Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lord_Magmar posted:

Benediction is not a toolkit it is a single tool (and functionally heals for 100% of the targets health, a fight where the goal is to heal the boss would not work with Benediction).

You're still punishing the toolkit by preventing an important part of it be unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Benediction should, if targeting a boss weak to it, target the boss' target instead.

Just like how Bene automatically targets you if you try to use it on the MT!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You're still punishing the toolkit by preventing an important part of it be unusable.

Is it really that important, isn't Bene the oh poo poo save the tank because something has gone wrong button. Which you would hypothetically want to hold onto anyway because Fights like these tend to have big nasty adds for tanks to handle.

I just don't think it's particularly punishing for WHM to not be able to Benediction a big body of health that is meant to be filled up with heals over a minute or three (which is another reason this style of fight isn't super applicable to ffxiv. They tend to be shorter than other fights.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm not sure how this is a punishment, at most it would be some sort of adjustment so that the spell does not win the boss encounter immediately. They can probably monkey something in of course.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I'm imagining this fight as a scholar trying to spam adlo after using up my aetherflow and watching my fairy do nothing and I hate it. You'd basically just have to bring a WHM (or AST I guess) if the duration of the heal-spam phase were at all significant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinryu EX had a heal mechanic which Gene trivialized IIRC

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lord_Magmar posted:

Is it really that important, isn't Bene the oh poo poo save the tank because something has gone wrong button.

No, not at all. There's no such thing as an emergency button in this game. It's one of the primary planned cooldowns WHMs have for an encounter.

It's typically planned and used to pair up with Holmgang or regular tank buster/mechanic mitigations so as to save a large amount of both healers' other resources. It's used as a solution to a mechanic, and sitting on it in case of emergency is incredibly wasteful.

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure how this is a punishment, at most it would be some sort of adjustment so that the spell does not win the boss encounter immediately. They can probably monkey something in of course.

It's punishment, because they straight up don't let you use a White Mage's full kit. You're handicapped for playing that job.

It'd be like not letting Warriors Holmgang on certain fights, because it lets a single tank invuln every buster thus trivializing mechanics. Or not letting Macrocosmos work on Death's Toll, which again trivializes a mechanic.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 9, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What would probably work better is having an NPC who you have to keep alive, rather than just trying to fill up a green jar with health beams.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I would argue that a fight having a "screw this job in particular" mechanic is a bad mechanic regardless of how big a deal it is. It doesn't take much for player superstition to kick in and "WHMs can't use this button to break the mechanic" becomes "don't bring a WHM". They've already been changing job mechanics to have ways to cope with common things like untargetable time (I know monk got some targeted stuff for that, can't recall if it was pre or post-change) or adds (bards getting most of the weight moved off their dots) because in some fights they were being left behind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bruceski posted:

I would argue that a fight having a "screw this job in particular" mechanic is a bad mechanic regardless of how big a deal it is. It doesn't take much for player superstition to kick in and "WHMs can't use this button to break the mechanic" becomes "don't bring a WHM". They've already been changing job mechanics to have ways to cope with common things like untargetable time (I know monk got some targeted stuff for that, can't recall if it was pre or post-change) or adds (bards getting most of the weight moved off their dots) because in some fights they were being left behind.
Right, I think something like "when used on the boss, Benediction caps at 250,000" instead of whatever it does now (I'm guessing it may just do 9999999 to futureproof?) would be more likely than anything else. I do not think WHM is in much danger of being abandoned but this is me speaking as a committed AST

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I really don't think people would exclude WHM from a raw HPS firehose fight just because benediction isn't allowed. The mechanic would not work in FFXIV but not because of benediction.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'd assume they'd just make it one of those extra actions, like the EMP pulse during Omega.

Key it to your actual healing stats so that your gear can still matter

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bruceski posted:

This isn't a good argument because even without Benediction WHM would still be very good at healing the target. It would be better equipped to do it than SCH or SGE! A far better argument is that shield healers would be less useful in this situation. But WHM would probably still be the best healer to have healing that enemy, because they have so loving many direct heals.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No, not at all. There's no such thing as an emergency button in this game. It's one of the primary planned cooldowns WHMs have for an encounter.

It's typically planned and used to pair up with Holmgang or regular tank buster/mechanic mitigations so as to save a large amount of both healers' other resources. It's used as a solution to a mechanic, and sitting on it in case of emergency is incredibly wasteful.

It's punishment, because they straight up don't let you use a White Mage's full kit. You're handicapped for playing that job.

It'd be like not letting Warriors Holmgang on certain fights, because it lets a single tank invuln every buster thus trivializing mechanics. Or not letting Macrocosmos work on Death's Toll, which again trivializes a mechanic.

This is ironic because WHM being the "direct heals" class is also basically the de facto optimal class for a "heal the boss" fight where the goal is to top off the boss' health bar. It's a weird argument to be making.

Which, to be clear, the ability of any class to trivialize a mechanic and thus put itself ahead of all other jobs for their role (such as Holmgang on those fights making WAR more desirable than any other tank) is also a massive problem.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, scholars would be put into the unfun position of having to heal a boss with physick cause they have no other options once they burn all their aetherflow and their fairy can't heal non-party members, and physick is technically better than adlo once the shield is up, but that's non-applicable to this theoretical boss anyways. It would be the one time eating their fairy would be super beneficial though, as well as emergency tactics.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Allarion posted:

Yeah, scholars would be put into the unfun position of having to heal a boss with physick cause they have no other options once they burn all their aetherflow and their fairy can't heal non-party members, and physick is technically better than adlo once the shield is up, but that's non-applicable to this theoretical boss anyways. It would be the one time eating their fairy would be super beneficial though, as well as emergency tactics.

Yeah and sages might be even worse off. At least scholars could eat the fairy for the extra aetherflow and potency boost, and could use emergency tactics every 15s for an adlo instead of a physick. Even if they changed the fairy so it could heal the target, kardia wouldn't work.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Easiest option I could think of for a "fill the meter" mechanic would be to just have shields also convert into meter

Bene could just cap out at equivalent to 2500 potency or whatever

It'd be a nightmare to actually convey all these special cases in status tooltips though

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Honestly I think someone gave the best idea. Keeping an NPC alive instead of filling a bar would function best with how FFXIV plays anyway.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly I think someone gave the best idea. Keeping an NPC alive instead of filling a bar would function best with how FFXIV plays anyway.

Doesn't the game have this already? (The Aery Nidhogg fight requires you to keep Estinien alive).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Genovera posted:

Yeah and sages might be even worse off. At least scholars could eat the fairy for the extra aetherflow and potency boost, and could use emergency tactics every 15s for an adlo instead of a physick. Even if they changed the fairy so it could heal the target, kardia wouldn't work.

Just make it so Krasis and holos hits them. That's decent regen and stacking healing potency up buffs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

Doesn't the game have this already? (The Aery Nidhogg fight requires you to keep Estinien alive).
Yeah but that encounter's pretty simple and you mostly just need to cast a regen or a shield or two on him and he's fine. This would presumably be more sophisticated

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Healing sprouts in bardam's and ala mihgo is already healer savage content, i don't know why you masochists want enemies to start needing heals too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

They'd have to fix how finicky targeting friendly NPCs for healing can be. For whatever reason it's much harder than swapping focus between party members and enemies.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They could get around Benediction by having a relatively small healthbar and emptying it when it goes full (which also indicating progress in some way). But every healer solo duty where you have to heal NPCs is a pain in the rear end and I hope they don't do it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

At bare minimum, I'd want the NPCs and their health bars to show up in the party list so I can target them from there. Also, make AoE party heals work on them; I think they've done that recently, but I recall CNJ/WHM duties in ARR with multiple friendlies being nightmarish because Medica would just ignore them.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
AOE heals aren't canon, Antivehicular.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Well, of course not, not after Kan-E-Senna broke the Medica elemental's spectral kneecaps

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SirPhoebos posted:

Nessus posted:

Yeah but that encounter's pretty simple and you mostly just need to cast a regen or a shield or two on him and he's fine. This would presumably be more sophisticated

Qwertycoatl posted:

They could get around Benediction by having a relatively small healthbar and emptying it when it goes full (which also indicating progress in some way).

I don't feel like reading all of what was being discussed but does Haurchefant in DSR count for some of this stuff? From what I remember he has like 100k HP and you still have to keep him alive for a bit after the tank LB3 wears off, while also dealing with the knights' mechanics. Bringing something like that into non-Ultimate content seems like it would satisfy what people are thinking of

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I would argue that a fight having a "screw this job in particular" mechanic is a bad mechanic regardless of how big a deal it is.

every fight is already a "screw white mage" fight frankly

see also: the immense dread i feel whenever i'm partnered with a whm instead of an ast for p3s

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

every fight is already a "screw white mage" fight frankly

see also: the immense dread i feel whenever i'm partnered with a whm instead of an ast for p3s

WHM doesn't have the "ignore this mechanic" button AST does but they do have high healing output and you can lb3 if you really need to

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I cleared P3S a bunch on WHM, Death's Toll is really the only part that sucks (besides dying for whatever reason and losing stored lilies/MP but that's to be expected) and yeah we just LB3'd there every time to make it simple and still had plenty of time to kill before enrage.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo lilybell is an even more powerful "gently caress this mechanic" button than macrocosmos, it just fucks FoF instead of the other thing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I like SCH best for FoF because you can come out of it with the entire party having like three healthbars worth of shields

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5vqrKfADW4

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Looks like we're doing the Sil'dih Subterrane with Nanamo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
We're also fighting everyon's favorite guy, Skull Millione!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vitamean posted:

feel like everyone's expecting the next ex trial to be one of the archfiends but I'd really enjoy it if they threw a curveball and made it something completely different

too bad though can't wait for the soken mix of battle with the four fiends

how am I allowed to be this correct it's unreal

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vitamean posted:

how am I allowed to be this correct it's unreal

Uh, the trial is actually pretty clearly Scarmiglione's second form

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Uh, the trial is actually pretty clearly Scarmiglione's second form

Also they're wrong that that isn't a soken remix that's just the pixel remaster version of the song

Estinien says in the trailer "if you want to 2nd death I said we give it to him and"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

sorry guys I can't help but always be correct