Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Looking for a very complete ratchet+socket set for professional use. Quality is one thing but an even bigger factor is readability. I want sockets with engravings/markings that are highly visible and resistant to wear. And with a good carrying case. Any suggestions for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

melon cat posted:

Looking for a very complete ratchet+socket set for professional use. Quality is one thing but an even bigger factor is readability. I want sockets with engravings/markings that are highly visible and resistant to wear. And with a good carrying case. Any suggestions for this?

You might look into Proto, we buy them at work and they take a lot of abuse pretty well, especially the sockets themselves. I cannot really speak to the availability of sets or the quality of ratchets as they don't get put to much hard use but they do make some that have a fairly fine gearing I think. The markings are deep stampings though more medium size than large. They stay visible for ages and immediately came to mind. The brand seems to be very common in industrial settings.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Use paint markers (thinner tips work well) on the numbers then 24hrs later use Chrome polish to clean it up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Wera might be worth checking out too. At least some have nice colorful bands and pretty large size etchings. The 3/8” and 1/4” set I’ve got have been great for carrying around for handyman and auto repair type stuff. Plenty of kit, but it’s not necessarily a completionist’s set. I can post some links from KCTool.com later.

1/2” SAE: https://www.kctool.com/wera-004079-zyklop-speed-ratchet-1-2-drive-sae-set/
Metric Tool Check: https://www.kctool.com/wera-073220-tool-check-1-sb-bit-ratchet-set-with-sockets-metric/

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 9, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Comatoast posted:

There is a recall on Dewalt Miter Saws, models DWS779, DWS780 and DHS790 manufactured from 2019-2022. Something about a piece of plastic guard that gets cut off in certain situations. It doesn't look too serious to me, but I thought to post it just the same.

Thank you for posting this! I checked and my saw is one of the ones recalled.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

melon cat posted:

Not sure about other "pro" sets but my last neighbor was a Mac tool dude and their stuff seemed high quality and the markings are large and deep, however not high contrast. (At least on the few I have)

Not sure if everyone gets this treatment but if anything was even remotely wrong with any of the tools we got from him they were always replaced at no charge, even years after purchase.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rakeris posted:

Not sure about other "pro" sets but my last neighbor was a Mac tool dude and their stuff seemed high quality and the markings are large and deep, however not high contrast. (At least on the few I have)

Not sure if everyone gets this treatment but if anything was even remotely wrong with any of the tools we got from him they were always replaced at no charge, even years after purchase.

Mac tools are one of the top level brands that legit mechanics use and thus are :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm looking to organize my most used tools into a low footprint stand, but I also need to be able to quickly access and return them. I am thinking I'll 3D print something, but I'd love some inspiration if any of you have (seen) some variant of this. Right now my calipers, "stabby screwdriver" etc. are just always somewhere on or around my desk and I really would love some low footprint thing where I can park them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Peg board.

Also the sockets I have that are the most readable are snap on as cliche as that is. The Mac and Pronto sockets I have are good too but snap on is easier to read.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Guyver posted:

Peg board.

Nah, I want to be able to easily reach the stuff on my desk, anything wall mounted is just cumbersome for quick access outside a standing workshop.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

the Milwaukee impact sockets have the sizes engraved and filled w paint, thy come in carrying cases too

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I have not been able to use it, but the new 3M sander is just lovely, even without load the vibration is minimal, electronic speed control, soft start. Can't wait 6 weeks to use it :eng99:. Stupid surgery recovery.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I need to buy a miter saw to do trim. Normally with a want I will wait until something good goes on sale but I need this within the next week. Any suggestions for a 10" single bevel thats either worth MSRP or happens to be on sale? Features that make it easier for a DIYer would be extremely helpful (lasers or whatever?) too. After this project I would like to be able to use it for other things too.

For trim specifically, is a stand that has support arms a must have to make it easier?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Using a miter saw on the floor sucks. If you got a decent size table that you can put in the middle of the room you could probably make due without a stand. That said $150 gets you a stand that isn’t trash. I think most new saws have it but the built in clamp is nice just don’t let it mark up your material. 12” saws can cut a 4x4 post, which is handy for outdoor projects.

Lowes has a 12” dual bevel with stand for $350, which is good but not great deal
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-12-..._-0-_-10451-_-0

Other idea is go to menards if you have one because they stock something dumb like 8 different miter saws.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I need to buy a miter saw to do trim. Normally with a want I will wait until something good goes on sale but I need this within the next week. Any suggestions for a 10" single bevel thats either worth MSRP or happens to be on sale? Features that make it easier for a DIYer would be extremely helpful (lasers or whatever?) too. After this project I would like to be able to use it for other things too.

For trim specifically, is a stand that has support arms a must have to make it easier?

Lasers are stupid, imo, but there may be an entire chorus of disagreement on that. Good lighting and just shaving the piece toward where blade meets mark beats a laser.

Echoing Calidus, a stand (at the right height) with supports is a must-have. It's easy enough to build one. You want your body in the most non-contorted posture with the material at a comfortable visual range, so as to be mindful of your two good hands.

Walk through the tool section of your lumberyard and get a feel for what they have. You may end up wanting a bigger, better saw than what you've indicated. It's a tricky proposition just going by the internet for something like that, imho, jimho.

Calidus posted:

Using a miter saw on the floor sucks. If you got a decent size table that you can put in the middle of the room you could probably make due without a stand. That said $150 gets you a stand that isn’t trash. I think most new saws have it but the built in clamp is nice just don’t let it mark up your material. 12” saws can cut a 4x4 post, which is handy for outdoor projects.

Lowes has a 12” dual bevel with stand for $350, which is good but not great deal
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-12-..._-0-_-10451-_-0

Other idea is go to menards if you have one because they stock something dumb like 8 different miter saws.
Considering the DeWalt that changed the landscape 20 years ago was a single bevel 12" for 3-400, that sounds like a great deal to me.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Sorry, I should have specified that I have a Worx Pegasus that should work as a stand for it (I think?) but was curious if getting a stand that specifically has those extendable arms was worthwhile and helpful for a small job. Like this guy https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Aluminum-Adjustable-Miter-Saw-Stand/3326150

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

You going to need something to support the end material away from the blade. The advantage of the adjustable arms is just that you can adjust them. They generally also can function as a stop block if you need to make duplicate cuts, that said I think this sounds more useful than it actually is. If your not using arms then you probably need a saw horse or adjustable roller stand.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Sorry, I should have specified that I have a Worx Pegasus that should work as a stand for it (I think?) but was curious if getting a stand that specifically has those extendable arms was worthwhile and helpful for a small job. Like this guy https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Aluminum-Adjustable-Miter-Saw-Stand/3326150

I have this and it’s pretty rad, it’s a solid table and provides a lot of adjustment options. The stop block functionality on the wings is solid, they don’t move an inch. Its also a sizeable stand in general, and feels really well built.

However, in transparency, it came for free with the purchase of the saw (thanks, Black Friday), so I dunno if I’d pay the full price.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apropos of nothing: amazon has skilsaw mag77s for $152, about $50 off which is a really good price, so if anyone's been thinking about pulling the trigger ........
https://a.co/d/0ScXkn8

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

You absolutely can use a miter saw for trim without any support at the ends. It's slightly easier and more comfortable with support. If the money is worth a slight increase in comfort, go for it. If you're hesitating, wondering if it's worth it, you'll survive without it. It took me 15 years of DIY level saw use before I finally bought this Ridgid stand, and it's been nice to have, but more so for heavy stuff like 4x4s that are harder to handle cantilevering off the saw.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Schiavona posted:

I have this and it’s pretty rad, it’s a solid table and provides a lot of adjustment options. The stop block functionality on the wings is solid, they don’t move an inch. Its also a sizeable stand in general, and feels really well built.

FWIW, I've had one for about 18 months and the wings have started to droop.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

With my miter saw, and I think a lot (most?) of them, the table is 3" high, so you can use a couple scraps of 2x on either side as support, if you set it on a workbench or table or something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slugworth posted:

You absolutely can use a miter saw for trim without any support at the ends. It's slightly easier and more comfortable with support. If the money is worth a slight increase in comfort, go for it. If you're hesitating, wondering if it's worth it, you'll survive without it. It took me 15 years of DIY level saw use before I finally bought this Ridgid stand, and it's been nice to have, but more so for heavy stuff like 4x4s that are harder to handle cantilevering off the saw.

Yep. I did a 1500 square feet house worth of trim (and 600sqft) of laminate without a stand, squatting on the floor like Gollum. Then I bought that Ridgid stand and I wish I bought it day one.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a feeling the worx table I have should be adequate as a surface to place it on and HD has it fifty cheaper than Lowes but without the free, armless stand so I'll probably go with that. Thanks for the advice!

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

That Ridgid stand is great, really easy to fold with the saw on it to save space in the garage or throw in the back of your truck, it moves around like a hand truck when it's folded.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

it's not just comfort, if the cutting stock isnt parallel to the base of the saw it'll mess with the cutting angle of the saw and the miter angles will look bad. so then you gotta use your free hand to hold it flat while cutting with the other and it's no good in my opinion

i cut on the floor plenty but still use a couple blocks to prop the stock up, as others have mentioned

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

it's not just comfort, if the cutting stock isnt parallel to the base of the saw it'll mess with the cutting angle of the saw and the miter angles will look bad. so then you gotta use your free hand to hold it flat while cutting with the other and it's no good in my opinion

i cut on the floor plenty but still use a couple blocks to prop the stock up, as others have mentioned
Yeah, but aren't you using your free hand to hold the piece in place anyway? So you apply a small amount of downward pressure while doing so, and with trim, it stays nice and flat on the saw, even if the end is bending. Definitely more of a pain with heavier stock though, and less safe.

Blocks are fine, but it sounds like he's planning on cutting on a stand without support arms.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Enjoy a rabbit hole: http://wet-dry-vac.com/wet-dry-vacuum-guide.html

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

canyoneer posted:

Yep. I did a 1500 square feet house worth of trim (and 600sqft) of laminate without a stand, squatting on the floor like Gollum. Then I bought that Ridgid stand and I wish I bought it day one.

How do you cut laminate with a miter box?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

How do you cut laminate with a miter box?

My compound miter has more than enough travel to cut the common widths of laminate.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

My compound miter has more than enough travel to cut the common widths of laminate.

When someone mentions laminate, my mind goes to countertop rips. We're probably apples and oranges on this one. He's talking flooring maybe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

When someone mentions laminate, my mind goes to countertop rips. We're probably apples and oranges on this one. He's talking flooring maybe?

Oh...yeah, I'm definitely talking flooring. I didn't think about countertops at all.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

as a sql db person, this website loving rules

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yep, flooring. Miter saw for the crosscuts, circular saw for the rips.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
I want to get a cordless tire inflator and a lawn sprayer. Right now I have EGO and Bosch 12V batteries/tools but it looks like neither of those have what I’m looking for.

Any recommendations? I’m definitely on the very casual DIY side of things.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bishop Beo posted:

I want to get a cordless tire inflator and a lawn sprayer. Right now I have EGO and Bosch 12V batteries/tools but it looks like neither of those have what I’m looking for.

I've seen complaints about the Ryobi inflator, but mine works okay on my car. It's slower than my compressor's volume, but it's way more portable. Their 5 gallon sprayer is awesome for trees and gardens. If you're doing random patches of weeds, probably fine there too. The number of different cordless tools they have is absurd.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

For tire inflators I really like my DeWalt (DCC020IB), works great for air mattresses too. Really wish it had USB ports or something too though, it'd be perfect for camping.

Edit: lol it's $40 more expensive than when I bought it a year and a half ago, sheesh

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 11, 2022

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Bishop Beo posted:

I just bought a cordless tire inflator, and Jesus I dont know why I didnt buy one years ago. I live on a small acreage and things ALWAYS have flat tires. No more lugging around a loving air bubble.

I've used it already this morning. I went cheap and bought the HF Bauer inflator for $25 because my wife had the "better" battery and changer for another Bauer tool.
I think tool+battery+charger would be around $70. If I didnt have the battery and changer I would get the Ridgid tire inflator.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-cordless-0-160-psi-inflator-tool-only-56546.html

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Fifty Three posted:

For tire inflators I really like my DeWalt (DCC020IB), works great for air mattresses too. Really wish it had USB ports or something too though, it'd be perfect for camping.

Edit: lol it's $40 more expensive than when I bought it a year and a half ago, sheesh

I bought one of these last year and I use it way more than I thought I would.

I also have the 2 gallon Ryobi sprayer which has been great (It's the only Ryobi tool I own). Dewalt has a 4 gallon backpack sprayer out now that has pretty good reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just bought the ryobi dual inflator (high volume and pressure) and its great. Super small, you can dial in the pressure on the high side, the high volume hose is great for pool toys/paddle boards etc. I've pumped up my 11' inflatable paddle board several times with a 4ah battery with zero drop in charge judging by the indicator. Its nice and small. The hose on the high volume is pretty cheap and I could see needing to replace with something better or DIY it. Since I also have dewalt I looked at that but it was nearly double the price. I did consider it due to the battery, 12v and AC ability but honestly my use case for this thing will rarely ever need plugging in.