Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Stravag posted:

I knew urbies were always babby mechs but i still thought they were a little taller

10-16 meters, with a few 'Mechs being notably taller. The Urbie's pretty close to the 10m end of the scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

10-16 meters, with a few 'Mechs being notably taller. The Urbie's pretty close to the 10m end of the scale.

guessing like, the Annihilator would top the height chart?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Atlas, Banshee and Berserker are all noted for being pretty tall.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

guessing like, the Annihilator would top the height chart?

It's comparable to the Atlas.

The Kraken tops out at 22 meters or so, since it's a hundred tonner with the oversized negative quirk. My headcannon is that they made the Kraken look really big so aerospace fighter pilots would be baited into attacking it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Five stories tall is pretty big

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im going to be honest, MWO giving urbies a waist and not having them be literal trashcan bodies is making me mad

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MWO is a child that was taught all the wrong names for colors and shapes.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

LeschNyhan posted:

I mean, maybe the Grasshopper as your secondary target if you happen to kill the Mad Cat quickly?
Okay, orders in - trying to take out that Mad Cat.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Ardlen posted:

Okay, orders in - trying to take out that Mad Cat.

Cool, orders in. You have some extra support on the Mad cat from the Razorback. The others are diving the Grasshopper, which may or may not be a bad call, but should be ok if we get enough guns on it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, my boss (is) quit(ting); and since she was the glue that was keeping things together at work I've begun an active job search of my own.

This won't impact the thread for now (as long as people keep getting orders in), but it might in the future depending on what I turn up.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, my boss (is) quit(ting); and since she was the glue that was keeping things together at work I've begun an active job search of my own.

This won't impact the thread for now (as long as people keep getting orders in), but it might in the future depending on what I turn up.

Godspeed, goon sir. May your success be quicker than it was for me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lucky is such a good defensive ability.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lucky is such a good defensive ability.

I guess we find out how much poo poo I just dodged.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Galatea 2-7 Galatean Games (Champion Crush)

The Black Knight rocked as a wave of missiles and lasers struck it directly, shredding its armor and scouring away the myomer and ferro-titanium bones that formed its internal structure. It twisted, trying to shield itself from the incoming missiles with its arms, but even that wasn’t enough to protect it.

“drat,” Cherry Bomb cursed. “You alright, Frost?”

“They’ve blown past my armor,” Frost admitted. After a few moments, they added, “No critical damage. I got really lucky.”

“Jackalopes,” Raniya interrupted. “Can you get on that Mad Cat before it cools down?”

“No promises,” Shotel replied almost instantly. “We’ll see what we can do.”

Movement
Black Knight
- [Combat Intuition] attacks Mad Cat Mk. III (4 skill + 2 range + 2 tmm + 1 heat = 9): rolled 8, missed!
Stormwolf Prime
- [Combat Intuition] Attacks Mad Cat Mk. III (3 skill + 2 range + 2 tmm + 1 blood stalker = 8): rolled 9, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolled 9, hit! 2/5 armor remaining!

Players
Command Lance
Black Knight
- n/a
Stormwolf Prime
- n/a
Vindicator
- Attacks Archer #1 (4 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 jumped = 8): rolled 9, hit! 5/7 armor remaining!
Trebuchet
- Attacks Grasshopper with Narc Homing Beacon (4 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 jumped = 8): rolled 4, missed!
- Attacks Grasshopper (4 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 jumped = 8): rolled 3, missed!

Medium Battle Lance
Excalibur
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Attacks Owens (3 base + 2 range + 4 tmm + 1 woods = 10): rolled 5, missed!
Shadow Hawk
- Attacks Lancelot (4 base + 0 range + [3] tmm = 7): rolled 3, missed!
Preta Caelestis
- Attacks Owens (3 base + 2 range + [3] tmm = 8): rolled 6, missed!
Kheper
- Attacks Owens (3 base + 2 range + 4 tmm + 1 woods = 10): rolled 6, missed!

Light Battle Lance
Jackalope #1
- Attacks Grasshopper (3 skill + 0 range + 1 tmm = 4): rolled 9, hit! 4/7 armor remaining!
Jackalope #2
- Attacks Grasshopper (4 skill + 0 range + 1 tmm = 5): rolled 5, hit! 1/7 armor remaining!
Firestarter
- Attacks Grasshopper: PTN’s note: This is 50/50 and the target can’t return fire, so it declines to take the attack.
Razorback
- Attacks Mad Cat Mk. III (3 skill + 2 range + 2 tmm = 7): rolled 9, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolled 6, missed!

OpForce
Medium Battle Lance
Mad Cat III
- Attacks Black Knight w/ Overheat 3 (4 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 10, hit! 0/7 armor, 3/4 structure remaining! Crit!
- - Gains 3 heat!
- - Black Knight suffers a critical hit: Rolls 2, ammo hit! ENE special protects the Black Knight from Ammo Hits, no critical hit sustained!
Hitotsume Kozo
- Attacks Excalibur (4 skill + 4 range + 3 jumping TMM = 11): rolled 5, missed!
Panther #1
- Attacks Razorback (3 skill + [2] range (sniper) + [3] tmm - 1 stationary = 7): rolled 7, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolls 4, missed!
Panther #2
- Attacks Jackalope #2 (4 skill + [2] range (sniper) + 4 tmm - 1 stationary = 9): rolled 3, missed!

Grand Dragon (ACE!)
- Attacks Firestarter (3 skill + 0 range + 3 jumping tmm = 6): rolled 6, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolls 8, hit! 0/4 armor remaining!
Lancelot
- Attacks Shadow Hawk (4 skill + 0 range + 3 jumping tmm = 7): rolled 7, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolls 3, missed!
Catapult
- Holds fire!
Grasshopper
- Attacks Preta (4 skill + 2 range + 3 jumping tmm = 9): rolled 7, missed!

Owens
- Attacks Kheper with TAG (4 skill + 2 range + 2 tmm = 8): rolled 5, missed!
- Attacks Kheper with TSEMP (4 skill + 2 range + 2 tmm = 8): rolled 6, missed!
Archer #1
- Attacks Vindicator (4 skill + 2 range + 2 tmm = 8): rolled 6, missed!
Archer #2
- Holds fire!

Objectives
Primary Objective(s)
- Completely destroy one enemy lance (1/4)
OR
- Drive the enemy from the field (1/6)

Bonus Objective(s)
- 100 to 0: Completely Destroy a Single ‘Mech in One Turn (complete!)
- Critical Mess: Score critical hits on two different ‘Mechs in the same turn (0/1)
- Shared Fate: Destroy a single ‘Mech from each enemy lance (1/3)
- May Day: Destroy the Red Baron’s Grand Dragon (0/1)
- Headhunter: Cripple, but do not kill one enemy ‘Mech (0/1)
- Even Trade: Take down an enemy ‘Mech in the same turn you lose a ‘Mech (0/1)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
[n/a]

OpForce Status:

Salvage Acquired
Battlefield: 1
Field: 2
Potential Salvage Catalogue Entry: FEC-1CM Fennec, 2x Random Salvage chance

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

That could have gone better.

Did the Dragon really burst through that high-rise to shoot the Firestarter?! And what are the rules if I want to do the same?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
yeah if the Grand Dragon busted through the walls there, shouldn't there be a test to avoid damage? Or something? 'Cause I know he ain't on the roof, and if Kool-Aid Manning is free in Alpha Strike that means I've been maneuvering *all* wrong

(of course I missed all my shots for the second turn in a row so it's arguable I've been doing that anyway)

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I'm going to go deep and try to cause problems to buy myself maneuvering room for next round, and hopefully I don't run out of Lance Lucky pips myself. The Grasshopper and Lancelot are both wounded and somewhat exposed. The name of the game is focus fire, so let's make sure we kill something this round.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

yeah if the Grand Dragon busted through the walls there, shouldn't there be a test to avoid damage? Or something? 'Cause I know he ain't on the roof, and if Kool-Aid Manning is free in Alpha Strike that means I've been maneuvering *all* wrong

Buildings just eat MP when you run through them. A heavy building is +3 mp/hex

They're only damaging if they collapse. :pseudo:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Maybe I missed it, but why did the razorback have to reroll it’s hit on the madcat? Is the opfor also lucky?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The OpForce has a Battle Lance too. I don't always assign lance types to the OpForce, but these are experienced mercenaries.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good luck with life PopTarts! As always this thread is a plesaure to read!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Buildings just eat MP when you run through them. A heavy building is +3 mp/hex

They're only damaging if they collapse. :pseudo:

:unsmigghh:

Goonlance, KILL.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Volmarias posted:

:unsmigghh:

Goonlance, KILL.

Believe me, if that motherfucker wasn't an Ace I'd already have asked how much damage it'd take to drop the building on him

alas

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

So, I think it's my turn to try to swat the Owens. Current plan is to move the Trebuchet to 1028 and the Stormwolf to 0928. The Razorback is more than welcome to join in.

Jumping the Vindicator to 0816 to try for a difficult backshot at the Mad Cat; I think they'll have cover against the Catapult from there?

Meanwhile, the Black Knight is more hole than 'Mech, so I don't think they'll last too many more turns.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

make like a catapult and get the black knight out of there!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Ardlen posted:

So, I think it's my turn to try to swat the Owens. Current plan is to move the Trebuchet to 1028 and the Stormwolf to 0928. The Razorback is more than welcome to join in.

Jumping the Vindicator to 0816 to try for a difficult backshot at the Mad Cat; I think they'll have cover against the Catapult from there?

Meanwhile, the Black Knight is more hole than 'Mech, so I don't think they'll last too many more turns.

The Owens is a trap, we have to roll 9s and 10s to hit it when we could be taking actual guns off the field, and it's dodge-tanked everything we've thrown at it. My vote is to leave the Owens alone and just keep putting damage on the other targets.

edit: orders in. I'm going deep to threaten the Panthers next turn, and hopefully this turn I can knock out the Grasshopper (or if someone does that before my turn, my contingencies are to put more fire on the Mad Cat).

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 13, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

edit: orders in.

If they are, I didn't get them. :(

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Re-sent! Sorry, I forgot to update the turn number I think, so it might have looked like last turn's orders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm still short orders, so I'm going to hold off on updating.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm still short orders, so I'm going to hold off on updating.
If it's me, I just triple-checked and you should have gotten my orders on Saturday.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 17, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

no, it's me, I've been distracted by my wife's birthday

I apologize and will get the orders in ASAP, likely tonight

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

no, it's me, I've been distracted by my wife's birthday

That's a fair excuse, no worries.

I hope your wife has a happy birthday!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Galatea 2-8 Galatean Games (Champion Crush)

Frontline dropped behind a decrepit pachinko parlor, vanishing from the sight of the badly damaged Catapult that seemed to be hunting him. Its missile bay doors popped open a second before he vanished from sight and then—nothing. The MRM-armed Catapult had no way to fire its unguided rockets in a way that would even mildly inconvenience him. Frontline could have finished it, taking out a heavy ‘Mech would probably be worth trading fire in the long run, but he was after more dangerous prey.

His reticle dropped onto the retreating back of the Mad Cat III. It was a design favored by the Republic’s Knights for its speed and firepower. It had probably never been a Republic machine—the Sea Foxes visited Galatea on a semi-regular basis, but it was still irritating to see one painted up in mercenary colors and splashed with Kurita red.

He took a shot with his ER PPC, then fired his ER medium lasers and pulse lasers the second the beam’s distortion faded. His shots carved into the Mad Cat’s back and it tumbled; then cracked and crushed concrete as its chin struck the ground.

Movement
Firestarter
- Bogs down in hex 2015!
Black Knight
- [Combat Intuition] Holds fire!
Stormwolf Prime
- [Combat Intuition] Attacks Owens (3 skill + 0 range + 4 tmm + 1 blood stalker = 8): rolled 3, missed!

Players
Command Lance
Black Knight
- n/a
- Sinks 1 heat!
Stormwolf Prime
- n/a
Vindicator
- Attacks Mad Cat III with Overheat 2 (4 skill + 2 range + 2 tmm + 1 jumped = 9): rolled 10, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolled 9, hit! Rear armor hit deals +1 damage! 0/5 armor, 0/3 structure remaining! ’Mech destroyed!
Trebuchet
- Attacks Owens with NARC Homing Beacon (4 skill + 0 range + 4 tmm = 8): rolled 11, hit!
- Attacks Owens (4 skill + 0 range + 4 tmm = 8): rolled 8, hit! NARC causes LRM to deal +1 damage! 0/4 armor remaining!

Medium Battle Lance
Excalibur
- Attacks Lancelot (3 skill + 2 range + [3] tmm = 8): rolled 5, missed!
Shadow Hawk
- Attacks Lancelot (4 skill + 2 range + [3] tmm = 9): rolled 8, missed!
Preta Caelestis
- Attacks Lancelot (3 skill + 0 range + [3] tmm = 6): rolled 7, hit! 0/7 armor, 1/3 structure remaining! Headhunter conditions met!
- Critical hit! Rolls 11, engine hit!
Kheper
- Attacks Lancelot (3 skill + 2 range + [3] tmm = 8): rolled 8, hit! 0/3 structure remaining!

Light Battle Lance
Jackalope #1
- Attacks Grasshopper (3 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 partial cover = 7): rolled 7, hit! Rear armor hit deals +1 damage! 0/7 armor, 3/6 structure remaining!
- Critical hit! Rolls 7, MP hit!
Jackalope #2
- Attacks Grasshopper (4 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 8, hit! Rear armor hit deals +1 damage! 0/6 structure remaining! ’Mech destroyed!
Firestarter
- Attacks Hitotsume-Kozo (4 skill + 0 range + 2 jumping TMM = 6): rolled 8, hit! Rear armor hit deals +1 damage! 5/8 armor remaining!
- Attacks Hitosume-Kozo with Heat Attack (4 skill + 0 range + 2 jumping tmm = 6): rolled 6, hit! Hitotsume-Kozo gains 2 heat!
Razorback
- Attacks Panther #1 (3 skill + 2 range + 0 stationary target + 1 woods = 6): rolled 12, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolled 6, hit! 2/4 armor remaining!

OpForce
Medium Battle Lance
Mad Cat III
- Attacks Preta w/ Overheat 1 (4 skill + 2 range + 3 jumping tmm + 3 heat = 12): rolled 6, missed!
Hitotsume Kozo
- Attacks Trebuchet (4 skill + 4 range + 2 TMM = 10): rolled 9, missed!
Panther #1
- Attacks Razorback (3 skill + [1] range (sniper) + [3] tmm - 1 stationary = 6): rolled 10, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolls 5, missed!
Panther #2
- Attacks Razorback (4 skill + [2] range (sniper) + [3] tmm - 1 stationary = 8): rolled 10, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolls 8, hit! 2/4 armor remaining! MOS 0, no critical hit sustained!

Grand Dragon (ACE!)
- Attacks Jackalope #1 (3 skill + 0 range + [5] jumping tmm = 8): rolled 7, missed!
Lancelot
- Attacks Preta (4 skill + 0 range + 3 jumping tmm = 7): rolled 8, hit!
- - Lance Lucky forces reroll: rolls 5, missed!
Catapult
- Holds fire!
Grasshopper
- Holds fire!

Owens
- Attacks Black Knight with TAG (4 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 4, missed!
- Attacks Black Knight with TSEMP (4 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 6, missed!
Archer #1
- Holds fire!
Archer #2
- Holds fire!

Objectives
Primary Objective(s)
- Completely destroy one enemy lance (2/4)
OR
- Drive the enemy from the field (4/6)

Bonus Objective(s)
- 100 to 0: Completely Destroy a Single ‘Mech in One Turn (complete!)
- Critical Mess: Score critical hits on two different ‘Mechs in the same turn (complete!)
- Shared Fate: Destroy a single ‘Mech from each enemy lance (complete!)
- May Day: Destroy the Red Baron’s Grand Dragon (0/1)
- Even Trade: Take down an enemy ‘Mech in the same turn you lose a ‘Mech (0/1)
- Precision Execution: Destroy more than two enemy ‘Mechs in the same turn (complete!)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
[n/a]

OpForce Status:

Salvage Acquired
Battlefield: 4
Field: 2
Potential Salvage Catalogue Entry: FEC-1CM Fennec, Mad Cat III, LN25-09 Lancelot, GHR-8K Grasshopper, 2x Random Salvage chance

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 25, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Mad cat salvage!!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That was a pretty brilliant maneuver from the Vindicator right there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Should be updated

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volmarias posted:

Should be updated

Until the fight is over there's still the chance someone will kill it.

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019
Didn't the players achieve "Critical Mess" this turn?
- Critical Mess: Score critical hits on two different ‘Mechs in the same turn (0/1)

Preta Caelestis
- Attacks Lancelot (3 skill + 0 range + [3] tmm = 6): rolled 7, hit! 0/7 armor, 1/3 structure remaining! Headhunter conditions met!
- Critical hit! Rolls 11, engine hit!

Jackalope #1
- Attacks Grasshopper (3 skill + 2 range + 1 tmm + 1 partial cover = 7): rolled 7, hit! Rear armor hit deals +1 damage! 0/7 armor, 3/6 structure remaining!
- Critical hit! Rolls 7, MP hit!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

smdvogrin posted:

Didn't the players achieve "Critical Mess" this turn?

Good call. In my head that one required both targets to survive the round but that's not what I wrote down so I'll count it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shouldn't headhunter still be up for the lancelot?