did so, thanks for the recommendation.

I disagree that this is Wolfean. I had a good enough time, but this book is all surface in my opinion and doesn't really go anywhere. I think I'd have enjoyed it more without being hyped up beforehand, but I might not have made a point of checking it out so I guess it all cancels out.

Yeah I actually had only read a third or so of the book when I made this rec, and now realize how inaccurate it was. Glad you enjoyed though!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
On a kind of similar note, I think the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers may be anti-Wolfe in a very appealing way. The stories are straightforward. Even when the stakes are high, the resolutions come quickly and cleanly. Characters love explaining the worldbuilding elements to each other in simple terms. Wolfe is great when you are looking for a challenge, for something that is going to take a few reads and then be worth discussing afterwards. It's nice to also be able to find stuff that has quality prose but doesn't eat up a big chunk of your life as well.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Finished Interlibrary Loan. The first half is alright, then it gradually gets more and more incomprehensible. Toward the end you can tell Old Man Wolfe knew he didn't have much time left and just wanted to get the thing finished.

The last page, though, is incredible. What a loving way to go out.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

New Wolfe collection releasing at the end of October

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250846204/thewolfeatthedoor

Hey that's enough time for me to catch up on all his novels and stories I still haven't read.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my bony fealty posted:

New Wolfe collection releasing at the end of October

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250846204/thewolfeatthedoor

Hey that's enough time for me to catch up on all his novels and stories I still haven't read.

I'm in the mood to read more Wolfe but so many of his books are hard to get and thus $$$. I have the first have of long sun laying around, which I got for like a buck at a charity book sale, but then the second half, every time I've looked, has been ridiculously bot priced, and none of my preferred new book stores can even order it.

Maybe I'll suck it up and buy the rest and read that this summer.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Epiphany is $20 on Amazon but I only found it by searching Google: https://www.amazon.com/Epiphany-Long-Sun-Calde-Exodus/dp/0312860722

But, yeah, searching by Amazon only brought up a listing of $72.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Read Gene Wolfe in the order God intended — whatever battered paperbacks with gonzo cover art you find at your local second hand bookshop.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One day I'm gonna find a battered copy of Operation Ares in a used bin and the journey will be complete

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cptn_dr posted:

Read Gene Wolfe in the order God intended — whatever battered paperbacks with gonzo cover art you find at your local second hand bookshop.

I have cleaned them out hardcore

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

hobbez posted:

So I'm almost at the end of book 2 of BOTS. I'm not really sure how to feel about it.

I enjoy piecing together parts of the world, it's history, it's culture, how it's structured socially, how things came to be the way they are over the vast magnitude of time. I enjoy Wolfe's writing. I enjoy the mash up of grand sci-fi and fantasy. Overall, it's a good time.

But I just have no idea if I am "doing this right", I guess? Every tangential misadventure, every chance encounter Severian has, seems like it holds some kind of vague significance to the entire plot, and I just have no clue what actually matters. Significant characters come and go, events go entirely unexplained, there seem to be at least like 3 or 4 prophecies and fore-tellings it's impossible to tell which are important, the main character frequently has major hallucinatory experiences... It has all become a bit muddled. Like Jonas reveals he's a Robot and disappears into space-time or something and I don't even remember Severian having a reaction. Was that important? Was it not important? Severian seems entirely indifferent. This is just one of several plot beats that seems like it is "major" to the reader, but Severian seems to pass over them with complete silence and indifference. Which has a disorienting effect on the reader, imo.

I'm enjoying the ride, and looking forward to books 3/4, which I have sitting on the shelf. I guess I just hope to start having some "ah-hahs" somewhere along this journey here. At this point there have been many more questions then answers. Which I guess I knew I was signing up for.

Edit: I will also say I feel like I am terrible at this juncture at identifying when Severian is being "unreliable" or outright lying. I have pledged to myself to be much more vigilant about criticizing his narrative, but at this moment I don't even know why he'd be lying or whose narrative he would be attempting to counter. I suppose this lens on the novel is going to develop after completion and upon a theoretical second reading.

I actually enjoyed the dream-like flow, also attributed it to Severian not being 100% right in the head with all the hallucinations and all.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Wolfe kind of asks a lot of the reader because there's so much left off the page. Severian's feelings about Jonas and the hurt of the loss becomes more explicit as you read on and he talks about his loneliness (pretty much all of Sword and Citadel). Also, one other thing that happens.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Goodreads reviewer posted:

Gene Wolfe's reputation is overblown. I loved The Fifth Head of Cerberus and enjoyed the collection of short stories in The Death of Doctor Island. But his longer fantasy fiction always put me off, in the same sense that being invited to play Dungeons & Dragons with a pack of socially awkward teenagers might put one off. I threw Pirate Freedom across the room halfway through, when Wolfe abandoned the effort of storytelling and simply had his time-traveling priest/pirate sit on his rear end and explain - over the course of 20 or more pages - a complicated turn of events that was at the center of the story. Wolfe is a charlatan; I'll read no more of him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Okay

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:wtc:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Past, idk, soldier of arete I don't find Wolfe particularly readable

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I recently read The Land Across, and it really missed the spot for me. The narrator combines the worst traits of all his other ones, being irritatingly smart and dumb at alternating times, refusing to explain anything, and more willing to punch and gently caress than is good for anyone.

This is also one of the most incoherent of his books that I've read, and the sparks of genuinely interesting stuff like the ghost of the Impaler(?) take a back seat to a weirdly regressive main plot about Satanists being fought by the secret police of a dictator, capped off by an afterword about how a good dictator is better than a bad democracy.

I enjoyed my time with the book regardless, but probably the worst Wolfe I've read.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I've been slowly re-reading BotNS and I like it even more in this second reading. I think it is up there with Lord of the Rings as a seminal work of fantasy/sci-fi.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I liked Land Across. The atmosphere made up for the weak narrative.

I thought the last half of The Sorcerer's House was pretty bad, until I realized it's just a bunch of poo poo the protagonist made up so he could lure his brother into the house and murder him

I haven't read the third Latro book because I'm afraid it's going to be bad and retroactively color my opinion of the first two, which I really enjoyed.

My favorite is Silhouette. Hard sell since it's crammed in the very back of Endangered Species, but I think it's a good intro because it's a lot shorter than the ones people typically recommend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mellonbread posted:

I haven't read the third Latro book because I'm afraid it's going to be bad and retroactively color my opinion of the first two, which I really enjoyed.

If you like later Wolfe books you will probably be fine, I don't and wasn't.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mellonbread posted:

I liked Land Across. The atmosphere made up for the weak narrative.

Yeah, to be clear, I liked the act of reading it just fine, but once I finished I wasn't left with the usual Wolfe vibes of 'Gosh, I bet that of fits together nicely once I re-read it and maybe discuss and/or read some articles' but more 'Well that was a mess. Fun though'.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This looks pretty cool
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strangersfanzine/book-of-fuligin-honoring-the-legacy-of-gene-wolfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have literally no idea who any of those people are which makes me kind of wary of their fanfiction.