Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

hbag you old dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
1-800-collect

"Please say your name"

"hiitsbobmaryhadababyitsaboy"

"The other party declined your call"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you should send her phone some test messages to make sure everythings working. dont forget to ask if shes ignoring you or not

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

we already have each other on discord

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

hbag posted:

we already have each other on discord

well thats awkward. who gets to keep the server when you split?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

1-800-collect

"Please say your name"

"hiitsbobmaryhadababyitsaboy"

"The other party declined your call"

"you have a collect call from BANDPRACTICEISOVERCOMEPICKMEUP"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nudgenudgetilt posted:

what's wild is that my grandparents had touch tone available to them through most of the 90s -- they just didn't want to pay the extra fee. gte was the loving king of nickel and diming you.

what was long distance back then anyways? different area codes?

I don’t know/remember much about how landlines work(ed) largely because I was just old enough to have one in our house and hear it go off and remember my mother using it extensively, but by the time I was old enough to start using it they dropped it for mobile and then we never got it again

the most I used a landline was like a pay phone and I definitely only remember phone numbers going from really short to exceedingly long, but I don’t remember if that was just a difference between norwegian and Australian phone numbers nor which was what

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
hbag bring her to five guys burgers and fries

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

hbag ask her if she has stairs in her house

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what was long distance back then anyways? different area codes?

long distance was 100% totally arbitrary. collections of switches would be groups called rate center, which would overlap. in my case, everyone involved had the same area code, but we were in three different (overlapping) rate centers. sometimes rate centers would cross area codes and state lines, sometimes they wouldn't. in my hometown, on a river based state line, calling across the river was a long distance call to a different area code in a different state. where i went to college, in a larger city further down the same river, calls across the river to a different state and different area code were local calls.

edit: confused LATAs and Rate Centers

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 9, 2022

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Video Nasty posted:

i already sent her a forums gift certificate

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Video Nasty posted:

she tried to say that she was grover when she was asked about an account

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hbag posted:

lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

hbag posted:

heh. i bet you saw right through that feeble ruse

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hbag posted:

why, did she say “i am insulated” instead?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

nice hbag

good luck m8

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

also this genuinely:

matti posted:

nice hbag

good luck m8

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hey hbag i like to razz ya from time to time but realtalk good on you getting a date and stuff. the more you do it the easier it gets. im real glad that there wasnt a pandemic during my formative years

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i mean i met her on discord but we go to the same university and we're meeting for drinks this weekend

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

get your catfish jokes out of the way now

matti
Mar 31, 2019

meeting girls online is normal these days

matti
Mar 31, 2019

heck i've done it a lot because i spent time on a local web 1.0 punk rock message board

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

c nih s: spinal taps aren’t fun just in case anyone was wondering of getting one for a laugh

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

CPColin posted:

Hey, can I bother you for a sec?

https://youtu.be/JpmPlr2XhFs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

c nih s: spinal taps aren’t fun just in case anyone was wondering of getting one for a laugh

oh i was, I guess I won't do it now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

drat that sucks.

should have got the one with an n̈

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hbag posted:

i mean i met her on discord but we go to the same university and we're meeting for drinks this weekend
:hellyeah:

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i remember when it cost long distance to call the closest city to me. it’s like 30 km drive to get there.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

NinetySevenA posted:

i remember when it cost long distance to call the closest city to me. it’s like 30 km drive to get there.

i remember when LA got its first new area code and all of a sudden i was in 213 and there were all these dudes like 4 blocks away who were in 310 and people were real mad about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
well, my mom was anyway

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

when i first tried getting online, all the big name services (prodigy, compuserv, aol) were long distance calls, and as a 12 year old with no real tech influences in my life, i had no clue local ISPs even existed, so my internet time was super limited due to the long distance call

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

i remember when LA got its first new area code and all of a sudden i was in 213 and there were all these dudes like 4 blocks away who were in 310 and people were real mad about it

same in vancouver, but moreso because long distance in the area was a nightmare and BC was already split into two area codes, 604 for greater vancouver and 250 for the rest of the province. certain outer cities in the 604 were long distance to the rest of the 604, an the 250 was long distance to basically everyone not in your particular town/city. then they introduced 778 and overlaid the whole province with it, so you straight up could not tell if a call to a 778 number was going to be long distance or not

by the time they introduced 236 and 672 long distance fuckery was basically dead because everyone was on cell phones and had province-wide calling standard but people still went "argh why can't I get a 604 anymore I live in vancouver" like good luck dipshit there's millions of people here and the NANP is somehow even more shittily allocated than the IPv4 space

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
the juxtaposition itt of young himbo going out on their very first date and a bunch of olds talking about long distance telephone service is pretty good

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Roosevelt posted:

the juxtaposition itt of young himbo going out on their very first date and a bunch of olds talking about long distance telephone service is pretty good

is that what the h in hbag stands for

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
cant wait to mug this dumbass student i met online

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lmao

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i started a long-term relationship somewhere much worse than discord so, yeah, pretty tame. have a cheeky pint with a fit bird ya bloke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bump_fn posted:

cant wait to mug this dumbass student i met online